DO article on Recruiting | Page 4 | Syracusefan.com

DO article on Recruiting

The DO article is a lot of trash. Amateur hour by a novice college student. He had a predetermined narrative, found a few good quotes and built a story around it.

Syracuse = Middle of nowhere.

Yes, because Lawrence, Kan.; Spokane, Wash.; Morgantown, W.Va.; Blacksburg, Va.; Lubbock, Texas; Ames, Iowa; West Lafayette, Ind.; Tuscaloosa, Ala.; Bloomington, Ind.; Eugene, Ore.; Pullman, Wash.; Starkville, Miss.; Clemson, S.C.; Waco, Texas; Auburn, Ala.; Lexington, Ky.; Corvallis, Ore.; Oxford, Miss.; Happy Valley, Pa.; and Tallahassee, Fla. are each hubs of modern civilization.

Sh|t, at least we have a Triple-A team, right?
Not to mention South Bend, a true hole in the middle of nowhere Indiana.

This is completely untrue. I obviously don’t know the conversations between Isaiah and JB, but I do know that Isaiah made up his mind days before his announcement, and SU was never at the top of his list.
So if the kid told JB he was coming despite having decided days before it could still be true. The kids decision and what he told JB may not be correlated. Some kids are afraid to disappoint.

So if the kid told JB he was coming despite having decided days before it could still be true. The kids decision and what he told JB may not be correlated. Some kids are afraid to disappoint.
You very well may be correct. JB said on Axe’s show today that Isaiah told him this info this past summer, so he very well may have just been saying that to make an uncomfortable convo less uncomfortable.

Few thoughts

Jim hears/reads EVERYTHING.

I think he made some excellent points about center play in college basketball (Houston/Baylor) and overall center play. I do think our issues are mostly not having any beef but that wasn't addressed. His take was about having centers that produce offense and developing.

Jimmy has to be coming to cuse. He mentions waiting on others (Griffin/Braswell) and that Quincy's decision doesn't matter.

We will see Jimmy at the 5 sometimes from the comments made about playing 3 forwards.

Bourama is starting.

Just as many said;

“Many in and around Syracuse basketball’s program told The D.O. that recruiting has taken a dip in the last five years partially because of Hopkins’ departure. Sanctions on the program, early departures from players turning pro and the potential of a new coach all played a role as well.”
Ok - "partially" and "all played a role" is not carte blanche to use this as an excuse anymore.

I stand corrected.

He was offered. I really wonder how much of a priority he was.

We had several other guards in the same class - JGIII and Goodine.
With Carey & HoWash already on campus.

This is like the "but why didn't we offer Jimmer??" thing -
we already had Jonny AND Scoop.

We had several other guards in the same class - JGIII and Goodine.
With Carey & HoWash already on campus.

This is like the "but why didn't we offer Jimmer??" thing -
we already had Jonny AND Scoop.
So he wasn't good enough then, with two players who have shown to be 1) at best, average through 2 years and 2) not good enough to play at the ACC level or Big East level, and yet something has changed this time around. He's now a "very, very good player"?

Sorry. Boeheim's full of it. The recruit was convenient. Hope I'm wrong and he kills it. But it was easy and he wanted to take pressure of his third son.

So he wasn't good enough then, with two players who have shown to be 1) at best, average through 2 years and 2) not good enough to play at the ACC level or Big East level, and yet something has changed this time around. He's now a "very, very good player"?

Sorry. Boeheim's full of it. The recruit was convenient. Hope I'm wrong and he kills it. But it was easy and he wanted to take pressure of his third son.

I don't know if it was a function of "good enough", or not - but we had the other guys signed already.

Just like with Jonny & Scoop.

You can't take them all.

I don't know if it was a function of "good enough", or not - but we had the other guys signed already.

Just like with Jonny & Scoop.

You can't take them all.

AND recruiting is a two way street. Just because you offer somebody doesn't mean that they'll come to your school, even when they are prospects from the program's "back yard." We all know that modern recruiting is about players looking for the best path to PT.

I'm sure that Torrence didn't envision Carey [a highly rated recruit] flopping, Goodine not panning out, etc. What he was probably looking at was an extremely crowded backcourt depth chart -- which prompted him to opt for another program.

BTW, not suggesting that Symir is going to step right in and be a good performer -- who knows. He was behind a stud at Marquette, but his statistics [not the entire measure of a player's worth] aren't confidence inspiring. But I wouldn't dismiss him as a poor "get" based only on that -- he's an experienced player coming from a good conference -- let's see how he performs in practice before writing him off.

It has nothing to do with talent. There wasn’t any room for him.

And you’re conveniently using hindsight to make your argument.

Geez the pitchforks are out. JB should go radio silent like another prominent SU septuagenarian

"Going to play in the middle of nowhere New York is not what it was 25 years ago."

I take offense to that statement:)

What has changed?

Were we in the middle of somewhere 25 years ago? Syracuse area is as good now as it has ever been!
What a dumb comment/quote. You could say that about most schools. Has anyone ever been to Storrs f(&;$:!ing Connecticut? Now that place is in the middle of nowhere. How about Lubbock Texas in the godforsaken wasteland of West Texas?

Last edited:

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
AlCuse

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom