Notre Dame Gameday... | Page 11 | Syracusefan.com

Notre Dame Gameday...

No doubt, I agree. Unfortunately that's this teams MO. Hoping we saw Leo dodging today and will give him a look at attack. Why we don't is mystifying
He needs to be the lefty attackman, his dodging threat frees up Mule/Spallina

Hiltz so much more dangerous against a shorty out of the box

He needs to be the lefty attackman, his dodging threat frees up Mule/Spallina

Hiltz so much more dangerous against a shorty out of the box

Said earlier in the season I thought Leo was the teams best offensive weapon. He should be the starting lefty attackman imho. I’d rather he be on the field when there’s transition and some unsettled stuff happening.

i missed watching first half as bad work so listen to it. Watching full game now and what i saw. Is Notre dame clearly more fresh and rested as whole team seem faster and energized going all out for everything. Where we seem to sit back more not wanting to over play. Another thing on their ride saw 3 of their dudes vs 1 of ours n not a single one of our guys even close to dude with ball to help. Also olexo i’m sorry if watch him on alot of plays just half effort. The second taylor goal he knew where was going but thru a half barely even hard stick check which can’t do va notre dame their two strong n good to not tomahawk their sticks hard. His shot with no back up when come up was starting also ill advised. We just looked tired worn n way slower. Yes we played more games and didn’t have 2weeks off. Also they didn’t have many close up on faceoffs but will lynch def leans slightly more then our guys and notice it from teams we played n never seems called. Our fogos sticks are straight up no lean even slightly. But notre dame just hustle n went all out for every gb where we did not. That’s not really our game but need to battle every play every ball. Few times dame got bad pass n our defender right there but didn’t hustle to get it n notre dame able to pick it up without hardship. We are younger then notre dame i believe so still growing pains. But overall will say team didn’t give up and kept playing. If look at box score took notre dame 9-10 diff scorers to beat us. That’s how i look at it. Their whole team had to step up in order to win and that’s what happen. Kohn doesn’t seem to be as he was first half of season not sure if getting tired or hurt or just worn down. But even games he did well he seems be tad slower not picking up the gbs right away as was or just seems little off then he was. Also when we had ball behind net (thompson first goal) it opening in front of net n we scored few times like that. Why we kept attacking from up top playing into notre dames strength was mind boggling. I don’t normally agree with quint but he kept saying it and i agreed should attack from behind cage more. Mullen should of took more draws as had half as many wins of kohn n took way less then kohn. Wings were no where to be found on any 50/50 battles. The one kohn won but kavs came to take it olexo was already down in offense zone not where should been helping fogo bring it to offense zone first. To many mistakes not enough communication but was enough to be proud of as the fight till the end. Shooting needs to be better specially when struggle at X can’t waste possessions. Refs missed a lot of calls but that always happens. English needs to go to his left least few times a game keep d honest. Their trying to force him left giving it to him but he always always goes right. Mark thought was stellar first half wasn’t great thought some weak goals let in or if he just stepped to ball he could of have but he’s solid. Just don’t think saw enough hustle from team overall def in first half n to win or make champ weekend ya need to go all out every min every game every play.

One last thing i absolutely hate the kavs. Great players play hard but they do play dirty their cocky n can’t stand them. Respect for them but still don’t like them. I truely hope we see this team again and hope we take them down.

Also our dmids besides rice and hottle are not very fast and don’t seem have great endurance. So the ones not very solid once they get tired then pretty much liability until second wind comes. So would say use more guys in rotation specially early in game to save them for later in game when really matters. I know titus is on man down but use him during game at times also please. Jake spallina use him little more even try schmitch or puckhaber at Lsm giving olexo n wright a breather also. Even if put the other lsm on wings something. This is getting close to end so need guys fresh and healthy to push till end. This team is very good and has chance to make noise have to play smarter and limit mistakes.

Said earlier in the season I thought Leo was the teams best offensive weapon. He should be the starting lefty attackman imho. I’d rather he be on the field when there’s transition and some unsettled stuff happening.
Joey’s getting his numbers, but I agree Leo is out Pat Kav and we need him down there bad.

Agree with a lot of this. Trujillo has struggled. Levine has actually been playing quite well, but certainly doesn't have the foot speed for certain matchups. Seems like he didn't play much after the 1st Q. Hottle got burned pretty good early on where he overplayed the top side and the guy went right under him. Should've been an early slide there so not completely his fault. I chuckled a few times when he got caught guarding Dobson given the size difference. He also had that one possession against Pat Kav where he held his own impressively on an ISO. He's really been great.

I thought the defense settled down in the second half and overall played pretty well. Pick communication wasn't good and led to a few goals. I suspect some of that was due to trying to maintain matchups. Multiple luck of the Irish type goals (Taylor hold, Mark rebound goal, etc.). We sometimes forget that Fig is still a freshman, guarding a 5th year AA. He got beat on a speed dodge early and then I think got caught up in a pick behind the cage, but otherwise played well.

Offensively they were all over the map. I thought Hiltz had a brutal game overall. Ton of turnovers, really forced things with a shorty matchup. Joey kept up the trend of disappearing in big games and some of his decision making was suspect. Couldn't agree more on Leo, he is a star and needs to see the ball more. I would love to see them give him a run at attack with that group. There is plenty of talent left at midfield. Mule is a good distributor but is limited athletically and gets bottled up by stronger, quicker poles. I think they are going to have to play around with the personnel going forward as the defensive playbook has been established for slowing them down.

Faceoffs were brutal. As others mentioned, not sure why Kohn was taking all of them if he was sick and already had the two violations. Wing play was a big factor as well. Almost all the 50/50 ground balls went to ND. That extended beyond the faceoff as well.

Game seemed to be decided by 4 key events: The two early face-off violations that set the tone for the half, the brutal end of half where we had a great look at the cage and couldn't finish, then gave up two quick goals. The man up where they had two amazing looks and couldn't finish, and then late in the 4th on the break when Hiltz(?) dropped the pass. Think that would've gotten it down to 1 with ~ 2 mins left.

Despite playing a C game (way too many turnovers, not finishing a lot of great opportunities), I was really impressed with the fight and making it a game in the 4th. Great experience against defending champs and seemingly the best team this year. Tough atmosphere.

Another tough one on Tuesday. Wish I could be there. LGO.

English needs to practice with his left hand. Teams are begging him to go to his left. If he even had some what of left hand he prob could score bunch of goals as that left alley is wide open for him. But he has no left hand n always goes right 1 having to run further cause has to go around players trying to force him to left while also defense all knows he’s going right so his sweep doesn’t do anything. I understand most stay with strong hand but least need to be able to go to weak hand when need to. Also someone said joey is overrated and yes he isn’t fast but don’t need to be fast to be efficient dodger. Does it help when fast oh certainly but don’t mean can’t be solid dodger without speed. Ya do need be smart have good vision and good stick skills and good stick protection. Which think spallina checks those boxes. I think he stops his feet to much when dodges allowing defender to get into his body and he also doesn’t change direction much or very well if he does even do it. He can use both his hands well so he can be a dodger just has to practice n go hard pick spot once to get to n go. I have yet to see him do it but have said if he dodges up one side or net from behind n thru a fake behind back shot into a rocker dodge think he could get step topside n have open look at goal.

As for dmids and trujillo yes he doesn’t have the size he isn’t slowest dmid we have but he does play flat footed to much when player starts their dodge towards him. Which then he is already beat cause has to catch up n over plays into an easy roll back n shot from opponent. He needs to open his hips more when they come at him even maby give quick jam to send them off their line. Or if know what hand player wants cheat that way to force player to weak hand. We play to far off at times our guy letting them be able to run n pass without any pressure. Need be up on them in their face contesting everything they do.

Last but not least i think of faceoffs we’re even 40% for us that then we possibly have chance to win game at end. Faceoffs really killed us as offense didn’t have ball alot to get in groove(2nd half we did win few n we scored few) wings weren’t any help. But ultimately notre dame having two weeks off think clearly showed they were fresh n well prepared and we looked tired and worn in first half. This team still makes call them rookie mistakes but overal this team is very good. To me first half just looked like our guys were to tired and to worn to stay with a fresh notre dame group. I also thought dwan should have covered pat kav n fig on chris as fig struggles at times with faster players. Maby even cacameo who’s faster than both on pat kav. But it took a team effort from notre dame to beat us in my opinion.

English has elite straight line speed but chooses to “dance” and chop his feet on his dodges. He’s also prone to throwing the “hero” skip pass at times, often resulting in turnovers. Would love to see him be more decisive like Leo and put his foot in the ground.

Agree with a lot of you on Leo moving to attack. Need 2 dodging threats at attack in ACC play IMO. Hiltz, Spallina, and Mulé all, more often than not, cannot beat their guy when covered by elite poles, even with help from picks. That’s tough.

Hottle should be playing a ton as SSDM 2 moving forward, great sense for the game and, like Rice, is great in the clear.

Not expecting our FOGOs to be dominated like that moving forward, even if we play ND again.

Still, lots to be positive about in that loss. 2 goal game and we did not play our best. Excited for remainder of the schedule.

Don’t agree with changing around the lineups over yesterday. Too late to get both Leo and whoever he would be replacing on attack used to playing new positions. Leo is making plenty happen in his current role. We were very close yesterday. 12 goals against one of the best defenses in the country all with a horrible day at the X.

Spallina Hiltz and Mule all make plays happen off the dodge and have all season. It does not always go down like it did yesterday. And when they don’t they still have plenty to offer as feeders, with slides still drawn and defense rotating from the middies. Switching something like Mule for Leo makes the attack dodging a little stronger and the middie dodging a little worse, all while throwing a wrench in the chemistry with guys getting used to new spots. I just don’t think it’s worth it. Maybe I have more faith than some that the attack will not always look like it did yesterday.

We need to tighten up the slop and finish on more of the good looks we are getting. We are also going to need more help than we got at the x if we want to put up more than 12-13 on a team like ND.

English has elite straight line speed but chooses to “dance” and chop his feet on his dodges. He’s also prone to throwing the “hero” skip pass at times, often resulting in turnovers. Would love to see him be more decisive like Leo and put his foot in the ground.

Agree with a lot of you on Leo moving to attack. Need 2 dodging threats at attack in ACC play IMO. Hiltz, Spallina, and Mulé all, more often than not, cannot beat their guy when covered by elite poles, even with help from picks. That’s tough.

Hottle should be playing a ton as SSDM 2 moving forward, great sense for the game and, like Rice, is great in the clear.

Not expecting our FOGOs to be dominated like that moving forward, even if we play ND again.

Still, lots to be positive about in that loss. 2 goal game and we did not play our best. Excited for remainder of the schedule.

Yes feels like lots of wasted movement from English on his dodges, he starts so far away from the goal, by the time he gets close to the box it feels like he’s already worn himself out. Not sure if this is a symptom of there not being many other ball handlers on offense, outside of Spallina and Leo.

I’d be really surprised if they made any changes on offense. If they didn’t move Leo to attack when Hiltz was injured against Hobart, then I don’t think it’s going to happen.

Don’t agree with changing around the lineups over yesterday. Too late to get both Leo and whoever he would be replacing on attack used to playing new positions. Leo is making plenty happen in his current role. We were very close yesterday. 12 goals against one of the best defenses in the country all with a horrible day at the X.

Spallina Hiltz and Mule all make plays happen off the dodge and have all season. It does not always go down like it did yesterday. And when they don’t they still have plenty to offer as feeders, with slides still drawn and defense rotating from the middies. Switching something like Mule for Leo makes the attack dodging a little stronger and the middie dodging a little worse, all while throwing a wrench in the chemistry with guys getting used to new spots. I just don’t think it’s worth it. Maybe I have more faith than some that the attack will not always look like it did yesterday.

We need to tighten up the slop and finish on more of the good looks we are getting. We are also going to need more help than we got at the x if we want to put up more than 12-13 on a team like ND.
I agree that I don’t think the staff will do it. But I really do believe that switching a middie and an attackman in a “positionless offense” is not that revolutionary of a move.

We flip flop Caccamo and Kol constantly and never question chemistry. A couple years ago ND inserted an injured Jake Taylor at attack for a veteran Griffin Westlin, mid-season… which would have raised some eyebrows on here, but it paid off.

I am not sold on Mulé and would love to see Leo, Rhoa, or even English on attack, as I think it would bring a new dimension to the offense against elite defenses by putting more pressure on the 2nd / 3rd close defensemen to cover a dodging threat.

Leo is an attackman who’s out of position at midfield and that’s why his preferred place to attack is just below GLE from the left corner. So I’m not sure at this level of lacrosse that switch would be that hard on anyone.

Hiltz is so talented, but just doesn’t have the fire in his belly to be the guy out there in the ACC. Not sure what evidence supports he is at this point unfortunately. I’d also say that folks have been calling for the change almost as soon as we were playing against legit teams and Hiltz was exposed.

We have a plethora of midfielders chomping at the bit to get a go and it’s next man up if 77 can’t get it going, as much as it hurts to say. And to be clear, I like the kid so it’s very hard to type that, but it’s reality if we want to get to Memorial Day weekend this year.

Just my opinion!

I’m not against changing the picture during the course of a game if what we are doing isn’t working. It’s actually good coaching to be unpredictable and willing to make adjustments. I think we should have Rhoa on the wing and on EMO.

Leo is an attackman who’s out of position at midfield and that’s why his preferred place to attack is just below GLE from the left corner. So I’m not sure at this level of lacrosse that switch would be that hard on anyone.

Hiltz is so talented, but just doesn’t have the fire in his belly to be the guy out there in the ACC. Not sure what evidence supports he is at this point unfortunately. I’d also say that folks have been calling for the change almost as soon as we were playing against legit teams and Hiltz was exposed.

We have a plethora of midfielders chomping at the bit to get a go and it’s next man up if 77 can’t get it going, as much as it hurts to say. And to be clear, I like the kid so it’s very hard to type that, but it’s reality if we want to get to Memorial Day weekend this year.

Just my opinion!

Not sure this is totally fair to Hiltz, he did put up five points vs Hopkins, had a hat trick vs Duke and six against a good Delaware team. Don’t know enough about him off the field to judge what his passion for the game is, but he’s played well this year. Think we are too hard on guys sometimes when things don’t work out in a given game. Just last week we were heaping praise on the kid, he didn’t become a bad player in the span of a week.

What is clear is that the team really needs one of Hiltz or Spallina to have a good game to win. In their three losses those are the games when they both seem to struggle. Would say more pressure is on Hiltz since he isn’t drawing the alpha dog defender.

I agree that I don’t think the staff will do it. But I really do believe that switching a middie and an attackman in a “positionless offense” is not that revolutionary of a move.

We flip flop Caccamo and Kol constantly and never question chemistry. A couple years ago ND inserted an injured Jake Taylor at attack for a veteran Griffin Westlin, mid-season… which would have raised some eyebrows on here, but it paid off.

I am not sold on Mulé and would love to see Leo, Rhoa, or even English on attack, as I think it would bring a new dimension to the offense against elite defenses by putting more pressure on the 2nd / 3rd close defensemen to cover a dodging threat.
If there was one I would take out I agree it would be Mule. Hiltz I think shows more as a dodger than he gets credit, and nobody can recreate what he does for us as a feeder and shooter. A lot can happen when he sweeps across from the left wing. Mule has made teams pay for putting a short stick on him. He stepped up against Army Hopkins and others when they had a short stick for the match up. Yesterday one of the few times he had a short stick he drew a slide and had a nice assist inside to Thomson. But of the three he is definitely the least likely to make something happen against a long pole, and is not especially strong as a shooter.

The offense is a little unorthodox with how much the dodging is concentrated to the middie lines, but we are getting solid looks with some consistency this season. I am not sure if things are broken enough where we have to see a change.

Would also point out that the staff has not been opposed to changes in the past. Last season they were juggling the third attack spot between Simmons Kirst and Thomson. They have just been less keen on making changes with this years group.

I don’t see making a change at all as can just have them invert. I don’t think we invert our middies or dodgers enough. Why not have leo or english go behind and dodge. Dodgeing up top if they beat their guy it’s in front of defense n easier to recover seeing it happen as if behind cage feel little harder as ur eyes behind n ur guy is behind you. I do agree joey and hiltz when in these big games have to show up either as scorer or feeder or least draw the slides. Sometimes feel when joey has elite pole on him they either tell him or have him sit back more. I’d even like to see joey go in middle making his guy one who has to slide n help which can open him or get switches more. Also think we could do better job at hiding our picks so harder for d to just get pass it or under it simply. We need rhoa and someone else to be able to fire some outside shots also. Defenses able to pack it in cause we really don’t have much range outside or least don’t attempt it much. Birt roha def can hit range but don’t shoot it much. Also i thought on birts one turnover he had open look to crank it but didn’t n went to pass which ended up going into defenders stick. So think guys are little hesitant to shoot also at times. I don’t think need to switch attackman think can just invert or if leo on field have him start it. Also think should least give kellogg a run or two see if can’t get some outside rips. Really think if can force defense to have to play us out will open middle more. Besides rhoa n once in while birt we do not shoot from 10yrds plus. Give mccarthy a run as he seems be type to sweep. shoot on run.

Honestly just think the sloppy play in first half and faceoffs gbs is why lost. Think also help notre dame had so much time off to rest n prepare was big factor. Mean if stevens burys that emo goal it’s 1 goal game with plenty of time . Our shooting percent for guys mostly taking shots is low. And truely thinking kohn is battling something heard was sick but his last 3 games he just doesn’t seem to be as was first half. He has taken tom of faceoffs. Think should let mullen get more reps as he’s been pretty solid himself n can use all experience can get n save kohn as much as can not completely shut him down but little rest as come acc tounry n playoffs will be huge. Last thing if refs called push on titus then dobson doesn’t score that goal n who knows what happens.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
cuse702

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors
Top Bottom