Dome Renovation | Page 68 | Syracusefan.com

Dome Renovation

That's been the plan from the beginning.
I read the AOA on alternate sites:

http://www.syracuse.com/orangesport...r_dome_during_renovat.html#incart_river_index

But I'm wondering why this has to be all or nothing. For BB, why not satisfy local fans by hosting games at Manley (unless it's infeasible), and move bigger matchups (Duke, UNC, etc.) to MSG? That would be a crazy year with most games at Manley and some at NY's other "home" court.

For FB, we could do the same thing with RW Stadium (or the WM or Cornell) and a few bigger games at MetLife. That way, STH's won't have to travel 5 hours for every game. I think it might go over better with the community and satisfy some of the concerns about seating for bigger events.

There is no seating in Manley and how do you handle 16,000 + season ticket holders?
You ask some to skip the season (I would), offer some half-season options, etc..

Welcome to "The Orange Honey Comb".

Current set up at Manley. Probably seats less than 1,000. Might be able to put temporary seating but at it's max the place held 10,000.

44775_full.jpg

if you let people keep their orange pack points many would be ok not going to some games for a year if it means a new better place. send a game or 2 to buffalo arena, a couple to albany, play in the syracuse oncenter if you want, you just need to creative with packages. many will choose to not travel, some who cant get decent seats now will be able to get in. smaller crowds that are loud are not a bad thing. host a game at cornell if they want. you can find places that seat 10K and that would be plenty many times.

Displacing teams for full seasons is extremely undesirable, especially for football, playing an entire season in b buffalo or albany or the moon would set back attendance for years to come, I know we already have an attendance problem, but this would hit at the core of the 20k dihards and result in season tix non renewals, The powers that be need to make this a reburbish job without interrupting bb and fb, I personally am a season ticket holder for 10 years in albany and would give up my tickets if football didn't have a home for a year.

Displacing teams for full seasons is extremely undesirable, especially for football, playing an entire season in b buffalo or albany or the moon would set back attendance for years to come, I know we already have an attendance problem, but this would hit at the core of the 20k dihards and result in season tix non renewals, The powers that be need to make this a reburbish job without interrupting bb and fb, I personally am a season ticket holder for 10 years in albany and would give up my tickets if football didn't have a home for a year.

I certainly wouldn't like it but would definitely understand why and how it's just a temporary pain for a long term gain. It would be a tough hardship with so many of our games having noon starts and being able to actually travel to a site 2 hours or more away all season.

That is silly. So you are unwilling to give up 6 games today for an improvement for the following 20 seasons? And not only help the program become better but also get more fans in the Dome going forward? :crazy:

kcsu said:
take it for what it is worth coming from my dad 82 still pretty dialed in. It will be the dome, hard top, connection to Arch. One lost season

I've been telling people that for awhile BUT, it's either not going to happen now OR, the timeframe is different than is was when I was first told which was losing this coming years football season. The school has already taken donors money for their preferred seating. Not sure they would do that if they had any idea of moving this season.

I've been telling people that for awhile BUT, it's either not going to happen now OR, the timeframe is different than is was when I was first told which was losing this coming years football season. The school has already taken donors money for their preferred seating. Not sure they would do that if they had any idea of moving this season.
No way...it would have to be 2017 (too soon to go from 1st gear to Overdrive in 2 months...BTW they still need two games in 2017..SU could play a few more away games against beatable G5 teams in 2017...that would pay dividends with more home games in the out years.

It would also give them a whole year to prep and tweak the plan. They could even start some preliminary work this year.

TexanMark said:
No way...it would have to be 2017 (too soon to go from 1st gear to Overdrive in 2 months...BTW they still need two games in 2017..SU could play a few more away games against beatable G5 teams in 2017...that would pay dividends with more home games in the out years. It would also give them a whole year to prep and tweak the plan. They could even start some preliminary work this year.

That's what I said. Can't happen now but originally it was but that's when the announcement was coming last fall.

I guarantee a new stadium will generate new season ticket renewals, at least for the first year. New stadiums always generate excitement.

"Aging building." "Archaic." "Lack of game day atmosphere." These are a few of the descriptives that Carlson has used in his stories that past two days about the Dome. Throw in "dingy," "shabby" and "crumbling" and you've pretty much got the narrative that opposing coaches, the media and sad sack residents of Syr.com have been pushing during our past decade of discontent.

I'm an alum. Probably for those reasons I prefer an on-campus presence. My personal preference is for a dramatically upgraded fixed-roof structure that is more open to the surrounding campus and views of the city and distant landscape. But if SU decides to build on South Campus or by the Inner Harbor I'll still be happy.

We need to change the narrative 180 degrees and the sooner the better. I hope March 2 produces headlines around the nation -- or at least the ACC -- like the BC announcement has. Dino Babers needs the excitement of a major rehab, along with the excitement his scheme promises to bring to the field, in order to bring Orange football back to the place most of us want it to be.

"Aging building." "Archaic." "Lack of game day atmosphere." These are a few of the descriptives that Carlson has used in his stories that past two days about the Dome. Throw in "dingy," "shabby" and "crumbling" and you've pretty much got the narrative that opposing coaches, the media and sad sack residents of Syr.com have been pushing during our past decade of discontent.

I'm an alum. Probably for those reasons I prefer an on-campus presence. My personal preference is for a dramatically upgraded fixed-roof structure that is more open to the surrounding campus and views of the city and distant landscape. But if SU decides to build on South Campus or by the Inner Harbor I'll still be happy.

We need to change the narrative 180 degrees and the sooner the better. I hope March 2 produces headlines around the nation -- or at least the ACC -- like the BC announcement has. Dino Babers needs the excitement of a major rehab, along with the excitement his scheme promises to bring to the field, in order to bring Orange football back to the place most of us want it to be.

Sorry what did BC announce? I missed that...

Last edited:

Those may be terms that opposing coaches and local media use. But our coaches, and much of the fan base, look at the dome in a more positive manner. We should not overreact to declarations by those who hope for our athletic programs to fail (not referring to the PS).

I agree that the building needs an upgrade. But the whole competitive atmosphere will improve immensely when the FB team puts a winning, exciting product on the field, and the BB team gets back to Top 10 status (and 28K this past weekend is nothing to sneeze at).

I must have missed the March 2nd date. Is there some type of announcement that day?

CuseDude said:
I must have missed the March 2nd date. Is there some type of announcement that day?

Yes but I'm not sure it's about the Dome but instead about other campus renovations. But we can hope.

I completely disagree with this. Diehards aren't going anywhere and you get a lot more interest with a revamped stadium. A year away would/is going to suck but it is definitely worth it and could make for some fun road trips. I'd love to see the fb team play at Cornell for a Colgate-style opponent or head out to buffalo for a big acc game.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
FbBarbie

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom