Dome Renovation | Page 2 | Syracusefan.com

Dome Renovation

As described this is a massive project well beyond anything projected on this board. I can't see how this takes less than 2-3 yrs. I imagine it is going to need all of the state money promised for the new stadium. I like the fact they are staying on campus with a multi sport facility. It really keeps us unique.
What are you talking about. Minus the moving floor and a third wall and hotel this is exactly what I said. But what we it's great news and could come at a better time. Now people will stop talking about shafer

As described this is a massive project well beyond anything projected on this board. I can't see how this takes less than 2-3 yrs. I imagine it is going to need all of the state money promised for the new stadium. I like the fact they are staying on campus with a multi sport facility. It really keeps us unique.
Board decision timing coincides with selection of regions to receive the State's next "Buffalo Billion".

The hotel part is interesting. Many hotel franchise companies would give up front money, say $300,000-$500,000 of development money to have their name (marriott/Hyatt) on the building for 20 years.

I heard no disruption, but seeing what may happen, can't see how that could be true,

BTW, if it sends SU on the "road" next season in football, no way we're seeing a new coach.
I was going to post the same thing but didn't want to bring on the FIRE SHAFER crowd. I can do without another thread being hijacked down that road, thank you very much.

The expansion on the sides as well as the hotel can probably be done without disrupting the sports schedule beyond what is stated. Then summers can be used to tie those projects in. Whole enchilada could be 3 years to hotel completion but I can see this being done without additional disruption. All speculation on my part. No actual knowledge.

retro44 said:
C&S is the local company that is doing some engineering designs on the hard top roof.

COR...HA!

That is not true, unfortunately

Wonder if they are planning on expanding basketball seating capacity and adding a hotel so that they could host the FInal Four at some point. Gonna be an interesting couple of months :eat popcorn:
There's a 0% chance of Syracuse ever hosting a Final Four. Not enough hotel space, not enough hotels within walking distance, not enough parking, not enough businesses in the Dome vicinity to accomodate fans (100,000 were in downtown Atlanta during 2013 Final Four), etc. Heck, New Orleans and St. Louis were just turned down during the last round of bidding.

JJReddawg said:
There's a 0% chance of Syracuse ever hosting a Final Four. Not enough hotel space, not enough hotels within walking distance, not enough parking, not enough businesses in the Dome vicinity to accomodate fans (100,000 were in downtown Atlanta during 2013 Final Four), etc. Heck, New Orleans and St. Louis were just turned down during the last round of bidding.

True. Elite Eights. But we're never ever seeing a Final 4.

New Orleans was an embarrassment a few years ago hosting first and second round. Couldn't fill half an NBA arena with a good draw. They didn't deserve it.

Could they open up Manley again for BBall?

wow this is all really great news. 400-500M is a hell of a reno. I am betting the RFP is structured with base work, and then option work. Depending on how the option pricing looks, will determine whether they actually proceed with that specific work or not.

Very exciting times. Wish a few renders would leak.

wow this is all really great news. 400-500M is a hell of a reno. I am betting the RFP is structured with base work, and then option work. Depending on how the option pricing looks, will determine whether they actually proceed with that specific work or not.

Very exciting times. Wish a few renders would leak.
I agree. No way they'll spend 400-500M on a reno. Base work of 125-200M maybe?

what Syracuse will do for their home games? Bussing the team to Ralph Wilson stadium in Buffalo seems to make the most sense if the scheduling can match

What charter bus line are the homeys going to use to get us to and back from Buffalo?:D

jekelish said:
...so, outside of the hotel part...basically what's been discussed on this board for more than a month?

Most of it more than a year if not longer.

I was going to post the same thing but didn't want to bring on the FIRE SHAFER crowd. I can do without another thread being hijacked down that road, thank you very much.
Sorry, errant thumb. That said, I struggle to believe any of this is remotely in the works. The Board has not seen or discussed this, but the papers know and fabrication drawings are already being done? The $10 million IPF had three different architects and over two years of design and construction but a $400 million major dome expansion project will take a year from March? Wow. Here's insider stuff. The University of Maryland has been conceptualizing and planning a practice facility for 18 months now. Populous did the early ground work, like they are with the Dome. It then went to bid, and they lost. Another firm is now working on it and they are still in programming and schematic design. That is a renovation/expansion of Cole Fieldhouse, and most of the funding is already in place thanks to Kevin Plank. This is a practice facility, and it's at least another 18 months from completion (and I think my guess with that is aggressive). It's great fun to imagine and get excited about, but that article is about a full build concept, and in my opinion, whatever comes out of it from the board, is at least a year from a shovel in the ground.

Last edited:
Cusefan78 said:
So this is pretty much what I said two months ago was happening and I was blasted by most people on this forum for not knowing what I'm talking about. Give me a second to bask in this.

You know I had your back. I only thought maybe they had a change of heart on a couple things. If this article is true, they may have decided to go even bigger.

There's no way they finish this from March - November 2016.

Which means lost basketball games.

Which means more backlash.

Luke Bryan is in April

Cuseregular said:
holy sheet, if true. Great...I guess. But to spend that much while addressing zero the propects of an even worse parking situation likely, and to not have it downtown near destiny which would help Syracuse in general and also would take care of the parking issue and simultaneously create a potentially special tailgating environment, while spending this much $, which I think could build a whole new venue, to not have it where you can hit all the bases strikes me as shortsighted and nuts. But no surprise really to have a lack of foresight. A baseball stadium like situation (though not as bad)...shocker, NOT. And to increase the capacity? Crazy talk. I know I have no foresight or vision to dream. Gonna love and can't wait to see 25-30,000 seats empty instead of the current 20-25,000. :bang:

The article mentioned another parking garage and previous rumors have mentioned underground parking. It all sounds great for basketball but I don't know what that all means for football tailgating.

Cusefan78 said:
Yeah that's what I'm guessing. More basketball seats.

My guess too. Can't see them going more than the 49500 for football.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jc824

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom