Dome Close to Hosting Crowds Again? | Page 3 | Syracusefan.com

Dome Close to Hosting Crowds Again?

Status
Not open for further replies.
i don’t see that happening at all...it’d be like your by yourself in your living room. Walmart allows 5 people per 1,000 square feet. The Dome is 527,000 square feet so the Dome could reasonably allow 2,500 people in. That’s about 20 people per section.

Walmart sells food and life essentials that people need to live. The Dome is 18-22 year olds running around with a ball. So even if they have comparable levels of Covid risk, you're still expanding the overall risk to society by opening up events to things that aren't necessary.

I'll play devils advocate and I'm all for allowing some fans in. When you in Walmart your not sitting next to someone for 3 to 4 hours.

It's called 'social distancing'. 20 people per section, you could probably space 20 feet apart or more. I guarantee I'm closer to people in walmart than I would be in the Dome.

Walmart sells food and life essentials that people need to live. The Dome is 18-22 year olds running around with a ball. So even if they have comparable levels of Covid risk, you're still expanding the overall risk to society by opening up events to things that aren't necessary.

oh ok got it. The virus doesn't spread where essentials are sold? (actually it doesn't when precautions are taken or else we'd hear about it more often.) Non existent. When is the last time we heard about community spread in walmart or wegmans (in CNY) ??

Last edited:
I'll play devils advocate and I'm all for allowing some fans in. When you in Walmart your not sitting next to someone for 3 to 4 hours.

What does time have do with an airborne virus? What, it travels 6 ft in 3 hours? This makes absolutely no sense. Zero.

but is there any one person at Walmart that hang around for more than 30 secs?

there's more movement and greater chance of spread with people walking all over every inch of the stores (and touching everything). Being alone in the Dome with no one moving around would be far less chance of catching anything.

Last edited:
oh ok got it. The virus doesn't spread where essentials are sold? (actually it doesn't when precautions are taken or else we'd here about it more often.) Non existent. When is the last time we heard about community spread in walmart or wegmans (in CNY) ??

You didn't understand my post. I completely acknowledge that the virus spreads in Walmart. Of course it does. But Walmart sells food and medicine and baby formula, etc. so it has to remain open.

The Dome serves no essential societal purpose to anyone except CuseRunner.

Then why do they let them in to buy, say, vacuums? Are vacuums food or life essential? No. If we were being honest and serious, AND treating things equally, just keep the food section open and allow a few people in at a time. But, that's not going to happen for several reasons.

You didn't understand my post. I completely acknowledge that the virus spreads in Walmart. Of course it does. But Walmart sells food and medicine and baby formula, etc. so it has to remain open.

The Dome serves no essential societal purpose to anyone except CuseRunner.

Got it . But there's a million things that serve no essential purpose.

Then why do they let them in to buy, say, vacuums? Are vacuums food or life essential? No.

It's a grayscale spectrum. Food is critical for survival. You don't need a vacuum to survive, but it's a reasonably necessary appliance for a family in a first world country for sanitary purposes.

At the extreme end of the spectrum is putting people inside a building to watch sports during a pandemic.

Being a lone in the Dome with no one moving around would be far less chance of catching anything.

But it's impossible to fully mitigate the risk no matter how hard you try. If you have 8k people inside the Dome, germs will do their thing. And then people (inevitably some of whom will be asymptomatic infected) will go home and unknowingly interact with their grandparents. If even one extra person dies from that, which is a virtual guarantee, why was it worth it? Just watch the games on TV. You can buy a 60" HDTV for like a few hundred bucks these days.

What does time have do with an airborne virus? What, it travels 6 ft in 3 hours? This makes absolutely no sense. Zero.
Your wearing a mask, and if your coming into contact with someone with covid its for a few seconds.

It's called 'social distancing'. 20 people per section, you could probably space 20 feet apart or more. I guarantee I'm closer to people in walmart than I would be in the Dome.
The games I have seen where fans were present, 80 pct of the time people were on top of each other. If I am in Walmart I am in and out as fast as possible avoiding as many people as I can.

tenor.gif.cf.gif

But it's impossible to fully mitigate the risk no matter how hard you try. If you have 8k people inside the Dome, germs will do their thing. And then people (inevitably some of whom will be asymptomatic infected) will go home and unknowingly interact with their grandparents. If even one extra person dies from that, which is a virtual guarantee, why was it worth it? Just watch the games on TV. You can buy a 60" HDTV for like a few hundred bucks these days.

Can you buy it at Walmart?

Cigarettes, illicit drugs and alcohol harm way more.

Covid-19 does cause medical impacts but some little Twitter snippet without sources was BS. A bunch of wild numbers thrown out to scare the gullible.

Cigarettes -- banned in public places, individual consumption choice

Illicit drugs -- banned by law enforcement, individual consumption choice

Alcohol -- prohibited consumption in public in majority of locations, individual consumption choice

COVID-19 -- disease, most certainly not an individual consumption choice

Your comparison holds zero water.

If SU's rationale is that they don't want non-students / workers on campus I get it. Opening it up for students should be fine.

It's a lot different facility that others.

Cigarettes -- banned in public places, individual consumption choice

Illicit drugs -- banned by law enforcement, individual consumption choice

Alcohol -- prohibited consumption in public in majority of locations, individual consumption choice

COVID-19 -- disease, most certainly not an individual consumption choice

Your comparison holds zero water.

Not saying I agree with TexanMark or saying he was truly making this point, but isn't the comparison the individual choice of attending the game or going to Wal-Mart or going outside at all during the pandemic?

I teach in a smallish classroom with 18 8th grade students every day. I think I would feel safer in the Dome with a super limited capacity. I know not everyone would, so it then becomes that individual choice again?

Not saying I agree with TexanMark or saying he was truly making this point, but isn't the comparison the individual choice of attending the game or going to Wal-Mart or going outside at all during the pandemic?

I teach in a smallish classroom with 18 8th grade students every day. I think I would feel safer in the Dome with a super limited capacity. I know not everyone would, so it then becomes that individual choice again?

Sure -- if that's the argument you want to make. It is your choice to do whatever you want.

However, when there is risk to the general public via transmitted disease, the game changes.

If it were up to the federal government, we would have already created a herd immunity scenario and wiped out upwards of a million people. Then again, the numbers the hospitals are giving are phony anyway! It's all a sham! DON'T BELIEVE WHAT ANYONE IS TELLING YOU!

and bathrooms are probably a good area to avoid at these times.
I just wear my crazy, psycho ditched ex-gf astronaut approved travel diaper. Gets me from Houston to Cape Canaveral, no problem.

People talk about saving one life makes it worthwhile. BS, people die traveling to and from sporting events, die from the flu, die from locking down in Covid avoidance.

You open up and let people get back to living. If you want to hide in a basement go ahead.

Sure -- if that's the argument you want to make. It is your choice to do whatever you want.

However, when there is risk to the general public via transmitted disease, the game changes.

If it were up to the federal government, we would have already created a herd immunity scenario and wiped out upwards of a million people. Then again, the numbers the hospitals are giving are phony anyway! It's all a sham! DON'T BELIEVE WHAT ANYONE IS TELLING YOU!

I don't want to touch that last paragraph, as that has nothing to do with my point (or that of this thread). I was just saying that I see the drugs, alcohol, cigs, and COVID as all pertaining to individual choice. We all have some level of choice in how we choose to expose ourselves to the virus.

I don't want to touch that last paragraph, as that has nothing to do with my point (or that of this thread). I was just saying that I see the drugs, alcohol, cigs, and COVID as all pertaining to individual choice. We all have some level of choice in how we choose to expose ourselves to the virus.

I would disagree. The first three are consumption choices. The final one is a contagion.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jc824

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom