Dome Renovation | Page 3 | Syracusefan.com

Dome Renovation

Free Article

October 28, 2015

Major Dome Renovations Underway?
Scott Brown

. . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . .

A few weeks ago . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . received information pertaining to the options that Syracuse University was weighing when it came to what the venue for future events would be. The source who indicated that Syracuse was considering a slew of changes, asked that the information be kept until after the board considered the options in November. However, with Syracuse.com reporting on the issue and leaking some of the information, it seems as if now is as good a time as ever to fill our members in on some privy inside information.

According to the source, the university is highly considering keeping the main sports arena on campus and remodeling and renovating the Carrier Dome. From what we gather, the bidding process for the project is underway as we speak and could range in the upper hundred million dollar range with a projection between $400 and $500 million dollars. Syracuse, which has been considering moving the venue to a downtown location, seems to have cooled on that idea and is now looking towards retaining an on campus dome.

From what we have heard, the university is looking to make the Carrier Dome more modern and aesthetically pleasing from the outside, and one of the most modern facilities on the inside. Below is a beginners list of what could possibly be on the table when the board reviews the options in November.

• Three of the sides of the Dome would be expanded:

On the east side, Archbold Gymnasium would become attached to the current structure and renovated to include new basketball courts and other sports features as well as a "museum" to honor the rich tradition and history of Syracuse University Athletics.

To the north, the Dome would eliminate Crouse Dr. and would expand into the Faulk College of Sport and Human Dynamics where new additions are to be made.

To the west, the Dome will push out to Irving Ave where a 6 to 8 story hotel and parking garage would be attached to the dome, much like the Rogers Center in Toronto. It is unknown if the rooms will overlook the field or not.
  • The south side of the dome will become larger as well to keep the symmetry, but also to expand the concourse and allow for the renovation of new concession stands (which is a point of emphasis with the expansion of the three other sides as well). This will not affect SUNY ESF in any way.
  • The locker rooms are to be expanded, renovated, and updated.
  • The roof would look less like a big balloon and more like a solid, metal structure. Again, modeled perhaps after Lucas Oil Stadium, windows around the outside of the roof will allow natural sunlight to enter the stadium. The idea of having the roof retract is still on the table but to a much smaller scale.
  • Luxury boxes are to be renovated and more added.
  • Seating is to be changed, reconfigured, and more added.
  • The stadium would have both a football field and a basketball court permanently built. The basketball court would be "stored away" during football games but moved mechanically to lie over the football field when needed. The entire process would be automated including the moving of the seating for basketball games.
  • Whether or not the new Carrier Dome will be equipped with air conditioning is not known at this time.

The process would begin as soon as the basketball season ended and would most likely continue beyond the start of the 2016 football season creating numerous problems. One of the biggest is what Syracuse will do for their home games? Bussing the team to Ralph Wilson stadium in Buffalo seems to make the most sense if the scheduling can match. MetLife Stadium shouldn't be off the table for consideration and it would seem as if the University of Buffalo's Stadium is too small (at 29,000 capacity). There will certainly be many avenues explored to make the situation the best that it can be. Whatever the decision, the athletic department is sure to meet backlash from the fans. In the long run, the changes that are on the table are exactly what the aging concrete structure needs to make Syracuse a more inviting venue for recruits, players, and fans from all over.

Just out of curiosity, I see this is listed as a "free article" but when I go to the site, it is only for members.

I assume/hope you didnt post "free article", but did they give us permission to do that?

Janner said:
Wonder if they are planning on expanding basketball seating capacity and adding a hotel so that they could host the FInal Four at some point. Gonna be an interesting couple of months :eat popcorn:

Ding ding ding. New media rooms and capabilities would be built in. Gives us everything we need for a F4.

Ding ding ding. New media rooms and capabilities would be built in. Gives us everything we need for a F4.

Im pretty sure we are about 3 or 4 hotels from filling that requirement.

So none of this is confirmed, right? Rumors similar to what's been floated here?

subarney said:
The hotel part is interesting. Many hotel franchise companies would give up front money, say $300,000-$500,000 of development money to have their name (marriott/Hyatt) on the building for 20 years.

That's not a bad idea. I've always mentioned Falk since I started talking about this and what would happen on the Irving side. With the Falk school being integrated, I figured Falk would be part of this financially. Like your idea better and maybe Falk gets his name in there on a smaller scale.

KellySyracuse said:
I was going to post the same thing but didn't want to bring on the FIRE SHAFER crowd. I can do without another thread being hijacked down that road, thank you very much.

Won't let that happen here.

Syracuse is the best college basketball city in the nation. I can see us hosting a Final Four with all of the new hotels that have been built over the past 10 years. It all depends on the dome renovation though, the press needs room and the technology needs to be brought into this decade.

Syracuse is the best college basketball city in the nation. I can see us hosting a Final Four with all of the new hotels that have been built over the past 10 years. It all depends on the dome renovation though, the press needs room and the technology needs to be brought into this decade.

Still need massive convention space for the Coaches Convention.

llandz said:
The expansion on the sides as well as the hotel can probably be done without disrupting the sports schedule beyond what is stated. Then summers can be used to tie those projects in. Whole enchilada could be 3 years to hotel completion but I can see this being done without additional disruption. All speculation on my part. No actual knowledge.

Yea, except for actually connecting buildings and the interior work I think a lot of that can be done on a non interference basis.

JJReddawg said:
There's a 0% chance of Syracuse ever hosting a Final Four. Not enough hotel space, not enough hotels within walking distance, not enough parking, not enough businesses in the Dome vicinity to accomodate fans (100,000 were in downtown Atlanta during 2013 Final Four), etc. Heck, New Orleans and St. Louis were just turned down during the last round of bidding.

I wouldn't say 0%. The thing that would hurt us is things to do for fans. Last I heard we were real close in hotel rooms and we needed more media space and capabilities. This could resolve those and at least make us "eligible.

rrlbees said:

I think they need that much more space just to satisfy Elite Eight media requirements. The media situation now is woefully bad. I'd be absolutely shocked if SU ever gets a Final 4.

You know I had your back. I only thought maybe they had a change of heart on a couple things. If this article is true, they may have decided to go even bigger.
I know you did. From the pms we pretty much heard the same stuff minus which building was being built in.

Cusefan78 said:
That's interesting. Forgot they announced that.

Depends on what they start on. Could be the outside work in supports for the roof. Could do an April concert still. Probably even with some of the internal reno they could pull off a concert with some of the seating unavailable at the one end.

rrlbees said:
Yea, except for actually connecting buildings and the interior work I think a lot of that can be done on a non interference basis.

I heard no interruption, including next graduation in May, over a 4-year period.

Still need massive convention space for the Coaches Convention.
One would think with Newhouse being what it is they would want something like this anyways. I remember someone saying they wanted to use the renovated dome as a teaching aid.

CusefanATL said:
Im pretty sure we are about 3 or 4 hotels from filling that requirement.

I forget the number but last I heard was we were X rooms short. May have been 3-4 hotels worth. But I think we've seen a couple new ones since and this would be another.

Scooch said:
So none of this is confirmed, right? Rumors similar to what's been floated here?

Correct.

I forget the number but last I heard was we were X rooms short. May have been 3-4 hotels worth. But I think we've seen a couple new ones since and this would be another.
plus the Hotel Syracuse

Cusefan78 said:
I know you did. From the pms we pretty much heard the same stuff minus which building was being built in.

Yea, we had different sides I think, now if this is true, it's both.

cuseguy said:
I heard no interruption, including next graduation in May, over a 4-year period.

Could be that too. A lot of planning naturally would have to go into this if there is no interruption.

Cusefan78 said:
One would think with Newhouse being what it is they would want something like this anyways. I remember someone saying they wanted to use the renovated dome as a teaching aid.

I've mentioned this before so it may tie into your post here, but I heard a couple years ago they were studying the possibility of an integrated Newhouse and Sports Management program option.

CusefanATL said:
Just out of curiosity, I see this is listed as a "free article" but when I go to the site, it is only for members. I assume/hope you didnt post "free article", but did they give us permission to do that?

I think you're correct and a mistake was made. I'm going to update the OP and any responses that included the article.

LOL. Well it was when he tweeted out the link to the story as I don't have a subscription.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jc824

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom