Diagne | Page 22 | Syracusefan.com

Diagne

Chukwu is Diagne replacement but are playing with 9 players(and Christian White) next year and playing long term with him.
How big is Jamal Custis his body may be needed?

Chukwu is Diagne replacement but are playing with 9 players(and Christian White) next year and playing long term with him.
How big is Jamal Custis his body may be needed?
6-6, 230. I was thinking the same thing earlier this year. The dude did have an offer from SMU to play ball.

FYI, According to Brent Axe. Syracuse will continue the relationship.

But again. Why can't he just go prep for a year ? Then enroll next year.

He can but that rarely happens in our program. Doesn't mean it won't happen but it is rare. I would also add that its this year that really hurts because of depth at the 5 and likely no option to replace him at this point. We can still add a big next year and have one coming off of sitting out due to transfer.

6-6, 230. I was thinking the same thing earlier this year. The dude did have an offer from SMU to play ball.
If he could be an emergency SF or PF the team could throw Roberson at C in a pinch.

Because it depends on how many credits shy he is. If it's like the Marquise Blair situation in football, he'll have to make up more than a year's worth of credits, so prep school is not an option.

Because it depends on how many credits shy he is. If it's like the Marquise Blair situation in football, he'll have to make up more than a year's worth of credits, so prep school is not an option.
Is Custis redshirting for FB? If so that could help his availability late in the FB season.

So, we need SU to NOT make a bowl game so that Custis will be available in December ...

but we need SU to make a bowl game so Shafer keeps his job.

:bang:
Nah, as long as we've got the extra depth during ACC play we'll be fine.

CuseHulk said:
FYI, According to Brent Axe. Syracuse will continue the relationship. But again. Why can't he just go prep for a year ? Then enroll next year.

If you fail to meet standards in more than one course, you have to go JC. See Marquise Blair.

Alsacs said:
Is Custis redshirting for FB? If so that could help his availability late in the FB season.

He's not red shirting.

“@MikeWatersSYR: I expect that to happen, but not til late Dec/Jan. @ It'd be nice to get Jamal Custis to walk on, if only another sizable body.”

No, it's not. It's wishful thinking. I suffer from it as well. But we know nothing for sure.
He doesn't play the What If game.
On a serious note I do believe we will get some relief but not sure what.

I gotta say, the overwhelming negativity towards Chino is a bit much. No, he didn't do much last year, but what freshmen big man for SU has? I seem to recall Fab Melo and Rak both getting pulled almost immediately when they made mistakes. Yes, they certainly both had a much higher ceiling than Chino, but to assume that the kid has made no progress in a year when he's been working with both Rak and Coleman seems far-fetched. Even if he can just give us a solid 10-15 minutes a game (he played 6.8 per last year in 13 games) that would be acceptable. And he certainly doesn't need to do much of anything on offense, as I think we're rather loaded up there between Silent G, Cooney, Roberson, Richardson, and Lydon, who all have pretty solid games.

That said, the NCAA can seriously kiss my @$$. Has there even been a reason announced as to why he is ineligible? I know it's something to do with his Senegalese transcript, but what exactly? How is it acceptable that they can completely alter these kids futures yet not even give a detailed explanation of why. Some kind of accountability sure would be nice, as this $#it is getting old.

Last edited:
Agreed. It has nothing to do with whether Roberson is a better player than Obokoh -- he clearly is. But if you understand our system, we can't play Roberson in the pivot. The same way we couldn't play Hakim in the pivot. ...

He had his moments at the 5...

In a tight game late my money's still on Roberson. Can't play 4 on 5 offensively against UNC/Duke/UVA etc

Joking aside, I fear you're right. Boeheim's got a history of going small rather than going with the stiff - no different than last year when he kept going round-peg-in-square-hole with McCullough (after Sean Williams, truly the worst Syracuse center I've ever watched) backing up Christmas.

It's not an intuitive move, but it's the safe and conservative one, and history has showed which Boeheim prefers. (For my money, I'd rather see Obokoh come in and give an effort while keeping Roberson at his strong position.)

Last edited:
This is really an epic failure by the staff. They knew we had no margin for error this year. None, especially with the bigs. This "problem" didn't just come up -- people on this board suspected it for months. The staff knew or should have known there was a risk, assessed and risk and moved on to someone who can play right now. It's not a crime to pull an offer in such circumstances. God, does our staff not know the rulebook on eligibility at this point, or should we rent the UK guy? Meanwhile, Thomas Bryant goes elsewhere as we had "no room at the inn".
This does not happen to elite programs (after another year like last, we are elite only in memory).
Sorry -- can't handle the apologists any longer. Flame away from your 2003 dream world. This is an error -- and an unforced one at that. Will anyone be accountable?

This is really an epic failure by the staff. They knew we had no margin for error this year. None, especially with the bigs. This "problem" didn't just come up -- people on this board suspected it for months. The staff knew or should have known there was a risk, assessed and risk and moved on to someone who can play right now. It's not a crime to pull an offer in such circumstances. God, does our staff not know the rulebook on eligibility at this point, or should we rent the UK guy? Meanwhile, Thomas Bryant goes elsewhere as we had "no room at the inn".
This does not happen to elite programs (after another year like last, we are elite only in memory).
Sorry -- can't handle the apologists any longer. Flame away from your 2003 dream world. This is an error -- and an unforced one at that. Will anyone be accountable?
What a ridiculous post. And what exactly did you expect SU to do? Pull the scholarship from Diagne and give it to someone else this summer? Yeah, that would look great for future recruiting. I'm sure no other coaches would use that against us at all... Not to mention, all accounts, including Moustapha himself and his host dad, pointed to him being eligible and on-campus. Imagine if he had been deemed eligible and we had pulled his scholly. That would have been a PR nightmare.

You know who should be held accountable? The NCAA. They're the ones that just f***ed up this kids life. Why? He was a good student here, and he had acceptable test scores and did everything he was asked to do in the US. So why exactly is he being punished? Seriously, get off your soapbox.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
sturner5150

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom