Doug Marrone | Page 6 | Syracusefan.com

Doug Marrone

Status
Not open for further replies.
I agree with needing an east coast guy. White is an east coast guy. If Dino still has a significant buyout i could see white being elevated. If ND can do it so can SU.
White was born in Florida, went to school through 6th grade in the Bronx and then 7-12th grade in El Paso Texas. College and the rest of his time was on the west coast.

I agree he doesn’t want to come back but there was a rumor a few weeks ago that JW reached out to him through back channels to gauge his interest if this season craters. Doug supposedly said he had no interest. I tend to not believe the rumor that JW contacted his people. Too early to be doing that I think. Just throwing out what I read somewhere on this board. I think it was a reliable board source who posted the rumor though.
He was at the Louisville basketball game last year I was surprised they put him on the screen and announced it

I agree with needing an east coast guy. White is an east coast guy. If Dino still has a significant buyout i could see white being elevated. If ND can do it so can SU.

ND did that move under a successful period. Similar to Mac and Pasqualoni. If Dino leaves he's going to be fired. I doubt he's leaving, at this point, for a lateral job.

I'm just not a fan of firing the HC and retaining his assistants. Reeks of cheap, visionless and rudderless. Wildhack will not do that. This will be his opportunity to hire his guy IF IF IF this falls apart this year.

My guess is he has his list already because he's a preparation guy. You can't assume this season goes swimmingly. The odds are it will go bad because see 2000-2022. We gotta be ready and really hope we catch lightening in a bottle again

ND did that move under a successful period. Similar to Mac and Pasqualoni. If Dino leaves he's going to be fired. I doubt he's leaving, at this point, for a lateral job.

I'm just not a fan of firing the HC and retaining his assistants. Reeks of cheap, visionless and rudderless. Wildhack will not do that. This will be his opportunity to hire his guy IF IF IF this falls apart this year.

My guess is he has his list already because he's a preparation guy. You can't assume this season goes swimmingly. The odds are it will go bad because see 2000-2022. We gotta be ready and really hope we catch lightening in a bottle again
We already watched this movie once before - it was called Scott Shafer. I was in favor of his promotion at the time and learned from that experience.

We would need an east coast guy with factory pedigree. Coordinator level at a factory school with an east coast background. Someone with heavy ties in NJ and FL. Someone who has a network where he can build a recruiting staff that reflects that.

We already watched this movie once before - it was called Scott Shafer. I was in favor of his promotion at the time and learned from that experience.

We would need an east coast guy with factory pedigree. Coordinator level at a factory school with an east coast background. Someone with heavy ties in NJ and FL. Someone who has a network where he can build a recruiting staff that reflects that.
I like Moorhead.

Maybe we should see how it works out for ND, as happy as they all seem with the decision right now.

He hasn't coached a game. Could be the next Bob Davie.

Maybe we should see how it works out for ND, as happy as they all seem with the decision right now.

He hasn't coached a game. Could be the next Bob Davie.

or Ty Willingham. They've had some clunkers.

Syracuse has a good person as HC (which to me is unique these days in college football) with mediocre results so far in his tenure. need the good guy to get good results now. it's pretty simple for me

I do too but would he leave Akron after one year?
I definitely do. Think he took Akron job as a placeholder position, until another chance at a P5 job presents itself.

I definitely do. Think he took Akron job as a placeholder position, until another chance at a P5 job presents itself.
I could see a guy taking a placeholder position as a coordinator or position coach but not a HC. Maybe I’m wrong. Hopefully SU will not have a need for a new HC in 2023.

I could see a guy taking a placeholder position as a coordinator or position coach but not a HC. Maybe I’m wrong. Hopefully SU will not have a need for a new HC in 2023.
Maybe. Not even sure what the Oregon situation was; with Cristobal leaving for Miami. But, I do like the fact that he wants to be "the Man." You want a guy at HC, that wants to be a leader, not a follower.

I would gladly, also welcome Dougie back as well.

or Ty Willingham. They've had some clunkers.

Syracuse has a good person as HC (which to me is unique these days in college football) with mediocre results so far in his tenure. need the good guy to get good results now. it's pretty simple for me

Agree. But I just brought up Davie because that's the last time they promoted the DC. Didn't work out how they planned.

I'm sure our ND visitors will jump in soon to tell me how this time it's going to be different. And perhaps it will be. Big first test.

Yep

it says something when the best management he worked for was the jags
Yeah because Buffalo has been in such terrible shape lately ... management in Buffalo is 100x better than Jax ...

The person taking over SU football needs to be someone with head coaching experience imo. Someone who has a template for winning with less talent. A guy like Morehead would be a safe hire but I honestly don’t know if he would be any better than Dino.

A guy like Morehead would be a safe hire but I honestly don’t know if he would be any better than Dino.
Painful fact. Syracuse lost to teams with Joe Morehead on the coaching staff four years in a row. Don't look up whom. It's VERY depressing.

Morehead had a similar FCS rise to Dino - took over a very bad team and made them VERY good in Year 2. Good offenses at Penn State. Okay track record in the SEC at one of the regionally hardest places to be successful.

Hard to say if he'd be an upgrade over Dino, but if Dino goes, it's a different offensive philosophy (that seems more flexible), and he seems to be able to make more out of less. Plus, he has a long history in the NE. Akron will be an interesting test case to see if the more-out-of-less thing is still true.

Painful fact. Syracuse lost to teams with Joe Morehead on the coaching staff four years in a row. Don't look up whom. It's VERY depressing.

Morehead had a similar FCS rise to Dino - took over a very bad team and made them VERY good in Year 2. Good offenses at Penn State. Okay track record in the SEC at one of the regionally hardest places to be successful.

Hard to say if he'd be an upgrade over Dino, but if Dino goes, it's a different offensive philosophy (that seems more flexible), and he seems to be able to make more out of less. Plus, he has a long history in the NE. Akron will be an interesting test case to see if the more-out-of-less thing is still true.
Whoever is the HC in 2 years, will have more to work with in terms of recruiting(e.g. facilities, dorms, locker rooms.) Need to have at least 1 or 2 more "Swag Daddies" on the staff, absolutely 1 for the offensive side of the ball.

Yeah I would need to see Moorhead have a few winning seasons and get a MAC championship.

Yeah because Buffalo has been in such terrible shape lately ... management in Buffalo is 100x better than Jax ...
When Marrone was there?

When Marrone was there?
Marrone could have stayed under the Pegulas ownership he chose not to. They are now an AFC contender … you guys want to immortalize him on this board for some bizarre reason when it isn’t warranted.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
FbBarbie

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom