Draft Thread | Page 10 | Syracusefan.com

Draft Thread

I appreciate the healthy constructive arguments in this thread. I wonder if a poll could be made as to who posters think would have the better career between Manuel, Tannehill and Smith.

I think Watkins is "that much better" than Evans or Ebron.

However, if Buffalo sucks and has a top 10 pick then that means EJ was bad and then the trade looks like we gave up too much.

If Buffalo is good and is at least in the Playoff chase, they would be on the right track and would be drafting late teens, 20's. Then that first rounder isnt that hard to swallow especially since Buffalo will have a good amount of cap room to sign FA's and resign their own players.

Its hard to envision Buffalo being good because we've been bad for so long but if EJ cant at least be solid with the defense, offensive line, running backs and wideouts he has then I dont even know what to say.

If you take QB out of the mix, who is the most talented team in the AFC East? I'd say Buffalo, but of course im a homer so id be interested in hearing other points of view.

You can argue all day long about who will be best amongst the Bills, Jets, or Fins.

Bottom line - it will be the team whose young QB steps up the most.

As a Jet fan, I think Geno has solid upside. Last year he had freakin nobody to throw to. This year he will have Decker as a sure thing. Kerley is also solid if not spectacular. Chris Johnson should provide solid help as well. I would be shocked if Hill does anything other than continue to flame out. Man, I still remember that draft - I wanted Jeffrey in that spot. What on earth do some of these so called talent scouts look at - the one bomb Hill caught in four years - Lam Jone redeaux - yech ? If Amaro, and one of the three wideouts they drafted can get the job done, I would expect Geno to take a big step. At least this year he will have a chance unless the whole draft goes up in flames. Just as an FYI, I called Saunders earlier in this thread, I am thrilled the Jets got him - kid can play even at his size.

I think Bills really hurt themselves with that trade. Gave up wayyy too much IMHO. Is Watkins really THAT much better than Ebron or Beckham (both there at #9) for that matter ? Or they could hav egiven up less to trade up for Evans at a lower draft slot.

Manuel looked good to me last season - I see a lot of wars upcoming between Geno and himself. I think one of them will eventually become a Top Ten QB - which one - too early to say. As for Tannenhill, his wife has all of the upside in the family. I really don't see him as more than a middle of the road QB.
michael vick is not there to sit.

and rexy is coaching for his job.

the math is easy on this one.

michael vick is not there to sit.

and rexy is coaching for his job.

the math is easy on this one.
The Jets want to move forward under Idzak - that means Geno will be given every opportunity to show whether or not he is the real deal and the QB of the future. If Geno doesn't get it done they will look really bad for passing up Johnny Football. That being said, Rex and the Jets will not write off the season to find out, and Geno's rope may be short - that is why they signed Vick in the first place. Vick doesn't start out of the gate unless Geno really stinks up training camp.

I think Watkins is "that much better" than Evans or Ebron.

However, if Buffalo sucks and has a top 10 pick then that means EJ was bad and then the trade looks like we gave up too much.

If Buffalo is good and is at least in the Playoff chase, they would be on the right track and would be drafting late teens, 20's. Then that first rounder isnt that hard to swallow especially since Buffalo will have a good amount of cap room to sign FA's and resign their own players.

Its hard to envision Buffalo being good because we've been bad for so long but if EJ cant at least be solid with the defense, offensive line, running backs and wideouts he has then I dont even know what to say.

If you take QB out of the mix, who is the most talented team in the AFC East? I'd say Buffalo, but of course im a homer so id be interested in hearing other points of view.

Buffalo's the most talented.

Miami's 2nd due to WR depth, Charles Clay, a solid defense and solid/improving pass coverage.

The Jets are still experiencing instability at QB. They need a big year out of Decker or Ivory to create a pass threat because I doub CJ2k is putting out 2k yards.

Their D line however is ridiculously good, but beyond that their defense is meh.

How're you going to tell me that QBR has any relevance when comparing these two? Tannehill didn't have half the offensive line that EJ had, nor the running game.

Tannehill came to a Dolphins team that was truly rock bottom. EJ came to a Bills offense with all the tools but no QB.
It's not QBR it's passer rating. And since they're both NFL quarterbacks, it is very relevant.

I don't see the huge difference in offensive lines. The Bills line couldn't run block to save their lives aside from Glenn and Manuel was constantly pressured from the middle. Funny how Tyson Clabo was great as a Falcon but immediately became a bum when he got to Miami. Methinks your QB has something to do with all of the pressure he sees.

The Dolphins finished #22 in total offense the year before Tannehill arrived and were drafting #8 overall. The Bills finished #19 in total offense the year before Manuel arrived and were drafting #8 overall. I don't see how the Dolphins were "truly rock bottom" where as the Bills offense had "all the tools."

Manuel was throwing mostly to fellow rookies last season. He was often running for his life behind center. Handed off to banged up running backs. And was led by a 33 year old offensive coordinator brand new to the NFL. All the while having his progress interrupted two separate times during the season with a torn meniscus in one knee and a sprained MCL in the other.

But I do hope you're right about the offense this season.

tannehill's overrated.

nfl makes no sense to me.

ryan tannehill gets drafted 8th out of aTm with the 53rd best QB rating in college that year.

manziel falls to 22nd with the 3rd best this year (best of anyone in the draft)

the NFL treats qbs the way the NBA treats everyone. pass on good players with experience for blank slate fantasies

Tannehill came from a PRO STYLE/West Coast offense at Tex AM with an former NFL coach Mike Sherman running the offense. Same style offense ran by most NFL teams these days, with the same language and verbiage... so he could step in Day 1 on an NFL team and not be rattled. Plus he has an elite arm and is able to make all the throws and he is tall. He was NFL ready

Manziel ran a spread offense something he won't run in the NFL. He is short and has an average arm at best. Manziel is far from NFL ready

tannehill's overrated.

Watch the end of the New England, Cincinnati, and Atlanta games from last year. Those final drives he was super clutch and won the games by himself.

Watch the end of the New England, Cincinnati, and Atlanta games from last year. Those final drives he was super clutch and won the games by himself.
this is why i look at the numbers. you can cherry pick either way

in general i think people give quarterbacks too much leash to develop because of ancient history. back when high schools and colleges were so primitive, you were forced to wait a while for just about everybody.

tannehill is just good enough to not get the hook but i think in the end it will hurt the dolphins which is just fine with me. he gets more leash because he hardly played QB. it's crazy to me that an NFL qb gets more time because he has no experience. he should get less!

everyone is so scared of giving up on a QB too quick as if there are lots of examples of guys around who became great later. brees is no youngster.

Tannehill came from a PRO STYLE/West Coast offense at Tex AM with an former NFL coach Mike Sherman running the offense. Same style offense ran by most NFL teams these days, with the same language and verbiage... so he could step in Day 1 on an NFL team and not be rattled. Plus he has an elite arm and is able to make all the throws and he is tall. He was NFL ready

Manziel ran a spread offense something he won't run in the NFL. He is short and has an average arm at best. Manziel is far from NFL ready
he ran the offense but wasn't very good.

now he's in the nfl and isn't very good.

part of the problem in the NFL is the fixation with verbiage. plenty of teams have simplified and those qbs are succeeding

he ran the offense but wasn't very good.

now he's in the nfl and isn't very good.
What the heck are you talking about? His senior season at Texas AM he threw for 3700+ yards. 29 TD's and 15 INT's. With a QB Rating of 133. He also ran for 300+ yards and 4 TD's. Oh by the way his senior year he had no fumbles. Yes no "lost fumbles" but also "no fumbles" all together. I will take that kind of "not very good" any day of the week!! lol

Stern said:
What the heck are you talking about? His senior season at Texas AM he threw for 3700+ yards. 29 TD's and 15 INT's. With a QB Rating of 133. He also ran for 300+ yards and 4 TD's. Oh by the way his senior year he had no fumbles. Yes no "lost fumbles" but also "no fumbles" all together. I will take that kind of "not very good" any day of the week!! lol
133 is not very good. It's average

Pretty good for a guy who was recruited at a wideout.

The guy converted to QB midway through his college career and still put up nearly 30 TD's at a 2:! TD/Int clip in the SEC.

That's impressive.

Oh I guess the 3700 yards in 12 games isn't good either? The 2:1 TD to INT ration is bad too. The no fumbles is bad. 62% completion percentage is bad? Give me a break!

Oh I guess the 3700 yards in 12 games isn't good either? The 2:1 TD to INT ration is bad too. The no fumbles is bad. 62% completion percentage is bad? Give me a break!
Yards per attempt was 60th in the country. He just threw the ball a lot.

2:1 TD to INT ratio was 50th in the country that year.

Completion percentage WAIT FOR IT 50th in the country.

average yards per attempt, average td to int, average completion percentage, average rating

Also, I said "not very good" and "average", not "bad"

Yards per attempt was 60th in the country. He just threw the ball a lot.

2:1 TD to INT ratio was 50th in the country that year.

Completion percentage WAIT FOR IT 50th in the country.

average yards per attempt, average td to int, average completion percentage, average rating

Also, I said "not very good" and "average", not "bad"
You are lost son!

at least we all know where you're coming from with your bills posts. are you from WNY? reason i ask is because being a dolphins fan in WNY was basically pre-internet trolling
I'm not a fan of either team. But to say the kid sucked his senior year when he clearly didn't and the numbers back it up is just insane.

Whatever, if you are wearing Bills Blue and Red glasses there is no getting through to you. Have a good one living in the bubble!

Stern said:
I'm not a fan of either team. But to say the kid sucked his senior year when he clearly didn't and the numbers back it up is just insane. Whatever, if you are wearing Bills Blue and Red glasses there is no getting through to you. Have a good one living in the bubble!
I don't think I ever said he sucked his senior year

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
vegasnick

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom