Doug Marrone | Page 3 | Syracusefan.com

Doug Marrone

Status
Not open for further replies.
I haven’t seen much support of the program lately.
It's been a big downer now for quite a while. The average fans that I know supported the Dino hiring, now they all think he can't do the job. They don't even watch the games on TV anymore.

The problem is that he didnt exactly light the world on fire or Big East when he was coaching here. I believe he finished his career at SU around .500 winning percentage and well below .500 in the NFL. Not exactly someone who you can easily sell to a battered fanbase.
He took over the worst team in D-1 for his first job.

Won 25 games in four seasons. 2.5x more than the guy he replaced.

He had two of four winning seasons since 2004.

Two of four bowl games since 2004

Got the Bills to their first winning season in something like ten years at time he did it.

Got Jacksonville to within six minutes and a horrific call against from the Super Bowl, against NE, at NE.

He’s freaking Bear Bryant compared to the other three guys since P.

Got the Bills to their first winning season in something like ten years at time he did it.

Got Jacksonville to within six minutes and a horrific call against from the Super Bowl, against NE, at NE.

We were in the Big East when he manufactured the career .500 record at SU. He had 2 winning seasons of 8-5 but he also had 2 losing seasons. Didn't Dino just have a 10 win season.

He was 6-10 in his 1st season in Buffalo and was gifted 9-7 in his 2nd season as NE rested everyone in their last meeting. Still had a losing record. As every Bills fan and NFL talking head will tell you now, Doug Marrone quitting the Bills coaching gig was the best thing to ever happen to Buffalo. Enter a very good coach in McDermott.

Ahh the old one play away from the Super bowl in his first season with a good Jacksonville team..... Well he followed it up with 12-36 after that.

How many times on 4th and short did Saint Doug punt the ball away in his opponent's territory? Way too many to count.

We were in the Big East when he manufactured the career .500 record at SU. He had 2 winning seasons of 8-5 but he also had 2 losing seasons. Didn't Dino just have a 10 win season.

He was 6-10 in his 1st season in Buffalo and was gifted 9-7 in his 2nd season as NE rested everyone in their last meeting. Still had a losing record. As every Bills fan and NFL talking head will tell you now, Doug Marrone quitting the Bills coaching gig was the best thing to ever happen to Buffalo. Enter a very good coach in McDermott.

Ahh the old one play away from the Super bowl in his first season with a good Jacksonville team... Well he followed it up with 12-36 after that.

How many times on 4th and short did Saint Doug punt the ball away in his opponent's territory? Way too many to count.
everyone likes to poo poo the big east when Doug did it but the ACC wasn't a murderer's row either.

the middle class of the ACC from 09-12 wasn't anything to write home about

New blood can be risky.

Doug Marrone is a very good football coach.

If he wanted to come back I would have no problem with that.
No thank you. Because of how he left and WHEN he left SU, I don't trust him any farther than I can throw him (which is not at all).

I wish it were written into every future Syracuse HC contract to be gifted with a 2nd year schedule like Marrone was. It bought him time to show his quality, but that year while fun and warm and fuzzy was by far the easiest in modern history.

Shafer and Babers put better products on the field vs much harder schedules and didn’t go bowling or reap any real reward.

“Marrone was a .500 coach, let’s hire him back” vs “Dino has 1 winning season in 6, fire him” … but throw in a bit of context and it gets a bit tighter.

And I agree Marrone is better - but not by some vast margin. That’s make believe.

everyone likes to poo poo the big east when Doug did it but the ACC wasn't a murderer's row either.

the middle class of the ACC from 09-12 wasn't anything to write home about
This is fair - but doesn’t illuminate anything at all. You play who you play - and Doug never played a schedule like Dino’s first two years.

I wish it were written into every future Syracuse HC contract to be gifted with a 2nd year schedule like Marrone was. It bought him time to show his quality, but that year while fun and warm and fuzzy was by far the easiest in modern history.

Shafer and Babers put better products on the field vs much harder schedules and didn’t go bowling or reap any real reward.

“Marrone was a .500 coach, let’s hire him back” vs “Dino has 1 winning season in 6, fire him” … but throw in a bit of context and it gets a bit tighter.

And I agree Marrone is better - but not by some vast margin. That’s make believe.

Marrone did a great job game-planning, and coaching his players up.

But - he hated recruiting then, and surely will be even less fond of it now, a decade older and later.

And lastly, his exit from Syracuse went something like this:

The Simpsons Burn Bridge GIF

He gone.

And he's not walking thru that door.

The last three games of Marrone’s tenure were awesome with wins at Mizzou and Temple and the beat down of WVU in the Pinstripe Bowl. Dude could coach and was on a roll when he left.
And right before that, a lot of people on this board wanted him fired. Everyone forgets that. Those last three games made him a lot of money.

And right before that, a lot of people on this board wanted him fired. Everyone forgets that. Those last three games made him a lot of money.
I don't forget that. He lost 5 straight to end 2011, and then started 2012 4-5. That's a 4-10 stretch, which isn't good, to put it mildly.

I do think that Marrone is a good coach, and demonstrably better than Dino.

This is fair - but doesn’t illuminate anything at all. You play who you play - and Doug never played a schedule like Dino’s first two years.
Agreed and Doug never got the 3 foot putt of a schedule this year was for Syracuse Football. There was a 4 win OOC served on a platter for Dino this year. Not sure any HC in SU history has had that.

Doug was a good coach. He had his ups and downs but he left on a very high note

Not sure if this is a stupid question. However, when people say that they have subpar facilities compared to other P5 schools, what does this all entail?

Does the dome upgrades and recent 150mil project change this? Thanks.

Agreed and Doug never got the 3 foot putt of a schedule this year was for Syracuse Football. There was a 4 win OOC served on a platter for Dino this year. Not sure any HC in SU history has had that.

Doug was a good coach. He had his ups and downs but he left on a very high note
I don't even think 2010 Doug would agree with you

Year/HCTeam 1Team 2Team 3Team 4SoS Overall (including conference)Record
2010 MarroneMaine (FCS)Colgate (FCS)Akron (120th)Washington (42nd)85th out of 1208-5
2021 BabersAlbany (FCS)Ohio (117th)Rutgers (73rd)Liberty (61st)38th out of 1305-7

Against the Top 25
Marrone - 4-5
Babers - 4-15
Shafer - 0-11

The only team that may have been arguably better was 2018.

Not sure if this is a stupid question. However, when people say that they have subpar facilities compared to other P5 schools, what does this all entail?

Does the dome upgrades and recent 150mil project change this? Thanks.

Not really. The recruits are just like the fans. They only play in the Dome 6 times a year. It's not as big of a recruiting lure as some here would like to think. Especially when you consider its half full these days.

We need a new football only building more than anything else. Our current set up is small and doesn't compare to what we are competing against. Meeting rooms are small, locker room is small, and there aren't many bells and whistles that attract kids these days.

Reactions: 007
Against the Top 25
Marrone - 4-5
Babers - 4-15
Shafer - 0-11

The only team that may have been arguably better was 2018.
That's vs the top of the schedule. There's no debate over who had the tougher schedules overall.

HCWinning %SoS (0 is average)
Marrone.5000.54
Shafer.3783.26
Babers.4032.53

Marrone had hard schedules in 2009 and 2012.

2009 we had 10 of 12 games vs BCS teams.
2012 we had 11 of 12 games vs BCS teams.

2016 was hard as USF was a good G5 team. 2017 wasn't anything special. We should have started 3-0 that year and we should have gone at worst 2-2 vs mediocre at best BC, @FSU, Pitt, Wake. Part of that though was no Dungey the last 3 games. But even if he plays our D was so bad it might not have changed anything. That really should have been a Bowl team.

Marrone had hard schedules in 2009 and 2012.

2009 we had 10 of 12 games vs BCS teams.
2012 we had 11 of 12 games vs BCS teams.

2016 was hard as USF was a good G5 team. 2017 wasn't anything special. We should have started 3-0 that year and we should have gone at worst 2-2 vs mediocre at best BC, @FSU, Pitt, Wake. Part of that though was no Dungey the last 3 games. But even if he plays our D was so bad it might not have changed anything. That really should have been a Bowl team.
I agree with you - here's the SoS according to Sports Ref:

HC / YearSoS (0 is avg)
Marrone, 20092.51
Marrone, 20120.81
Babers, 20164.57
Babers, 20175.80

It wasn’t three, it was four, and started with boat racing a 9-0 Teddy Bridgewater Louisville team.

Perfect day on offense. Game plan, play calling, execution

Ahh the old one play away from the Super bowl in his first season with a good Jacksonville team... Well he followed it up with 12-36 after that.

Marrone inherited a completely cratered program badly needing financial investment in a shaky conference stability wise and managed two winning seasons and two bowl wins. And you need to do some homework, simply because we were still in the Big East doesn’t mean we had crappy, weak schedules.

Anyone trying to downplay what he was able to achieve based on what he inherited is nothing more than butthurt because a grown adult accepted a better career opportunity.

I agree with you - here's the SoS according to Sports Ref:

HC / YearSoS (0 is avg)
Marrone, 20092.51
Marrone, 20120.81
Babers, 20164.57
Babers, 20175.80
How much does playing Clemson as the #1,2 or 3 team in the country every year sway the SoS?

Just asking. I have no idea… is there a way to do SoS without Clemson and see where we land?

I just can’t believe the obsession of Doug Marrone here

He did us dirty. He’s old and out dated.

We need a YOUNG coach, someone who is going to do something different and connects with the young kids

I just can’t believe the obsession of Doug Marrone here

He did us dirty. He’s old and out dated.

We need a YOUNG coach, someone who is going to do something different and connects with the young kids
He’s lost everywhere he’s gone. He’s a .500 level coach.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jc824

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom