Dolezaj | Page 2 | Syracusefan.com

Dolezaj

The guy looks like he knows what he's doing out there.

Could stand to eat a chicken parmesan sandwich or something once in a while.
Agreed - so far it looks like he has a real nice feel for the game. As opposed to Moyer, who looks a little lost on the court right now.

If Marek keeps this up - and if Geno can give them some scoring/shooting off the bench, I think they might be able to generate enough offense to be in the mix for the big dance come March.

Marek is awesome! He's so good on defense which we desperately need. Marek's court defense with Moyer's rebounding is much needed for this team to have any real success against better teams. I imagine as the season goes on Marek's offense will come on strong and he will become and indispensable part of the team on both ends. Battle needs glue!

I like Marek. Clearly he needs to get stronger, and he will in time. His shot needs some work too. BUT, this guy has ALL the intangibles. He's scrappy, hardworking, coachable, intelligent on the court, understands defensive positioning, and is just flat out energizing to the rest of the team.

He will struggle at times, especially against stronger competition. But with his work ethic, IQ, and time in the weight room, I fully expect Marek to be a MAJOR contributor come next year. This season, I will enjoy watching his growth and how quickly he can progress.

I like Marek. Clearly he needs to get stronger, and he will in time. His shot needs some work too. BUT, this guy has ALL the intangibles. He's scrappy, hardworking, coachable, intelligent on the court, understands defensive positioning, and is just flat out energizing to the rest of the team.

He will struggle at times, especially against stronger competition. But with his work ethic, IQ, and time in the weight room, I fully expect Marek to be a MAJOR contributor come next year. This season, I will enjoy watching his growth and how quickly he can progress.

JB from his post-Iona Presser (loosely quoted) "Don't worry about Merek's weight. Warrick weighed 160 when he got here and 180 when he left and was a pretty good player. Merek adding weight might slow him down. I'm not concerned about his weight. Stop dwelling on the negative and open your eyes to the positive. Merek is a very good player with a lot of skills that makes a difference in the game."

JB from his post-Iona Presser (loosely quoted) "Don't worry about Merek's weight. Warrick weighed 160 when he got here and 180 when he left and was a pretty good player. Merek adding weight might slow him down. I'm not concerned about his weight. Stop dwelling on the negative and open your eyes to the positive. Merek is a very good player with a lot of skills that makes a difference in the game."

The game is played and officiated very differently than when Warrick played. Once upon a time, post players were allowed to establish position without being wrestled and things like bludgeoning a shooter with arms or body were generally frowned upon and rewarded with free throws.

Dolezaj is skilled and a potential producer, but what Louis Orr or Hakim Warrick accomplished has nothing to do with what to expect in the here and now.

The game is played and officiated very differently than when Warrick played. Once upon a time, post players were allowed to establish position without being wrestled and things like bludgeoning a shooter with arms or body were generally frowned upon and rewarded with free throws.

Dolezaj is skilled and a potential producer, but what Louis Orr or Hakim Warrick accomplished has nothing to do with what to expect in the here and now.
I don't believe that. College hoops was plenty physical when Warrick played.

People thought Ethan Cole would be good because he had big arms. People thought Marek wouldn’t be good because he’s skinny.

It’s basketball. Strength helps but it’s hardly the most important factor.

Interesting response to JazzNC. I guess you only read his (among other posters) true observations as "dwelling on the negative". Seems like you must have missed all the positive comments he wrote.

So JB is FOS?
Interesting response to JazzNC. I guess you only read his (among other posters) true observations as "dwelling on the negative". Seems like you must have missed all the positive comments he wrote.

I listen very carefully to JB. He's at a point in his career where 1.) People ought to know he knows what he is talking about and 2.) He's free to tell the truth instead on mouthing "coach speak".

I realize that "players must get heavier and more muscular to compete" is a well-accepted truism. That's the problem as too many on here buy the thing "hook, line and sinker" . (I agree, it's hard for underdeveloped kids to move into the NBA where they are playing a slightly different game with grown men)

JB's point, I think, was that it's less important in college basketball (maybe way less important) than the average reporter and average fan think it is.

Imagine that!!! JB is challenging the accepted reporter/fan wisdom. That's risky business. Telling people that what they think is true, isn't true. Or that its no where near as true as they think it is. And that there are downsides to more weight and muscle including less quickness and agility.

But JB does this all the time. How many times have you heard that Zone defenses aren't effective at shutting down good outside shooting? (You can force someone out of a zone by making outside shots.) These is a "fact" to almost every announcer and commentator). But the actual data proves it's not true.

That is what it boils down to for you, predictably. Tilting at windmills...

When I hear two points of view, I look at the sources of the information or the opinion to see if there's a difference in the credibility of the two sources.

The problem here is that this approach shuts down a lot of the wisdom-sharing that posters would like to do.

Everybody is entitled to their opinion. But they are not entitled to that opinion being taken seriously. Me too.

I started watching this game once i got my log in info. I watched like 15 minutes and Dolezaj was allover the place.
I set the stream up in my room and fell asleep 5 minutes before tip and woke up with 40 seconds left in the game

there were plays he didnt make because he got knocked around, and balls he didnt hold onto because he needs to get stronger. he can get stronger and not really get all that much bigger. Size helps to box out, but his quickness helps in a bunch of areas too.. if he hads 10-20 lbs he wont look a ton different but he will make more plays.. It may also make him a better leaper. who knows

How in the world can you possibly take my post as a negative? I listed a whole bunch of positive attributes. I also didn't say he needs to gain weight. I said he needs to get stronger, and hit the weight room. I really think you need to re read what I said. Nuff said. MAREK will be a very good player, and I'm excited to watch his growth and development.

Last edited:

Thank you. I'm used to it. Generally speaking I like to think I'm a positive person, but a realist. I also think JB and company do a great job recruiting and coaching. But on the occasion that I do see differently, I share it. God forbid anyone post that they disagree with the consensus on this board. You become a marked man. Cest la vie.

When I hear two points of view, I look at the sources of the information or the opinion to see if there's a difference in the credibility of the two sources.

The problem here is that this approach shuts down a lot of the wisdom-sharing that posters would like to do.

Everybody is entitled to their opinion. But they are not entitled to that opinion being taken seriously. Me too.

Boeheim is a great coach. I am a huge fan. Syracuse literally could not have gotten luckier.

But ... the idea that everything he says is correct, or an accurate prognostication, is nuts. Boeheim says things. That these things are often wrong doesn't make him less of a coach, but that he is a great coach also doesn't make the things he says unassailable.

"We've got everything. This is the best team I've had in a long time." Is what he said before last years nit season.

"He's the most versatile player this league has seen in a long time." In re Otto porter.

"Next years recruiting class will be the best we've ever had." 2015 (the Malachi/Lydon class, which was very good but nowhere near that good.)

He said something very similar about the 03 class, which ended up a huge disappointment.

On the merits here I would guess Hak added 15-20 lbs in his time at SU. And it looks like he was listed at 219 when he left. So I'm not sure he disproves the idea that md is going to need to bulk up to be something more than a valuable energy/role player.

Boeheim is a great coach. I am a huge fan. Syracuse literally could not have gotten luckier.

But ... the idea that everything he says is correct, or an accurate prognostication, is nuts. Boeheim says things. That these things are often wrong doesn't make him less of a coach, but that he is a great coach also doesn't make the things he says unassailable.

"We've got everything. This is the best team I've had in a long time." Is what he said before last years nit season.

"He's the most versatile player this league has seen in a long time." In re Otto porter.

"Next years recruiting class will be the best we've ever had." 2015 (the Malachi/Lydon class, which was very good but nowhere near that good.)

He said something very similar about the 03 class, which ended up a huge disappointment.

On the merits here I would guess Hak added 15-20 lbs in his time at SU. And it looks like he was listed at 219 when he left. So I'm not sure he disproves the idea that md is going to need to bulk up to be something more than a valuable energy/role player.

Very good post!

Everyone knows that Marek (like Lydon, Andy Rautins, Damone Brown, and a host of others) will get better, as he gets stronger (adds muscle, year to year). JB knows this -- so allow a little slack in his exact wording.

He really means don't dwell on the obvious (Marek is thin) and take note of the positives with the young player: he moves well, is a tough kid, works on defense, passes well, seems to be smart. He is working into a bigger role, so focus on that.

Boeheim has made some crazy statements no doubt, but the quotes you list are all statements made to the media. He's speaking "coach-speak" which is said to get a certain reaction from the media. Most of the time he's trying to get a buzz around the team to get more votes in the polls. With the Hak/weight statement, he was just making a point.

I bet if you had a private convo with Boeheim he would be more honest and less guarded than he is in front of the media. As would we all.

He also said that Hak showed up here at 160! Hopefully no dementia.

So JB is FOS?

I listen very carefully to JB. He's at a point in his career where 1.) People ought to know he knows what he is talking about and 2.) He's free to tell the truth instead on mouthing "coach speak".

I realize that "players must get heavier and more muscular to compete" is a well-accepted truism. That's the problem as too many on here buy the thing "hook, line and sinker" . (I agree, it's hard for underdeveloped kids to move into the NBA where they are playing a slightly different game with grown men)

JB's point, I think, was that it's less important in college basketball (maybe way less important) than the average reporter and average fan think it is.

Imagine that!!! JB is challenging the accepted reporter/fan wisdom. That's risky business. Telling people that what they think is true, isn't true. Or that its no where near as true as they think it is. And that there are downsides to more weight and muscle including less quickness and agility.

But JB does this all the time. How many times have you heard that Zone defenses aren't effective at shutting down good outside shooting? (You can force someone out of a zone by making outside shots.) These is a "fact" to almost every announcer and commentator). But the actual data proves it's not true.
I guess everyone has somehow forgotten that skinny lil freshman Tyler Lydon helped lead us to a Final Four playing more than half his time at center. And that stick figure Baye Keita was our 20-25 mpg center for our 2013 Final Four. Marek doesn’t need to be a star this season. We just need him to be a solid role player at the forward position.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
SYRtoBOS

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom