Draft Thread | Page 8 | Syracusefan.com

Draft Thread

LOVE the Cockrell pick for Buffalo. This DB stood out every time I watched Duke.

Anyone else hear the rumor that Buffalo traded a pick for Bryce Brown?

They did. 4th rounder next year. As a Philly fan, Brown was both a tease and a disappointment. While he fit well in the Kelly offense, he had a serious fumbling problem. If he could ever fix that, he'd be a real good addition.

DeAnthony Thomas has Philly written all over him without Bryce Brown on the Eagles. Chip Kelly got him to go Oregon over USC.

DeAnthony Thomas has Philly written all over him without Bryce Brown on the Eagles. Chip Kelly got him to go Oregon over USC.

They got Darren Sproles. One reason Brown was available.

The fact Tom Savage went ahead of AJ McCarron and Zack Mettenberg shows how dumb the evaluating system is. Savage holds the ball the and takes sacks when pressured. I don't see an NFL QB when I see him. He has the height and look, but doesn't ooze NFL QB.

Alsacs said:
The fact Tom Savage went ahead of AJ McCarron and Zack Mettenberg shows how dumb the evaluating system is. Savage holds the ball the and takes sacks when pressured. I don't see an NFL QB when I see him. He has the height and look, but doesn't ooze NFL QB.

McCarron was an entitled dick in the team interviews and Mettenberg had multiple off field issues including at the combine and he's had a torn ACL. Since there's no guarantees with any of these kids, they went with the safer guy.

And it's pretty funny how the guy who said Marrone was meathead who sucked and Nassib could never be any good is such an expert on judging if the same coaches can't coach up Manuel. It was pretty remarkable how much better Nassib did with three healthy and decent, not great WR's and a solid OL.

I never said either one of those things. Got me confused with someone else. I wasn't Marrone's biggest fan but I never called him a "meathead" and said he "sucked." And I never said bad things about Nassib when he was at SU. Just said the Giants will probably cut him this offseason.

Get the facts straight junior

Safe to say its put up or shut up time for EJ this year.

Watkins-Williams-Woods-Goodwin-Chandler

Spiller-Brown-FJax

An offensive line that looks like the Monstars from Space Jam.

Tannehill with a revamped offensive line and Wallace, Gibson, Hartline, Clay and Landry will make for a potent offense if Moreno and Miller can pull decent weight from the backfield.

The Phins defense will be bend don't break as always with a top 3 CB in Brent Grimes...as well as Wake, Shelby, Vernon, Jordan and other solid players.

Mel Kiper gave the Bills the 2nd worst Draft grade out of the entire NFL. Kiper gave them a C-. His reasoning was simple, they gave up way too much for Watkins and they didn't address tight end or safety at all.

Only the Colts had a worse grade with a D+

Mel Kiper gave the Bills the 2nd worst Draft grade out of the entire NFL. Kiper gave them a C-. His reasoning was simple, they gave up way too much for Watkins and they didn't address tight end or safety at all.

Draft grades are so stupid. Not one of these kids has to played a snap in the league.

If the Bills don't make the playoffs next year the trade is #9 and say #16 for #4 that isn't good value. I get the Bills wanted a playmaker, but I didn't see them as 1 playmaker from being a playoff team. Their QB needs to improve which he should from his rookie year to 2nd year, but I don't see the Bills as better than the Broncos, Patriots, Colts, Bengals, Ravens, Chargers and then their are still the Steelers, Dolphins, Jets, Chiefs.

The Dolphins will make the playoffs this year.

I bet all my T's on it.

Which is just his philosophy vs Whaleys.

Bills thought Watkins was 10x the playmaker Ebron is so they gave up a lot more to take him.

Bills could have taken Amaro but I don't think he's as good as ASJ who was gone by the time the Bills drafted. The Bills opted to go with Cyrus Kouandijo to solidify the right side of the line rather than take Amaro. The Bills O-Line philosophy is clear now, they let Levitre walk as a smaller LG and now have a gigantic o-line with depth. They felt a monster O-Line was a better investment this year than Amaro.

What safety were the Bills supposed to take? After the 1st 2 rounds their wasn't much there. This was a weak draft for safeties. Bills opted to add to their CB's with Cockrell and FA Cory Graham. They didn't get shredded last year in certain games bc Byrd was injured, it was because they didn't have any CB depth after Gilmore and McKelvin. Now they have Robey, Graham, Brooks, Cockrell. Aaron Williams is a good safety, they need to figure out Byrd's spot but Safety wasn't an issue when Byrd was out...run defense (Spikes, Preston Brown) was and as I outlined earlier DB.

I guess if we drafted Manziel we'd get a good grade even though he has no one to throw the ball to? Kiper is a gimmick and he doesn't have much credibility. I've been hard on Buffalos drafting before Whaley with guys like Maybin over Orakpo, random trade up for TJ Graham etc but Whaley, IMO, has dominated these last two drafts.

If the Bills don't make the playoffs next year the trade is #9 and say #16 for #4 that isn't good value. I get the Bills wanted a playmaker, but I didn't see them as 1 playmaker from being a playoff team. Their QB needs to improve which he should from his rookie year to 2nd year, but I don't see the Bills as better than the Broncos, Patriots, Colts, Bengals, Ravens, Chargers and then their are still the Steelers, Dolphins, Jets, Chiefs.
The Bills are tired of drafting 8-12. After the top 5 the drop off is usually significant. I'm good with it.

The Bills are tired of drafting 8-12. After the top 5 the drop off is usually significant. I'm good with it.
The Darius pick at #3 over AJ Green and Patrick Peterson(who I thought was the best prospect in the entire draft that year) didn't turn out good. The 8th thru 12th picks are all good. I would only trade an extra 1st round pick for a QB. WRs are useful, but QBs/CBs/DEs/LTs are all more valuable. I honestly want to give the Bills the benefit of the doubt, but its obvious that Whaley/Marrone themselves know they are on the clock and that is why they made the move, but unless Sammy Watkins puts up huge numbers next year then it won't matter for Whaley/Marrone.

Which is just his philosophy vs Whaleys.

Bills thought Watkins was 10x the playmaker Ebron is so they gave up a lot more to take him.

Bills could have taken Amaro but I don't think he's as good as ASJ who was gone by the time the Bills drafted. The Bills opted to go with Cyrus Kouandijo to solidify the right side of the line rather than take Amaro. The Bills O-Line philosophy is clear now, they let Levitre walk as a smaller LG and now have a gigantic o-line with depth. They felt a monster O-Line was a better investment this year than Amaro.

What safety were the Bills supposed to take? After the 1st 2 rounds their wasn't much there. This was a weak draft for safeties. Bills opted to add to their CB's with Cockrell and FA Cory Graham. They didn't get shredded last year in certain games bc Byrd was injured, it was because they didn't have any CB depth after Gilmore and McKelvin. Now they have Robey, Graham, Brooks, Cockrell. Aaron Williams is a good safety, they need to figure out Byrd's spot but Safety wasn't an issue when Byrd was out...run defense (Spikes, Preston Brown) was and as I outlined earlier DB.

I guess if we drafted Manziel we'd get a good grade even though he has no one to throw the ball to? Kiper is a gimmick and he doesn't have much credibility. I've been hard on Buffalos drafting before Whaley with guys like Maybin over Orakpo, random trade up for TJ Graham etc but Whaley, IMO, has dominated these last two drafts.

I was with you until you reminded me of the Aaron Maybin pick. Now I think I'm going to be sick!

The Darius pick at #3 over AJ Green and Patrick Peterson(who I thought was the best prospect in the entire draft that year) didn't turn out good. The 8th thru 12th picks are all good. I would only trade an extra 1st round pick for a QB. WRs are useful, but QBs/CBs/DEs/LTs are all more valuable. I honestly want to give the Bills the benefit of the doubt, but its obvious that Whaley/Marrone themselves know they are on the clock and that is why they made the move, but unless Sammy Watkins puts up huge numbers next year then it won't matter for Whaley/Marrone.
I don't think Watkins needs to put up huge numbers. They spent 3 picks and brought in another O-lineman for a reason. They want a mammoth road grater offensive line. They have 4 running backs in CJ, FJax, Bryce Brown, Dixon. I think they plan on running it down people's throats bringing the safeties up and creating big play opportunities for Watkins, Woods, Williams and Goodwin. Chandler will just be the safety blanket TE.

The defense should still be an upper echelon unit that will keep them in every game.

I don't think Watkins needs to put up huge numbers. They spent 3 picks and brought in another O-lineman for a reason. They want a mammoth road grater offensive line. They have 4 running backs in CJ, FJax, Bryce Brown, Dixon. I think they plan on running it down people's throats bringing the safeties up and creating big play opportunities for Watkins, Woods, Williams and Goodwin. Chandler will just be the safety blanket TE.

The defense should still be an upper echelon unit that will keep them in every game.
The Patriots and Jets both IMO have better defenses next season than Buffalo
NYJ-Wilkerson, Richardson,Coples, Pace, and secondary that will be question mark
New England- C. Jones, Ninkovich, Wilfork, Mayo, Collins and real improved secondary Revis, Browner, Arrington, Ryan, McCourty

The Bills offense will be improved, but the AFC East is still New England and New York Jets. Trueblue can spew the Dolphins, but I don't them anymore next year the Incognito/Martin crap will still be around and they haven't improved much in FA or the draft.

I see the Patriots as a 11-13 win team, Jets 8-10 win team, Bills 7-9 win team, Dolphins 6-8 win team.

NYJ-Wilkerson, Richardson,Coples, Pace, and secondary that will be question mark
New England- C. Jones, Ninkovich, Wilfork, Mayo, Collins and real improved secondary Revis, Browner, Arrington, Ryan, McCourty

The Bills offense will be improved, but the AFC East is still New England and New York Jets. Trueblue can spew the Dolphins, but I don't them anymore next year the Incognito/Martin crap will still be around and they haven't improved much in FA or the draft.

I see the Patriots as a 11-13 win team, Jets 8-10 win team, Bills 7-9 win team, Dolphins 6-8 win team.

You are way off on the Dolphins, IMO.

Pats definitely improved their defense but at some point, their bad drafts where they think they're outsmarting everyone will catch up to them. Won't be this year as Brady is still good but it's a house of cards built on Brady allowing them to be crowned geniuses by drafting in a way no one understands but calls genius bc Brady makes Bellichek look brilliant.

Pats are the favorite to win the division.

After them I think the Bills/Jets/Fins are all on equal footing as WC contenders.

I like the Jets defense but you can't say they are without a doubt better than Buffalo's defense when Buffalo had a top 5 pass defense and addressed the run defense issues by revamping their linebacker unit. They will have a very stout run defense but their pass defense is suspect as they don't pressure the QB and have Milliner and a rookie McDougle as there DB linchpins. Pryor is a nice safety but is a run thumper who's suspect in coverage. They have to face Brady 2x and the Bills WRs 2x. Buffalo split with the Jets last year and the game they lost was bc our 5th DB Just Rogers had to play all game due to injury and gave up about 300 yards by himself. He's no longer on the team.

The Dolphins blew their load last year in FA and had a bizarre draft. Not going to worry about them although I'd suspect until Buffalo stops finishing last in the AFCE, everyone else thinks the same about the Bills.

Pats definitely improved their defense but at some point, their bad drafts where they think they're outsmarting everyone will catch up to them. Won't be this year as Brady is still good but it's a house of cards built on Brady allowing them to be crowned geniuses by drafting in a way no one understands but calls genius bc Brady makes Bellichek look brilliant.

Pats are the favorite to win the division.

After them I think the Bills/Jets/Fins are all on equal footing as WC contenders.

I like the Jets defense but you can't say they are without a doubt better than Buffalo's defense when Buffalo had a top 5 pass defense and addressed the run defense issues by revamping their linebacker unit. They will have a very stout run defense but their pass defense is suspect as they don't pressure the QB and have Milliner and a rookie McDougle as there DB linchpins. Pryor is a nice safety but is a run thumper who's suspect in coverage. They have to face Brady 2x and the Bills WRs 2x. Buffalo split with the Jets last year and the game they lost was bc our 5th DB Just Rogers had to play all game due to injury and gave up about 300 yards by himself. He's no longer on the team.

The Dolphins blew their load last year in FA and had a bizarre draft. Not going to worry about them although I'd suspect until Buffalo stops finishing last in the AFCE, everyone else thinks the same about the Bills.

Belichick has drafted well on defense the previous 2 drafts before this one Chandler Jones, Dont'a Hightower, Logan Ryan, Alfonzo Denard, Jamie Collins, Duron Harmon have come into their own and infused a lot of talent on the Patriots defense. Belichick finally rebuilt the defense, but last year Talib, Wilfork, Mayo were all out before or during the AFC title game. The Pats took a gamble on Dominique Easley who if didn't get hurt would have been a top 15 pick. Seattle was going to take at 32nd pick if New England didn't take Easley.

The Patriots offense will be improved thanks to the development of Dobson, Boyce, Thompkins in the 2nd seasons, Edelman, and Amendola for the slot and Gronkowski is the best TE when healthy and he should be back during the season, and the Patriots have a stable of RBs good enough to win, and they spent this year's draft fixing their biggest weakness no depth on the interior OL. The Pats have 2 stud tackles Nate Soldier and Sebastian Vollmer and pro Bowl LG Logan Mankins the C and RG positions should be a lot more solid this season and Patriots barring injuries should be the best team in the AFC or 2nd depending on Denver's schedule.

I think the Jets are the 2nd best team and Bills are 3rd and Fins are 4th.

The dolphins were 1 game from the playoffs last season playing without Brandon Gibson who was arguably there best receiver up until his injury.

The dolphins dropped the trouble makers from the line, except Pouncey, and revamped it with younger talent. Tannehill has just as good, if not a better opportunity to have a career season as EJ does.

Tannehill, Moreno, Wallace, Gibson, Hartline, Charles Clay etc.

vs.

Manuel, Jax, Spiller, Woods, Watkins and Scott Chandler

I think the dolphins have far and away the more impressive, more proven offense.

Cameron Wake is poised to come back from a mediocre year alongside Vernon, Starks and the rest of the line.

Dion Jordan will be used extensively more this year and I'll be very surprised if he wasn't an immediate positive impact.

Don't forget past pro bowlers Reshad Jones and Brent Grimes in the backfield with young taken Will Davis and Jamar Taylor.

The Dolphins were stockpiling young exciting talent before the Patriots and Bills made it cool.

The dolphins were 1 game from the playoffs last season playing without Brandon Gibson who was arguably there best receiver up until his injury.

The dolphins dropped the trouble makers from the line, except Pouncey, and revamped it with younger talent. Tannehill has just as good, if not a better opportunity to have a career season as EJ does.

vs.

I think the dolphins have far and away the more impressive, more proven offense.

Cameron Wake is poised to come back from a mediocre year alongside Vernon, Starks and the rest of the line.

Dion Jordan will be used extensively more this year and I'll be very surprised if he wasn't an immediate positive impact.

Don't forget past pro bowlers Reshad Jones and Brent Grimes in the backfield with young taken Will Davis and Jamar Taylor.

The Dolphins were stockpiling young exciting talent before the Patriots and Bills made it cool.
Ravens, Jets, Steelers, Dolphins were all 1 game away from the playoffs last year. The Dolphins had Geno Smith on the road in the week 17 and couldn't win a game that would have put them in the playoffs.

I get the Dolphins signed Brandon Albert, but the OL is a huge question for the Fins. Their skill position talent is okay Mike Wallace was/is on the trade block after 1 year with all that signing bonus money. Hartline is a decent slot guy, but I don't see the Fins as a playoff team next year.

vs.

Assuming we're all chasing the Pats.

QUARTERBACK:
Tannehill vs Manuel vs Geno/Vick - QB is a question mark for all these teams. I'd say going into the season Tannehill has shown more flash than Geno or EJ because he's been in the league longer so edge Miami. Vick gives some depth in case Geno flames out so next up is the Jets. EJ and the Bills 3rd but only because EJ is an unknown. I'd say Vick is a better fall back option if Geno sucks or gets hurt than Thad (even though Thad beat Miami twice last year)
1) Miami - QB with experience
2) Jets- Depth
3) Bills-Unknown

RUNNING BACK:
1) Bills and by a large margin. CJ Spiller, Fred Jackson, Bryce Brown, Anthony Dixon
2) Jets because they have Chris Johnson and a better offensive line than Miami
3) Miami

WIDE RECEIVERS:
1) Bills - Watkins, Williams, Woods, Goodwin
2) Dolphins -Wallace, Gibson, Hartline
3) Jets- Decker and some mid round WRs

TIGHT END:
1) Miami - Clay
2) Jets - Amaro
3) Bills -Chandler

OFFENSIVE LINE:
1) Bills - Glenn LT, Wood C, Kouandijo RT, Urbik RG. Added Depth and competition via draft. Common theme is huge road graters.
2) Jets- Traditionally have a decent line.
3) Miami- Awful line last year, revamped the line only keeping Pouncey but I think O-Line is still a weakness for the Fins.

DEFENSE:
1) Jets - tie
1) Bills - tie
3) Fins

They aint' gotta worry about drafting 1-32 next year!

Sammy Watkins isn't Calvin Johnson or AJ Green. They gave up way too much

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
vegasnick

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom