Dino Babers thread... | Page 19 | Syracusefan.com

Dino Babers thread...

Thank you very much for joining and being willing to provide information and answer questions. Can understand how difficult as a fan it can be to lose a head coach...obviously. If Dino is the next HC at the Cuse, I wish Bowling Green and it's fans good luck in replacing him and hope you guys get another winner!!

Haha, thanks...as much as it stinks losing coaches, it also makes BG a desirable place to come coach at, much of that in part to Urban Meyer's success. If Dino does leave, the program will be looking for its third coach in five seasons so there are concerns about losing recruits but we're confident our AD will find the right fit and continue the success we've had for the past five seasons.

Haha, thanks...as much as it stinks losing coaches, it also makes BG a desirable place to come coach at, much of that in part to Urban Meyer's success. If Dino does leave, the program will be looking for its third coach in five seasons so there are concerns about losing recruits but we're confident our AD will find the right fit and continue the success we've had for the past five seasons.
Greg Schiano and Kurt Flood are available ;)

What is he like as a disciplinarian? Especially with off the field issues. Have seen that his players have had problems at schools he's been at.

BG is near the top of FBS in penalties this year. The team has had an issue with personal fouls and unsportsmanlike penalties which irked some of the fan base.

Off the field he's removed troublemakers from the program. There were three players which were kicked off the team this spring for an altercation at a bar, all of which were on defense and one was going to come back for his sixth year, so he's not scared of taking care of any disciplinary issues.

BG is near the top of FBS in penalties this year. The team has had an issue with personal fouls and unsportsmanlike penalties which irked some of the fan base.

Off the field he's removed troublemakers from the program. There were three players which were kicked off the team this spring for an altercation at a bar, all of which were on defense and one was going to come back for his sixth year, so he's not scared of taking care of any disciplinary issues.

I think we probably led the country in personal fouls from the sideline so we know how it goes.

Hey guys, one of your members stopped by our BG fan site (ay-ziggy-zoomba.com) and offered the invitation to come here and discuss things, so any questions you may have about Dino, his schemes, etc. feel free to ask.
How much do the players love him and does he seem like a father figure?

How much do the players love him and does he seem like a father figure?

Tough question really, considering a good deal of his players were recruited by Dave Clawson. I think the players respect him for his honesty and he's obviously a well-traveled coach and the players certainly enjoy playing within his schemes. I do think it took a year for the players to warm up to him though. A few guys this year mentioned how they felt they were finally "married" to the staff and that last season was an adjustment period for everyone.

I do think it took a year for the players to warm up to him though. A few guys this year mentioned how they felt they were finally "married" to the staff and that last season was an adjustment period for everyone.

Which is totally fair, and I'd expect that almost anywhere when a new coach who didn't recruit you comes in. Sometimes the players don't wind up buying in at all, so the fact they were bought in after a year is actually good news to me.

image.jpeg

Earlier this week, he quickly shot down the UCF job rumors.

Now? He's just saying, "I'm focusing on the MAC championship" but doesn't come close to dismissing the Syracuse rumors.

It has been very quiet the last day or so on Syracuse football rumors. My guess is that it because DB is a done deal and just waiting until after tonight. Wouldn't be surprised if assistant candidates have been contacted and some maybe even hired, with the warning to keep it quiet until DB is announced. That would make the most sense for why it has been so quiet. Actually I think as long as it stays quiet with little to no additional rumors, then it just reinforces the fact the DB is a done deal.

The Official Website of Bowling Green Athletics Let me start out by saying that I love HCSS and believe he will succeed here the right way, but any good Athletic Director should have a short list of good candidates in his back pocket. Anything can happen over the course of a year and you have to be prepared. Bowling Green's defeat of Maryland got me interested in their program. Dino Babers would be on my short list. They finished 8-6 last year even though they lost their starting quarterback and MAC preseason player of the year in the first game of the season. They still finished with 6 receivers who had 20 or more receptions. He will more than likely have the opportunity to move up after this year. He is very impressive in this press conference.
How does this post, made during Week 3 of the 2015 season (heading into CMU game), not have more "Likes"?? OP literally predicted the future & did so respectfully. Kudos.

How does this post, made during Week 3 of the 2015 season (heading into CMU game), not have more "Likes"?? OP literally predicted the future & did so respectfully. Kudos.

Hats off for sure to Cusester -- I remember telling my friends early on in 2015 I wanted DB badly. Insane we actually got him lol

It was funny to look back on this thread and from the overview - Babers was going to UCF and we were going to get Frost. Funny how things flipped (or so it seems)
For about a good one or two days the board thought we were getting Ash after Brisly Estime tweeted it and I have never seen this board any lower.

Another defensive meathead would have broken a lot of diehards.

I didn't think we could get Babers but when we did it was an absolute home run.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jc824

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom