Duke opens -14.5 over Syracuse... | Page 2 | Syracusefan.com

Duke opens -14.5 over Syracuse...

So the last spread that was actually higher had to be the '96 Championship game. If memory serves, I believe Kentucky was favored by 16 in that one.
Wow. pretty close. Looks like we were 14 point dogs in that game. Sheesh.

Pomeroy has 13. 14.5 may be a shade high, but the Pomeroy lines are usually pretty close to the vegas line, so I guess i can't quibble too much.
When was the last time we were getting this many?

(And you could also say a week ago we lost to a very meh team at home. I'd also play that Louisville is unlikely a top 25 team without Jones. Still, 2 TD is a lot)

If Pomeroy differs from the line by 4 or more points, that's when to go with him.

JB & K are tight. That has to count for something. Line seems crazy.:crazy:

Holy crap, that is a lot of points. It 100% depends on how quick they foul Rak out. If the refs can eliminate him by the under 12 time out, then Duke will cover.

But honestly there are good reasons to think we have no hope:
1. XMas was not very good in game #1
2. Cooney is hurt
3. Roberson has clearly been affected by the assault and battery perpetrated on him by Pizzle
4. Absolutely no reason to expect 15+ from BJ (or anybody else from the bench)
5. Home cooking from officials

How realistic are these?
1. I think Xmas will have an outstanding game, lets say 22 points, 9 rebs
2. I expect Cooney will shoot 2 - 12 from three and finish with 10 points
3. I think Roberson will have 9 points and 8 rebounds
4. I expect BJ to get 6 points
5. Not sure here. On the one hand it seems that the refs have been shafting home teams lately and there should be incentive to let Okafor and Rak stay on the floor - I'm going to guess a push here with Rak fouling out with 3 minutes to play in the game

Totally honest prediction: we lose by 9 - 11 points. Should cover. If any of my predictions go significantly more in our favor we have a chance to pull off the upset.
Great analysis - the Duke/Tobacco Road home cooking by the refs will be good for at least 5 points

The only important line is win or lose. The bigger the spread, the bigger the kismet.
All that said, I'd take 'Cuse and the points. Our boys are playing for pride.

Current moneyline is Cuse +700 implying we have a 13% chance to win outright

I think we will hang with them but fade late and try to catch up by fouling etc and then that's how they'll meet the spread

Corey Maggette - 72
Weird alegations - 73 ot

The Southern BB Mafia doesn't want Roc to beat out Okafer for any awards. He's in for a long evening.

Man I remember going to that Gtown game. Don't remember us getting 12 but when you consider the strengths of the two teams, it makes sense.

If we had beat Gtown in that game, that would have been three straight SU/GT games where an unranked SU beat a Top 10 GT. Because we knocked them off in the Dome in both 07 and 08.

I see this game being competitive and perhaps we even take an early 7-8 point lead, but ultimate Duke breaks away mid 2nd half and wins by about 10.

54-73
this thread kinda shows the guys thinking with their heads vs. thinking with their hearts. heads win.

Last edited:
They just needed overtime to beat a 2-13 in the ACC Virginia Tech team.

Duke is better than us, yes. But let's not go overboard and say that, following that result, combined with our two recent wins over ranked opponents, a nearly 15 point line is realistic.

I guess the proof was in the pudding. When money is on the line, go with your head... not your heart. I dont gamble on much, but i eat up college hoops. this was a suckers bet. Duke was always the play unfortunately.

UVA, on the other hand, could be a different story.

Last edited:
I guess the proof was in the pudding. When money is on the line, go with your head... not your heart. I dont gamble on much, but i eat up college hoops. this was a suckers bet. Duke was always the play unfortunately.

UVA, on the other hand, could be a different story.
Well you're 1-1 in your 2 duke prognostications. FYI, every bet is a suckers bet

Well you're 1-1 in your 2 dukeprognostications. FYI, every bet is a suckers bet
Vegas has taken pretty much every dollar I have layed on sports bets. Glad I didn't drop a dime on my Orange yesterday.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
FbBarbie

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom