Duke made 15 3's and lost and we made 0 and lost | Syracusefan.com

Duke made 15 3's and lost and we made 0 and lost

thebigeast44

Starter
Simply put, both teams had achilles heels. We had only 1 3 point shooter and he was inconsistent. When he hit, we could beat any team in the nation. When he didn't, we were in grind it out affairs.

Duke's offense was all predicated on the 3 point shot. Their lack of offensive diversity and a doughnut in the middle led to their undoing.

Neither team could be expected to go on a run in the Tournament with those weaknesses.

Duke will be bringing in the best Center prospect in the nation. So their biggest need will be addressed.

We on the other hand, will not be addressing our biggest need until the 2015 recruiting class. Unless Cooney can become more consistent next year and another 3 point threat is developed, we could have the same weakness next year.

I do believe Cooney can improve. But if he is the only threat, he may be forced again to take ill advised 3's. We really could use a small forward to be that threat. Mike G and BJ better be taking thousands of 3's over the summer (and Buss of course at the 2). While Roberson may start at the 3, it's unlikely he'll ever be a 3 point threat.

Here's hoping to a better 3 point future. Or for the NCAA to move the line back - I'd love to see that! Let's Go Orange!

Last edited:
Your post just goes to show that the best teams are balanced, both offensively and defensively.

I would add that stars are necessary for tournament success, but having a star talent doesn't guarantee a deep run. Teams with a fundamentally developed star that also possess a number of solid role players who are fundamentally sound tend to play in early April.

Duke's offense was all predicated on the 3 point shot. Their lack of offensive diversity and a doughnut in the middle led to their undoing.

Duke lost because they couldn't guard anyone.

I think the most devastating stat from last night (more so than zero made threes) was the fact we had 4 team assists. It's just not possible to win in the NCAA tournament when you're not passing the ball and creating for teammates.

Buss hit more jumpers on Thursday after not playing since forever than the team did yesterday. No commentary, just a funny stat.

Team was awful at passing and shooting all year so not shocked one bit that's how we lose. But one jumper and 4 assists is the silliest thing I've ever read. Makes no sense. Two first rounders, an all American, a mcd all American center, a Duke transfer, and a supposed deadeye shooter? Please.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
CuseGuy44

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom