Do you think Boeheim has a set retirement date that he will stick to? | Page 23 | Syracusefan.com

Do you think Boeheim has a set retirement date that he will stick to?

Do you think Boeheim has a set retirement date that he will stick to?

• Yes

Votes: 20 8.8%
  • No

Votes: 208 91.2%

• Total voters
The team pulls out a nice win a yesterday, plays well down the stretch and Jesse and Judah have great games. And instead all the chatter today is about our out-of-touch head coach. Julie and the kids need to sit him down and tell him it’s time.
That’s what I mean. None of this makes sense for a fully functioning adult brain. He seems very off.

1. Most of the fanbase won't be happy until Boeheim is gone.

2. Most of the fanbase won't be happy with the new coach.

Some people want Red, some want GMac, some want Hop, some want JHart. Some of you are holding out for the Pitino fantasy. Some want Oats or Miller or a Hurley or some other outsider.

It's obvious that most of you won't be getting "your guy".

When the new guy doesn't have us back in the Sweet Sixteen by Year #2, most of you will bail on him too.

And that will be the end of Syracuse basketball as we know it. Without fan support, the program will die become BC.

And I hate BC.
It really doesn't have to go down that way.

Conduct a search to find the best possible hire and open up the wallet to the extent required. After that let the guy do his thing. If he's any good he'll build a consistent winner. Then the fan support will be there. The way this program has performed over the last 4-5 years is the way you lose fan support.

And hopefully the new coach knows how to conduct himself in a post-game interview without attacking student media types or throwing his players under the bus.

Just to clarify, the only point of your post I was honed in on was the 100% zone thing. And that's where it's important to note that Hopkins himself indicated that he would play other types of defense. And then when push came to shove, he resorted to what he knows.

I don't dispute that Red has had some outside experiences; maybe he would do things differently. But that's exactly what everyone claimed Hop would do, and he didn't. So I just don't take that assumption on face value. Has nothing to do with your post.

And I know that we are on the same page about what needs to happen to right the ship.
I don’t know if Hop intended on playing man or at least a good amount of it, but fell back on what he knew? Hard to know. I don’t watch them close enough - are they really all zone?

If Jimmy was coming in as a possible 17 mpg guy (if he beats Benny out…which he would’ve), and Braswell stayed….and if Kadary had already been the starting Pg like he should’ve been and stayed….

Kadary
Buddy
Braswell
Cole
Jesse

Joe
Jimmy
Frank

We’re almost certainly dancing with that lineup, IMO, because you’ve actually got a starting lineup with 3 good defenders in it(and the other 2 guys are at least tall for their position) plus a real PG, plus 3 shooters and a C who can score…with two scorers off the bench. We would’ve actually had some balance. That team is probably similar to the 2021 sweet 16 team.

I think everybody would be a heck of a lot more patient with this years “young” team if we didn’t watch that avoidable abomination last year.
I think if you eliminate Jimmy...you're starting three is Quincy, Q and Braswell certainly left because they knew the coaches son was coming in next year...and they knew how that was going to play out.

And for those of you who will say "they both left before Jimmy announced he's coming"...spare me. You don't think that was talked about a dinner at the Boeheim house a few times?

I think if you eliminate Jimmy...you're starting three is Quincy, Q and Braswell certainly left because they knew the coaches son was coming in next year...and they knew how that was going to play out.

And for those of you who will say "they both left before Jimmy announced he's coming"...spare me. You don't think that was talked about a dinner at the Boeheim house a few times?
Man…..I mean, I suspected that but I was trying to not get greedy with my own narrative.

Quincy AND Cole? With Kadary, Buddy, and Jesse? That’s a legit solid team that probably actually gets a 4-5 seed and has a good record?

Man…..I mean, I suspected that but I was trying to not get greedy with my own narrative.

Quincy AND Cole? With Kadary, Buddy, and Jesse? That’s a legit solid team that probably actually gets a 4-5 seed and has a good record?

In my opinion this is highly overestimating kadary’s impact. If Quincy played the way we needed him to play then he’s a net positive. If he played the way he wanted to and the way he has played at Oregon then he would have been no better than Jimmy. I have no doubt Quincy is a better player than Jimmy but this version of Quincy does not help anyone and not even himself.

Would we have been better with Kadary on the team, of course. Would we have gone from a 16-17 team to a 4 seed, no way.

Cuse!

Maybe he is trying to get fired to collect unemployment? :)

Maybe he is trying to get fired to collect unemployment? :)
Pull a George Costanza and drag…..his own national title trophy through the Melo Center parking lot on the back of his car while shouting insults on a megaphone at the Athletic Department?

th

The question that we are not asking, and it is always the most important question, is why? Why say these things now. My theory, someone spoke to jb about stepping down. This was his answer. Letting everyone know, it's going to be ugly. Just my theory.
I think maybe it was Thamel who posed the question. But you're right it could have been someone else and JB reached out to Thamel to get his "perspective" public. Either way, it went over like a fart in church.

Bbbbbbbut according to the AD JB has built up a ton of equity as the head coach at SU. Does not give him the right to decimate and set the program back, in particular the nepo thing that cost us SU‘s basketball reputation, thus recruiting and forgivable departures.

SU needs to set the retirement date if they want to make the next coaching hire. Otherwise, JB will announce in August or September that he plans to retire. This forces the administration to hire from within.

In my opinion this is highly overestimating kadary’s impact. If Quincy played the way we needed him to play then he’s a net positive. If he played the way he wanted to and the way he has played at Oregon then he would have been no better than Jimmy. I have no doubt Quincy is a better player than Jimmy but this version of Quincy does not help anyone and not even himself.

Would we have been better with Kadary on the team, of course. Would we have gone from a 16-17 team to a 4 seed, no way.

Cuse!
See the thing is…Quincy and Kadary actually played here and we went to a sweet 16.

If they came back(and Bras), we would’ve basically had everyone back from that team except Marek - but with a real center in Jesse stepping in.

Spare me.

Cuse!

Quincy wanting to be a 2 guard was spun as damage control. People were correctly pissed especially about Kadary when that Sweet 16 run was followed by the departures.

Jimmy was probably around the program from November on and Q, Woody, Bras all knew they were gone after that year. Its not like he was playing for Cornell.

Even Marek left for a horrible Euro league despite having another year because he knew coaches kid plays no matter what.

He hasn't done well at Oregon but he would have fit lasst years team very well being a better rebounder than Cole and Jesse. We probably get him back this year too with some NIL because he wasn't close to being one of the 60 guys drafted.

You re recruit him buy asking him to rebound and giving him the green light on offense to shoot...which he had anyways.

Why on earth would these guys want to leave a Sweet 16 team unless there was a big problem (the coaches kids playing every second of most games.) Q probably picked the best option after SU unlike Kadary who literally picked the absolute worst and it still didn't work out.

Its open season on JB now. There's a Pitt site that has the Brandon Knight article up and the photo of Boeheim has him knuckle deep. its just going to end so badly. Its like watching the train wreck coming in slow motion, but you can't do anything to stop it.

Does anyone know when his contract expires?

NIL is going to get better talent to SU. Better than what he was recruiting.
Yes, but his quote I read today, he sounded disgusted. I think a new breed of coach, one who does not care about the facade of modern amateurish, will be happier than most of the old guard

I think maybe it was Thamel who posed the question. But you're right it could have been someone else and JB reached out to Thamel to get his "perspective" public. Either way, it went over like a fart in church.
Whatever the setup was, the bigger point is that JB’s wounds were entirely self inflicted. It’s not about whether it’s Thamel or some other journalist.

If he was using Thamel to get out a shot across the bow, he instead turned the gun on himself.

He also committed to Seton Hall under a different coach. Holloway was a flashy hire, but jury is still out on if he can build and sustain at the BigEast level.
Very true!

I agree with those who say he’d be playing 30-35 mpg by now and should’ve stayed.

But he’s averaging 10,6, and 4 there in 26 mpg. Maybe not what some of us dreamed of him doing at SU by his junior year but he’s still a good college b-ball player on a disappointing team….that is doing better than we are. Smh.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
vegasnick

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom