Donahue Retiring; Set to Remain with Program in Volunteer Role | Page 5 | Syracusefan.com

Donahue Retiring; Set to Remain with Program in Volunteer Role

Some bizarre names on that list. Your looking for a big time recruiter and a high end offensive mind and you want a guy from Army or Gtown, um ya. Also pass on March, the entire Princeton offense is Sowers and they can barely finish above. 500. Donahue or Manny seem like the best fits going off of that article alone. Schneider is an interesting name but I don't know how that would work pulling him from his alma mater.

Remember, this is only Jasz' take.

And he likes Wawa. :)

Wonder if this is an opportunity to hire an assistant with the understanding that the person will be the head coach in waiting. Say Desko has the rains another 3 years and the new assistant takes over.

I think a godfather type offer like that might get an offensive mind like Sean Kirwan to consider leaving UVa if he has head coach aspirations. My guess is that Lars Tiffany will run the show in Cville for at least ten more years he has some levage with the national title and Virginia gave Starsia a nice tenure. Kirwan is young and has northeast roots from his time at both playing and coaching at Tufts. Coaching at Brown with Tiffany. He grew up in New Jersey. He may have D1 head coach offers in the meantime if he remains in Virginia but the allure of running his offense in a controlled environment might be very appealing. He could also have the advantage of helping to build his eventual team through recruiting.

Plus tutelage from Desko might broaden his mind and provide a new perspecrtive. Personally, I believe Desko's skills are in coaching not recruiting. I know that Syracuse failed in basketball with Mike Hopkins in a similar situation and Wildhack might not want to go down that road again.

As for the other top names on the list from the article:

Kip Turner went to UVa and who knows if when Tiffany decides to leave he might have the upper hand in the Cavaliers search. J.L. Reppert has such ties to Maryland both as a player at Navy and coaching with Tilman...seems unlikely to me that he would make the move to Syracuse.

Wonder if this is an opportunity to hire an assistant with the understanding that the person will be the head coach in waiting. Say Desko has the rains another 3 years and the new assistant takes over.

I think a godfather type offer like that might get an offensive mind like Sean Kirwan to consider leaving UVa if he has head coach aspirations. My guess is that Lars Tiffany will run the show in Cville for at least ten more years he has some levage with the national title and Virginia gave Starsia a nice tenure. Kirwan is young and has northeast roots from his time at both playing and coaching at Tufts. Coaching at Brown with Tiffany. He grew up in New Jersey. He may have D1 head coach offers in the meantime if he remains in Virginia but the allure of running his offense in a controlled environment might be very appealing. He could also have the advantage of helping to build his eventual team through recruiting.

Plus tutelage from Desko might broaden his mind and provide a new perspecrtive. Personally, I believe Desko's skills are in coaching not recruiting. I know that Syracuse failed in basketball with Mike Hopkins in a similar situation and Wildhack might not want to go down that road again.

As for the other top names on the list from the article:

Kip Turner went to UVa and who knows if when Tiffany decides to leave he might have the upper hand in the Cavaliers search. J.L. Reppert has such ties to Maryland both as a player at Navy and coaching with Tilman...seems unlikely to me that he would make the move to Syracuse.
I thought Galloway was the HC in waiting?

Looking at Chris' list, there are some impressive names. I think my first choice would be Mike Abbott, the Penn offensive last year was very impressive, and he has ties to the program given his brother played for the Orange. His work at Colgate I don't feel is overly impressive, and I don't know anything about his recruiting prowess, but looking at all the candidates I think he would be the most exciting choice.

Chris makes a good argument for Kyle Georgalas - he has experience coaching all over the field (something that Donahue has), and has ties to upstate New York. Of course the Army offense has never really been overly productive on offense so it might not be the right fit.

Scheinder and Kirwan seem unlikely to move - Kirwan would seem to be making a lateral move and I doubt we could get a UMass grad to leave UMass for a job that would not be a promotion. Also, count me as one who would be against naming someone a coach in waiting, so much can change from year to year and it almost never works out.

Now, if Desko found the next Kirwan, a DIII coach doing something innovative and exciting at a lower level that could work on the D-I landscape, then that could be someone they should go after. Amherst, RIT and St Johns Fisher were three high scoring teams in DIII last year that were relatively local to SU. This was a very rudimentary investigation, but could be worth an interview.

Have heard the arguments for Will Manny from Carc and Chris, but I don't know if I buy it. He doesn't have a lot of experience, and not sure exactly what recruiting contacts he has. I know it would be considered "cool" to have a professional player on the staff, and the staff could certainly use some youth, but I don't think those should be the main selling points of an assistant. Again you are taking a leap of faith with the position, but Manny seems like a big risk.

Two things

Glad to see that many realize how integral Coach Donahue has been to this program and hope that he will continue to help and support others as much as possible. He could have been HC elsewhere so I pray that this was his call because loyalty should not be betrayed.

Good to see Jeremy Cuse is still alive as he's been MIA on lax board

Sorry I still check in daily but with football season being imminent my attention has been pulled in that direction especially with all the moving parts this season (new starting QB, McKinley being hurt opening at Liberty etc). Once we get a read on the new OC I will try and put up a post with some 2019 fall ball thoughts.

“I don’t have any preconceived ideas. We’ll see as the applicants come in if they have more of an offensive or defensive (background),” Desko said Friday afternoon.

Maybe its just hyperbole but does no one else find it odd that this is a position people are "applying" for? Good grief, this is still a lacrosse dynasty job and we're waiting for the want ads to lure in our diamond in the rough...

Maybe its just hyperbole but does no one else find it odd that this is a position people are "applying" for? Good grief, this is still a lacrosse dynasty job and we're waiting for the want ads to lure in our diamond in the rough...

Not sure what SU Athletics policy is, but many athletic departments require staffs to post open positions and receive applications for the position. This doesn't mean that they can't go out and contact somebody if they wanted to. They would just have to apply like everyone else. I would hope that Desko has a list of coaches he wants to bring in for interviews.

Given the timing, and the tone of the article, doesn't seem like a good development. It doesn't seem quite fair to speculate, but maybe he was feeling squeezed out of things? Donahue did a lot for the program. They may have things covered in terms of the offense, but what about goalies and face-offs? Maybe Ryan Powell could do it for a year?

Thought it was strange that he did not just outright retire initially. Probably better that he has decided to completely move away. Always tough to bring in a guy and have the old regime still looking over his shoulder.

Given the timing, and the tone of the article, doesn't seem like a good development. It doesn't seem quite fair to speculate, but maybe he was feeling squeezed out of things? Donahue did a lot for the program. They may have things covered in terms of the offense, but what about goalies and face-offs? Maybe Ryan Powell could do it for a year?

I believe that it was 100% Donahue's decision to partially retire last year after he was told of some changes that would be needed with the program from the top. From what I was told SU was not happy he responded by retiring so this does not surprise me at all.

If his contribution to the program was the birth of Dylan Donahue, that alone would be worthy of some serious praise, but he has accomplished far more than that. I understand the need (and our impatience) for changes, but we can't forget what a legend in the sport the guy is. There have been some incredible teams put together with him as a calm but effective leader. I hope the nature of this transition hasn't been too hard on him and that he enjoys a well earned retirement.

With his departure I'm little concerned about face-offs. Over the years he has developed a number of overachieving FOGOs that came into the program as ordinary recruits.

Tommy Costanza joined the Lakers in the Fall of 2018, after an assistant coaching stint ar Hampden-Sydney College (Va.). Costanza also spent time as an assistant coach at SUNY Geneseo and Wesley College and is currently the Club Director for Sweetlax Lacrosse Club.

deskop!!!!

This is the kind of thinking you love to see. This guy has a direct line into a lot of recruits and their families.

Last edited:
Tommy Costanza joined the Lakers in the Fall of 2018, after an assistant coaching stint ar Hampden-Sydney College (Va.). Costanza also spent time as an assistant coach at SUNY Geneseo and Wesley College and is currently the Club Director for Sweetlax Lacrosse Club.

deskop!!!!

SWEET !!

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jungleman46

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom