Dino's Signing Day Presser | Page 5 | Syracusefan.com

Dino's Signing Day Presser

Reportedly ranked 12th in ACC and 53rd nationally by 24/7. Only beat Duke and Wake in ACC. Many of our eastern peers were rated higher.

When is the recruiting uptick supposed to happen? This is Year 6. I think it is a reasonable question. That some here think unreasonable. But in year 6 I think it deserves to be asked and answered.

Honestly, I just don't see recruiting progress under this staff and don't expect to at this point. It is what it is.

Can't believe I was 45 when we hired Babers. Seems like only yesterday.

I see you are practicing what Dino preaches:
Belief without evidence.:)
evidence is 1-10 and 12/14 class, they aren't wasting a tight hour on him, they want winners or guys with good classes, not losers and guys with low rated classes

Hey, I don't disagree with any of this. I just think you were a little more fun during the Shafer years that's all.

At the end of the day, I just want the program to look somewhat competent most seasons and most games. I'm okay with losing, I'm okay with okay classes that need a couple years to be coached up, I'm okay with the o-line getting beat by really good defensive play if they look competent, I don't expect 4 and 5 star players, I do expect to see some level of improvement and I realize an upward trajectory year after year isn't realistic.

I could write more but what's the point. I don't think there's anything wrong with wondering if Babers can get it done. I have no idea if he can or not at this point. I knew Shafer couldn't almost from the start.

Well said. All just hoping for the best! And hey if we need to look elsewhere then I’ll gear up for it again! It’s not easy but I will saddle up

evidence is 1-10 and 12/14 class, they aren't wasting a tight hour on him, they want winners or guys with good classes, not losers and guys with low rated classes
Yeah, that’s just speculation. No need to be so grumpy on signing day.
Dino is usually good for a few entertaining comments and that’s what they want. Why he wasn’t on, who knows.

So where is this unicorn?

This argument gets old.

I dont think it is a unicorn. There are several consistently good programs that have undergone multiple coaching changes and remained strong.
Cincinnati has been through. Mark Dantonio, Brian Kelly, Butch Jones, Luke Fickell. Boise State has done similar.

Somehow they keep finding coaches that can win, surely their success can be replicated.

This argument gets old.

I dont think it is a unicorn. There are several consistently good programs that have undergone multiple coaching changes and remained strong.
Cincinnati has been through. Mark Dantonio, Brian Kelly, Butch Jones, Luke Fickell. Boise State has done similar.

Somehow they keep finding coaches that can win, surely their success can be replicated.

Both programs you list above have the most overall talent in their conference and have been the powers.

It is much harder to do in a P5 conference when the teams you are chasing have NFL talent all over the field and the depth chart vs. taking over a G5 program that is the class of their conference.

Babers took over a 10-4 BG team and led them to 8-4 and 10-4 records before going to Syracuse.

Not sure which successful formula you want to replicate since Dino was exactly a replication of what you mentioned.

This argument gets old.

You forgot Senator Tubs

Read the post I was responding to and get back to me

Folks we are also evaluating an incomplete class right now. Let's see what happens with our other slots. We have up to 5 more I believe. Plenty more room at the inn.
Plus we now have Bleich for 3 years. He would be very near the top of the class.

You forgot Senator Tubs

Read the post I was responding to and get back to me
I was focusing on the good hires. 80% success rate in coaching hires is pretty damn good. I'd suggest hiring the guy doing that hiring.

I agree with the post you replied to. Half of this board is saying its damn near impossible to recruit and win in Syracuse. I'm not buying that. Maybe we havent hired good coaches lately, maybe that's why we dont recruit well and win.

If one school can do it, I'd bet two can.

Both programs you list above have the most overall talent in their conference and have been the powers.

It is much harder to do in a P5 conference when the teams you are chasing have NFL talent all over the field and the depth chart vs. taking over a G5 program that is the class of their conference.

Babers took over a 10-4 BG team and led them to 8-4 and 10-4 records before going to Syracuse.

Not sure which successful formula you want to replicate since Dino was exactly a replication of what you mentioned.
Do you think we'd beat Cincy or Boise 5 out of 10? I don't at this point. We should be able to at the very least recruit and compete with them shouldn't we?

I was focusing on the good hires. 80% success rate in coaching hires is pretty damn good. I'd suggest hiring the guy doing that hiring.

I agree with the post you replied to. Half of this board is saying its damn near impossible to recruit and win in Syracuse. I'm not buying that. Maybe we havent hired good coaches lately, maybe that's why we dont recruit well and win.

If one school can do it, I'd bet two can.

no, he laid out a particular profile, since that’s what he’s looking for, just wondering who fits it

no, he laid out a particular profile, since that’s what he’s looking for, just wondering who fits it
I see what ur saying, I glanced at the post.

The profile I want is someone who has a system and processes in place that recruits well, develops well, hires the right people, and makes good in game decisions. It's not that complex, not many can do it in any field, but the person that can implement that is not a unicorn. I hope Dino can be that guy.

I grow weary of seeing comments over and over again that we can't do this and we can't do that because of this and because of that. We can and should be a heck of a lot better than we have been.

Do you think we'd beat Cincy or Boise 5 out of 10? I don't at this point. We should be able to at the very least recruit and compete with them shouldn't we?

This year, where injuries ravaged everything and Cincy has one of their best teams? No.

Any other year, where Cincy and Boise State are their typical 20-25 ranked team, yes I think Syracuse would win 5 of 10.

Either way, I was merely commenting that the way you want to find a coach is exactly what we did for acquiring Babers.

This year, where injuries ravaged everything and Cincy has one of their best teams? No.

Any other year, where Cincy and Boise State are their typical 20-25 ranked team, yes I think Syracuse would win 5 of 10.

Either way, I was merely commenting that the way you want to find a coach is exactly what we did for acquiring Babers.

Agreed. It was a solid hire at the time. It's been a rough road with a few highlights but he can right the ship here I believe. He knows what needs to be done, can he get it done is the question. The problem with hiring a new coach, they don't know what they are getting into at Syracuse regardless is what is said publicly. It's just a lot tougher than they anticipate and lets face it they are taking the job as it's a promotion in money and stature usually.

And guys, I am not in favor of keeping Babers forever I just think the next year or two will give you the entire story.

This argument gets old.

Yeah. I think the administrations at those programs have some sort of secret sauce for finding not only good coaches, but very good coaches year over year. It is absolutely uncanny what Cincinnati was able to do. A complete head scratcher. I think Cuse needs to figure out what they figured out first

I see what ur saying, I glanced at the post.

The profile I want is someone who has a system and processes in place that recruits well, develops well, hires the right people, and makes good in game decisions. It's not that complex, not many can do it in any field, but the person that can implement that is not a unicorn. I hope Dino can be that guy.

I grow weary of seeing comments over and over again that we can't do this and we can't do that because of this and because of that. We can and should be a heck of a lot better than we have been.
Sure, it's possible to build a winner here. And yes, we need better development. But the programs you mention have inherent advantages that Syracuse does not have.

Boise is successful because there's a lot of meat on the bone in California and Texas (I eyeballed their roster and estimate about 50% of the roster is from CA and 20% is from TX). They obviously have pipelines built, but there's fresh markets in CA for talent that Florida does not have.

Cincinnati is overwhelmingly Ohio players - and while Ohio no longer has the elite players it used to, forcing Michigan and Ohio State to look elsewhere - there's plenty there for a G5 state school to swoop in and construct a good team.

Every school is different. Yes, Syracuse can win and recruit better, but you can't compare what other schools are doing and say "why can't Syracuse do that" when it's likely a different situation.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
vegasnick

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom