Donahue Retiring; Set to Remain with Program in Volunteer Role | Page 4 | Syracusefan.com

Donahue Retiring; Set to Remain with Program in Volunteer Role

WIlbur would not be a good fit. It's an entirely different world comign from OCC to Syracuse. Also I don't think he and Desko are exactly friends so I don't think we have to worry about that. I find it hard to believe SU would hire a HS coach as their OC, makes zero sense.

Would Jamie Archer be a good idea? Local ties, is an SU alum. JD seems to be good almost every year.

“I don’t have any preconceived ideas. We’ll see as the applicants come in if they have more of an offensive or defensive (background),” Desko said Friday afternoon. “Recruiting’s going to be a big piece of it, having someone come in that has good experience recruiting. How about relationships, contacts if you will, throughout the country, will come into play too. We’ve got coaches here that have been on both sides of the ball and will be able to adjust responsibility-wise. Some of it will be determined by the person coming in. I’m not necessarily looking for this defensive guy or this offensive guy.”

“I don’t have any preconceived ideas. We’ll see as the applicants come in if they have more of an offensive or defensive (background),” Desko said Friday afternoon. “Recruiting’s going to be a big piece of it, having someone come in that has good experience recruiting. How about relationships, contacts if you will, throughout the country, will come into play too. We’ve got coaches here that have been on both sides of the ball and will be able to adjust responsibility-wise. Some of it will be determined by the person coming in. I’m not necessarily looking for this defensive guy or this offensive guy.”
Maybe this wasn’t planned? The article seems to imply they are starting from scratch.

Maybe this wasn’t planned? The article seems to imply they are starting from scratch.
If I had to guess, I would say it wasn’t. Throughout the season and early recruiting period (June), there had been rumblings of frustration coming from Donahue. This could have ended up being the result after more time to think

So...when someone steps down to spend more time with the family but to “pursue other interests”, the paranoid marketing person me thinks he was pushed versus jumping.

Am I way off?

Happy to be totally wrong. The wording is not typical of someone truly retiring.

Yesterday I was confident that all of this was planned, but after doing some more digging with contacts involved in the program (but not willing to share details) ...suggested that “there were issues” ..”lack of alignment .”...perhaps “finger pointing” on both sides ..Donahue may have been squeezed out or wanted out for any number Of reasons ...argument for either scenario ..

Yesterday I was confident that all of this was planned, but after doing some more digging with contacts involved in the program (but not willing to share details) ...suggested that “there were issues” ..”lack of alignment .”...perhaps “finger pointing” on both sides ..Donahue may have been squeezed out or wanted out for any number Of reasons ...argument for either scenario ..

Certainly possible, pressure has been building the last few seasons bases on the lack of post season success and uneven recruiting. I know there was some discussion about shaking things up a bit.

I have been big on Rodgers being the one that needs to leave but I’m okay with this because we needed something to change in regards to recruiting offensive players. I think we could all agree that Desko can coach he just can’t ( or won’t) recruit.

IMO If Desko surrounds himself with great recruiters he can focus on coaching and just be there at the end when his assistants tell him you need to call this player or this player is coming to campus this weekend. I would prefer he just wasn’t so lazy recruiting but hey he joined Twitter right....:confused:

Perhaps naive question and train of thought but why wouldn't Dylan Donahue be a viable candidate ? Put aside any issue of nepotism, he has his own resume and enough qualifications to be a legit consideration just as Tim Desko does. No one at Duke is raising the issue with Danowski having his son as assistant coach.

Dylan checks off several boxes , a known local, an accomplished and respected Cuse player who maxed out abilities , a recognizable name, youthful energy and right personality to not only recruit but coach todays's college player . He is involved and has ties and connections with his training facility, sports center and has coaching experience with his club and as asst coach at OCC.
He's obviously well versed with Cuse offensive approach and ways and may also bring some fresh ideas. May be lacking extensive coaching experience but he's a coach's son who not only has benefitted from the knowledge and wisdom imparted but also would have the advantage of having his Dad and Desko on the sidelines assisting his growth. What a better way to have KD stay involved than seeing the baton passed to a loved one who can do the job.

For all I know , Dylan may have no interest given his ventures but he has made the time to be an assistant t coach at OCC so he might be .

Hope he applies for consideration.

Would Nat St. Laurent be an option? This guy is on the fast track though I’m not sure Syracuse assistant is greater than HC of D3 program (in terms of money). He’s a Carthage native and Keuka College grad who’s currently the head Coach of newbie D3 program Ohio Northern. He’s also the head guy for the PLL Redwoods team. In his 4 years at upstart Ohio Northern he’s 44-22.

I’ve seen the guy in person at ONU and he has that ‘it’ factor. Highly intelligent super personable. I suspect he’s a short timer at ONU at this point.

Another reason this search is so important, whoever they pick will probably have first shot at the head job when Desko retires. Gotta get it right.

Really would love to know all of the coaches that have applied for the job so far. Just 'cause im nosey lol.

Perhaps naive question and train of thought but why wouldn't Dylan Donahue be a viable candidate ? Put aside any issue of nepotism, he has his own resume and enough qualifications to be a legit consideration just as Tim Desko does. No one at Duke is raising the issue with Danowski having his son as assistant coach.

Dylan checks off several boxes , a known local, an accomplished and respected Cuse player who maxed out abilities , a recognizable name, youthful energy and right personality to not only recruit but coach todays's college player . He is involved and has ties and connections with his training facility, sports center and has coaching experience with his club and as asst coach at OCC.
He's obviously well versed with Cuse offensive approach and ways and may also bring some fresh ideas. May be lacking extensive coaching experience but he's a coach's son who not only has benefitted from the knowledge and wisdom imparted but also would have the advantage of having his Dad and Desko on the sidelines assisting his growth. What a better way to have KD stay involved than seeing the baton passed to a loved one who can do the job.

For all I know , Dylan may have no interest given his ventures but he has made the time to be an assistant t coach at OCC so he might be .

Hope he applies for consideration.

I have asked about that but Dylan I was told ...would not want to and would not be a good recruiter(man of few words like dad). I did hear Wilbur was asked last year and recently to apply . Thats a name to look out for. I also hear Beardsley has applied.

I have asked about that but Dylan I was told ...would not want to and would not be a good recruiter(man of few words like dad). I did hear Wilbur was asked last year and recently to apply . Thats a name to look out for. I also hear Beardsley has applied.
Thats what I said the other day. If it were my choice, id hire Wilbur. So I hope what you said was true and that he has applied. Now, idk if there is bad blood between Wilbur and Desko but that nonsense needs to be pushed aside because IMO a Desko x Wilbur combo could make for a recipe for success. I know some were saying D1 is in a different wheelhouse than JUCO. But, If you can coach, you can coach. And that coaching ability doesn't just diminish at a higher level. If he can have as much success at HCC and OCC then I believe he could have that much success at any other school he coached at-- whether thats D3, D2, or D1. Especially since he would have Desko, Rogers, Donahue and Scaramuzzino to collaborate with. Idk, call me a crackhead but we all can have a pipe dream right? :p

Thats what I said the other day. If it were my choice, id hire Wilbur. So I hope what you said was true and that he has applied. Now, idk if there is bad blood between Wilbur and Desko but that nonsense needs to be pushed aside because IMO a Desko x Wilbur combo could make for a recipe for success. I know some were saying D1 is in a different wheelhouse than JUCO. But, If you can coach, you can coach. And that coaching ability doesn't just diminish at a higher level. If he can have as much success at HCC and OCC then I believe he could have that much success at any other school he coached at-- whether thats D3, D2, or D1. Especially since he would have Desko, Rogers, Donahue and Scaramuzzino to collaborate with. Idk, call me a crackhead but we all can have a pipe dream right? :p

Bad blood ? They have worked together for many of kids over the years . The rumor started last year when Wilbur was inducted into hall of fame and there were several pictures of him and Desko chatting. Syracuse player told me the same recently. Donahue and Desko have pursued him . It sounds like a recruiting position that they are trying to fill ...my guess its going to be a young coach with a big name as a player .

Bad blood ? They have worked together for many of kids over the years . The rumor started last year when Wilbur was inducted into hall of fame and there were several pictures of him and Desko chatting. Syracuse player told me the same recently.

That rumor has been around for at least 5 years.

Some bizarre names on that list. Your looking for a big time recruiter and a high end offensive mind and you want a guy from Army or Gtown, um ya. Also pass on March, the entire Princeton offense is Sowers and they can barely finish above. 500. Donahue or Manny seem like the best fits going off of that article alone. Schneider is an interesting name but I don't know how that would work pulling him from his alma mater.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Marz44

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom