Doug Marrone | Page 7 | Syracusefan.com

Doug Marrone

Status
Not open for further replies.
Marrone could have stayed under the Pegulas ownership he chose not to. They are now an AFC contender … you guys want to immortalize him on this board for some bizarre reason when it isn’t warranted.

Marrone is infected with Pitino-itis which is a condition that the grass is always greener elsewhere.

He was a great HC for Syracuse because he pulled the program from the absolute bottom of its existence. Nothing before or after was as bad as the stench of GERG era. He got them back to mediocre bowl participant.

I'd take Doug back in a heartbeat if it came to that. He was our Schiano and that's a compliment. I hope Dino makes it work

Maybe we should see how it works out for ND, as happy as they all seem with the decision right now.

He hasn't coached a game. Could be the next Bob Davie.

Agreed. They hired the kid's choice and the guy that could keep the thing together short term I am interested to see how this works. I don't like Brian Kelly, not sure anyone actually does but he's been successful everywhere he went. Don't expect anything different at LSU but their fanbase is insane

Marrone could have stayed under the Pegulas ownership he chose not to. They are now an AFC contender … you guys want to immortalize him on this board for some bizarre reason when it isn’t warranted.
What does that have to do with anything?

He makes $500k per year to coach Akron.

I'd guess yes.
$500k... such an unbelievable figure I will never come close to in my lifetime.

I think JW has already deemed White as head coach material. He said it last spring. There’s no head coach with experience knocking down the door to come to Syracuse.

I think JW has already deemed White as head coach material. He said it last spring. There’s no head coach with experience knocking down the door to come to Syracuse.

We're putting all of Bronco's people in place and giving him an upgrade a DC.

If we were to make a change, I'd hope we'd at least knock down his door. Would be the easiest transition of all. He's only 56.

We're putting all of Bronco's people in place and giving him an upgrade a DC.

If we were to make a change, I'd hope we'd at least knock down his door. Would be the easiest transition of all. He's only 56.

That would be something, not sure how UVA's facilities are but I'd hope the new Lally complex could be another carrot to use for Bronco.

But I could definitely see a scenario where White gets promoted to HC, Beck promoted to OC, and Dino and Anae retire/walk away after the 2023 season

I don’t want to immortalize him and I doubt most people on here do either. I just don’t remember Buffalo’s management being as good as it is today back when Marrone was the coach. The Pegulas ownership change is irrelevant as Marrone wasn’t there to benefit.

The person taking over SU football needs to be someone with head coaching experience imo. Someone who has a template for winning with less talent. A guy like Morehead would be a safe hire but I honestly don’t know if he would be any better than Dino.
My two cents are that it would depend on his OC and DC. Personally, i believe they are the keys to any head coach doing well. Dino finally has a good staff and if he lets them run their respective sides of the ball i think we do better.

I like Joe over Dino as i think he has much better east coast recruiting ties

Probably too focused on “this didn’t work last time” vs White’s HC ceiling vs Shafers

My two cents are that it would depend on his OC and DC. Personally, i believe they are the keys to any head coach doing well. Dino finally has a good staff and if he lets them run their respective sides of the ball i think we do better.

I like Joe over Dino as i think he has much better east coast recruiting ties
East coast ties don’t automatically win you games. It helps though. Regional 4 stars are not going to come running to Morehead until he wins. The key ingredient to having good ties in your region is winning, developing their players and sending them to the NFL. Mix in some visits and clinics and you can gain their trust.

This was never Dino’s offense. We as fans say that because it’s easier to identify the up tempo offense as being Dino’s. When we hear Dino’s offense we assume he is controlling everything. Do we say that about every head coach that adopts a scheme? Dino learned it and had his coordinators run it. He didn’t run it himself. He gives his input like other HC’s do. ( he knows a little something about offensive football). Question. Why do you think SU offensive struggles were due to Dino interfering? What evidence do you have of that? Because I’ve heard the opposite. I expressed that to you before.

Last edited:
That would be something, not sure how UVA's facilities are but I'd hope the new Lally complex could be another carrot to use for Bronco.

But I could definitely see a scenario where White gets promoted to HC, Beck promoted to OC, and Dino and Anae retire/walk away after the 2023 season
Bronco seems like a guy who marches to his own drummer, so to speak. I think we actually could have a shot with him if we need to move on from Dino in the near future.

What does that have to do with anything?
Because the point was made that Jax had better ownership/leadership. Anyone that thinks that should have their head examined and doesn't know a damn thing about football. Pegulas took over ... he bailed when it was a bad career move to do so. Of course, maybe the fact is the Bills hired a better coach. What I will never understand is this Marrone is a savior mantra you carry .. makes my head hurt.

While he didn't get the support from SU that he needed he didn't leave the program in a stellar state either. Quite frankly he set them back as far as he carried the program forward because he knew the QB situation post Nassib was a dumpster fire. The unapologetic defense of a mediocre coach astonishes me.

I don’t want to immortalize him and I doubt most people on here do either. I just don’t remember Buffalo’s management being as good as it is today back when Marrone was the coach. The Pegulas ownership change is irrelevant as Marrone wasn’t there to benefit.
He left after the Pegula's took ownership, he didn't have the patience to see what was going to happen next. Of course I'm ok with it ... as far as I'm concerned Buffalo upgraded their HC position when he took his toys and went home.

While he didn't get the support from SU that he needed he didn't leave the program in a stellar state either. Quite frankly he set them back as far as he carried the program forward because he knew the QB situation post Nassib was a dumpster fire. The unapologetic defense of a mediocre coach astonishes me.
How can you get mad at him for this? He had to totally rebuild a FCS roster just so he could be competitive in the Big East. The roster was still in that process. He didnt purposely leave it that way. He just took a NFL job. Who wouldnt in his situation?

How can you get mad at him for this? He had to totally rebuild a FCS roster just so he could be competitive in the Big East. The roster was still in that process. He didnt purposely leave it that way. He just took a NFL job. Who wouldnt in his situation?
People hate the guy too much to remember what a complete dumpster fire he inherited, how horrible his bosses were and what total trash the financial support was for the program. I get it, he is a mopey and thin skinned guy. But he did a damn good job and like you said, every single poster here would have taken the Bills gig too

People hate the guy too much to remember what a complete dumpster fire he inherited, how horrible his bosses were and what total trash the financial support was for the program. I get it, he is a mopey and thin skinned guy. But he did a damn good job and like you said, every single poster here would have taken the Bills gig too
Ive never been the type to not give credit when credit is due. Even when I dislike something about a person. It doesnt mean I have to dislike everything about them. But I know everyone is bulit differently.

Because the point was made that Jax had better ownership/leadership. Anyone that thinks that should have their head examined and doesn't know a damn thing about football. Pegulas took over ... he bailed when it was a bad career move to do so. Of course, maybe the fact is the Bills hired a better coach. What I will never understand is this Marrone is a savior mantra you carry .. makes my head hurt.

Marrone’s “mediocre coaching” was the best we had the last 20 years. Is he Saban? No but it’s obvious he’s well respected in coaching circles as he keeps getting NFL gigs and at Alabama.

I’m willing to bet he could get a HC gig at college but why do that when you can get $3 million to coach NFL OL?

I'm not mad at all. That FCS roster he inherited had some of the best talent in his tenure. Quite frankly moving to the NFL was the next progression ... have no issue with that either. Not sure where I said I was mad at Marrone, please point me to it ... I find folks defending him tooth and nail is silly and yes I feel he is a mediocre head coach period end of story. Being thrilled with Marrone as our coach is akin to being excited an ugly chick said yes to our prom invite.

I really truly want Dino to take off and succeed, I think he is a person of high character and it shows in who he recruits. I'm not saying Marrone recruited bad kids but I was never fond of the vibe he gave off ... quite frankly I look at the flack some coaches received and I wonder how Marrone skates by with some folks for criticism and their support is blind.

Marrone’s “mediocre coaching” was the best we had the last 20 years. Is he Saban? No but it’s obvious he’s well respected in coaching circles as he keeps getting NFL gigs and at Alabama.

I’m willing to bet he could get a HC gig at college but why do that when you can get $3 million to coach NFL OL?
Best in the last 20 years isn’t that impressive. Tallest toddler

Well he went from a collegiate HC with a .500 record to a pro coach in Buffalo to head coach in Jax to OLine coach at Bama ... he peaked when he caught lightning in the bottle in Jax. This is what I mean ... why is it so painful to admit he is a mediocre coach? Being the best at SU in the last 20 years is akin to bragging about being the tallest midget ... thank God we can lower the bar to crown Saint Doug.

I'm not mad at all. That FCS roster he inherited had some of the best talent in his tenure. Quite frankly moving to the NFL was the next progression ... have no issue with that either. Not sure where I said I was mad at Marrone, please point me to it ... I find folks defending him tooth and nail is silly and yes I feel he is a mediocre head coach period end of story. Being thrilled with Marrone as our coach is akin to being excited an ugly chick said yes to our prom invite.

I really truly want Dino to take off and succeed, I think he is a person of high character and it shows in who he recruits. I'm not saying Marrone recruited bad kids but I was never fond of the vibe he gave off ... quite frankly I look at the flack some coaches received and I wonder how Marrone skates by with some folks for criticism and their support is blind.
Maybe you are not seeing it, but your posts are conveying a lot of anger.
Also where is Marrone being defended tooth and nail?

Maybe you are not seeing it, but your posts are conveying a lot of anger.
Also where is Marrone being defended tooth and nail?
I am? Please tell me more Dr. Freud … do you not read this board or am I missing something?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
FbBarbie

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom