Down 2 with 5 secs left in the game... | Syracusefan.com

Down 2 with 5 secs left in the game...

Chicago44s

2nd String
Who do you want taking the shot in a game tomorrow?

Who do you want taking the shot in the Natl Champ Game?

I'd go with John Gillon right now in a isolation. Seems to have a nice touch around the rim and decent feel for the game within 10 ft. despite missing some bunnies today. Play for OT.

At the end of year I feel Lydon will finally be the established go to guy the same way Malachi use to step up in big game situations. I'd be ok with a three for the win/loss too.

Gillon all the time. Has the outside shot, the speed and dribble to improvise if nothing's there, the finishing around the rim, and the high ft percentage when gets foul

We certainly have more options if people foul out like they did in the final 4 against Michigan. We wont be stuck making a very inexperienced player like the young Cooney try to be the hero. It's refreshing knowing all of these guys can ball, regardless of which one is the best.

Due to that fact. defenses may not have 1 guy to key in on in that situation which often is the case. Heck, who knows how many options Boeheim may have. This team is depending on him much more than in the past to find the optimal lineup at each given moment.

I'd go with John Gillon right now in a isolation. Seems to have a nice touch around the rim and decent feel for the game within 10 ft. despite missing some bunnies today. Play for OT.

At the end of year I feel Lydon will finally be the established go to guy the same way Malachi use to step up in big game situations. I'd be ok with a three for the win/loss too.
Me. I want to take the shots.

The open man.

It could honestly be White, Lydon, and in a couple months Battle and even Gillon if he's open. Who is open, get them the ball. I trust them all.

I hated in the past when we had "that guy" who went one-on-one in a 1-4 set, dribbling the ball 25 to 30 feet from the rim as the time runs out. Billy Owens, as great as he was, was not very good as a closer his junior year, IMO, because it was so predictable that he was going to take the shot and not pass. It became a game of 1 on 5.

That's what I don't want to see. Just run the offense and find the open man and we'll be fine in end-of-game situations.

I generally prefer for a PG to be the guy to get us this shot in the situation prescribed above. What an advantage when that's the case.

But I tend to agree with Matt, above. We have LOTS of scorers, and lots of shooters. So I'd like to see one of the PGs create off of the bounce, see what happens, and then either put it up or find the open man.

Swish.

My preference would be for Gillon, but that we have TWO of these guys who could make that type of play is a huge advantage in guard-driven college basketball.

To me, Gillon seems to be a head down and take it to the basket guy but his size might hurt him getting a clean look. I prefer Frank driving and kicking to the open man when help defense shifts to him.

I can put a line up of five out there that I am comfortable with all of them taking the shot. The set up though needs to probably be Gillon. As he is also a legit FT threat, as where Howard... needs to figure that part out.

Who I want initiating the play and who I want taking the shot are the key factors. I think I'd want Gillon initiating in both situations because of his versatility. Down 2, I'd like a high percentage shot at the rim to take us to overtime (assuming no excessive foul trouble or missing players). So, in both cases, I think I'd prefer Roberson or Lydon with the ball in their hands a foot away from the rim.

I'd want the ball in gillons hands with robey down low, white and lydon out on the wings, and a center setting a high screen for gillon to play off of, read the defense accordingly. look first for an easy bucket for robey down low, then for either white or lydon if then can get an open look, or for gillon to take it himself, either driving to the basket or creating his own shot, depending on whatever his defender gives him.

I never get why teams run isolation basketball down the stretch for their "best" player. I say "best" player because that can be subjective depending on what type of skill different fans prefer.

I think it was Hubie Brown who said why would I abandon set plays I run all game to just give it to one guy at the end. It makes it way to easy on the defense.

Analytics has exposed isolation basketball in the past decade. Even the best players like Lebron, Steph, and Kobe are horrible in these situations down the stretch of games to win or tie.

We can have a certain set we go to in these situations, but it should maximize the potential of all five guys on the floor. I expect by the end of the season we will see a lot of Gillon(or Howard)/Lydon P&R with some kind of action of the ball used to get Battle or White in positions where they can score.

White if we can free him up. Gillon if not. Lydon in the post if there's time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
FbBarbie

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom