Doug Marrone | Page 4 | Syracusefan.com

Doug Marrone

Ok hear me out. Why wouldn’t we go all in on the only coach to have success here over the last 30 years ? The time will never be more right. As much as he apparently dislikes recruiting he is back in college. He has scratched the NFL itch and was good enough to be coveted by several NFL franchises. We have the facilities he didn’t get when he was here first. We have the ACC affiliation. As much as people say he didn’t like recruiting he recruited better than both Shafer and Babers with awful facilities and Big East affiliation. Marrone consistently developed players, something neither of the 2 following regimes have managed to do. This is a loss that you absolutely can’t have. Things have got worse. Name 1 offensive player Babers has developed offensively that he recruited other than Taj. After this game I am done with Babers and want to see Wildhack at very least make an effort to bring Marrone home.
Fine with me.

Last edited:
Fine with me I’m at
There has to be someone on this board who knows someone who knew Marrone and has a feel for if this is remotely possible. My guess is this isn't Schiano 2.0 b/c Schiano had the stench of Penn St and was out of options once Clay Travis did him dirty in Tennessee. Doug seems to be well connected in the NFL circles. He has legit options in the coordinator carousel.

I thought Marrone's wife was from the south or something and had a hankering for being down there. I'm sure Doug has plenty of coin now from 2 NFL HC jobs so he may be interested in lifestyle over a Syracuse redux project. This may be a harder build than the first time because of the ACC factor and the lack of excuses.

See that's why the narrative is bunk. People just say it now without even knowing. He's at Alabama as OL coach. You better believe he is out recruiting
He's in contact with the best recruiting networks in college football for offensive linemen. They would send him some guys no matter where he coaches because of his NFL experience and reputation of developing linemen to the NFL level.

let me try. First, his big years were winning 6 or 7 game sin the old Big East. Second, he also didn't bring in any QB's that could play. I will pass on Marrone. I hope we get someone young that can build this thing and wants to recruit.
Big pass.

He is gonna cost a lot to get, Doug won't come cheap and he may have offers from schools with larger budgets after this year as well. Not sure the "allure" of going back to Syracuse would entice him.

His name should be on the list though and there should be a meeting.

I also think these names should be contacted

Jim McElwain (Central Michigan)
Mike Elko (Tex A&M DC) (from NJ, coached at WF and ND so knows the ACC)
Brian Johnson (Eagles QB coach) had HUGE success in college at Utah, Houston, and Florida
Jay Norvell (Nevada)

He is gonna cost a lot to get, Doug won't come cheap and he may have offers from schools with larger budgets after this year as well. Not sure the "allure" of going back to Syracuse would entice him.

His name should be on the list though and there should be a meeting.

I also think these names should be contacted

Jim McElwain (Central Michigan)
Mike Elko (Tex A&M DC) (from NJ, coached at WF and ND so knows the ACC)
Brian Johnson (Eagles QB coach) had HUGE success in college at Utah, Houston, and Florida
Jay Norvell (Nevada)

I think they gotta unpack what's happening at Pitt/BC and figure out if it can be replicated at Syracuse. Those aren't programs knocking the cover off the ball at all but they seem to not have these massive cavernous drops for years at a time like Syracuse.

BC is going to throttle us this year. Losing to Rutgers is really bad. Losing to BC will be worse b/c they have firepower.

let me try. First, his big years were winning 6 or 7 game sin the old Big East. Second, he also didn't bring in any QB's that could play. I will pass on Marrone. I hope we get someone young that can build this thing and wants to recruit.

Thank you. I can’t believe how many SU fans would want Marrone back

dude dumped us at the prom . honestly where's your dignity ? he can rot in hell. "my dream job" . lie.

Thank you. I can’t believe how many SU fans would want Marrone back
I don’t think Marrone is coming back but I don’t know why people wouldn’t want him back.

At least we were respectable with him. He would always seem to have a good game plan. And since he was here he’s been a NFL HC. Kids want to play for someone that has played and coached in the NFL. I think recruiting would be better because of that

One other thing...someone more familiar than I could confirm but getting rid of Dino now would cost Syracuse more than a few dollars. They are not going big bucks I am guessing on the next coach if that happens. Be ready for a young guy...giving him a shot.

I think they gotta unpack what's happening at Pitt/BC and figure out if it can be replicated at Syracuse. Those aren't programs knocking the cover off the ball at all but they seem to not have these massive cavernous drops for years at a time like Syracuse.

BC is going to throttle us this year. Losing to Rutgers is really bad. Losing to BC will be worse b/c they have firepower.
Its the coach. I along with so many others have wanted to believe in him. Believe that the magical year was his doing.
The Maryland game was my Dino awakening game. We were as unprepared and poorly coached as any SU team. It was a pathetic effort. Epic in failure and nothing has gotten better since that game.
Dino is what he is. A good guy who runs a good program other than the coaching aspect. Everything else is ok. Kids are solid no real issues guy gives good press. Hes super charming but hes not a very good coach. He is done. I doubt he will ever be a Head coach again unless he gets a gig like Hawaii ( im serious) where his personality and previous successes get him hired.
Hes not a position coach and certainly isnt going to hired as a coordinator.
Dino won the lottery at Cuse and we crapped out.
Its over.

I don’t think Marrone is coming back but I don’t know why people wouldn’t want him back.

At least we were respectable with him. He would always seem to have a good game plan. And since he was here he’s been a NFL HC. Kids want to play for someone that has played and coached in the NFL. I think recruiting would be better because of that

I think the whole good game plan thing is revisionist. We had a handful of poorly coached games under Marrone. And he’s a meathead and a quitter.

I’d rather get an up and coming guy who can coach offense.

i don't really care if my bus driver is a nice guy. i want to know that i'm going to arrive alive and not be driven into some lake. sure nice chatty fun drivers are great. makes for a good story. but only when they get you to your destination safely . let's as a university define once and for all what that destination is . and are we on schedule ?

To me not a ton of difference between Marrone and Addazio, and Addazio doesn’t have the black mark of having walked away.

I think the whole good game plan thing is revisionist. We had a handful of poorly coached games under Marrone. And he’s a meathead and a quitter.

I’d rather get an up and coming guy who can coach offense.
I don’t think he’s coming back so it probably doesn’t matter but Marrone could always answer why he did things and most of the time it made sense. Dino was an up and coming offensive genius but has made some real head scratching decisions

It’s weird because I was always anti-meathead too but maybe Dino has me rethinking that…

Hofchuck mentioned the Dazzler. He’s a meathead but I’d take him at this point too

To me not a ton of difference between Marrone and Addazio, and Addazio doesn’t have the black mark of having walked away.
Not my place to pick a future coach, I just know I am done with expectations for Dino.

Reactions: FAL
Marrone's plan was to right the ship and then leave for the NFL. He left that page out of the binder. I wouldn't trust that he wouldn't do the same again. That being said you know he can coach. I also would worry about his recruiting. The QBs and WRs he brought in were severally lacking. I think he would be a 6-6 (3-5) type of HC but I'll take that any day.

30 years? How about P? Marrone is the only one with success in the last 17. That’s a big difference.
That said, yes in a heartbeat.

So unless I am mistaken, Marrone hates all aspects of recruiting. I have no interest in a guy who doesn't want to recruit...at all. Also...rule of thumb...never bring a former head coach back. I get wanting to but zero interest.
It’s easier to do, of course, but he has to recruit at Alabama

It’s easier to do, of course, but he has to recruit at Alabama
True but recruiting for Bama is kinda like calling a kid and saying “hey young man would you like to play for Alabama? Yes coach Marrone, where do I sign?” Recruiting over. 007 shared in another thread that there was more to it for Marrone than just disliking recruiting , so if that is the case thats fine. That still doesn’t change my perspective that you don’t rehire a former HC.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Sdot

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom