Draft Thread | Page 9 | Syracusefan.com

Draft Thread

Assuming we're all chasing the Pats.

RUNNING BACK:
1) Bills and by a large margin. CJ Spiller, Fred Jackson, Bryce Brown, Anthony Dixon
2) Jets because they have Chris Johnson and a better offensive line than Miami
3) Miami

OFFENSIVE LINE:
1) Bills - Glenn LT, Wood C, Kouandijo RT, Urbik RG. Added Depth and competition via draft. Common theme is huge road graters.
2) Jets- Traditionally have a decent line.
3) Miami- Awful line last year, revamped the line only keeping Pouncey but I think O-Line is still a weakness for the Fins.

DEFENSE:
1) Jets - tie
1) Bills - tie
3) Fins

Knowshon Moreno is the NEW RB in Miami. Brandon Albert a pro bowl LT in Miami fixes a lot of problems on their o-line. And defense wise teh Fins were the 8th best scoring defense. If Miami's o-line gels they are a step ahead of the Bills and Jets

Ravens, Jets, Steelers, Dolphins were all 1 game away from the playoffs last year. The Dolphins had Geno Smith on the road in the week 17 and couldn't win a game that would have put them in the playoffs.

I get the Dolphins signed Brandon Albert, but the OL is a huge question for the Fins. Their skill position talent is okay Mike Wallace was/is on the trade block after 1 year with all that signing bonus money. Hartline is a decent slot guy, but I don't see the Fins as a playoff team next year.

Yes, god forbid a bubble team lose to a rival in week 17. That's unheard of.

The Bills and Jets knocked the phins out of the playoffs. I went to the last Bills game, it was like watching the G Town vs SU 39 point game. Awful.

The O line is still the weak point of the offense, but it's only improving. Wallace actually performed well last year, unfortunately Tannehill could not connect with him on the deep ball. He often under threw it to Wallace, who is even fast than Ryan thought he was.

After an off season of work I expect Tannehill and Wallace to be more on point. As for Hartline? Two straight years over 1,000 years receiving. He's a better receiver than the Bills or Jets have had in years.

With all that said, things are lining up to be very exciting in the AFC East.

Gino, EJ and Ryan all have to prove themselves this year.

Knowshon Moreno is the NEW RB in Miami. Brandon Albert a pro bowl LT in Miami fixes a lot of problems on their o-line. And defense wise teh Fins were the 8th best scoring defense. If Miami's o-line gels they are a step ahead of the Bills and Jets
Moreno isn't ish compared to the Bills backs or Chris Johnson plus the dude will probably get injured by Calvin Pryor the first time the Fins and Jets play.

Their offensive line could be solid with Albert Pouncey and James but they need James to be really good.

I'm definitely a Bills homer and I get it that we aren't going to be talked about in the same vein as the Fins and Jets until we prove we should be but I see a team that if you looked at all 4 teams outside of QB, might be the most talented.

Assuming we're all chasing the Pats.

QUARTERBACK:
Tannehill vs Manuel vs Geno/Vick - QB is a question mark for all these teams. I'd say going into the season Tannehill has shown more flash than Geno or EJ because he's been in the league longer so edge Miami. Vick gives some depth in case Geno flames out so next up is the Jets. EJ and the Bills 3rd but only because EJ is an unknown. I'd say Vick is a better fall back option if Geno sucks or gets hurt than Thad (even though Thad beat Miami twice last year)
1) Miami - QB with experience
2) Jets- Depth
3) Bills-Unknown

RUNNING BACK:
1) Bills and by a large margin. CJ Spiller, Fred Jackson, Bryce Brown, Anthony Dixon
2) Jets because they have Chris Johnson and a better offensive line than Miami
3) Miami

WIDE RECEIVERS:
1) Bills - Watkins, Williams, Woods, Goodwin
2) Dolphins -Wallace, Gibson, Hartline
3) Jets- Decker and some mid round WRs

TIGHT END:
1) Miami - Clay
2) Jets - Amaro
3) Bills -Chandler

OFFENSIVE LINE:
1) Bills - Glenn LT, Wood C, Kouandijo RT, Urbik RG. Added Depth and competition via draft. Common theme is huge road graters.
2) Jets- Traditionally have a decent line.
3) Miami- Awful line last year, revamped the line only keeping Pouncey but I think O-Line is still a weakness for the Fins.

DEFENSE:
1) Jets - tie
1) Bills - tie
3) Fins

Moreno and Miller are a good pair at RB, they have an improved, still be it unproven, offensive line this year and could be dangerous with the complement of a great passing game threat.

How could you say Watkins (R), Woods (decent), Williams (huge ?) and Goodwin are better than Wallace (proven deep threat and play maker), Hartline (2 years and running 1000 yard receiver), and Gibson.

Offensive line should be:
Bills
Jets

Dolphins. :(

Defense, all three teams are young, talented and improving.

I'd put the Bills first and the Jets/Dolphins tied 2nd. Jets need a big year out of Dee Millner.

Edit: Despite experience, Tannehill is leaps and bounds the better QB than Smith or Manuel.

Moreno and Miller are a good pair at RB, they have an improved, still be it unproven, offensive line this year and could be dangerous with the complement of a great passing game threat.

How could you say Watkins (R), Woods (decent), Williams (huge ?) and Goodwin are better than Wallace (proven deep threat and play maker), Hartline (2 years and running 1000 yard receiver), and Gibson.

Offensive line should be:
Bills
Jets

Dolphins. :(

Defense, all three teams are young, talented and improving.

I'd put the Bills first and the Jets/Dolphins tied 2nd. Jets need a big year out of Dee Millner.

Edit: Despite experience, Tannehill is leaps and bounds the better QB than Smith or Manuel.
Proven WRs.. Yes the Dolphins have that but potential, I don't think too many people would take Miami's over Buffalo's.

Tannehill is more proven but isn't leaps and bounds better that EJ or Geno. EJ and Geno are unknowns and who knows if Tannehill will stop hearing footsteps when he drops back.

I agree that all the defenses in the East are good. The reason why Buffalo presents more of a problem to Miami than the Jets or Pats is because of our pass rush. Jets and Pats have good defenses but aren't pass rushing defenses in the mold of Buffalo. Our defensive strength is your offensive weakness.

Proven WRs.. Yes the Dolphins have that but potential, I don't think too many people would take Miami's over Buffalo's.

Tannehill is more proven but isn't leaps and bounds better that EJ or Geno. EJ and Geno are unknowns and who knows if Tannehill will stop hearing footsteps when he drops back.

I agree that all the defenses in the East are good. The reason why Buffalo presents more of a problem to Miami than the Jets or Pats is because of our pass rush. Jets and Pats have good defenses but aren't pass rushing defenses in the mold of Buffalo. Our defensive strength is your offensive weakness.

The potential's there in Miami between the possible Tannehill-Wallace connection and then Landry coming in from LSU. That was my favorite dolphins pick of the draft. Charles Clay also has a chance to build on a breakout year at QB.

Woods, Williams and Watkins could end up producing a lot of W's though. That's a crazy athletic WR core.

Tannehill had a great year last year but he got pretty badly banged up and it showed in the last 3 games of the year. The fact that he made it more than half that game at Ralph Wilson was incredible. I'm fully invested in Tannehill being the next "guy" at Miami.

The one position I'm worried about most for Miami is not the OL. It's the linebackers. Ellerbe and Wheeler were AWFUL last year. I hope they improve and earn the money they're demanding. I'm missing the hell out of Dansby right now.

The potential's there in Miami between the possible Tannehill-Wallace connection and then Landry coming in from LSU. That was my favorite dolphins pick of the draft. Charles Clay also has a chance to build on a breakout year at QB.

Woods, Williams and Watkins could end up producing a lot of W's though. That's a crazy athletic WR core.

Tannehill had a great year last year but he got pretty badly banged up and it showed in the last 3 games of the year. The fact that he made it more than half that game at Ralph Wilson was incredible. I'm fully invested in Tannehill being the next "guy" at Miami.

The one position I'm worried about most for Miami is not the OL. It's the linebackers. Ellerbe and Wheeler were AWFUL last year. I hope they improve and earn the money they're demanding. I'm missing the hell out of Dansby right now.
Lol, I almost felt bad watching that game. That was ridiculous.

I think the Jets are the 2nd best team in the AFC East. They finished 2nd last year with not bad QB play but atrocious QB play from Geno Smith.

The Jets now have Michael Vick, 2nd year Geno Smith and their defense is still solid. The Fins QB play isn't top half yet, but Tannehill has potential. The Fins need their OL to improve drastically and they need their defense to be consistent. Bills are the wild card I could see them surprising and finishing 2nd or finishing 4th. They have talent, but their schedule is crazy hard Pats, Jets, Fins x2, AFC West 3 playoff teams, NFC North 3 playoffish teams improved Houston Texans team, Cleveland that is hard and if they go 8-8 that would be successful.

I genuinely think the Bills could take the East this year. It all depends on whether EJ can truly fit into such a fast offense.

I think the Pats, with exception to their D, will be disappointing this year. The Brady era is ending.

Pats offense will be fine Thompkins, Dobson, Amendola, Edelman are a good WR core. Gronkowski may miss a couple of games, but he is a difference maker. The Pats OL is solid with 2 healthy tackles who are top 10 in their positions, one of the top Gs and new talent for the OL.

The Pats D is going to be really good now that Mayo and Wilfork will be healthy. Browner and Revis are stud CBs McCourty/Ryan at S. LB core with Mayo, Hightower, Collins are is young and good.

Pats should go 12-4 this year barring an injury to Brady. Split w/Jets, sweep Bills/Fins, beat Lions/Bears/Vikings. lose to Packers, beat Raiders/Broncos, split Chargers/Chiefs, lose to Colts, beat Bengals.

Pats offense will be fine Thompkins, Dobson, Amendola, Edelman are a good WR core. Gronkowski may miss a couple of games, but he is a difference maker. The Pats OL is solid with 2 healthy tackles who are top 10 in their positions, one of the top Gs and new talent for the OL.

The Pats D is going to be really good now that Mayo and Wilfork will be healthy. Browner and Revis are stud CBs McCourty/Ryan at S. LB core with Mayo, Hightower, Collins are is young and good.

Pats should go 12-4 this year barring an injury to Brady. Split w/Jets, sweep Bills/Fins, beat Lions/Bears/Vikings. lose to Packers, beat Raiders/Broncos, split Chargers/Chiefs, lose to Colts, beat Bengals.

Patriots season, in my opinion, rests in Gronk's recovery.

They aren't the same team they were years ago, they have a solid D but it's not near lockdown. In my opinion the AFC East is as up for grabs as it's been in a decade or 2.

Patriots season, in my opinion, rests in Gronk's recovery.

They aren't the same team they were years ago, they have a solid D but it's not near lockdown. In my opinion the AFC East is as up for grabs as it's been in a decade or 2.
Was it you or someone else that said the exact same thing last year, when a team with no Gronk, Mayo, Wilfork, and other key players for short spells made the AFC Championship game...

As long as Belichick and Brady are there the Pats are going to be head and shoulders above the rest.

Was it you or someone else that said the exact same thing last year, when a team with no Gronk, Mayo, Wilfork, and other key players for short spells made the AFC Championship game...

As long as Belichick and Brady are there the Pats are going to be head and shoulders above the rest.

Wasn't me.

All I'm saying is the gaps closing. Brady's getting older and the offense around him isn't improving. The bills, jets and phins are all respectively improving on both sides of the ball.

I'm impressed with the Pats defense but it's not close to a brick wall yet.

Gronk has been coming back for 2 seasons. I wouldn't be surprised to see him out of the league in another 2.

Wasn't me.

All I'm saying is the gaps closing. Brady's getting older and the offense around him isn't improving. The bills, jets and phins are all respectively improving on both sides of the ball.

I'm impressed with the Pats defense but it's not close to a brick wall yet.
The Patriots have improved as well. Their biggest weakness was having a shutdown corner. Talib was good, but he isn't as good as Revis Island and the Patriots brand got Talib WAY OVERPAID by the Broncos. I liked Talib and he was good, but his contract is crazy and he has durability issues. Tampa Bay paid for Revis recovery year last year and Patriots added a top 3 CB shutdown corner for their defense and as a bonus Brandon Browner from that Legion of Boom defense is going to be lined up on the other side. The Pats have Denard and Arrington as their 3rd and 4th best CBs. Chandler Jones has given them double digit sacks from the edge and LB core has really good young legs in Jamie Collins, Dont'a Hightower and Pro Bowler Jared Mayo. This Patriots defense should be top 10 at worst.

Pats offense is fine the WR core was young last year and it improved over the season. Kembrell Thompkin, Aaron Dobson, Josh Boyce all developed last year. Danny Amendola had an entire year to get on the same page as Brady, and Julian Edelman showed he can replace Wes Welker's production. The Pats were without Gronk for the first 6 games and were okay offensively. Then when he came back the Pats were the top offense until he got hurt. Gronk's injuries before last year's were all flukes. He will be out of the league in 3 years, but next year he will still be a stud and is the best TE as I consider Jimmy Graham a glorified WR. I don't get how you can the say offense hasn't improved. Last year was their rebuilding season and they still were productive. The weapons are all more seasoned and aren't bums. The Pats have 11-5 to 13-3 talent next season.

I don't see it.
tannehill's overrated.

nfl makes no sense to me.

ryan tannehill gets drafted 8th out of aTm with the 53rd best QB rating in college that year.

manziel falls to 22nd with the 3rd best this year (best of anyone in the draft)

the NFL treats qbs the way the NBA treats everyone. pass on good players with experience for blank slate fantasies

I dont mind Tannehill but if that Offensive Line isn't drastically improved this year, I think he could be permanently broken. He started hearing footsteps last year and got pretty beat up. They cant let that happen to him again.

As far as Manziel goes, hes boom or bust. I think he has top 5 bust potential out of everyone in the first round...but he could end up being great. One thing is for sure, he might want to push for Hoyer to start this year since apparantly Cleveland doesnt think their QB's need anyone to throw to.

I don't see it.

Must not watch many dolphins games.

Edit: The fact that Tannehill led the dolphins to a near playoff berth despite one of the worst Offensive lines in NFL history, the Jonathan Martin bs and a complete collapse in the defensive linebacker core is very impressive.

Given the Bills offensive line and defense, Tannehill would've led that team to the playoffs.

Must not watch many dolphins games.

Edit: The fact that Tannehill led the dolphins to a near playoff berth despite one of the worst Offensive lines in NFL history, the Jonathan Martin bs and a complete collapse in the defensive linebacker core is very impressive.

Given the Bills offensive line and defense, Tannehill would've led that team to the playoffs.
i watch bills dolphins games and he's stunk. hard for me to believe that it's because the bills are so good because they suck too. i hate football

i watch bills dolphins games and he's stunk. hard for me to believe that it's because the bills are so good because they suck too. i hate football
The Dolphins O Line gave up over 55 sacks last year. I was at the bills dolphins game. It was cold, raining and miserable. When your QB is that banged up against a dangerous pass rush like that, it's hard not to suck.

Watch Tannehill's games dueling against Tom Brady, Andrew Luck, Matt Ryan, Big Ben, Andy Dalton and Russel Wilson.

Then tell me he's unimpressive.

I'm more impressed by his games against the top QBs than his disappointments against Buff and NYJ. Rivalries are never easy wins.

The Dolphins O Line gave up over 55 sacks last year. I was at the bills dolphins game. It was cold, raining and miserable. When your QB is that banged up against a dangerous pass rush like that, it's hard not to suck.

Watch Tannehill's games dueling against Tom Brady, Andrew Luck, Matt Ryan, Big Ben, Andy Dalton and Russel Wilson.

Then tell me he's unimpressive.

I'm more impressed by his games against the top QBs than his disappointments against Buff and NYJ. Rivalries are never easy wins.
Tannehill

Rookie: 76.1 passer rating, ranked 27th out of 32 QB's
Sophomore: 81.7 passer rating, ranked 22nd out of 33 QB's

Manuel

Rookie: 77.7 passer rating, ranked 26th out of 33 QB's
Sophomore: ????

I think Tannehill showed improvement in 2013 and I think he could develop into a good QB as long as he keeps improving and receives good coaching.

But "leaps and bounds better"? Come on.

Tannehill

Rookie: 76.1 passer rating, ranked 27th out of 32 QB's
Sophomore: 81.7 passer rating, ranked 22nd out of 33 QB's

Manuel

Rookie: 77.7 passer rating, ranked 26th out of 33 QB's
Sophomore: ????

I think Tannehill showed improvement in 2013 and I think he could develop into a good QB as long as he keeps improving and receives good coaching.

But "leaps and bounds better"? Come on.

How're you going to tell me that QBR has any relevance when comparing these two? Tannehill didn't have half the offensive line that EJ had, nor the running game.

Tannehill came to a Dolphins team that was truly rock bottom. EJ came to a Bills offense with all the tools but no QB.

You can argue all day long about who will be best amongst the Bills, Jets, or Fins.

Bottom line - it will be the team whose young QB steps up the most.

As a Jet fan, I think Geno has solid upside. Last year he had freakin nobody to throw to. This year he will have Decker as a sure thing. Kerley is also solid if not spectacular. Chris Johnson should provide solid help as well. I would be shocked if Hill does anything other than continue to flame out. Man, I still remember that draft - I wanted Jeffrey in that spot. What on earth do some of these so called talent scouts look at - the one bomb Hill caught in four years - Lam Jone redeaux - yech ? If Amaro, and one of the three wideouts they drafted can get the job done, I would expect Geno to take a big step. At least this year he will have a chance unless the whole draft goes up in flames. Just as an FYI, I called Saunders earlier in this thread, I am thrilled the Jets got him - kid can play even at his size.

I think Bills really hurt themselves with that trade. Gave up wayyy too much IMHO. Is Watkins really THAT much better than Ebron or Beckham (both there at #9) for that matter ? Or they could hav egiven up less to trade up for Evans at a lower draft slot.

Manuel looked good to me last season - I see a lot of wars upcoming between Geno and himself. I think one of them will eventually become a Top Ten QB - which one - too early to say. As for Tannenhill, his wife has all of the upside in the family. I really don't see him as more than a middle of the road QB.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
vegasnick

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom