Donahue Retiring; Set to Remain with Program in Volunteer Role | Page 2 | Syracusefan.com

Donahue Retiring; Set to Remain with Program in Volunteer Role

I 100% do not want Ryan Powell to do this. Correct me if I'm wrong, but he has zero coaching experience outside of some unknown (and most likely low) level of involvement as an assistant of some kind for Cuse. Has he done anything legit at the D1 level? Donahue wasn't the equipment manager he was the main assistant coach. We can't just hire a legacy here because he was an incredible lacrosse player for us. Youth is fine but we can't value youth over experience. I would love if we hired a high level assistant coach from another top university who could get a better salary here. But given the time of the announcement that seems unlikely.

If we really want to win we gotta hire someone from CNY. That's where all these other coaches winning/in contention for championships are from.

with downstate/long island players.

with downstate/long island players.

I would say a diverse variety of areas including both upstate and downstate NY is more accurate, but glad you agree about Powell, which is the more important matter up for debate.

Seems like they get the best of both worlds. Donahue still gets to give input from the sideline and they can hire some new blood to help shake things up.

I 100% do not want Ryan Powell to do this. Correct me if I'm wrong, but he has zero coaching experience outside of some unknown (and most likely low) level of involvement as an assistant of some kind for Cuse. Has he done anything legit at the D1 level? Donahue wasn't the equipment manager he was the main assistant coach. We can't just hire a legacy here because he was an incredible lacrosse player for us. Youth is fine but we can't value youth over experience. I would love if we hired a high level assistant coach from another top university who could get a better salary here. But given the time of the announcement that seems unlikely.
I think his work with youth programs in Oregon is the extent of it.

Ryan Powell Having A Lasting Impact On Oregon Lacrosse

This is a HUGE loss for the program, and is going to have a far greater impact on the program than some think. He consistently carried the load up there, running the offense, fogos, goalies, and the EMO. He was mostly responsible for some of the outstanding player development that we have experienced in the past, and was one of, if not the greatest minds in all of the sport. Glad to still have him around, and this next hire is going to be absolutely crucial to the future of this program

This is a HUGE loss for the program, and is going to have a far greater impact on the program than some think. He consistently carried the load up there, running the offense, fogos, goalies, and the EMO. He was mostly responsible for some of the outstanding player development that we have experienced in the past, and was one of, if not the greatest minds in all of the sport. Glad to still have him around, and this next hire is going to be absolutely crucial to the future of this program

Yup definitely a bigger loss then the causal fan will realize. Donahue in the last 5 years or so kept up a top end offense despite having issues at attack, lack of depth at middie etc. Good news is that he is staying around but from a day to day standpoint and offensive planning this is certainly a pretty big loss. Hoping the new O hire will assist in the recruiting aspect where we could use some new blood.

Thanks for the info. Even that level of experience is more than I thought he had. Good to see that he at least has some level work ethic and organization to take on a leadership role like that.
His program still runs teams, events and tournaments.
Home

Very well said. I think some of us forget just how involved he is in all aspects of the team. Also in this era of coaches moving around all the time, I think we forget just how lucky we've been to have a loyal group of coaches. Donahue would have made for a very good head coach somewhere else but he took less accolades to be a part of SU. It's easy to complain about the last 10 years, but the team still has some good accomplishments and a lot of very exciting and entertaining games.

I do have a lot of questions - the timing does seem odd. Jeremy very well might be right, they could just promote Ryan Powell and be done with it, but why not announce that now? Maybe they don't want to over shadow Donahue? Fall Ball starts soon, whatever coach they do hire you'd think they would really want that time to implement their system. How hard would it be to hire someone else at this point? If they are a current college coach, they'd be leaving their team at an awkward moment.

Also what happens to Scarmazino? Is there a limit to how many coaches you can have on a sideline? Donahue would make for three volunteer coaches, is that allowed?

If they really are going to complete a nation wide search, who are some legitimate candidates? I'm not an expert at knowing the up and coming assistants out there. I don't think they have to have Syracuse connections necessarily. Agree that someone with a recruiting background should be strongly considered. Some ideas off the top of my head -

Liam Banks - Atlanta Blaze, LB3 Club
John Zulberti - LB3 Club
Matt Abbott - Not actually sure where he's coaching
Mike Abbott - Penn assistant
Roy Colsey - Ridgefield HS

Two things

Glad to see that many realize how integral Coach Donahue has been to this program and hope that he will continue to help and support others as much as possible. He could have been HC elsewhere so I pray that this was his call because loyalty should not be betrayed.

Good to see Jeremy Cuse is still alive as he's been MIA on lax board

It was time for a shakeup. If it winds up being Powell, he has a great lacrosse mind. We’ll see.

Very well said. I think some of us forget just how involved he is in all aspects of the team. Also in this era of coaches moving around all the time, I think we forget just how lucky we've been to have a loyal group of coaches. Donahue would have made for a very good head coach somewhere else but he took less accolades to be a part of SU. It's easy to complain about the last 10 years, but the team still has some good accomplishments and a lot of very exciting and entertaining games.

I do have a lot of questions - the timing does seem odd. Jeremy very well might be right, they could just promote Ryan Powell and be done with it, but why not announce that now? Maybe they don't want to over shadow Donahue? Fall Ball starts soon, whatever coach they do hire you'd think they would really want that time to implement their system. How hard would it be to hire someone else at this point? If they are a current college coach, they'd be leaving their team at an awkward moment.

Also what happens to Scarmazino? Is there a limit to how many coaches you can have on a sideline? Donahue would make for three volunteer coaches, is that allowed?

If they really are going to complete a nation wide search, who are some legitimate candidates? I'm not an expert at knowing the up and coming assistants out there. I don't think they have to have Syracuse connections necessarily. Agree that someone with a recruiting background should be strongly considered. Some ideas off the top of my head -

Liam Banks - Atlanta Blaze, LB3 Club
John Zulberti - LB3 Club
Matt Abbott - Not actually sure where he's coaching
Mike Abbott - Penn assistant
Roy Colsey - Ridgefield HS

Mike Abbott would be a cool guy to pick up. Certainly is doing something right at Penn.

Agree with Chris. With all due respect, seems like Ryan would be a risky hire.

Ryan Powell has already been an assistant for SU and they won a title with him on the sideline in 2004 he is excellent at player development has connections all over this country and Canada with his Rhino Camps. He is EXACTLY what this program needs

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Marz44

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom