Does JW have the gravitas and backing | Page 9 | Syracusefan.com

Does JW have the gravitas and backing

Great example. And again I think this is exactly my point and the type of candidate we will go after (and get). Not having a headliner is just a reality and not necessarily a bad thing.
Yup.

Still likely a better option than in house.

My only concern is does Buzz put us on a treadmill? Will he bring in enough talent to make us elite? If I am not mistaken he hasn't really been known to bring in top-end talent more than his teams play hard with less talent.

As opposed to the current staff??...

I'd hafta imagine he'd get at least as good talent as we've been getting the past 5-6 years, which is better than he's ever gotten anyplace else he's coached.

And he's proven to be very good at coaching up and developing the guys he does get.
Marquette and VaTech were always a thorn in our side when he was there.

My only concern is does Buzz put us on a treadmill? Will he bring in enough talent to make us elite? If I am not mistaken he hasn't really been known to bring in top-end talent more than his teams play hard with less talent.
His 2021 class at Texas A&M was 26th in the nation by one service. 2022 doesn't look as good yet, but he's got a couple left to sign.

of SU to force a staff break up for BB like FB? Otherwise, I foresee a prolonged, lingering fall of a once proud program into even further mediocrity.
I get the strong sense that John is really well respected by the chancellor and the BOT.

When the time comes io replace James Arthur, they will back whatever he thinks needs to be done.

This includes an option to boost salaries to whatever the current market is and get the best coach available.

I don't think this would be the case for any other Syracuse AD. At least in my lifetime.

But this is my opinion only.

It's total nonsense that people keep saying that SU won't buck up. What do you think they have done with all the programs lately. Just think about this, Villanova is a small catholic school and they pay Jay Wright $ 6 million. We have more basketball income than Villanova. Like JW for the right guy won't pay is an absurd take. It's getting old.

I get the strong sense that John is really well respected by the chancellor and the BOT.

When the time comes io replace James Arthur, they will back whatever he thinks needs to be done.

This includes an option to boost salaries to whatever the current market is and get the best coach available.

I don't think this would be the case for any other Syracuse AD. At least in my lifetime.

But this is my opinion only.
^^This^^ I think your "opinion" is shared by many.

Thats an accurate description and fair question

Thats an accurate description and fair question
Buzz has had quite a few top 25 classes in his time at Marquette and Va Tech. Attracting talent to those schools is much harder than Cuse. He's really cranking it up at T&AM now too. His last two classes have been ranked 20th and 26th. I don't have any question that he can get kids to come to SU.

While I agree with the sentiment, it's a dangerous game projecting coaches. If Cuse hired post-VCU Shaka right now it would've seemed like a no-doubt homerun. Few years later he's at middling Marquette. I'm more in the camp of a P5 coach on the rise, much like Muss who is looking to join ranks of Oats and Beard (who are not leaving).
Arkansas is a better basketball school than Bama. They have a large, rabid fan base and some really good history like SU. I don’t see him leaving there if he gets it cooking. Then again, maybe he’d rather be in the Northeast and recruit the Eastern seaboard than the Midwest and south.

(Todd) Golden Ticket. If there is one, this is it. Similar to how people viewed Brad Stevens as one of the sharpest emerging minds in the game, before the Butler runs. If Cuse were to "reach" this is the one I would fully back.

And think of the puns!
Maybe Mark Pope at BYU. Media guys love him.
The problem going with "the hot guy" approach is that people pay guys way too much money based on a couple good weeks outperforming expectations at the tournament.

We want someone who is at a P5, is under 45 years old, has coached at a couple places, and is on the rise in his current job. Also, obviously, needs East Coast AAU, Prep and HS ties.

Edit: What schools would you look at for a future coach for us? Historically, Xavier, Dayton, one of the Philly colleges, a Big East coach, or one of the smaller East Coast leagues (I'm not even sure what the better ones are called anymore ...).

What P5 coaches (or programs) would consider Syracuse a step up, assuming money was right?

By this, for example, I mean that somebody coaching at the top six of the ACC is not likely to come here, but let's say Josh Pattner suddenly had a good run at Georgia Tech, would he consider coming here (not saying we would want him, but ...)?

Would he see SU as a step up?

Buzz Williams, I think, would love to coach here. Who else carries the torch for us?

I like Mick Cronin, if it doesn't work out for him at UCLA, or Chris Mack, if his suspension at Louisville means they feel pressure to dump him.
Cronin would have been a great hire if JB had retired a few years ago. His teams always play great defense. He just needed to go somewhere we he could recruit athletes who were also skilled offensive players. He would have recruited like crazy at SU. I love Buzz but he’s from Texas, so not sure he leaves A&M for a while.

This is a fair comment, but he hasn't had the greatest places to sell in the past.

Buzz Williams? I kind of like his personality. I like that his teams play hard. Not a "wow", but better than a nobody.
Buzz is a Texas guy and appears to have A&M pointed in the right direction. Honestly doubt there is another job in the country he would leave for.

Buzz has had quite a few top 25 classes in his time at Marquette and Va Tech. Attracting talent to those schools is much harder than Cuse. He's really cranking it up at T&AM now too. His last two classes have been ranked 20th and 26th. I don't have any question that he can get kids to come to SU.

He is a dynamic character. Sure, it's a bit of shtick, but I'd rather have that than a guy who gives out standard robotic coach-speak all the time.

Donovan is never coming back to college. He’s been quoted as hating recruiting and dealing with alumni/boosters. And if that’s what he believes then we shouldn’t want him anyway.

Yeah, he's currently the #1 seed in the Eastern Conference of the National Basketball Association making $6M a year.

I think he's good where he is, like you noted.

He is a dynamic character. Sure, it's a bit of shtick, but I'd rather have that than a guy who gives out standard robotic coach-speak all the time.
TBH I don't care what they act like as long as they win games lol

Doing a Texas two-step by himself on the court in Morgantown a few years ago after they upset WVU was hilarious.

Took me awhile to warm up to his on-court antics (playing 6th defender in front of their bench, etc.), but it's great to have characters in a game that's overrun with Generic Under Armor Sports Males.

I agree and yet we should aspire to live in accord with our legacy. Name one college or university which hasn’t had it’s share of failure to live up to it’s stated core values.

Look Matt if you’re asking me in a hypothetical world would I want Rick to coach here, the answer would be a resounding yes. He’s arguably one of the best coaches of all time.
But there’s no chance in hell.
And that my friend is the problem. If we’re not trying to get people like oats and pitino then I hope you enjoy mediocrity.

Bama and the SEC is much more than football now. Oats is not happening
I disagree. I think Oats would come here in a heartbeat if asked. Just my opinion though.

But even prime Jim Boeheim didn't have SU in the top ten every year.

And that putz is no Jim Boeheim.
Jim Boeheim has pulled in some great players but I think of the course of his career Oats will pull in more talent. I’m not trying to argue I just think not reaching out to this guy is crazy. He would have us ranked every year that in itself should be a reason to ask. If he says no so be it, but have gauge his interest or any other top coach imo.

WERE ALREADY in that scenario here, lol

Most just dont realize it or want to admit

FSU at least had a Jimbo Fischer CIW and Bobby wanted 1 more year and they said nope, Gator Bowl is your last game

SU has been stale for years, I really felt they should have broken up that staff after the 18-19 season. They were coming off a Sweet 16 but were disappointing due to Frank Howard inconsistencies and had an 8 seed and 1st rd exit to Baylor
I know we are bud, i brought it up but i didnt wanna be too harsh i guess because so many bow at JB's feet

Once we are back with a top winning program the fans will return; we are a pro basketball fan base who has grown tired of a downturn from where we should be. Until Coach Boeheim retires or is urged out discussion of possible replacement’s is just conjecture which provides fodder for loads of back and forth social activity which is in large measure what fan sites provide. Very few, including me, have the knowledge to know how this will shake out. Enjoy it for what it is until the seat at the head of the program is vacant!

Jim Boeheim has pulled in some great players but I think of the course of his career pats will pull in more talent. I’m not trying to argue I just think not reaching out to this guy is crazy. He would have us ranked every year that in itself should be a reason to ask. If he says no so be it, but have gauge his interest or any other top coach imo.
idk i mean $$$ is a strong motivator
Right but I believe we will have to pony up the dough and JW will.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
FbBarbie

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom