Does anybody still think Edwards... | Page 11 | Syracusefan.com

Does anybody still think Edwards...

I dont know maybe he was sick with food poisoning. I dont know the reason why he plays one over the other. I think Edwards is better too. But he says every week practice decides who will play in games..

I do think JB is gonna go with what he thinks will win the game as much as many here think thats not his number one goal
He says what allows whatever he thinks to go unquestioned.
I don’t believe his rationale for certain decisions. As I don’t believe he likes to say he is wrong when he stubbornly thinks something and it could possibly not be correct.
He has broken my ability to believe some stuff.

How can you go from Edwards isn’t ready to play and contribute to he has been practicing a lot better. When he had no intent to bring in Edwards in against Ga. Tech his hand was forced with foul trouble.

JB says stuff and like a politician he knows how to spin a tale to get the message he wants out.

How come we keep using the conditioning excuse when one of the players who got it never plays less then 30 every game?

Just pointing out that the disease does not affect everyone the same way... some people have very few symptoms while some others get knocked out for weeks or even months. It is entirely possible that it CAN be used as an excuse for a kid who had a bad infection and CAN'T be used as an excuse for a kid who had a very minor infection.

We don't know the severity of each kid's infection so we have nothing to base our conditioning expectations on. I have seen CT scans of people who were asymptomatic whose lungs look like they smoked a pack of cigarettes every day for 30 years, and others who had very minor damage that they recovered from quickly. Add in the fact that in some instances, it can cause inflammation of heart tissue, which basically requires full shutdown of athletic activities until the situation is resolved.

It's the main thing that makes this disease so freaking frustrating to deal with - it's almost like a different disease for different people.

Gotta love Jessies energy and passion when he plays!
He needs significant playing time the rest of the season and all of the next!
78F364EE-F1EC-47BB-AC97-34024DA51490.jpeg

Just pointing out that the disease does not affect everyone the same way... some people have very few symptoms while some others get knocked out for weeks or even months. It is entirely possible that it CAN be used as an excuse for a kid who had a bad infection and CAN'T be used as an excuse for a kid who had a very minor infection.

We don't know the severity of each kid's infection so we have nothing to base our conditioning expectations on. I have seen CT scans of people who were asymptomatic whose lungs look like they smoked a pack of cigarettes every day for 30 years, and others who had very minor damage that they recovered from quickly. Add in the fact that in some instances, it can cause inflammation of heart tissue, which basically requires full shutdown of athletic activities until the situation is resolved.

It's the main thing that makes this disease so freaking frustrating to deal with - it's almost like a different disease for different people.

I will just tack on the mental aspect as well. The brain fog is real and it's a challenge. I speak to that personally 3 weeks out since testing positive.

I will just tack on the mental aspect as well. The brain fog is real and it's a challenge. I speak to that personally 3 weeks out since testing positive.
Yes, this is a good point as well.

He played 21 out of 34 games, and very few of those minutes were high leverage (I remember Clemson was and that ended badly). It's not a representative sample of the games the team plays.

Against this same team in January in seven minutes he had one foul, one block, one turnover and no boards. That looks pretty bad over 40 minutes also.

He's a young guy, is going to get better through just playing more and getting stronger. Nothing really wrong with that.
You do realize you just asked to throw 145 minutes over 21 games out the window because of small sample size so you could focus on 7 minutes from 1 game.

right?

I usually enjoy your posts, but this current position is quite confusing to me

You do realize you just asked to throw 145 minutes over 21 games out the window because of small sample size so you could focus on 7 minutes from 1 game.

right?

I usually enjoy your posts, but this current position is quite confusing to me

Not my best writing. Just don't think the per 40 stat is applicable for a guy who barely plays.

I still feel our D can get better.
We could try to find some gimmick half-court press when Allen is in Maybe shadowing the 1 or the 2 tight (depending on team). He's played man and anticipates passes. Imagine that with K. Good luck doing that now though with one-day practice.
Having a real 5 really improves the zone.

Facts!!

Honestly don’t want to waste time debating this any further. I posted early on that the development of a backup center was critical to the success of this team. We failed to do so and that’s on the staff either due to recruiting misses or on court coaching. And I don’t think the few minutes the average fan sees during games is the be all, end all. Players earn opportunities in practice and expand on opportunities during in game performance. Right, wrong or indifferent the staff felt Anselem was the best option as a back up center. When he went down they felt Ajak earned the next slot. And no. 6’10”, 215 is not too small. Ultimately they felt that Marek, despite his shortcomings was the best option at center and yes, I agree he needed a 3-4 minute break each half to enhance his performance more than anything else
Maybe I drink the kool aid too much, but I choose to give the same staff some credit for working with Edwards and developing him to the point we saw last night. And I choose to celebrate a big win over a blue blood rival last night rather than be overly critical of decisions that brought us to this point.
For me the issue is what happens moving forward. Does Jesse get more PT or is he still "not ready". When he played very well vs Miami, the whole world thought: "Ok, that's the kid we saw glimpses of last year. Maybe now we can phase him in, and limit the whole "Marek at the 5' failed experiment". What happened next was we didn't see him for any meaningful stretch for another 5-6 games. Why?
The fear here is that JB will revert to form and Jesse will ride the bench or see stilted minutes, while Marek continues getting abused in the paint. Rinse and repeat.

It's especially illogical when the coach continues to harp on guys not being ready [when he doesn't play them], and when we get annihilated inside on a game in, game out basis by opposing bigs -- when teams play dump and chase and pound it inside indiscriminately at the start of games to take it right to our undersized starter.

I don't know what Ajak is capable of, frankly. But I think both of these guys [Ajak and Jesse] have been mismanaged from the jump this year. I say that with full recognition that we aren't in a JB coached team going to play 3 centers, but I think that both of these guys are capable of contributing. And we wasted them all year.
I wonder if JB saw that it worked with Lydon and is just to stubborn to realize MD is not Lydon?

Against this same team in January in seven minutes he had one foul, one block, one turnover and no boards. That looks pretty bad over 40 minutes also.
OK, waited quite awhile while Buddy was sub-par and playing mega-minutes, b/c he could "go off".
Buddy's come around (won't get into related personnel change).

Now have solid evidence of the team's improvement when playing a REAL center.
Based on what Jesse proved he is capable of, does he get now regular minutes to develop, regardless of whether he's struggling/on learning curve?

If not, I'd see it as a double-standard. Jesse should play b/c HE could "go off" with a big contribution.
And regardless, PT = development for a REAL center-
AND provides a nice going-away present for Marek to end his career -finally playing his position!!

Why did JBA go in the Duke game and not Jesse when we needed help in the middle?
That game JBA did nothing and got 7 minutes which was 2 minutes more than Jesse played ENTIRELY since January before he got in last Saturday.
I don't believe JBA came in and played the 5. He was on the wing defensively.

Why did JBA go in the Duke game and not Jesse when we needed help in the middle?
That game JBA did nothing and got 7 minutes which was 2 minutes more than Jesse played ENTIRELY since January before he got in last Saturday.
Answer:. Because JB was a growing s*** agaibst the wall to see what would stick?

It probably had very little to do with how JBA or Jesse we're peacticig.

Answer:. Because JB was a growing s*** agaibst the wall to see what would stick?

It probably had very little to do with how JBA or Jesse we're peacticig.
Hence the reason I said I don’t believe what he says publicly on certain stuff anymore.

He doesn’t want to be second guessed so he throws comments out that defend what he did.

Ok, for some reason I remember him running all over the place and thought I remembered him on the wing. He was horribly out of position defensively.
JBA covered the corner the 3 really fast.
The kid is a project and god bless him seems like a good kid, teammate hope he is getting an education but isn’t close to helping.

With the needs we have really not a project I would prefer to wait on.

Ok, for some reason I remember him running all over the place and thought I remembered him on the wing. He was horribly out of position defensively.
That’s his jam. He and Griffin actually teach a course on how to get extra steps for your Fitbit while playing zone defense. Huge on the tavern league scene.

For me the issue is what happens moving forward. Does Jesse get more PT or is he still "not ready". When he played very well vs Miami, the whole world thought: "Ok, that's the kid we saw glimpses of last year. Maybe now we can phase him in, and limit the whole "Marek at the 5' failed experiment". What happened next was we didn't see him for any meaningful stretch for another 5-6 games. Why?
The fear here is that JB will revert to form and Jesse will ride the bench or see stilted minutes, while Marek continues getting abused in the paint. Rinse and repeat.
I wish someone would follow up and ask what "not ready" means. Not ready to carry the team? Not ready to play 35+ minutes at center every night? Not ready to contribute? I think it's pretty clear that it's not the latter since Jesse came in fairly early in each half last night.
Outside of Sims, Clemson is not all that big and they are an average at best rebounding team. If Marek is playing well and giving Sims trouble with his quickness and if Quincy and Griff are at the top of their games I wouldn't be too concerned if Jesse is limited to 12-15 minutes tomorrow. However, if Simms is eating our lunch inside and dominating the glass I would hope to see more of Marek at the 4 and Jesse for 20-24 minutes.
I don't expect Honor to be left wide open like he was last time. And I don;t expect Clemson as a team to be as efficient offensively.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Cuseman17

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom