Notre Dame Gameday... | Page 10 | Syracusefan.com

Notre Dame Gameday...

Not sure if kohn worn down or hurt but he battle a lot better vs weirdman and colletti who think same level as naso n lynch. But he needs to counter better or figure it out vs these top teams. Also with him struggling so much why not give more chances to mullen. Kohn 6-21 mullen 3-8. But over the turnovers specially on clears also was least 3-5 shots we took with no one backing it up. Refs def missed a lot of calls as taylor’s 1 hand goal he held dudes stick lynch clearly jumped least 2-3 times on faceoffs n few other ones missed. But this team show some great mature level staying with it n keep going. We have to bury our shots. Also did agree with quint def not enough offense from behind cage. We played right into what notre dame wanted having offense be from up top.

I hear ya, just not a fan of trying those low percentage feeds every 1.5 possessions.

Especially when Uncle Leo was cooking well in the fourth.

No doubt, I agree. Unfortunately that's this teams MO. Hoping we saw Leo dodging today and will give him a look at attack. Why we don't is mystifying

Getting better. Tuesday is just massive. Really need Kohn and Mullen to find a rhythm. Cornell’s offense has been humming but they only put up 10 against Penn today. They will be hungry tuesday

I thought dwan should been on pat kev all game no fig. Fig struggles with the speedie guys which pat kav is. But also gotta say will mark finally above 50% vs top team congrats to him. This team needs to stop starting out slow and play consistent game on offense n defense all game n stop with poor turnovers and trying to one man clear it thru 2-3 dudes.

The ground all game was also huge. We got murked on ground balls. Notre dame guys more then few times in gb scrum push ball to open space before picking it up feel we don’t do that enough but also feel we miss to many first time gbs. Either way it’s over it’s a lost need to rest(best can) n take down cornell. Only unc n uva left after that any one know what kind lay-off it will be from our last game till acc tounry?

Absolutely disgusting no call on Titus on the clear when it was 10-13. Clearly tripped by Kav. But the media hype over there ride means they dont call those. Its total crap. OMG they try sooooo hard. They foul! They do it all the time! That plus the Entenmann robbery of Stevens on the possession before ended it. Nightmarish similarities to last seasons game, although we had a lot more dignity in this loss.

Disappointing day at the X. Was the main factor in the 1st half lead for ND and certainly did not help us down the stretch. Not the most horrendous first half from the offense. They really did not have the ball and I assume were overall efficient in the first half. Thought we should have gone to Mullen earlier and more often. Would be my one major gripe with the staff choices. Think he overall has the best chance to win off the clamp when it is a tough match up. You get down two penalties at the X early and that kills you too, no matter who you put out there.

ND went long pole on all three attack, but they also dont mind switching. We always get looks just by dicing up defenses with ball movement, and a lot of that comes from our starting attack. The ball movement from attack plus slides drawn from the midfield tends to be the winning formula. We still got those today, but the complete inability to scare a long pole 1v1 out of the attack looked like more of a problem. Spallina made very little happen with the ball in his stick today. Hiltz even less, but I think Quint is overall too harsh on their dodging abilities.

I am torn on if it is worth it to put a more traditional dodger like Leo at attack and break up the trio. In the end we were a couple looks away from another quality number of goals, and that is with a horrible day at the X. The ball movement still gets looks and goals and the middies were still able to draw slides. I am sure if you look at today from an efficiency standpoint it is not the worst. Some golden opportunities we somehow failed to capitalize. I am still overall hesitant to go to the drawing board with attack.

Defense overall had another excellent day on a high volume of reps from ND. Odierna is still one heck of a hire. We showed a lot of toughness on defense down the stretch. The improvements at D are what give me the most hope of us taking things far in May. Work to do but a still a heck of a lot to like about this team!!

Can someone please explain to me why Notre Dame was only playing their 7th game of the season and it was our 12th game? I don't watch much Lacrosse so that discrepancy in games played is kinda high for a season with so few games.

Can someone please explain to me why Notre Dame was only playing their 7th game of the season and it was our 12th game? I don't watch much Lacrosse so that discrepancy in games played is kinda high for a season with so few games.

Jeremy covered it earlier in the thread.

ND only schedules 11 regular season games. It's against ND school policy to play middle of the week road games (unless the team can take a bus ride).

The NCAA has a max number of games you can schedule each season, but no minimum. The risk is that you don't make the tournament because you don't have enough quality wins.

ND only schedules 11 regular season games. It's against ND school policy to play middle of the week road games (unless the team can take a bus ride).

The NCAA has a max number of games you can schedule each season, but no minimum. The risk is that you don't make the tournament because you don't have enough quality wins.

Yup OE nailed it. I believe there is a minimum though which I think is 11. ND usually only schedules 12 or 13 tops they play a smaller schedule and with a title potential team they went down to 11. Desko did something similar with the last 2 years of the Rice Donahue Staats Galasso squad.

who do we want behind the cage as feeder/ backup ? joey ain't gonna score back there.

Last edited:
We got completely outworked today. GBs were like 40-20. They just swarmed every loose ball and rode hard. Pat Kavanaugh had 6 GBs himself and 3 caused turnovers. That’s coming to work. Our 3 attackman had 5 GBs total.

20 turnovers. Hiltz 5, Spallina 4. ND 16.

For as bad as Syracuse played, the crazy good Entemam save at the end might have saved the game for them. The lead at that point is cut to 1. Don’t care what the stats say he was just money today in cage. Really was the difference imo for ND winning that game. Thought Mark was shaky in the 1st half and kept us in it in the 2nd half. SSDM not a good performance.

This game will be different if we get them again.

Let’s go

Syracuse head coach Gary Gait said after the game that Kohn has been under the weather this week.

“I give him a lot of credit for showing up and wanting to play,” Gait said. “That’s why he’s one of our leaders and one of our captains. He’s going to play no matter what the situation is.”

Syracuse head coach Gary Gait said after the game that Kohn has been under the weather this week.

“I give him a lot of credit for showing up and wanting to play,” Gait said. “That’s why he’s one of our leaders and one of our captains. He’s going to play no matter what the situation is.”
Love the fight, but isn’t it the coaching staff’s job to save a kid from himself? Shouldn’t have taken that many FOs regardless, but especially if he had been sick.

This team is so much fun to watch. GG has clearly been paying attention, as the culture has definitely seen an improvement. I really enjoy seeing all the players really balling out for one another again. There have been a few years where trust, understandably, has been a huge factor.

Sorry, but if Kohn isn’t 100% then why the heck wouldn’t you give a more healthy John Mullen more reps? He’s pretty good too! That’s kind of crazy to me. Hats off to Kohn, but coaches need to step in there. Especially with another game on Tuesday.

Hard hitting analysis:

- What is the purpose of life? What came first, the chicken or the egg? How did Georgetown beat Notre Dame on the road?

- We are undefeated when we go on a men’s church group retreat before a big game. Moving forward, no in person classes and the dorms have been moved to the Outer Banks.

- Notre Dame fights for ground balls like their lives depend on it.

- Personal stats: 3 adult beverages, 2 bathroom breaks, 2 dips packed, 4 times I turned off the tv and said, “I’m bad luck, they’re better when I don’t watch.” You’re welcome for the 4th quarter rally.

- Michael Leo needs more touches

This is my Tebow speech: team didn’t quit. We didn’t play well in our first “real” road game in a tough environment - against a squad loaded with grad transfers that had 4 months off to prepare. We lost to ND by a billion the last several times we played them and we still had a shot today. Stop pouting. A lot of good will come from this. God bless.

Hard hitting analysis:

- What is the purpose of life? What came first, the chicken or the egg? How did Georgetown beat Notre Dame on the road?

- We are undefeated when we go on a men’s church group retreat before a big game. Moving forward, no in person classes and the dorms have been moved to the Outer Banks.

- Notre Dame fights for ground balls like their lives depend on it.

- Personal stats: 3 adult beverages, 2 bathroom breaks, 2 dips packed, 4 times I turned off the tv and said, “I’m bad luck, they’re better when I don’t watch.” You’re welcome for the 4th quarter rally.

- Michael Leo needs more touches

This is my Tebow speech: team didn’t quit. We didn’t play well in our first “real” road game in a tough environment - against a squad loaded with grad transfers that had 4 months off to prepare. We lost to ND by a billion the last several times we played them and we still had a shot today. Stop pouting. A lot of good will come from this. God bless.
I’ll add Pat avg 8 points in last 5 matchups and he had 3 today. Let’s FINISH

Yup OE nailed it. I believe there is a minimum though which I think is 11. ND usually only schedules 12 or 13 tops they play a smaller schedule and with a title potential team they went down to 11. Desko did something similar with the last 2 years of the Rice Donahue Staats Galasso squad.
I think I've read that the minimum number of games is 10. It's part of the criteria to qualify for the NCAA Tournament.

I watched the Cornell game after the Cuse game. Cornell's play today was strange. They scored 6 goals in the first quarter (I think led 6-2 at one point) & looked like they were going to score 100. But they only scored 4 goals the rest of the game. It didn't seem like all of a sudden Penn brought great defense. It was more Cornell was missing passes or not making the right ones. Their new star freshman Ryan Goldstein, who played so great against Princeton, hardly touched the ball much of the game. Cornell had multiple opportunities late in the 4th & in the 2 OT periods to win the game but on some offensive possessions they never got a shot off. A few moving picks & at least one hold by an offensive player. Their faceoffs were fair, winning 14 of 26. Their goalie was good but not great. CJ Kirst had 4 goals. They are great on the wings on faceoffs and really muck things up. They also have a tenacious ride. They are certainly beatable and if we bring our "good" game for 60 minutes we should have an excellent chance to win. Glad we finished strong today so we can bring that into the game Tuesday night. BTW, Penn won 11-10 in 2 OTs.

I also watched the Army-UNC game before our game. Again UNC went out to a good first half lead and couldn't hold it. Like against High Point their defense wasn't great in the 4th qtr (hmmm) and Army won 13-12. Strange last 40 seconds. Army has the ball & called TO. When play resumed all Army had to do was kill the rest of the clock. BUT, they took a shot toward the empty net from near the sideline inside the restraining line but missed but NC had the backup. NC never came close to getting a shot off. Awful offense.

This was like a playoff game! Every possession mattered, so it was fun to watch, especially because we haven’t played in a playoff game in a little while. Notre Dame is definitely the best team we played all year, but at least we made it respectable. No consolation points, but playing the best team in the country (on the road) to the very end should count for something. Congrats to the team for showing heart!

My thoughts on the game are the same as I’ve been saying all year:
-Trujillo and Levine are killing us. Rice is a Stud, but there’s such a big talent drop between him and Trujillo/Levine that he’s rarely involved in the play because teams don’t even challenge him (hopefully that doesn’t lessen his chance to become an All American). Sorry, but Trujillo shouldn’t be on the field
-Our D was solid, except for Trujillo/Levine, and Levine and English not knowing how to switch when they are involved in a pick play at X (I think we need to practice our pick play at X defense)
-Hottle held up great at SSDM! Told you guys. He’s our 2nd best SSDM, by far! Our team will go as far as the endurance of Rice and Hottle can hold up, because if they are both on the field, then our D is solid! If one of them has to come off though, then maybe play Stevens at SSDM. He’s not doing much on offense, and he can help us on D
-Rhoa and Leo are our studs, both are future All Americans, and the only thing limiting them is us! They just don’t get enough touches
-Spallina is overrated. Sorry, but he is. He scores boatload of points against bad teams, but he can’t do anything against good teams
-Thomson is a stud. Good to see him starting to get back to form!
-Hiltz was quiet early, but then came alive. He makes our team go! If Thomson catches that Great pass from Hiltz with under 2 minutes left, then that‘s a goal and it’s a 1 goal game
-Mule had some great passes today. Props to him

The team played hard today, showed a lot of heart, and made us proud!

Last edited:

There sort of is a minimum - if you want to compete in the NCAA tournament. The NCAA requires that you play 10 games against D1 competition to be considered for an at-large bid.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
cuse702

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors
Top Bottom