Does anybody still think Edwards... | Page 12 | Syracusefan.com

Does anybody still think Edwards...

I wish someone would follow up and ask what "not ready" means. Not ready to carry the team? Not ready to play 35+ minutes at center every night? Not ready to contribute? I think it's pretty clear that it's not the latter since Jesse came in fairly early in each half last night.
Outside of Sims, Clemson is not all that big and they are an average at best rebounding team. If Marek is playing well and giving Sims trouble with his quickness and if Quincy and Griff are at the top of their games I wouldn't be too concerned if Jesse is limited to 12-15 minutes tomorrow. However, if Simms is eating our lunch inside and dominating the glass I would hope to see more of Marek at the 4 and Jesse for 20-24 minutes.
I don't expect Honor to be left wide open like he was last time. And I don;t expect Clemson as a team to be as efficient offensively.
I don't think that "limited to 12-15 minutes" is the floor for what is possible here. Would any of us be all that surprised if he were to play 3 or 4 minutes? I certainly wouldn't be. There doesn't seem to be a whole lot of rhyme or reason beyond he is JB and he knows more about basketball than anyone that can ask him a question.

I don't think that "limited to 12-15 minutes" is the floor for what is possible here. Would any of us be all that surprised if he were to play 3 or 4 minutes? I certainly wouldn't be. There doesn't seem to be a whole lot of rhyme or reason beyond he is JB and he knows more about basketball than anyone that can ask him a question.
I wouldn't be surprised if he plays 0 minutes.

Ok, for some reason I remember him running all over the place and thought I remembered him on the wing.
This is low key one of the funniest posts anyone has ever made on this board.

A month ago I posted "I think it's in the best interest of both SU and Jesse for him to be "nudged out" next year." Based on how he's performed over the past couple games I think that was too strong of a statement by me. He should be part of the regular rotation from here on out.

That being said, I'm not diving into Jessepalozza 2K21 quite yet (sorry). He seems like a wonderful kid and he plays hard, but I still have concerns about his lack of athleticism. He doesn't have the quickness and strength that you would generally want in an ACC big man. But, it's not 2011, it's 2021, and the talent bar at SU is lower than it used to be.

There have been many times when players showed flashes of being ready but it was an aberration, like Howard Washington. I will be rooting very hard for that not to be the case with Jesse. Jesse's success is SU's success. We desperately need a functional big man the next couple years and I hope it's him.

Armando Bacot sure thought Jesse was ready
Means a lot coming from a guy who got 18 rebounds last night. Like Dolezaj, but he doesn't even try to block out most of the time.

Also, if we're in the NIT this year and thus winning and losing doesn't really matter that much, I would give Jesse a ton of minutes. Let him play through literally any and all mistakes he makes.

A month ago I posted "I think it's in the best interest of both SU and Jesse for him to be "nudged out" next year." Based on how he's performed over the past couple games I think that was too strong of a statement by me. He should be part of the regular rotation from here on out.

That being said, I'm not diving into Jessepalozza 2K21 quite yet (sorry). He seems like a wonderful kid and he plays hard, but I still have concerns about his lack of athleticism. He doesn't have the quickness and strength that you would generally want in an ACC big man. But, it's not 2011, it's 2021, and the talent bar at SU is lower than it used to be.

There have been many times when players showed flashes of being ready but it was an aberration, like Howard Washington. I will be rooting very hard for that not to be the case with Jesse. Jesse's success is SU's success. We desperately need a functional big man the next couple years and I hope it's him.

I don't care if he becomes an all ACC center or just another role player.

We need his length.

In some games his height and wing span will be a difference maker in rebounding and altering shots. We've lacked that in many games and it costs us.

I don't really see a whole lot of Jessepalooza.

I'm seeing more open wondering why this guy couldn't have gotten minutes to see if he could have similar games to what he's done the last two and against Miami.

I dont believe the follow up. I think JB realizes that Gutierrez asked a legit question that would get second guessed after only Gutierrez asked him about after the game.

So by preemptively tying Edwards to playing to “practicing well” he can continue spinning that web.
Gutierrez is the only local writer who will publicly question JB. Maybe a little Axe until JB gives it to him.

The thing is I would take a slightly more athletic Craig Forth in a heartbeat for the sheer benefit he provides as a 7 footer. It at least provides a reasonable obstacle in the post and someone who can set a legit screen.

If Jesse and Frank could be a Forth/McNeil 2.0 I would be thrilled to have that option in the post.

Honestly, I wouldn't care if he was Kareem Olajuwon-2.0 at this point.
Can he give us some minutes, spare Marek getting abused in the paint, and stand up straight with his arms raised to alter shots? Can he just BE 7-ft tall? That should be enough to get him a few minutes each game, especially considering the alternative.

I can certainly agree that he needs to add good size and strength. I completely disagree with the mobility part. This kid runs the third extremely well, and has solid lateral mobility. No issues there, in fact it's a strength of his.

I can certainly agree that he needs to add good size and strength. I completely disagree with the mobility part. This kid runs the third extremely well, and has solid lateral mobility. No issues there, in fact it's a strength of his.

Serious question - could it be that Jesse had a fire lit to prove he could play after JB made his 'I don't care what he does on offense we need him to play defense' comment?

Wow.

Some powerful commentary from that article.

Jesse Edwards, Syracuse University's sophomore center, has been relegated to the end of Coach Jim Boeheim’s bench for the majority of the season. Many, including myself, have been screaming from the mountaintops: "FREE JESSE!!!!"

On many occasions over the past two years, I’ve personally messaged Jesse to offer some encouragement, telling him almost exactly what Syracuse legends Rosevelt Bouie, Coach Louis Orr, and the late Conrad McRae told me my freshman year. I wasn’t playing and Coach Boeheim was similarly telling everyone I wasn’t ready. I told Jesse that his time was going to come to make Coach Boeheim eat his words...

:(
That's from a former player?

Wow.

Jesse Edwards, Syracuse University's sophomore center, has been relegated to the end of Coach Jim Boeheim’s bench for the majority of the season. Many, including myself, have been screaming from the mountaintops: "FREE JESSE!!!!"

On many occasions over the past two years, I’ve personally messaged Jesse to offer some encouragement, telling him almost exactly what Syracuse legends Rosevelt Bouie, Coach Louis Orr, and the late Conrad McRae told me my freshman year. I wasn’t playing and Coach Boeheim was similarly telling everyone I wasn’t ready. I told Jesse that his time was going to come to make Coach Boeheim eat his words...

I don’t take that as a dig at coach, more as use negative to motivate you type deal. That said Etan is usually pretty critical about coach, especially this season.

Wow.

Not really the ideal thing to hear, but I think it's awesome Etan has a relationship with current players though.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
CoachDiddi

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom