Does our new full court press change | Syracusefan.com

Does our new full court press change

Forloveoforange

Scout Team
things with the way Virginia rolls the ball up the court? I'm guessing we can't press them. I do wish Virginia wouldn't get that time advantage, but there's nothing we can do, right?

things with the way Virginia rolls the ball up the court? I'm guessing we can't press them. I do wish Virginia wouldn't get that time advantage, but there's nothing we can do, right?

You don't have to press, you just put one of the guards at the top of backcourt three point arc and make them inbound the ball directly into someeone's hands. They immediately drop back into defensive position...problem solved.

You don't have to press, you just put one of the guards at the top of backcourt three point arc and make them inbound the ball directly into someeone's hands. They immediately drop back into defensive position...problem solved.
Only problem, apparently JB sees a negative in doing this, or at least not an overall positive, at least in the past.

Only problem, apparently JB sees a negative in doing this, or at least not an overall positive, at least in the past.

He likes having the guys back and in position when the other team enters the offensive zone. Not many teams have consistently rolled the ball up. I would be shocked if it is allowed to happen tomorrow night.

He likes having the guys back and in position when the other team enters the offensive zone. Not many teams have consistently rolled the ball up. I would be shocked if it is allowed to happen tomorrow night.
Did Virginia roll the ball up vs. Iowa State last night? Did Iowa State force them to dribble? I didn't notice.

Did Virginia roll the ball up vs. Iowa State last night? Did Iowa State force them to dribble? I didn't notice.
More the other way around. They (ISU - edit) rolled the ball at least twice that I can remember, probably more often. They used a full-court press at the end of the game and we torched them for 5 (by their fanboard's count) very easy 2 or 3-on-1 baskets.

Last edited:
I haven't seen Virginia much this year. I did see them demolish Iowa State's press at the end of the game. If they roll the ball up consistently it is smart. It makes for more actual playing time, lengthening the game, if you will. You want to do that if you are the better team.

I haven't seen Virginia much this year. I did see them demolish Iowa State's press at the end of the game. If they roll the ball up consistently it is smart. It makes for more actual playing time, lengthening the game, if you will. You want to do that if you are the better team.
Well, it gives them the full 30 seconds against the zone.

many teams losing in close game,do delay touching the ball. jb rarely puts someone on the ball and i expect nothing changes. if we are losing, we will be pressing anyway

many teams losing in close game,do delay touching the ball. jb rarely puts someone on the ball and i expect nothing changes. if we are losing, we will be pressing anyway

I don't think we're talking about end of game situations. The first game we played this season against UVA they did it consistently throughout the game and giving them 30 seconds as opposed to say 22 seconds to get a look against our zone takes away some of the advantage that we have on defense.

Our defense typically gets a couple of shot clock violations per game. With an extra 6 or 8 seconds on the offensive side of midcourt the defense probably doesn't get those shot clock violations.

Last edited:
I don't think we're talking about end of game situations. The first game we played this season against UVA they did it consistently throughout the game and giving them 30 seconds as opposed to say 22 seconds to get a look against our zone takes away some of the advantage that we have on defense.
If it took 6 seconds to bring it up, that's a 20% advantage in rolling the ball. It can be the difference in the game.

Question: Except in dead ball situations, the game clock continues to run as the ball rolls up the floor. So does the shot clock not start until the ball is touched in-bounds?

Question: Except in dead ball situations, the game clock continues to run as the ball rolls up the floor. So does the shot clock not start until the ball is touched in-bounds?
Yes, the shot clock starts when someone touches the ball in-bounds.

Drives me nuts when we don't do something about rolling the ball up the court. Gives the other team more time in our end. Have to defend longer. I don't know why coach allows it

Drives me nuts when we don't do something about rolling the ball up the court. Gives the other team more time in our end. Have to defend longer. I don't know why coach allows it
I'll actually be kind of shocked if he doesn't take that away from them. JB has been veering away from his comfort zone a little bit in this tourney with his rotations and last night with the early press.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
CuseGuy44

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom