Down to #7 in the AP Poll | Page 3 | Syracusefan.com

Down to #7 in the AP Poll

Villanova is 4-0 with it's last four games. The poll is based on where teams are at right now. I would rather be 23-6 playing like we were 28-1 as opposed to where we are now! Our objective is not how we do in the poll but winning a national championship. Now who on this board thinks this team as it is playing now is capable of winning a national championship? I would be happy if we get to the sweet 16 the way they have played the last four games!
I beg to differ. They played well at Duke. Merely a faulty whistle away from a win (although I would not have been surprised to see Parker go the length of the court and get a whistle with two seconds to go).

Madbiker said:
I guess our 16 point head-to-head win over Nova while having the same number of loses means nothing.

Quite frankly, we are not even close to the 7th best team in the country right now. Our win over Nova is one of the reasons we're still that high in the polls. Do you really think we would beat Nova on a neutral court if we played them tonight?

I beg to differ. They played well at Duke. Merely a faulty whistle away from a win (although I would not have been surprised to see Parker go the length of the court and get a whistle with two seconds to go).

I'm okay with your opinion. My concern would be how bad is Grant's back injury. We know it's a strain. What we do not know is how long is it going to take to heal and if the injury is going to recur if he returns too soon. I would almost prefer losing the next 3 games and getting a lower seed if it means our bench gets better and Grant is fully healed for the NCAA tournament.

Take a look at Florida State's bench and their box scores. They have 2 and 3 star players making double digit contributions. Our bench is pretty weak right now. Roberson has shown some brilliance in limited minutes. But we need more depth.

Quite frankly, we are not even close to the 7th best team in the country right now. Our win over Nova is one of the reasons we're still that high in the polls. Do you really think we would beat Nova on a neutral court if we played them tonight?

No.

Let me just add that some times the home crowd at Syracuse is so lame there are times we have no home court advantage! The second half of the BC game when BC went on it's run was a disgrace. It seemed like the entire crowd just sat down until there were 5 minutes left in the game!

Last edited:
Cusefan0307 said:
Come on Seriously? This is why they need to tell people how to vote on the polls. It should be you entire body of work. Not the last week. If what you are saying is true, we would of been a bubble team last year.

EDIT: Hard to rank us lower than 7th when everybody behind us lost as well.

I think you're confusing the polls with tourney seedings.

unless it's changed i believe by rule the top 3 seeds from any conference are supposed to be placed in different regions.
It's the top 4 teams in a conference but only if they are on the 1-4 seed lines.

It's the top 4 teams in a conference but only if they are on the 1-4 seed lines.

I think the way it works is the highest rank 2-seed gets placed in the region closest to their home court. If Syracuse is ranked 7th in the country then maybe Villanova will be the 2-seed in the east.

But what difference does it make if they are playing badly. I would rather have them be an 5th or 6th seed and be playing like championship team. Right now we have the opposite.

I cannot see UVA getting a one.

Why not? Who's playing better ball then they since late Dec./Early January? If they go on and win the ACCT, that, combined with the regular season title, they've got a legit shot. Actually, if that happened and didn't get a number one, that would be BS...

if villanova takes another beatdown to creighton they will drop off 2 line

Why not? Who's playing better ball then they since late Dec./Early January? If they go on and win the ACCT, that, combined with the regular season title, they got a legit shot. Actually, if that happened and didn't get a number one, that would be BS...

whole body of work. losing to a bubble team by 35 hurts them. Would need duke, Syracuse, Kansas, Wisconsin and Wichita State to lose as well

Why not? Who's playing better ball then they since late Dec./Early January? If they go on and win the ACCT, that, combined with the regular season title, they've got a legit shot. Actually, if that happened and didn't get a number one, that would be BS...

Horrendous nonconference. I'd put Kansas on the one line before UVA.

I don't think so - if Kansas wins out, they'll be #1 in the east. Committee LOVES SoS and RPI (sometimes more than W-L, #smh)

kansas as a 1 in the east is great for us. that would cement us as the 2 in the east

Horrendous nonconference. I'd put Kansas on the one line before UVA.
UVa would be a virtual lock for a 1-seed IF we run the table, assuming, in that scenario, that we win the ACCT the "hard way" (i.e., beating two of UNC/Duke/Cuse rather than lesser teams that pulled upsets in earlier rounds).

We went 9-4 OOC, but all 4 losses were to top 50 RPI teams (Green Bay is hanging on as RPI #50 right now). That's not great, but it's not "horrendous". Furthermore, the committee will look favorably on the strength of our OOC schedule (#28 overall).

IF we run the table, our RPI would be top 5, our ranking would be top 5, we would be ACC regular season and tournament champs, and we'd be 20-1 since January 1st with all games coming against ACC opponents (that's a big IF as running the table will not be easy).

A subpar OOC season would not be enough to knock UVa off the 1 line in that scenario.

if you beat 2 of unc/ duke/su in acct then we can talk about it but since you have only played those teams once in regular season your ceiling is a 2 seed

Not surprised at 7 but I find it curious that Michigan State got bumped up earlier based on injuries and potential and there was no love for us...

Two differences between what Michigan State played through and what we are currently facing. Michigan State's injured players were listed as DNPs in the box score. They were also guys who were their featured players (top scorers and top MPG guys and they lost more than one of these guys at a time for multiple games).

While Keita was a DNP he was not among our top 5 scorers or mpg players and probably wouldn't be seen as a particularly significant loss by the casual observer. And while Jerami would be recognized as a significant loss he didn't get DNPs in any of the games in which his injury impacted his output.

I guess what I'm saying is our injuries haven't been as obvious to the casual observer as MSU's were.

Last edited:
if you beat 2 of unc/ duke/su in acct then we can talk about it but since you have only played those teams once in regular season your ceiling is a 2 seed
I agree with that assessment. Need to beat the top teams in the ACCT to have a shot at a 1. Winning the ACCT by beating a Pittsburgh, Clemson, or Maryland won't cut it.

Come on Seriously? This is why they need to tell people how to vote on the polls. It should be you entire body of work. Not the last week. If what you are saying is true, we would of been a bubble team last year.

EDIT: Hard to rank us lower than 7th when everybody behind us lost as well.

You understand that the polls have absolutely nothing to do with NCAA seeding? There isn't really a bubble when it comes to ranking.

NCAA tournament bids and seeding are determined on your entire body of work.

Your entire body of work forms the underlying basis for you ranking (obviously a team that started 0-10 isn't going to get to #1 no matter who they knock off at the end of the season) but it is also very heavily impacted by recent performance...so if you have a bad streak where you are playing like dogshit you are likely to take a hit in the rankings.

what does two years ago have to do with anything? second, they have seven losses NOW. not at the end of the year. perhaps kansas can lose 15 games and still get a one seed just because they "look" like one.

You understand that the polls have absolutely nothing to do with NCAA seeding? There isn't really a bubble when it comes to ranking.

NCAA tournament bids and seeding are determined on your entire body of work.

Your entire body of work forms the underlying basis for you ranking (obviously a team that started 0-10 isn't going to get to #1 no matter who they knock off at the end of the season) but it is also very heavily impacted by recent performance...so if you have a bad streak where you are playing like dogshit you are likely to take a hit in the rankings.

No kidding, know the rankings have nothing to do with seeding, I was trying to make a point of how one frequent poster said we should be ranked 20th this week.

what does two years ago have to do with anything?
A lot, if your complaining about a seven loss one seed. It's not unheard of. It happened two years ago.

second, they have seven losses NOW. not at the end of the year. perhaps kansas can lose 15 games and still get a one seed just because they "look" like one.
Lunardis bracket is set up,as if the season ended NOW. And they finish with Texas Tech, WVU, and the conf tourney. Hardly unlikely they finish w seven losses.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
SYRtoBOS

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom