Duke Game Thread... | Page 10 | Syracusefan.com

Duke Game Thread...

Offense looked multi dimensionzl yesterday. . Spacing n ball movement much improved. Both attack n mids shined , feisty Solomon occupied n Bomberry feasted. Liked seeing Refhuss up top at times pairing his speed with Curry who is going to be the next mid stud. Lipka as well when he returns. Carlin had a really nice game with a rip n beautiful assist. Dearth had one n looks ready to break out. Mellen defended Guterin great n that Duke vet makes a really stupid errant pass on the 2 min non releasable that could have been back breaker. Young Cuse keeps composure on road and plays sixty minutes Goes on to win 4th qtr 4-2 on the back of 13-5 edge in gbs with Martin 5-5 faceoffs . This Cuse team will be one to be reckoned with in 19.

As an aside, I believe we clinched a spot in the ACCT this weekend. We are 2-0, so the worst we can finish is 2-2. UVa is 0-2, so the best they can finish is 2-2, and we own the head-to-head tiebreaker. No matter what anyone else does, we can't finish in 5th place.

As an aside, I believe we clinched a spot in the ACCT this weekend. We are 2-0, so the worst we can finish is 2-2. UVa is 0-2, so the best they can finish is 2-2, and we own the head-to-head tiebreaker. No matter what anyone else does, we can't finish in 5th place.

I think technically there is a way we could be 2-2 with UVA and they could get in over us as I think head to head result when tied isnt the first tiebreaker. Its a weird rule I think extreme looked up a few years ago

I think technically there is a way we could be 2-2 with UVA and they could get in over us as I think head to head result when tied isnt the first tiebreaker. Its a weird rule I think extreme looked up a few years ago
Jer, what's your take on this win? I've been a bystander this year with the team being so young, the blowout losses, etc. But a win on the road at #3 Duke is hard to ignore even for us doubters. Are we still bad (occasional giant-killers) or improving with a chance to be decent?

Actually, I was just thinking of a 2-way tie. As recently as 2016, we were tied with Duke for 3rd, but since we lost to them in the regualr season, we were the 4th seed in the ACCT. The first tie-break with only two teams involved is head-to-head.

4-0

Offense looked multi dimensionzl yesterday. . Spacing n ball movement much improved. Both attack n mids shined , feisty Solomon occupied n Bomberry feasted. Liked seeing Refhuss up top at times pairing his speed with Curry who is going to be the next mid stud. Lipka as well when he returns. Carlin had a really nice game with a rip n beautiful assist. Dearth had one n looks ready to break out. Mellen defended Guterin great n that Duke vet makes a really stupid errant pass on the 2 min non releasable that could have been back breaker. Young Cuse keeps composure on road and plays sixty minutes Goes on to win 4th qtr 4-2 on the back of 13-5 edge in gbs with Martin 5-5 faceoffs . This Cuse team will be one to be reckoned with in 19.

The Good, the bad and the rotten: The good - much to talk about. Martin turned the face off into SU jackals after elands. Somehow the wings took flight and SU owned the ball when we needed it most. Solomon busting through double long sticks at a crucial time. Constant ssdm subs. I think even Desko was in uniform with a shortie by the end of the game. This was ssdm by committee. None of them played real well, but all played doggedly and at times did the job. Bomberry got the ball in his scoring positions. He finished. I think one factor was the determined middie dodging which forced some fatal slides. Rehfuss found ways to attack effectively. Maybe the kids did grow up a bit as Desko summarized. I think I'll wait for a while on that one. Finally, lots of LSMs fought hard for every gb. Kennedy grabbed a couple crucial ones and then flipped the ball out of his stick. I still love the way he plays. He doesn't back down. I commend the coaches for using so many of the players in several positions. My cynical side warns me that the coaches may consider this year a kind of spring training for 19. So be it. Let em play. Kudos to the long stick defenders for the job they did on Guterding who is as good an attack as you can find.

The bad: remember this recurring nightmare. Duke middie beats ssdm out front heading down the left lane, from each side, the crease and the GLE, an SU long stick daintily moves toward the Duke middie, SU long sticks cross, Duke middie walks through the gauntlet and scores. I cannot count the number of times it happened. Those weren't slides they were invitations to the goal. Here, come right in. Indecisive slides and confused d men almost did SU in. I don't need to add the inexplicable TOs. However, there were far fewer than usual.

The rotten: giving up 14 goals. I just don't like it.

Last edited:
2-0 on the road (and overall) in the ACC. Reasonable to figure we will do no worse than 1-1 in the 2 remaining games putting us in a position for a #1 seed.

Curry looked great out there against Duke. I think that you will see him back on the first-line mid this weekend against Notre Dame. He was absolutely TOASTING Puke SSDM's, giving them a taste of their own medicine. There is a ton of talent on offense, just need to take care of the ball and play smart. Love that we are in the drivers seat in the ACC!

Last thing of note, Mellen is just a stud. Incredible 1-on-1 defender, as a younger fan, I don't know if I've ever seen a player that good at 1-on-1 defending. Kennedy might be the best LSM on the wing we have had since the great Joel White!

The Good, the bad and the rotten: The good - much to talk about. Martin turned the face off into SU jackals after elands. Somehow the wings took flight and SU owned the ball when we needed it most. Solomon busting through double long sticks at a crucial time. Constant ssdm subs. I think even Desko was in uniform with a shortie by the end of the game. This was ssdm by committee. None of them played real well, but all played doggedly and at times did the job. Bomberry got the ball in his scoring positions. He finished. I think one factor was the determined middie dodging which forced some fatal slides. Rehfuss found ways to attack effectively. Maybe the kids did grow up a bit as Desko summarized. I think I'll wait for a while on that one. Finally, lots of LSMs fought hard for every gb. Kennedy grabbed a couple crucial ones and then flipped the ball out of his stick. I still love the way he plays. He doesn't back down. I commend the coaches for using so many of the players in several positions. My cynical side warns me that the coaches may consider this year a kind of spring training for 19. So be it. Let em play. Kudos to the long stick defenders for the job they did on Guterding who is as good an attack as you can find.

The bad: remember this recurring nightmare. Duke middie beats ssdm out front heading down the left lane, from each side, the crease and the GLE, an SU long stick daintily moves toward the Duke middie, SU long sticks cross, Duke middie walks through the gauntlet and scores. I cannot count the number of times it happened. Those weren't slides they were invitations to the goal. Here, come right in. Indecisive slides and confused d men almost did SU in. I don't need to add the inexplicable TOs. However, there were far fewer than usual.

The rotten: giving up 14 goals. I just don't like it.
Geez, like the humor but can't we momentarily enjoy if not savor an improblable road victory agaisnt a legit FF team? Unlike Rutgers game, there were few unforced errors. We played an aggressive, hard checking team n got smacked several times by an older and bigger team and didnt blink. Coach Danowski complimented our play down the stretch when it mattered. Our staff had a good game plan , make adjustments and we were cohesive n executed despite all the shuttling n switches. Duke was the sloppier team .Guterding terrible unforced error would be lambasted for days if he were wearing Orange. 14 goals? One fewer than Denver gave up to Duke with Baptiste dominating faceoff because Duke wings crashed down. . D gave up only 2 goals in 4th because Martin not only won draws but stopped the snatch n go . Now we have another option if Varello struggles. FO wins- possessions- shots-sog-hoals-wins. Helmer grabbing long n short sticks , Kennedy was a honey badger wherever placed , Bomberry out there battling despite likely not being 100%. DiPietro showing well and Mellen rendering Guterking mortal. .. SSDM unit still having auditions but that unit will get that settled . Fine to acknowledge weaknesses but also ok to tout that we got potential, we got talent. Big victory to enjoy but schedule unrelenting as top five ND rolls in

Curry looked great out there against Duke. I think that you will see him back on the first-line mid this weekend against Notre Dame. He was absolutely TOASTING Puke SSDM's, giving them a taste of their own medicine. There is a ton of talent on offense, just need to take care of the ball and play smart. Love that we are in the drivers seat in the ACC!

Last thing of note, Mellen is just a stud. Incredible 1-on-1 defender, as a younger fan, I don't know if I've ever seen a player that good at 1-on-1 defending. Kennedy might be the best LSM on the wing we have had since the great Joel White!

Just a word on Mellen. He reminds me of John Lade who could zero out the best attacks. I think his play at Duke showed the importance of Bomberry to the close d. When he is not in the lineup, Mellen seems to worry about sliding to Bomberry's replacement, thus getting caught at times out of position to either slide or cover his man. Mellen has the same balance, feet, and anticipation as Lade, but he is also more athletic. I think when he grows even further into his position he will be capable of moving the ball full field on a clear, something he seems reluctant to do now even when he has room. I watched Guterding after Mellen turned him over in the first quarter. Surprised the ball was not in his stick. Next time he'll look on the ground.

Just a word on Mellen. He reminds me of John Lade who could zero out the best attacks. I think his play at Duke showed the importance of Bomberry to the close d. When he is not in the lineup, Mellen seems to worry about sliding to Bomberry's replacement, thus getting caught at times out of position to either slide or cover his man. Mellen has the same balance, feet, and anticipation as Lade, but he is also more athletic. I think when he grows even further into his position he will be capable of moving the ball full field on a clear, something he seems reluctant to do now even when he has room. I watched Guterding after Mellen turned him over in the first quarter. Surprised the ball was not in his stick. Next time he'll look on the ground.
Mellen m2m is excellent and he did a tremendous job on Gutering . Good matchup for him and Cuse given physical attributes. M2M scores off him have basically come from coordination issues on playing picks. Some ssdm have had particular problem with that given inexperience and have actually run interference at times. The m2m of the cd has been excellent in general n has not required any hedging for each other but slides by all have been lacking at times and that is a matter of group being not fully in sync. Did note that Cuse played more zone last game, think staff saw that Towson's zone gave Duke some issues and put that into game plan given personnel. In basketball terms, we seemed to be playing a box and one. I expect a zone to be used more frequently as responsibilities are more defined especially given the number of bodies being shuttled in. A good zone expands and contracts and should help defend the crease but bit more vulnerable to good perimeter shooting . I do not see Mellen changing his clearing approach nor should he. . Nothing wrong with poles clearing via good passing and moving it to short stick in space.

I mentioned this earlier, Carlin played well and McKinney gave us some good minutes. Our first two lines are primarily loaded with talented youngsters but it was good to see some older players in there contributing as well . Both moved well in the flow. Seebold and Quinn also saw some time and they also appeared increasingly comfortable. Coaches may decide to increase pace at some point if play warrants, having and using a productive third line can be helpful wearing down teams with less depth.

Mellen m2m is excellent and he did a tremendous job on Gutering . Good matchup for him and Cuse given physical attributes. M2M scores off him have basically come from coordination issues on playing picks. Some ssdm have had particular problem with that given inexperience and have actually run interference at times. The m2m of the cd has been excellent in general n has not required any hedging for each other but slides by all have been lacking at times and that is a matter of group being not fully in sync. Did note that Cuse played more zone last game, think staff saw that Towson's zone gave Duke some issues and put that into game plan given personnel. In basketball terms, we seemed to be playing a box and one. I expect a zone to be used more frequently as responsibilities are more defined especially given the number of bodies being shuttled in. A good zone expands and contracts and should help defend the crease but bit more vulnerable to good perimeter shooting . I do not see Mellen changing his clearing approach nor should he. . Nothing wrong with poles clearing via good passing and moving it to short stick in space.
good points. I don't argue with Mellen's approach now. He clears with the right pass, but were he to take off with his above average speed he could set up or score unsettled goals. The ball gets upfield faster unless the clear is a one pass deal.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
RSmith

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom