Doug Marrone | Page 4 | Syracusefan.com

Doug Marrone

Status
Not open for further replies.
Marrone was definitely a better coach than Babers, and for God's sakes, hell yes he was better than that unhinged moron cigar boy. No matter, it's moot. he isn't coming back, he is a nomad, he is never happy anywhere for more than 5 minutes. he will probably go back to the NFL soon and be a position coach or coordinator. for 5 minutes before leaving for another job.

I'll take a few bowl appearances and the quitter moniker vs the loyalty no bowl guy.

Is Rick Pitino a quitter too? John Calipari? I mean guys in demand who like to move around will leverage any situation for a better one. At some point they realize the situation they have is ok and stick around. Marrone was smart to leave if he got paid life altering money because of it.
Don’t forget Saban. Wouldn’t want that quitter.

I just can’t believe the obsession of Doug Marrone here

He did us dirty. He’s old and out dated.

We need a YOUNG coach, someone who is going to do something different and connects with the young kids
6C54AD50-F620-4474-8F2B-B2BD5845E239.jpeg

But why?
Why not? Young, energetic, has coached his side of the team up. Just because Shafer didn’t work out as a continuity D coordinator hire doesn’t mean TW wouldn’t do well. At least give him an audition if/when we start out 2-5 next year!

You want a good team? Have a great staff. It’s really that simple. Have a coach who can hire good assistants and let them do their jobs. Then your job as HC is to rally the troops, shout a little, make some tough game day decisions, and shake hands. Coach Mac had great assistants. Marrone had good assistants. We need to get these hires done right, right now, or it’s clean slate time in 12 months.

What's all this worth if you've lost the fanbase that supports the program.
There is no “lost” fan base right now. That’s a myth. For the last 15 years we have largely ONLY had the regulars and die-hards, and the occasional tire kickers. That’s it. The other folks don’t go to games. They rarely buy SU s#it. What they’re good at is sitting on their ^sses and bitchng and complaining. Some of them post on message boards.

You could go back to the early pages of this iteration of the board, see the reasons why Marrone left that were posted by our great posters that actually have the intel, and yet one poster still tries to spin as a personality issue. Amazing

He left and left guns blazing. Coyle hated Shafer.
Shafer is and was a dolt. I'm glad Coyle jettisoned him. I liked the hire of Dino and the promise he showed the 1st 3 years. Not so much the last 3. JW put the line in the sand today. Bowl or bust. With ND and Purdue on the non-conference sked it will be very difficult. I think the message was clear today. Dino will be gone immediately after loss 7 next year.

You could go back to the early pages of this iteration of the board, see the reasons why Marrone left that were posted by our great posters that actually have the intel, and yet one poster still tries to spin as a personality issue. Amazing
Tells you more about the poster than anything else.

We were in the Big East when he manufactured the career .500 record at SU. He had 2 winning seasons of 8-5 but he also had 2 losing seasons. Didn't Dino just have a 10 win season.

He was 6-10 in his 1st season in Buffalo and was gifted 9-7 in his 2nd season as NE rested everyone in their last meeting. Still had a losing record. As every Bills fan and NFL talking head will tell you now, Doug Marrone quitting the Bills coaching gig was the best thing to ever happen to Buffalo. Enter a very good coach in McDermott.

Ahh the old one play away from the Super bowl in his first season with a good Jacksonville team... Well he followed it up with 12-36 after that.

How many times on 4th and short did Saint Doug punt the ball away in his opponent's territory? Way too many to count.

Maybe Marrone has changed, but I agree I view him and Dino as in the same tier

The problem is that he didnt exactly light the world on fire or Big East when he was coaching here. I believe he finished his career at SU around .500 winning percentage and well below .500 in the NFL. Not exactly someone who you can easily sell to a battered fanbase.
A .500 record at SYR with the mess Gerg left him is an accomplishment.

He kept the good ones, yes, but he did advise many to transfer

How much does playing Clemson as the #1,2 or 3 team in the country every year sway the SoS?

Just asking. I have no idea… is there a way to do SoS without Clemson and see where we land?
Not sure… interesting thought though

Tony Freaking White should be the next coach
Guy had an adequate year as a 1st time P5 DC. May want to pump the brakes on an instant promotion to HC. We finished 68th in scoring defense, so that's not even in the top HALF of college defenses. Probably want to save the promotion if we make it to the top 30 or 40.

Doesn’t Marrone being at Alabama imply he’s looking for a college HC position? I know they pay a lot, but couldn’t he do better in the NFL?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jc824

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom