Dino is my coach | Page 3 | Syracusefan.com

Dino is my coach

I think Dino has done a tremendous job getting the team ready and game planning for each opponent. Those are his strengths. I still question a lot of his in game coaching decisions and the penalties absolutely drive me nuts. He should get a B- for the season so far.

Compare it to the last 2 years instead of the idea of excellence that you carry in your head.
So in your head it is great to go from crappy to OK?

I think Dino has done a tremendous job getting the team ready and game planning for each opponent. Those are his strengths. I still question a lot of his in game coaching decisions and the penalties absolutely drive me nuts. He should get a B- for the season so far.

Yeah my fear is he might not ever figure out those last two things. Those will prevent the program from that taking that next step

We're 5th in the country in rushing yards per game. We're 19th in the country in defensive yardage given up per game. We've outgained every opponent (by considerable margin) except 1. We won that game.

Do we have some issues to work out? Sure. We're not alone.

I feel like you are one of those who looks at 5-4, says Bill Parcells grumble grumble, and wonders why we can't be as good as Georgia.

Taking this momentum and hiring a new coach next year would be the height of stupidity. Thankfully Wildhack won't be doing that.

That guy is an idiot. Not just about this topic, about everything.
This poster does have some valid points (very few) but this is NOT the worst 5-4 team. This team plays with a lot of heart and it is not there fault they are beating teams that are not playing well. You can only beat the teams on your schedule.

So what’s the alternative…crappy to full-on sh * tstorm? Would that be better? I don’t get the logic here.

this is dino's 6th season. ain't no busts in the college football HOF saying "he played them all close".

I agree. A top 40 class, while it hasn’t been done in 20+ years has to be reachable for this staff and the next staff and the staff after that to have any type of sustained success here.

Last point, Syracuse survived these last 20+ years on finding the undervalued recruits like Chandler Jones, Eric Dungey, Sean Tucker etc. The NCAA had continued to help the factory schools recruit talent by creating the 1x transfer rule. Now these schools can indirectly go after players like these that they missed on coming out of high school. It’s more important than ever that Syracuse improves its recruiting because it is at risk of losing these other players that they have been successful in getting.
So far, we have been a net gainer with the portal. As soon as TD was replaced, Taj could see the handwriting on the wall and it probably had little to do with anything else. Where else could he have his own personal QB? We're about to find out.

I agree. A top 40 class, while it hasn’t been done in 20+ years has to be reachable for this staff and the next staff and the staff after that to have any type of sustained success here.
No one will dispute this There’s a difference in expecting it and wanting it.

Last edited:
I think a lot can be gleaned from the “fact” that he has not lost the team. Despite it all, they have played hard every game. It appears they like playing for him.
What’s funny is we lost two blue chip players and IMPROVED. I thought we were dead in the water after Taj and Tommy. It seems to have been for the best for all involved.

Last edited:
If you watch college football you see all of these concerns in every game.
And your point? Sacks and interceptions happen in every game too so if our offensive line is Swiss cheese or our QB a turnover machine does that make those ok as well?

Ive had my criticism with the staff but good lord this guy needs to shut up. We have the nation’s leading rusher, a top 25 defense and just broke a student attendance record. A bowl’s a bowl and 6+ wins is 6+ wins. This team’s the best 6-6 (if we’re fortunate enough to get to 6-6) team i’ll have seen and I’ve only seen 7 or 8 since 2000.
That guy is one of the dumbest guys on Twitter and that’s saying something.

What’s been incredible in the past few games to me is the coaching staff knowing teams will stack the box to stop the run, but the staff has found ways to continue running.

A lot of that is Shrader’s ability to run, but still, the confidence the staff has in the players and blocking schemes is great.

So what’s the alternative…crappy to full-on sh * tstorm? Would that be better? I don’t get the logic here.
No, the logic is that DB may not be the best coach for SU.

I always got the sense that even those who have been critical of Dino also really like the guy, and want him to succeed. The best thing for this program, by far, would be for him to get to a bowl, fill some holes via recruiting and the portal, and capitalize on that momentum next season.

It really serves no purpose to have an agenda against Dino.

No, the logic is that DB may not be the best coach for SU.
Maybe. But there’s likely much more harm in deciding that too soon, then waiting to be triply sure.

I always got the sense that even those who have been critical of Dino also really like the guy, and want him to succeed. The best thing for this program, by far, would be for him to get to a bowl, fill some holes via recruiting and the portal, and capitalize on that momentum next season.

I totally agree with this and am one of those that have been critical. I don't think it is to much to ask for a head coach to get his team to a bowl in consecutive years. To always be the bottom feeder of a conference (minus 1 year) is a gut punch for the true fans. I have been a fan since '71 and those '70 early 80's were some dark years for SU football. It's the longevity of losing that is disheartening to all fans.

I want Dino to win because I do like his personality and his connection with the media. They love to interview him and is a good light to have on the program. But without the wins it's like they say..."Lipstick on a pig".

Maybe. But there’s likely much more harm in deciding that too soon, then waiting to be triply sure.
Since I have no impact on the decision making of SU football I will be forced to wait as long as the school feels necessary. If it all works out then fantastic, if not SU will still be a bottom feeder.

When Dino first got here, many were worried he would jump to another job as as soon possible. Now that the school stuck with him depite 5 losing seasons, wonder if SU becomes "consistently good" from here on out that Dino sticks around instead of seeking greener pastures.

Right on (a phrase that we used every other sentence during my SU days along with “the cheese jaws from The Dingleman are especially greasy tonight!”)

I have said a version of this for awhile. It is the key to Dino’s “consistently good instead of occasionally great” mantra.

You don’t get to “consistently good” without having built a good program. A single team can get you an occasionally great year but it won’t keep your head above water over the long haul. In his previous head coaching jobs at lower levels, Dino didn’t stick around long enough to build a program so to a degree he is learning on the job with that.

I fell off the Dino wagon after Rutgers but I have also been vocal in saying that mid-year was not a time to give him the boot. We needed to let the entire season play out to make a full assessment on this year’s performance. It is valid to say “I have lost faith in you so is time for you to prove yourself and try to re-earn that faith”. I know that I am not the only one to have taken that position. Belief without evidence is a great phrase, but at some point the evidence becomes primary. We are 75% there on this season‘s eventual story but with some real roadblocks left to plow through. There is now hope that we can at least handle one or more of them.

The key is that we have some excellent young talent and that is the foundation of a program. Dino deserves a ton of credit for identifying and developing them. There was some serendipity involved in Howard and Adams being gone and allowing Tucker to emerge but life is full of serendipity.

Now it is time to continue the job of building the program and achieving his goal of consistently good. That is yet to be written but at least we can close our eyes and see a potential image that can be based upon evidence and not merely faith.
i am very happy with the recent chain of events. however i am not on the dino bandwagon. i commend him on FINALLY not being so adamant and stubborn. he still needs to grow as a coach . all the issues have been mentioned .

this is dino's 6th season. ain't no busts in the college football HOF saying "he played them all close".
Hall of Fame is now the standard?

Since I have no impact on the decision making of SU football I will be forced to wait as long as the school feels necessary. If it all works out then fantastic, if not SU will still be a bottom feeder.
Been a fan since 1955, seen many ups a and downs, the ups usually come when we have a few young electric players.
This team seems like one of those upswings, a lot of young exciting players on this team.

And the 15 practices give Shrader, and the receivers time to get used to each other. TD got most of the reps, because he was the 1st team. Harris being the best receiver, and TD's favorite target.
That actually set this team back until they both were out of the lineup. Also gives Gilbert an opportunity to try to use the TE for something besides blocking.
Not sure if his “passing” can be fixed in 15 practices.
By this time he has thrown hundreds of thousands of passes. Hard to undo that at his age

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jc824

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom