Down to #7 in the AP Poll | Page 4 | Syracusefan.com

Down to #7 in the AP Poll

UVa would be a virtual lock for a 1-seed IF we run the table, assuming, in that scenario, that we win the ACCT the "hard way" (i.e., beating two of UNC/Duke/Cuse rather than lesser teams that pulled upsets in earlier rounds).

We went 9-4 OOC, but all 4 losses were to top 50 RPI teams (Green Bay is hanging on as RPI #50 right now). That's not great, but it's not "horrendous". Furthermore, the committee will look favorably on the strength of our OOC schedule (#28 overall).

IF we run the table, our RPI would be top 5, our ranking would be top 5, we would be ACC regular season and tournament champs, and we'd be 20-1 since January 1st with all games coming against ACC opponents (that's a big IF as running the table will not be easy).

A subpar OOC season would not be enough to knock UVa off the 1 line in that scenario.

You have no quality wins OOC and a thirty point beat down from a mediocre sec team. Whatever adjective you want to use, it's bad. At least for a reume of a one seed.

Not to mention playing the rest of the top five of the conference a total of four times. Two at home.

Not sure why people are talking about UVA getting a 1. It will be Nova, Kansas, Duke or us. Kansas looks the most likely team now, with Nova being the least likely.

jdubs30 said:
Not sure why people are talking about UVA getting a 1. It will be Nova, Kansas, Duke or us. Kansas looks the most likely team now, with Nova being the least likely.
nova being a 1 would be a traveshamockery

nova is going to lose at least one more time, probably two - no 1 seed for them

I have no problem with Kansas getting a 1 seed, its Wichita's being given a 1 seed with there lack of resume compared to other top 7 teams

You have no quality wins OOC and a thirty point beat down from a mediocre sec team. Whatever adjective you want to use, it's bad. At least for a reume of a one seed.

Not to mention playing the rest of the top five of the conference a total of four times. Two at home.

I think beating the #18 team in the country on a neutral court would qualify as a quality OOC win. Losing to Tennessee was bad, but it is only one loss, regardless of the score. Losing to Boston College, at home, by any margin, is a worse loss than losing at Tennessee and its not close.

As far as conference schedule. We'd love to have gotten Pitt and Duke at home, as we'd be favored to win both games. But the schedule makers didn't have it in the cards. We beat SU and UNC at home by 19 and 15 points respectively, so I'd like my chances on the road against those two as well.

conference with the most teams in the ap 25 anyone ?
AAC 5. ACC second with 4.

I think beating the #18 team in the country on a neutral court would qualify as a quality OOC win. Losing to Tennessee was bad, but it is only one loss, regardless of the score. Losing to Boston College, at home, by any margin, is a worse loss than losing at Tennessee and its not close.

As far as conference schedule. We'd love to have gotten Pitt and Duke at home, as we'd be favored to win both games. But the schedule makers didn't have it in the cards. We beat SU and UNC at home by 19 and 15 points respectively, so I'd like my chances on the road against those two as well.
First, thanks for taking the time to convince us of UVA's greatness. We'd be a clueless bunch without you.
Let's look at the bolded part. Losing by 35 points to any team, let alone a middling bubble team, raises a red flag. Let's go ahead and say, though, just to humor you, that the Tennessee and BC losses cancel eachother out. Fine. How 'bout that Green Bay loss and those home losses to Wisconsin and VCU? None of them bad losses by itself, but that adds up to having just one halfway-decent win OOC, compared to our several quality OOC wins.
We have 3 losses compared to your 5 and we have considerably more wins over RPI top 50.
Overall body of work.

what you have to bear in mind tho is that the winner of the ACCT is most likely knocking off 2 top 10 teams just hours before selection starts.
that fact alone should carry some great weight before the selection committee. east #1 imo

First, thanks for taking the time to convince us of UVA's greatness. We'd be a clueless bunch without you.
Let's look at the bolded part. Losing by 35 points to any team, let alone a middling bubble team, raises a red flag. Let's go ahead and say, though, just to humor you, that the Tennessee and BC losses cancel eachother out. Fine. How 'bout that Green Bay loss and those home losses to Wisconsin and VCU? None of them bad losses by itself, but that adds up to having just one halfway-decent win OOC, compared to our several quality OOC wins.
We have 3 losses compared to your 5 and we have considerably more wins over RPI top 50.
Overall body of work.

The statement I made is that IF UVa beats MD and wins the ACCT the "hard way," then we likely are in line for a 1 seed, and, certainly, would get the 1 seed before SU and Duke (if KU wins out, they may grab it).

If the season ended today, then SU would have a better argument for 1 seed than UVa based on body of work to date. No argument there.

In short, if Duke, SU, and UVa all win out in the regular season, then the winner of the ACCT (assuming it is one of those three schools) will have the best shot of the three at a #1 seed. Or, conversely, if any of those three teams loses between now and 3/17, they are unlikely to get a 1 seed (of course, Wichita State, Florida, and Arizona could all crash and burn between now and then, which would change everything).

STEVEHOLT said:
Kansas has seven losses. SEVEN. How many losses before they get knocked out of a one seed? At some point the eye test has to take a seat back to the results test.[/QUOTE

And did I read correctly they are only two places behind us? Still top ten with seven losses? How many voters did they bestow favors on to get that???!!!

Oh. A three point win over Southern Methodist. That changes everything.

If we make the finals (which means we would beat Duke or UNC in the semis) we are not leaving the east coast. 1 or 2 seed is a lock.

We should get it in that scenario, but I would not call it a lock, just because we are not so far apart to be 100% confident committee will make the right call.

LOL. C'mon.

LOL. C'mon.
UVa is clearly a better team than Syracuse RIGHT NOW. Facts is facts. Game would be closer at the Carrier Dome, but I would welcome the opportunity to play SU there.

Carolina seems to be playing well, but then they lay an egg against ND. So, who knows about that one. I'd be less excited about going to the Dean Dome right now.

UVa is clearly a better team than Syracuse RIGHT NOW. Facts is facts. Game would be closer at the Carrier Dome, but I would welcome the opportunity to play SU there.

Carolina seems to be playing well, but then they lay an egg against ND. So, who knows about that one. I'd be less excited about going to the Dean Dome right now.

Correction: you are playing better ball right now. I'm not sure that you are "better" than us, or have "better" long term post-season potential than we do [although I'm sure your fans would disagree, given the roll you are on]. I'd welcome the opportunity to play you in the ACCT as an opportunity to avenge Saturday's loss. Doesn't mean we'd win, but lost amidst your fanbase patting themselves on the back for the large margin of victory is that this was a tied game with 10 minutes to go, with us getting nothing from one of our key players. You guys shot the lights out--credit where credit is due--but would you be able to replicate that? Would you get so many second chance opportunities to burn us inside with an effective Grant [our leading rebounder] sporting an immobile 1 inch vertical that day? What if a couple of home town calls [the one where your player ran over Ennis, steamrolling him but drawing a block] had gone the other way and Ennis hadn't been relegated to the bench at a critical juncture of the game with 4 fouls?

Again--I want to be clear--credit where credit is due. You beat us convincingly on Saturday. But I feel like we ran out of gas late in the second half at the same time your team simultaneously got really hot from outside to stretch out the lead. Not claiming that we ARE better; the lone on-court result speaks for itself. But I'd relish the chance at playing you in the Dome, if the schedules were more balanced. Or in the ACC tournament, where the playing field would be a little more level.

Just my two cents.

Glad you're enjoying your moment in the sun. We'll see what happens.

RIGHT NOW, as in, when one of Syracuse's best players is hurt and basically didn't play against Virginia? Sure.

In the Dome with a healthy Grant? Probably a different story. Just be happy you'll never have to find out, be happy with your W, and move on. It's amazing how a few hot weeks can gas a fanbase's head up like this. You want no part of the Dome and your team will win very few games there going forward.

RIGHT NOW, as in, when one of Syracuse's best players is hurt and basically didn't play against Virginia? Sure.

In the Dome with a healthy Grant? Probably a different story. Just be happy you'll never have to find out, be happy with your W, and move on. It's amazing how a few hot weeks can gas a fanbase's head up like this. You want no part of the Dome and your team will win very few games there going forward.
Try a few hot months. 16-1 since over last two months. If BC can win in the Dome, why not us?

Correction: Fan, not fanbase.

DCHoo can spout all he wants if he feels we're "clearly better" than you guys right now (maybe), or intimate that we'd do just fine in 4 more games vs Duke, Pitt, 'Cuse, and UNC (maybe, maybe not). Regardless, on an opponent's board, and one that is SO clearly a MUCH better program historically, 9 out of 10 UVa fans would probably be a lot more humble/polite, and a lot less chest-thumping/arrogant.

JMO, and no offense meant to DCHoo - it's not very often at all that we have this sort of chance to be proud of our team, and easy to get swept up in. I just try to be a little nicer when I'm "a guest in someone's house" (on a rival board).

Try a few hot months. 16-1 since over last two months. If BC can win in the Dome, why not us?

Because we're usually good and we don't lose at home very often?

I'm sure you will win a few games there over the years, and I'm also pretty sure you'll lose there a lot more often than you'll win.

Saying you'd beat us there in a year where we're 26-3 and you know you'll never have to actually be held accountable for your claims because it's not on the schedule? Pretty weak. Be happy with the W you got. That one actually happened, your team played lights out, and nobody can say much to lessen that one or UVA's recent play. However, though you're all excited down there, but let's not overdo it here.

Maybe we could of got you at home in early January - why are you assuming the game would be now? Remember... date of game is irrelevant to your resume.

Two differences between what Michigan State played through and what we are currently facing. Michigan State's injured players were listed as DNPs in the box score. They were also guys who were their featured players (top scorers and top MPG guys and they lost more than one of these guys at a time for multiple games).

While Keita was a DNP he was not among our top 5 scorers or mpg players and probably wouldn't be seen as a particularly significant loss by the casual observer. And while Jerami would be recognized as a significant loss he didn't get DNPs in any of the games in which his injury impacted his output.

I guess what I'm saying is our injuries haven't been as obvious to the casual observer as MSU's were.

I think those who vote in the polls should be be more than casual observers although some are not. IMHO, Michigan State should not have been bumped up based on the potential of players who were not playing nor should we. It just annoys me when we are not shown as much love as others are.

By the way, you forgot Coleman and I think his loss may have affected the team more than just the loss of his box score numbers.

Dumb post.

Sorry, chum--the transitive property argument is a loser. I could just as easily say: we beat Duke, who beat you, therefore we'd beat you in the Dome.

Neither argument has any bearing on what the outcome would be.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
SYRtoBOS

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom