Does Tyus leave... | Page 6 | Syracusefan.com

Does Tyus leave...

I'll try to make this simple. If you expect him to be an efficient scorer when every defense throws everything they've got at stopping him, and we rely on him to score almost a third of our points anyway then your expectations are too high. Nobody is capable of efficiency under those circumstances.

Curious what you think about his form? I don't think his jumper looks fundamentally sound. There is an obvious hitch, despite what JB said on his radio show.

Also, are you not concerned by his inability to go left and finish with his left hand?

Tyus's biggest negative is his lack of a left hand, which is bizarre to me.
You can add Frank to that group. Just watch how defenders shade them to the right. And Oshae's contortionist act would also stop if he could go strong with his weaker hand.

As for assists, ideally yes, Battle would be a better passer, but lets not forget that he's a sophomore getting his first experience being "the man." In situations where we have a primary scorer who doesn't have a lot of experience Boeheim often times encourages them to just focus on what they do best. Carmelo Anthony had the ball in his hands more than Battle does and averaged similar assists. Same with Dion Waiters. If Battle did come back, and still had relatively few assists as a junior, that would be a problem, I see it as less of a problem this year.

General, I wouldn't expect you to get your stats from the Alpharetta poster. Waiters averaged 2.5 assists in his 24 reserve minutes per game; Tyus is averaging 1.5. There's no doubt that his first, second, and third roles are as scorer this year, and it's no easy task being the focus of defensive attention (part of the reason I'm neither surprised nor disappointed that his perimeter shooting has dropped), but this isn't a circumstance unique to Battle or this team.

Syracuse has had a lot of guards on a lot of teams with varying levels of scoring ability (at least half a dozen shooting in the .425-.435 range, as this team does), but Battle's assist-to-turnover ratio is without precedent. And nobody's even close. There have been a lot of McNamaras and Gbinijes and Cooneys with some pretty weak supporting casts, but they all managed to keep their heads above water on that stat while taking ~450 field goals and shouldering most of the scoring.

Not trying to crap on Battle, not trying to predict anything about his NBA prospects, but to see this statistic dismissed in the historic context doesn't make sense. He's unique in his struggles in this aspect of the game.

General, I wouldn't expect you to get your stats from the Alpharetta poster. Waiters averaged 2.5 assists in his 24 reserve minutes per game; Tyus is averaging 1.5. There's no doubt that his first, second, and third roles are as scorer this year, and it's no easy task being the focus of defensive attention (part of the reason I'm neither surprised nor disappointed that his perimeter shooting has dropped), but this isn't a circumstance unique to Battle or this team.

Syracuse has had a lot of guards on a lot of teams with varying levels of scoring ability (at least half a dozen shooting in the .425-.435 range, as this team does), but Battle's assist-to-turnover ratio is without precedent. And nobody's even close. There have been a lot of McNamaras and Gbinijes and Cooneys with some pretty weak supporting casts, but they all managed to keep their heads above water on that stat while taking ~450 field goals and shouldering most of the scoring.

Not trying to crap on Battle, not trying to predict anything about his NBA prospects, but to see this statistic dismissed in the historic context doesn't make sense. He's unique in his struggles in this aspect of the game.

So if Battle had 1 less turnover per game, he’s having a great season in your mind? 1-1 a/t is ok for you? Like Devo?

Or if Battle’s teammates converted one more of his passes per game?

Seems weird to focus on one stat.

Its pretty sad that some posters have to attack others because their opinions may differ from your own. I like hearing unbiased opinions about the players and team we all root for. Criticism doesn’t make you a bad person or not a fan.

it’s not just semantics ... poor and really good.
Define, please. Poor and really good are exceptionally vague terms.
Watch the games. Battle has been one of the best players in the ACC.
He is without a doubt. But that doesn't mean that he's an NBA first rounder or even a 2nd rounder. He plays a lot of minutes and gets to take lots of shots. He makes quite a few of them, too. I don't think Tyus is athletic enough to overcome his shortcomings as a scoring guard, despite his NBA size. Ultimately, I think he's a slightly undersized 3. And he's still crazy athletic compared to the rest of us schlubs.
If you expect him to be an efficient scorer when every defense throws everything they've got at stopping him
I posted his stats earlier in this thread. From last year (being the 4th option on a very good shooting team) to this year (being the first option), his percentages are nearly identical, which is a credit to him, but I think being the focus of the defense is being overblown here.

I think that college players should go pro whenever they can. If Tyus wants to get paid to play basketball, I don't really care, good for him, but I don't see him as a first round pick. I also don't think he gets much better with another year. He is what he is. This also speaks to your fringe 50-60 players. Syracuse gets a lot of 'tweeners as recruits. Though I don't think very many front offices commit the resources of a draft pick based on a handful of minutes or a game or two.

I do think looking at the total of mock drafts is a good thing. I don't get too worked up over pick-by-pick predictions, but they're obviously made up of tiers and I generally trust the conventional wisdom aspect of them (e.g., if a guy isn't showing up in any of them, there is a reason).

Responding to the thread starter as to whether he's gone or not, that's only something that Tyus can answer, but based on posts from various insiders, it looks like he's made up his mind. So ...

Its pretty sad that some posters have to attack others because their opinions may differ from your own. I like hearing unbiased opinions about the players and team we all root for. Criticism doesn’t make you a bad person or not a fan.
There is one poster making it his life work to fight everything.
It’s pointless when he is involved.
Battle is gone.
We know it.
The coaches know it when they took Hughes.
His family knows it.

I thank the kid for 2 years and good luck in professional basketball.
It sucks he has played on teams with little support but that is the coach.

Why are the standards unreasonable? Kid wants to head to the league after this year and we want him to play for us to that level. He is being graded on that curve and isn't hitting it. If anyone thinks he is exceeding their expectations than I'm not sure what you were hoping for but must not have been very high.

Kids giving us a helluva effort every game but a lot of us just feel he's not at the level we and I imagine he was expecting and it's primarily efficiency based. No one thinks he's or below average.
He's not an inefficient scorer. His TS% is .546 as the first option and primary focus of every defense he faces. His overall FG% is up in ACC play. His play may have been hampered by the fall he took earlier in the season.

Could he be doing better? Of course, but he's still been damn solid and the rest of the story is still to be written.

Curious what you think about his form? I don't think his jumper looks fundamentally sound. There is an obvious hitch, despite what JB said on his radio show.

Also, are you not concerned by his inability to go left and finish with his left hand?

I think a big question mark is whether Battle can develop a consistent (by NBA standards) 3 point shot. The line is obviously longer, and I think this could be an issue with his release.

I think a big question mark is whether Battle can develop a consistent (by NBA standards) 3 point shot. The line is obviously longer, and I think this could be an issue with his release.

Ha ha. I'm laughing because in my longer post I was going to mention my concern about his range being limited but I had a lot of negative points already. I've noticed he front rims a lot of deep 3's, probably because of his release, as you said.

Again, to be clear, I like Tyus a lot so it pained me to post what I did. I also think he's a pretty solid college player, just not as great as I thought he'd be. Some of that is because he's not surrounded by incredible talent but that's not all of it either.

Define, please. Poor and really good are exceptionally vague terms.

He is without a doubt. But that doesn't mean that he's an NBA first rounder or even a 2nd rounder. He plays a lot of minutes and gets to take lots of shots. He makes quite a few of them, too. I don't think Tyus is athletic enough to overcome his shortcomings as a scoring guard, despite his NBA size. Ultimately, I think he's a slightly undersized 3. And he's still crazy athletic compared to the rest of us schlubs.

I posted his stats earlier in this thread. From last year (being the 4th option on a very good shooting team) to this year (being the first option), his percentages are nearly identical, which is a credit to him, but I think being the focus of the defense is being overblown here.

I think that college players should go pro whenever they can. If Tyus wants to get paid to play basketball, I don't really care, good for him, but I don't see him as a first round pick. I also don't think he gets much better with another year. He is what he is. This also speaks to your fringe 50-60 players. Syracuse gets a lot of 'tweeners as recruits. Though I don't think very many front offices commit the resources of a draft pick based on a handful of minutes or a game or two.

I do think looking at the total of mock drafts is a good thing. I don't get too worked up over pick-by-pick predictions, but they're obviously made up of tiers and I generally trust the conventional wisdom aspect of them (e.g., if a guy isn't showing up in any of them, there is a reason).

Responding to the thread starter as to whether he's gone or not, that's only something that Tyus can answer, but based on posts from various insiders, it looks like he's made up his mind. So ...

To me “poor” means not good or bad. “Really good” means very good. Much better than “poor”. Kaleb Joseph was bad. So was Buss Patterson.

I never said he was a first rounder.

I don’t think mock drafts are all that accurate this time of year. It’s a lot of guessing. Nobody had Malachi Richardson in their mock drafts at this time 2 years ago.

I think Tyus has had a very good season and you seem to agree.

There is one poster making it his life work to fight everything.
It’s pointless when he is involved.
Battle is gone.
We know it.
The coaches know it when they took Hughes.
His family knows it.

I thank the kid for 2 years and good luck in professional basketball.
It sucks he has played on teams with little support but that is the coach.

I’m just giving my opinion buddy. That’s what this forum is for, right?

And there’s the shot at Boeheim, as per your usual. Lol.

Feel free to ignore my posts if you don’t like them.

This board year after year still doesn't understand that Chris McCollugh has made more money in the NBA than Kris Joseph, CJ Fair, and Rak Christmas combined.

Having a good or great college season means nothing.

How about people post their true opinions instead of for acceptance or likes. That would be great!

Well, I can’t speak for anyone else, but I can assure you I post my true opinions. And if a certain group of posters don’t like it, so what?

Didn't you tell someone to "learn to read" in like post 5?

How about people post their true opinions instead of for acceptance or likes. That would be great!
I'm pretty sure the avid SU fans on this board, most of whom post here in anonymity, are expressing their real opinions.

I'm pretty sure the avid SU fans on this board, most of whom post here in anonymity, are expressing their real opinions.
I disagree because a good amount of these posters know each other .

I stated it above Br801. Your posts get on my nerves sometimes but i dont hate you. I don’t know you personally to say what kind of person you are. That’s being honest and unbiased.

This board year after year still doesn't understand that Chris McCollugh has made more money in the NBA than Kris Joseph, CJ Fair, and Rak Christmas combined.

Having a good or great college season means nothing.

While that's true that it doesn't, regression and exposing flaws and lacking important qualities for your NBA position does mean something.

Well you may have missed the on ramp to the high road yourself.
I don’t criticize others opinions about certain topics but if the same poster has a history of being argumentative im going to respond the same way.

I’m just giving my opinion buddy. That’s what this forum is for, right?

And there’s the shot at Boeheim, as per your usual. Lol.

Feel free to ignore my posts if you don’t like them.
200w.gif

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
SYRtoBOS

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom