Dino Babers thread... | Page 18 | Syracusefan.com

Dino Babers thread...

The only reason this is dragging on, I would imagine, is because two candidates -- Babers and Brohm -- have teams playing in conference championships. If it was someone else, we probably would have already pulled the trigger. Not to say there isn't a fallback.

we're not interviewing 4-8 idaho's offensive coordinator for our head job. can't be. so i'm wondering what job we are interviewing him for
upload_2015-12-3_9-34-33.jpeg

there is something to be said for petrino's system in a dome. it's a little like the leach air raid in that he's not asking his qb to run around - the brohms didn't run and had no arm strength (remember brian brohm in buffalo? oof) it's not as prolific as the air raid but being somewhat more conventional helps their defense in practice - their defenses aren't as terrible as leach's or kingsbury's.

but baylor's offense has been shown to work without a credible dual threat. you don't have to have robert griffin running the zone read - nassib did just fine taking 5 easy yards and getting down.

paul petrino is way too big a gamble though. might not be his fault that idaho is terrible but man, 4-8 is a tough sell.

if babers doesn't work out and we get a brohm, ok. but paul petrino scares me

Even before Brian Brohm, remember Stephan Lefours, the lefty that beat us in the Dome in 2003. Looked like he couldn't throw the ball 20 yards in the air. Ridiculously efficient, high scoring offense under him.

I'd be fine with Brohm.

Hey guys, one of your members stopped by our BG fan site (ay-ziggy-zoomba.com) and offered the invitation to come here and discuss things, so any questions you may have about Dino, his schemes, etc. feel free to ask.
Obviously we all know his offense, I think what most people want is the lowdown on the defense if you can help us out there.

BGFalcon09 said:
Hey guys, one of your members stopped by our BG fan site (ay-ziggy-zoomba.com) and offered the invitation to come here and discuss things, so any questions you may have about Dino, his schemes, etc. feel free to ask.

Yea, is he our next coach?

How has the Dino led offense fared against teams with Top 50 defenses? Six of our games this year were against teams with Top 25 defenses (BC, Clemson, FSU, LVille, NCST, LSU) and three more were against Top 50 defenses (Pitt, USF, Wake).

Obviously we all know his offense, I think what most people want is the lowdown on the defense if you can help us out there.

I posted this in another thread, but last year his defense was rather awful for lack of a better term. Some of that had to do with guys leaving and some of it had to do with a new scheme, but he had Kim McCloud who was a WR coach in charge of the defense.

This year he hired Brian Ward from Western Illinois and there's been gradual improvement throughout the season. The secondary plays little man coverage under him and the base is the Tampa 2 made popular in the NFL. Not much blitzing but the DL has done a good job at being disruptive and the LBs tackle well. I believe the team leader in turnovers has 5 INTs.

I don't know if he'll bring Ward with him or not, I assume he will and if so, you're getting a good coach on this side of the ball.

How has the Dino led offense fared against teams with Top 50 defenses? Six of our games this year were against teams with Top 25 defenses (BC, Clemson, FSU, LVille, NCST, LSU) and three more were against Top 50 defenses (Pitt, USF, Wake).

He fared well, especially this year. Against two of the better defenses in the MAC (Akron, Kent State) BG scored 62 and 48 points, respectively. The offense has had success against everyone outside of Buffalo (terrible weather) and Toledo (self-inflicted wounds). I will say though biased that BG had arguably the best WR corps in football, along with an experienced OL and talented senior QB.

What kind of recruiter is he? And where are his primary areas of focus (Florida, Ohio, etc)?

He fared well, especially this year. Against two of the better defenses in the MAC (Akron, Kent State) BG scored 62 and 48 points, respectively. The offense has had success against everyone outside of Buffalo (terrible weather) and Toledo (self-inflicted wounds). I will say though biased that BG had arguably the best WR corps in football, along with an experienced OL and talented senior QB.

Thanks I just looked them up. Akron ranked 17 and Kent St. 29. Good to know!

Do you think his offensive scheme will translate at SU against the top ACC schools (Clemson, Florida State, etc)?

as I said in another post Babers has the opportunity to be the first black head coach at the school that had the 1st black Heisman winner .. thats got to be selling point to him and some potential recruits

What kind of recruiter is he? And where are his primary areas of focus (Florida, Ohio, etc)?

He recruited heavily in the midwest last year, specifically Ohio, Indiana, Michigan and Wisconsin...little in Iowa and Missouri. One of the assistants left over from Dave Clawson has Florida ties and was able to get some really good talent to BG which Babers has used to his advantage. Babers has also used transfers to his benefit.

Thank you very much for joining and being willing to provide information and answer questions. Can understand how difficult as a fan it can be to lose a head coach...obviously. If Dino is the next HC at the Cuse, I wish Bowling Green and it's fans good luck in replacing him and hope you guys get another winner!!

Do you think his offensive scheme will translate at SU against the top ACC schools (Clemson, Florida State, etc)?

I think so, but there will be a steep learning curve which may cause some anxiety among your fan base. Babers came to BG last year hyping his offense and the season was largely a disappointment, they finished 8-6 after losing the final three conference games, including a 51-17 loss in the championship game and salvaged their bowl game by barely beating a 6-6 South Alabama team. For many BG fans, the honeymoon period wore off rather quickly after the team got stomped in the first game in 2014 against Western Kentucky.

I think so, but there will be a steep learning curve which may cause some anxiety among your fan base. Babers came to BG last year hyping his offense and the season was largely a disappointment, they finished 8-6 after losing the final three conference games, including a 51-17 loss in the championship game and salvaged their bowl game by barely beating a 6-6 South Alabama team. For many BG fans, the honeymoon period wore off rather quickly after the team got stomped in the first game in 2014 against Western Kentucky.

Well we have basically been going through almost a decade of anxiety...so we are kind of used to it...

BGFalcon09 said:
I would imagine so, yes. However, Dino has been honest and upfront about wanting to win the conference championship before addressing his future, which is admirable in today's college football climate. People I've spoken to who are on the inside believe this is pretty much a done deal though.

What is he like as a disciplinarian? Especially with off the field issues. Have seen that his players have had problems at schools he's been at.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Cuseman17

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom