Doug Marrone | Page 2 | Syracusefan.com

Doug Marrone

Status
Not open for further replies.
200w.gif

He was allowed or even encouraged to quit. When your managing somebody who is doing a good job for you, you tell them that you are going to do everything you can to get what they are asking for.

Stop spreading fake news.

Marrone had one job to do in Alabama and they arguably were the weakest link on that team despite nfl talent this year. He also bailed on his dream job - pass

So what is the story w Marrone?

You tell us what it isn’t what is the situation and why is he nuclear option for the university.
Marrone left because he was promised stuff. That Dr. Gross couldn’t deliver.
The breaking point I have heard was when we couldn’t get Brandon Coleman in recruiting.
The facilities needed upgrades this was pre-IDF. We couldn’t get him in recruiting and Marrone was pissed at promises he was made for recruiting.

Gross under-delivered and he was trying to keep his job. He was being audited because spending was out of control in the AD.

Marrone didn’t like Gross for stringing him along. He told Gross via his agent he was going to pursue NFL job.
This is during the 2012 season.
Gross knew Marrone could leave.

Marrone wasn’t happy the facilities sucked and when he got offered the NFL job he took it.

Gross then screwed up hiring Shafer and we sucked.

Marrone couldn’t recruit at Syracuse with the subpar facilities and left.

Marrone supported Coyle I don’t know about Wildhack but he isn’t persona non grata I just don’t think he would want to comeback.

Marrone left because he was promised stuff. That Dr. Gross couldn’t deliver.
The breaking point I have heard was when we couldn’t get Brandon Coleman in recruiting.
The facilities needed upgrades this was pre-IDF. We couldn’t get him in recruiting and Marrone was pissed at promises he was made for recruiting.

Gross under-delivered and he was trying to keep his job. He was being audited because spending was out of control in the AD.

Marrone didn’t like Gross for stringing him along. He told Gross via his agent he was going to pursue NFL job.
This is during the 2012 season.
Gross knew Marrone could leave.

Marrone wasn’t happy the facilities sucked and when he got offered the NFL job he took it.

Gross then screwed up hiring Shafer and we sucked.

Marrone couldn’t recruit at Syracuse with the subpar facilities and left.

Marrone supported Coyle I don’t know about Wildhack but he isn’t persona non grata I just don’t think he would want to comeback.
Now your making my argument? Look, if Marrone were to come back the average fans across central New york and beyond would be very supportive, they think he was a real coach who can do the job. They would re-engage and support the program, the program desperately needs these people to grow and succeed. The ACC desperately needs Syracuse football to get back to being a minor power program. If Syracuse was where PITT is now, it would be huge for the ACC. PITT and BC do very little even if they're having big seasons, Syracuse's ceiling is much higher.

He was allowed or even encouraged to quit. When your managing somebody who is doing a good job for you, you tell them that you are going to do everything you can to get what they are asking for.
“He was allowed to quit.”

Amazing.

Doug wasn't supported because he was telling people the facts of the matter of what Syracuse had to do ASAP if they hoped to compete at the P5 level. He was probably too frank about the situation and it chaffed some people's butts. Should they have listened to him, absolutely.
Doug is a quitter. Doug quit on Syracuse and took all the coaches with him and then quit on the Bills overplaying his hand and thinking he had the Jets job in the bag. Doug failed at Jacksonville. No thanks.

Doug is a quitter. Doug quit on Syracuse and took all the coaches with him and then quit on the Bills overplaying his hand and thinking he had the Jets job in the bag. Doug failed at Jacksonville. No thanks.

I'll take a few bowl appearances and the quitter moniker vs the loyalty no bowl guy.

Is Rick Pitino a quitter too? John Calipari? I mean guys in demand who like to move around will leverage any situation for a better one. At some point they realize the situation they have is ok and stick around. Marrone was smart to leave if he got paid life altering money because of it.

Doug is the o-line coach at Alabama and knows every recruiting guy down there. They would send some recruits his way.

The last 3 coaches at Syracuse were managed the way they were because of their personality, not their actual coaching ability. Syracuse is not going to due whatever it takes to win.
Don't agree with this post.

I'll take a few bowl appearances and the quitter moniker vs the loyalty no bowl guy.

Is Rick Pitino a quitter too? John Calipari? I mean guys in demand who like to move around will leverage any situation for a better one. At some point they realize the situation they have is ok and stick around. Marrone was smart to leave if he got paid life altering money because of it.
The problem is that he didnt exactly light the world on fire or Big East when he was coaching here. I believe he finished his career at SU around .500 winning percentage and well below .500 in the NFL. Not exactly someone who you can easily sell to a battered fanbase.

Don't agree with this post.
I trust John Wildhack to right this ship. I think people need to realize the rebuild has softly begun again. It may involve Dino, ,it may not but John is positioning Syracuse to rebuild (once again)

Hard pass. Coaching rehires fail more often than not. I liked Marrone and thought he was a solid head coach for us, but that was a different time. We’re not in the Big East anymore, the ACC is a different animal. If we’re going to rebuild again, we better bring in some new blood, and most importantly, we need an above average recruiter who has strong ties to the NE.
New blood can be risky.

Doug Marrone is a very good football coach.

If he wanted to come back I would have no problem with that.

The problem is that he didnt exactly light the world on fire or Big East when he was coaching here. I believe he finished his career at SU around .500 winning percentage and well below .500 in the NFL. Not exactly someone who you can easily sell to a battered fanbase.
That's a fair point but I think he changed the perception of SU Football back to where it was in the early 2000s (unfair to say 80s/90s). The program was heading upward and NFL evaluators saw it. They don't blindly hire coaches with 500 records unless there is something brewing.

Bill Belichick didn't have a sterling record with the Browns but the Patriots were intrepid enough to see the work he did as an asst and what he learned as HC to realize there is some gold behind the record. We may have something with JW looking at Dino much more holistically than our review of his W/L. I doubt JW will make a decision without consulting with NFL guys, other college guys, etc.

I'm HOPING we lean on our past to see what worked. I was mocked for mentioning Pasqualoni but the school needs to gleam what worked in that period to rebuild it now. Not sure why we have such PTSD about the mere mention of Paul. Of course diff era but the fundamentals of football remain the same. Build a sustainable program with players that can play in said program. This isn't hard if you look at it from a higher point

If DM could bring some "3rd string" BAMA OL guys up north with him that would be a huge upgrade. FYI those 3rd stringers are probably 5* guys.

Well to be fair he took a program that was in the worst shape ever and made it respectful by the last season. This in spite of the fact that he worked for two Numb nutz in cantor and gross. Had crap facilities and zero support. To me he has probably done the best coaching job since coach Mac in rebuilding the program.

I trust John Wildhack to right this ship. I think people need to realize the rebuild has softly begun again. It may involve Dino, ,it may not but John is positioning Syracuse to rebuild (once again)
This...

Facilities have been improved and are going to be continued to be expanded and upgraded.
The University is taking on a new persona with the active fundraising aimed at athletics
Completely agree that it is unknown if Dino makes the long-term cut. I suspect he has 1, maybe 2 more years to prove he can turn the program around. Between last season and the current moves HCDB is proving he will make changes at critical positions. The question remains about if those changes were sufficient to retain his job.

I'm in the camp that the university will spend what it needs to spend on a coach at the right time. You don't invest $150M on dome renovations and announce another $150M student-athlete (John Lally) complex if you aren't committed. However, you also don't just throw money at the coaching problem in hopes that it will go away.

The AD hasn't been perfect but he's the captain steering this ship until further notice and he's arguably going to be the guy who made/makes 3 of the most significant coaching decisions (Lax - already happened, Football and Men's Basketball) in recent times.

Wildhack hasn’t done much to give me reason to believe in him.
He did resign Dino when we all wanted it done . So he does get credit for that.

He has botched women’s basketball, women’s softball.
The Dome renovation wasn’t anything he did. The roof had to be replaced. We went with the cheapest route.

This decision to keep Dino is on him. If he don’t go bowling next year Wildhack set the program back a year and the rebuild will take longer.

This...

Facilities have been improved and are going to be continued to be expanded and upgraded.
The University is taking on a new persona with the active fundraising aimed at athletics
Completely agree that it is unknown if Dino makes the long-term cut. I suspect he has 1, maybe 2 more years to prove he can turn the program around. Between last season and the current moves HCDB is proving he will make changes at critical positions. The question remains about if those changes were sufficient to retain his job.

I'm in the camp that the university will spend what it needs to spend on a coach at the right time. You don't invest $150M on dome renovations and announce another $150M student-athlete (John Lally) complex if you aren't committed. However, you also don't just throw money at the coaching problem in hopes that it will go away.

The AD hasn't been perfect but he's the captain steering this ship until further notice and he's arguably going to be the guy who made/makes 3 of the most significant coaching decisions (Lax - already happened, Football and Men's Basketball) in recent times.
What's all this worth if you've lost the fanbase that supports the program.

Reactions: FAL
Wildhack hasn’t done much to give me reason to believe in him.
He did resign Dino when we all wanted it done . So he does get credit for that.

He has botched women’s basketball, women’s softball.
The Dome renovation wasn’t anything he did. The roof had to be replaced. We went with the cheapest route.

This decision to keep Dino is on him. If he don’t go bowling next year Wildhack set the program back a year and the rebuild will take longer.
ADs don't get fired for how they handle Women's hoops and softball. They don't bring in the revenue to support everything. I also don't think he handled either situation awfully either. Both those coaches were jettisoned for being jerks more than anything. They ran toxic programs that lost the script when we got much more sensitive to their tactics. I don't think either coach was a criminal just jerks.

The transition in Lax seems logical and going to be good long term if Gait turns it around and modernizes it.

Football is complicated. I have said it a few times. I'm fine w either decision at this point. I'm more exhausted by the football performance than set in my ways about what they should do. I think Dino isn't a bad guy and i'm sure he's been satisfied by relying on a coach who no one wants to run out of town from within the building. Doesn't make the results better but JW must think there's something there to work with.

At the end of the day, results will catch up with him if they continue to be horrific. I still think JW needs to lean into our past to be successful in our future. We don't do this enough.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
FbBarbie

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom