Doug Marrone | Page 8 | Syracusefan.com

Doug Marrone

Status
Not open for further replies.
m not mad at all. That FCS roster he inherited had some of the best talent in his tenure. Quite frankly moving to the NFL was the next progression ... have no issue with that either. Not sure where I said I was mad at Marrone, please point me to it .
I asked you a question. Didn’t say you said anything. You just seem mad based on your reaction. “he didn't leave the program in a good state. He set them back and he knew the QB situation was bad.” None of that is true. Like I said he was in the process of adding depth when he left but it takes time. He still left enough good players to go 7-6 and 4-4 in the Acc. I really don’t think you know how bad that roster was when he took it over. I was told directly from the coaches that they might have 30 scholarship players on the team. It should have took way longer to field a competitive team. Im not defending him. I stating facts. Rather you like hearing them or not.

Last edited:
I asked you a question. Didn’t say you said anything. You just seem mad based on your reaction. “he didn't leave the program in a good state. He set them back and he knew the QB situation was bad.” None of that is true. Like I said he was in the process of adding depth when he left but it takes time. He still left enough good players to go 7-6 and 4-4 in the Acc. I really don’t think you know how bad that roster was when he took it over. I was told directly from the coaches that they might have 30 scholarship players on the team. It should have took way longer to field a competitive team. I didn’t defend anything. I stated the facts. You just didn’t like hearing it.
You asked “How can you be mad at him for this?” did you not? Hence implying I’m mad, which I’m not. Nassib, Delone Carter and several other key contributors were pre-Marrone. Marrone was handed Nassib and left behind Hunt … that was a trade down hence my take a step forward then a step back comment.

I find that he is an average coach, nothing more nothing less and I find the defense of the job Marrone did here as half accurate (lack of school support) and half ridiculous. Not sure how stating such is expressive anger but hey to each his own.

Well he went from a collegiate HC with a .500 record to a pro coach in Buffalo to head coach in Jax to OLine coach at Bama ... he peaked when he caught lightning in the bottle in Jax. This is what I mean ... why is it so painful to admit he is a mediocre coach? Being the best at SU in the last 20 years is akin to bragging about being the tallest midget ... thank God we can lower the bar to crown Saint Doug.
When you say “mediocre coach” who are you comparing him to? Saban? Bill Belichick? Bill Walsh? Or other SU coaches?

Marrone always had a game plan, would make halftime adjustments and could manage the game. Just going into happy valley with and being respectable with only like 30 players shows that. No one is saying build him a statue but I doubt Saban and the NFL hire just mediocre coaches and pay them $3 mill

Do you think Dino is going to get poached by the NFL?

Maybe we should see how it works out for ND, as happy as they all seem with the decision right now.

He hasn't coached a game. Could be the next Bob Davie.
Agreed

Hell of a recruiter, but I think they get worked game 1, and it's a tough slog from there.

I also think we beat them.

You asked “How can you be mad at him for this?” did you not? Hence implying I’m mad, which I’m not. Nassib, Delone Carter and several other key contributors were pre-Marrone. Marrone was handed Nassib and left behind Hunt … that was a trade down hence my take a step forward then a step back comment.

I find that he is an average coach, nothing more nothing less and I find the defense of the job Marrone did here as half accurate (lack of school support) and half ridiculous. Not sure how stating such is expressive anger but hey to each his own.
I asked a question because you seem mad. Just trying to get clarity. We should be surprised he won 25 games in his 4 years. We havent had much to cheer for the last 20 years and you are overly critical with a coach that gave us moderate success. I dont like him as a person either but that doesnt take away what he did lol

Wait, he was handed Nassib? You act like he was this stud 4 star that everyone wanted. He was a 2 star kid from PA that thrived under Marrones tenure. Hunt went 4-4 in the Acc and had a injured riddled career. It was Marrone's fault he got hurt?

Last edited:
For me, at the tail end of the Marrone era I was confident we would always beat lesser squads and scheme a plan to move the ball against anyone. That said if Justin Pugh doesn't come back Marrone career path is much different.

Both things can be true

1. Marrone did a good job when he was at SU given the state the program was in and the support he got from the administration.
2. He's still a fairly mediocre coach who can be thin skinned especially when it comes to the media

Marrone’s “mediocre coaching” was the best we had the last 20 years. Is he Saban? No but it’s obvious he’s well respected in coaching circles as he keeps getting NFL gigs and at Alabama.

I’m willing to bet he could get a HC gig at college but why do that when you can get $3 million to coach NFL OL?

He's likely making around $1 million this season instead of $3 million.

I love this narrative that GROB left Doug this treasure trove of talent. Not even close on any level, the roster was littered with FCS level players. Going from 10 wins in 4 years to two bowl wins and 25 wins in 4 years is a damn good job. Go watch that 2008 ESPN feature on the collapse of our program and get past the hate and realize he did a good job, whether being a likable guy or not

I asked a question because you seem mad. Just trying to get clarity. We should be surprised he won 25 games in his 4 years. We havent had much to cheer for the last 20 years and you are overly critical with a coach that gave us moderate success. I dont like him as a person either but that doesnt take away what he did lol

Wait, he was handed Nassib? You act like he was this stud 4 star that everyone wanted. He was a 2 star kid from PA that thrived under Marrones tenure. Hunt went 4-4 in the Acc and had a injured riddled career. It was Marrone's fault he got hurt?
A.) in reality he only won 24 … fans in Toledo are still pissed.

B.) who did he win with and fail to over recruit … Nassib and Carter among others.

I never said he was left 4 star talent but some of his biggest contributors he didn’t recruit and he failed to recruit over. While Hunt had an injury riddled career he was never Dungey who took over under Shafer, see what I did there?

Like I said not mad I don’t get why some members of this board defend his body of work so vehemently … and for those that say it doesn’t happen just look at this thread.

B.) who did he win with and fail to over recruit … Nassib and Carter among others.

I never said he was left 4 star talent but some of his biggest contributors he didn’t recruit and he failed to recruit over. While Hunt had an injury riddled career he was never Dungey who took over under Shafer, see what I did there?

Like I said not mad I don’t get why some members of this board defend his body of work so vehemently … and for those that say it doesn’t happen just look at this thread.
When Doug coached at Syracuse, neither Gross or anybody else had his back. Then he goes to Buffalo and Nix and Whaley both either sucked at their job or in Whaley's case, were actively trying to undermine him and get rid of his staff. At Jacksonville, Coughlin went nuts and thought it was still 1958 and P.O. the whole team off. In spite of all those issues, he has still won and is very respected in college and the pro's and very likely will get another head coaching job in the pro's or at a major college power.

When Doug coached at Syracuse, neither Gross or anybody else had his back. Then he goes to Buffalo and Nix and Whaley both either sucked at their job or in Whaley's case, were actively trying to undermine him and get rid of his staff. At Jacksonville, Coughlin went nuts and thought it was still 1958 and P.O. the whole team off. In spite of all those issues, he has still won and is very respected in college and the pro's and very likely will get another head coaching job in the pro's or at a major college power.
He is sub .500 at every stop, period. I don’t care what the record book says he owes the referees in that Toledo game a bologna sandwich. What is the saying that I love so much? Oh yeah … when you run into an a$$hole in the morning you ran into an a$$hole, but if you keep running into a$$holes maybe you are the a$$hole. See what I did there? Of course it’s everyone else’s fault how silly of me. You just keep proving my point, he is such a hot commodity he is back to coaching the offensive line? Not even a coordinator gig? Hmmmm ….

He is sub .500 at every stop, period. I don’t care what the record book says he owes the referees in that Toledo game a bologna sandwich. What is the saying that I love so much? Oh yeah … when you run into an a$$hole in the morning you ran into an a$$hole, but if you keep running into a$$holes maybe you are the a$$hole. See what I did there? Of course it’s everyone else’s fault how silly of me. You just keep proving my point, he is such a hot commodity he is back to coaching the offensive line? Not even a coordinator gig? Hmmmm ….
Season 3 Nbc GIF by The Office

What? You are so combative that I cant even make sense of what you are arguing about. Im not in a debate session with you lol. You act like Ive had this conversation with you before. You just seem mad bitter to me. You havent said one good thing he did. Its just weird to me. lol.

This is just silly. Every team in every sport has calls go for or against them. Now you want to take wins away from SU? Lol
Exactly. If you want to debate how good a job he did at SU, fine. But throwing this out there just says "axe to grind" to me.

What a weird thread.
They all end up a little weird because, well, we're all a little weird here. Every summer we convince ourselves that our basketball/football teams are gonna be contenders this year. It's why I love this place so much. With that said...undefeated, baby!!!!

What? You are so combative that I cant even make sense of what you are arguing about. Im not in a debate session with you lol. You act like Ive had this conversation with you before. You just seem mad bitter to me. You havent said one good thing he did. Its just weird to me. lol.
How am I combative? Are you that sensitive or something that if I don’t sing his praises I’m satan? I literally made point by point to address your post. I insulted no one and gave my reasoning not sure how that is combative. Unless being combative means I don’t agree … so whatever.

If implying I’m angry helps your stance knock yourself out it’s cool … I don’t know you and you don’t know me. I made statements to back my opinion and I get this rhetoric. I haven’t even demeaned Marrone I said he is a mediocre coach that in my opinion made bad decisions starting at the end of his Buffalo tenure.

What I find perplexing is instead of making a counterpoint I get emotional handwringing and a plea to heap praise on a former coach I don’t feel warrants it.

Did Marrone do some good things? Of course … but a.) he made his fair share of mistakes and b.) taking off orange color glasses and looking at things objectively prevents me from defending him from those mistakes and decisions. Didn’t realize not worshipping him was a crime … my bad.

This is just silly. Every team in every sport has calls go for or against them. Now you want to take wins away from SU? Lol
That isn’t what I said. I merely reinforced the idea that for those that say he won everywhere he was a bizarre replay incident away from being sub .500 at every stop. So you can take that for what it’s worth … missed calls are one thing but never in my life have I seen something so egregious as a blown FG call and then have it blown again on replay … this isn’t like a bang bang call or a missed holding call. I will say the only other time I was that shocked was 98 vs Tenn with equipment violation calls. I was in the Dome that day and I have never seen such a large group of fans so perplexed in unison … it wasn’t anger it was shock. The botched Toledo call ranks right up there with that.

When you say “mediocre coach” who are you comparing him to? Saban? Bill Belichick? Bill Walsh? Or other SU coaches?

Marrone always had a game plan, would make halftime adjustments and could manage the game. Just going into happy valley with and being respectable with only like 30 players shows that. No one is saying build him a statue but I doubt Saban and the NFL hire just mediocre coaches and pay them $3 mill

Do you think Dino is going to get poached by the NFL?

No Dino will not be poached ... never said he would. Do I find it telling that Hackett got an HC job before Marrone after the Jax exodus? Yes I do .. I think his niche is as a coordinator not a head guy ... sorry my opinion.

How am I combative? Are you that sensitive or something that if I don’t sing his praises I’m satan? I literally made point by point to address your post. I insulted no one and gave my reasoning not sure how that is combative. Unless being combative means I don’t agree … so whatever.
Everything I say you are trying to rebute. You keep changing narratives and talking about stuff that I am not taking about. Its weird to me.

As far as other members here. No one is forcing you to talk about Marrone. If it bothers you so much then don't read their responses. Push the ignore button.

The Saints ownership loves Doug. Dennis Allen is getting a shot because he has been there a while but if he fails, Doug will be the guy. That's why he's there as an o-line coach and not the OC.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
FbBarbie

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom