Does Tyus leave... | Page 4 | Syracusefan.com

Does Tyus leave...

Wrong again: Eric Devendorf

Assist averages of 2.3, 4.1, 3.9 (in a partial year), and 3.0.

When you're argumentative, it's courteous to at least skim the stats.

Devo played PG one year, so his role was to set up teammates. 3 assists per game and 3.0 turnovers per game as a SR. 2.0 rebounds per game. Battle a better defender as well.

Last edited:
When your team barely takes over 50 shots per game in conference and you take 7 of those from deep while being a 30% shooter than thats a fairly decent description. Mix in an assist to turnover ratio that's double...in the bad way and I don't find poor as a particularly poor choice of word.
No offense, but you're quoting stats without even considering context. It makes it seem like you haven't paid attention to him at all this year.

His efficiency is not great and who knows if it would be any better with better teammates. But when you have to CONSTANTLY create for yourself, especially late in the shot clock, it's not easy to be an efficient scorer. It's hard to evaluate him compared to other players at different schools, who aren't play 40 minutes a game and shouldering so much offensively. Yes, he could be a better rebounder, but he's a good zone defender and active.

I say Battle's leaving depends on his goals. If he wants to be drafted by the NBA he will probably be back. None of the mock drafts I looked at had him as a 1st round draft choice. The one mock draft that went through the 2nd round did not have Battle in it.

2018 Mock Draft | NBADraft.net

This list of the top 100 college players has Battle at #71, albeit it was done before the beginning of the season.

Ranking the top 100 (and one) best college basketball players for 2017-18

Battle is certainly a major asset on the SU team. Strong. Tall for a guard. Can get to the rim. But he is not a great shooter. Not a good rebounder. Will not rack up assists. Right now I don't see him being drafted by the NBA. He could certainly go the free agent route or look to play overseas. He is a good student from what I understand so that might come into play in his decision. I hope he returns because next year's team could use his leadership and abilities. If he chooses to leave, I support him.

I'd expect a 6'6 athletic guard that plays 40mpg with a 29% usage rate that is a projected 1st rd talent to avg at least what he' scoring and then add at least 4 rebs & 4 asts at a 1-1 to ratio. Also expect avg shooting from deep if taking 7 per game.

Frank Howard only gets 5 assists per game. How is Battle going to get 4? Howard gets 3 rebounds per game as well. You want 4 from Battle?

True, but Triche also had a LOT better teammates to pass it to.

That said, Tyus has pretty much zero PG skills.
(no matter what his Dad may say)
He didn't display any last year, and he hasn't yet this year.
It's just not part of his game. Or else we would have seen it, even by accident.

Even Mali was a better playmaker for others than Tyus is.
And Dion was WAAAAAY better at setting up teammates than Tyus may ever be.

Triche has better guard skills and it’s not close IMO. I think battles best position professionally would be as a small ball 3, but he hasn’t shot it well and doesn’t rebound.

Ennis averaged more rebounds here and he was 6’2” 180 with below average athleticism.

One thing I'll throw out there with just the raw stat totals and comparing Devendorf to Battle; there are fewer possessions now than when Devo played. We average about 63.5 possessions per game this year, in 2009, Devo's last year, we were just shy of 70. So about 6 fewer possessions per game to score, get assists, steals, (also turnovers, to be fair) etc.

One thing I'll throw out there with just the raw stat totals and comparing Devendorf to Battle; there are fewer possessions now than when Devo played. We average about 63.5 possessions per game this year, in 2009, Devo's last year, we were just shy of 70. So about 6 fewer possessions per game to score, get assists, steals, (also turnovers, to be fair) etc.

That’s a great point.

His PER is pretty pedestrian for a guy who is the center of the offense and one who has the liberty to take as many shots as he would like to. PER isn't the be all end all statistic and a poor one doesn't necessarily mean a poor draft rating or someone who can't get drafted, but it's much better to have a PER greater than 20 if the goal is to be drafted.

ETA: But whatever, if Tyus wants to go pro, go for it. I just don't think he'll get drafted in the 1st or early 2nd. My bet would be undrafted. If people are suggesting he's a 1st rounder, I'd like to see an argument for it.

That said, Eric assisted on 15% of our baskets when he played, and Battle is right around 10%.

But, that doesn't account for the relative talent of the players around both guys

Poor in a vacuum and poor as an NBA early entry guy are 2 completely different things. Think we're all discussing the latter.

Lonnie Walker, Miami's shooting guard is averaging 11 ppg, and his rebound (2.9) and assist numbers (1.5) are nearly identical to Battle's. He's a projected 1st rounder.

Lonnie Walker, Miami's shooting guard is averaging 11 ppg, and his rebound (2.9) and assist numbers (1.5) are nearly identical to Battle's. He's a projected 1st rounder.

Walker is the better pro prospect. He’s playing 24 minutes a game shooting 50 percent overall and 37 percent from 3 on another team that struggles to score.

He's a projected 1st rounder.
Talent differential. Walker is also only playing 24 mpg. Extrapolate those per game totals to per 40 numbers and he's been better than Battle, plus he's a full year younger.

His NBA prospects have been poor, he hasn't been pretty good. If he was we'd be better and his NBA prospects would be better

How much better would we be? We are playing a bunch of freshmen you said were not any good because they weren't ranked in the Top 100.

Also, when did the draft happen?

How much better would we be? We are playing a bunch of freshmen you said were not any good because they weren't ranked in the Top 100.

Also, when did the draft happen?
What's your point here? Do you think Tyus is a first rounder? Top 20?

Talent differential. Walker is also only playing 24 mpg. Extrapolate those per game totals to per 40 numbers and he's been better than Battle, plus he's a full year younger.

Walker played 40 minutes the last two games, and is playing 30 plus the last 5. He's not racking up a lot of assists or rebounds either. Not much different He's a better shooter, for sure.

What's your point here? Do you think Tyus is a first rounder? Top 20?

No, my point is that Battle hasn't been "poor", but pretty good. He's averaging 20 ppg, shoots it pretty well, and has been a leader for us. This is not a good team, and he's doing a good job. Plays good defense as well. I'm not sure he will get drafted at all, but I think that will be determined by his combines.

No, my point is that Battle hasn't been "poor", but pretty good. He's averaging 20 ppg, shoots it pretty well, and has been a leader for us. This is not a good team, and he's doing a good job. Plays good defense as well. I'm not sure he will get drafted at all, but I think that will be determined by his combines.
So semantics, then.

OK, have fun.

It's funny the only pg you ignore is minutes per game, Lonnie is playing 10 minutes less per game than Battle.

Ignore the fact he's shooting better from 3 and is only a freshman.

Yes he did, are you even looking numbers up or just lying to prove your flawed point?

My mistake. Meant rebounds per game, not assists. Devendorf averaged 3 assists, 2 rebounds, and 3 turnovers per game as a SR. Was Devendorf "poor" as a SR?

It's funny the only pg you ignore is minutes per game, Lonnie is playing 10 minutes less per game than Battle.

Ignore the fact he's shooting better from 3 and is only a freshman.

I don't think the freshman part matters. He's projected as a 1st round draft pick, and is a similar player to Malachi. He's a shooting guard. He's not grabbing a bunch of rebounds or getting a ton of assists.

Battle's job is to score points, play defense and help us win. He's doing that.

I'd also point out that the points per game are pretty important, as the team with the most points wins. 20 per game is very good, not poor.

Last edited:
This happens every year. Cuse fans talk crap about their best players (20 year old college kids) and pray they don't get drafted (make 6 or 7 figures rather than play for free, often born in poor neighborhoods). Anybody else see the extreme selfishness of this? Do we still have a tourney team pretty much every year despite losing kids?

Most of these kids are recruited from other states. Why should they have loyalty to a college that is using them for ticket sales, TV revenue, and merch without paying them a dime? Why not come out early, get drafted in the 2nd round, make 6 figures, get cut, and make 6 figures in Europe for a decade? Or would they rather risk tearing an ACL while coming back to Cuse for a year to play for free for fans that will turn on them in a heartbeat if they go through a funk? Get lost.

I don't think the freshman part matters. He's projected as a 1st round draft pick, and is a similar player to Malachi. He's a shooting guard. He's not grabbing a bunch of rebounds or getting a ton of assists.

Battle's job is to score points, play defense and help us win. He's doing that.
You don't think age matters when comparing pro prospects?

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
vegasnick

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom