Duke's Jalen Johnson will forgo remainder of season, enter NBA Draft | Page 7 | Syracusefan.com

Duke's Jalen Johnson will forgo remainder of season, enter NBA Draft

Status
Not open for further replies.
You literally posted that nobody cares about Jalen Johnson. Apparently our fans did and so did the media who have discussed it all week.
I’ll admit I’m apparently wrong there but that doesn’t change the point that this was another dumb statement by JB.

Ehh there’s legit criticism about JB on the team, rotations etc...but he was asked about Duke specifically and he’s right when he said that they are playing better without him. Pretty soft for a slam if you ask me. Nationally people have hated Boeheim for years that’s nothing new and am not surprised they piled on.

As someone who doesn’t agree with our 100% zone strategy and player rotations this year there’s legit criticism about JB and there’s starting to be criticism from people whenever the coach breathes.
The truth is people are just sick of the status quo.

Thus by being himself he opens himself up to criticism. This wouldn’t have gotten my attention if the media left it alone but JB opened himself and I am not going to defend him when I feel this stuff is his fault for just not being less controversial in what he said.

Years ago I might have pushed back saying it’s feeding the beast embrace debate cycle but JB’s stubbornness is getting tiresome to defend against the hot takers.

The drama around the program is nonstop. It’s at the top of the pyramid.

Thus by being himself he opens himself up to criticism. This wouldn’t have gotten my attention if the media left it alone but JB opened himself and I am not going to defend him when I feel this stuff is his fault for just not being less controversial in what he said.

Years ago I might have pushed back saying it’s feeding the beast embrace debate cycle but JB’s stubbornness is getting tiresome to defend against the hot takers.

I wasn’t defending anything, but these days you can’t even post on this board without slamming the coach or his kid in every thread or else people think you’re sticking up for Boeheim. I happen to have a lot of the same opinions as a lot of people but it’s not going to be suddenly fixed if Buddy plays 20 mpg instead of 40.

Case in point is the rebounding is never going to get fixed as long as we play zone. We could have Fab Melo
playing the 2 and we would still be in the bottom 20% of defensive rebounding, but because some guy calls Brent Axe everyday he thinks he’s an expert on everything.

Well somebody better get ahold of the staff and tell them to quit wasting time on BHH and Justin Taylor because Twitter is mad at our head coach

I wasn’t defending anything, but these days you can’t even post on this board without slamming the coach or his kid in every thread or else people think you’re sticking up for Boeheim. I happen to have a lot of the same opinions as a lot of people but it’s not going to be suddenly fixed if Buddy plays 20 mpg instead of 40.

Case in point is the rebounding is never going to get fixed as long as we play zone. We could have Fab Melo
playing the 2 and we would still be in the bottom 20% of defensive rebounding, but because some guy calls Brent Axe everyday he thinks he’s an expert on everything.
Yeah I don’t know what is Pat is saying now.

I will say the negativity has reached the boiling point because of the status quo not changing.
I was harsher before the overall tone became harsh but have backed off as much as I don’t need to pile on.

I am a realist as I say. JB shouldn’t be commenting on Jalen Johnson. If he was asked about Duke. Just talk about Duke. Other coaches aren’t talking about Jalen Johnson.

The Wake Forest HC just played Duke and didn’t get into a discussion on Johnson.
JB should be smarter. If he isn’t and says what he did no matter if it’s right or wrong he opens himself up to nationally hot takers.

I am not going to say he was okay saying what he did when I don’t think it helps the program. Coach K wouldn’t say what JB said. Why not?

If the negativity is getting stronger and the team isn’t bottoming out what does that mean?

I will say the negativity has reached the boiling point because of the status quo not changing.
I was harsher before the overall tone became harsh as I don’t need to pile on.
I am a realist as I say. JB shouldn’t be commenting on Jalen Johnson. If he was asked about Duke. Just talk about Duke. Other coaches aren’t talking about Jalen Johnson.

The Wake Forest HC just played Duke and didn’t get into a discussion on Johnson.
JB should be smarter. If he isn’t and says what he did no matter if it’s right or wrong he opens himself up to nationally hot takers.

I am not going to say he was okay saying what he did when I don’t think it helps the program. Coach K wouldn’t say what JB said. Why not?

If the negativity is getting stronger and the team isn’t bottoming out what does that mean?

Pat has a short fuse himself. He‘s boycotted both Brent and Infanti before because they didn’t agree with his opinion. Pat and JB have met their match.

They don’t get it
No I get it

Just because I think this is stupid doesn’t mean I’m happy with how things are going

Tell the HC to actually go call Enoch Boakye and his HS instead of talking about another team’ s quitter.
To be fair I don’t think he could have made that phone call at the time he was talking about the other team’s quitter. Probably could have done so after but they aren’t mutually exclusive

To be fair I don’t think he could have made that phone call at the time he was talking about the other team’s quitter. Probably could have done so after but they aren’t mutually exclusive

I can’t get over stuff like this.
How couldn’t JB have called yesterday and just step up a formal zoom?
Wake played a game Wednesday and their coach already did it.

But he talked about Jalen Johnson when asked about Duke during his coaches show.

The stuff going on behind the scenes in this program are infuriating.

I was harsher before the overall tone became harsh but have backed off as much as I don’t need to pile on.

Coach K took a shot at our fanbase saying we don't appreciate JB enough. Roy blistered his team last year.

I have no idea why people are salty about this. Kid quit, team won a couple since that. JB is going to shoot it straight.

I can’t get over stuff like this.
How couldn’t JB have called yesterday and just step up a formal zoom?
Wake played a game Wednesday and their coach already did it.
100% agree. Just take the 10 minutes to reach out yourself and noone will have a reasonable complaint

Coach K took a shot at our fanbase saying we don't appreciate JB enough. Roy blistered his team last year.

I have no idea why people are salty about this. Kid quit, team won a couple since that. JB is going to shoot it straight.
I get Coach K defending JB but I disagree with his point.

The fanbase loves JB the criticism he is getting is pretty fair now.

JB is right to have his own opinion I just wouldn’t say what he said when it doesn’t help him one iota.
When it actually brought national commentators to take shots at him which are unnecessary.

Mac McClung is different thing.

Again other HOF coaches don’t say what he does.

I agree with all of that, but the national media gives those guys more favorable coverage than they do us so here we are.

Our problem as a program is that we recruit AAAA types that leave after two years. Our CJ Fair / Kris Joseph years are basically over. JB commenting about a kid who didn't make it to mid-February in the only year he was going to be at Duke doesn't matter. Change the one and done rule and be done with those types.

K blowing up that kid seemed to be in the news for days. Not that any of that matters at the end.

Roy and K are both egotistical old men too who say stupid stuff.

Our problem as a program is that we recruit AAAA types that leave after two years. Our CJ Fair / Kris Joseph years are basically over. JB commenting about a kid who didn't make it to mid-February in the only year he was going to be at Duke doesn't matter. Change the one and done rule and be done with those types.

K blowing up that kid seemed to be in the news for days. Not that any of that matters at the end.
I agree with a lot of this.
The 2022 NBA draft will have HS kids.

Our AAAA kids are playing out of position in a 100% zone defense. That hurts their professional aspirations.
JB talked about mixing in some man to man years ago in an effort to help recruiting when has he done that?

We can get those CJ Fair level players the problem is kids don’t want to sit on the bench and not play at all. If you have a really good team you can get away with it but those Fair type of kids will just transfer if they aren’t getting minutes as a freshman or sophomore.

Whoever asked JB the question is the real culprit. They knew what his response would be.

Well somebody better get ahold of the staff and tell them to quit wasting time on BHH and Justin Taylor because Twitter is mad at our head coach

Do you really think anyone believes we should stop recruiting kids because JB made dumb comments?

Most of the kids we’re recruiting weren’t alive when we won our national championship. Most weren’t even in middle school when Ennis was here and we had our great start. We haven’t been nationally relevant or consistently ranked since most of these kids have been old enough to really pay attention. Pointing to a bunch of accomplishments that happened before they were born or were in elementary school while our peers send them a link of JB looking like an angry, out of touch old man isn’t a great look.

You need talent to win. Perception matters when trying to get talented kids to come play for you. Social media factors into perception. JB continues to turnaround and fire shots into his own net to fuel the negative perception that makes he and the program less appealing to recruits.

Fans are frustrated on why he keeps making things more difficult for a program that has enough challenges right now as is.

You won't find K or Roy stepping on a kid like this. They know better. You see K's comment on that kid during the presser was very mild, almost to the point of trying to educate, and he apologized later. Roy cries after losing games about his players, acting or not the recruits and more importantly their parents see this. Does the coach care about my kid? I don't even think JB do personal visits like Calipari and Pitino more than likely it's the assistants doing everything and JB shows up to "close" which makes him seem more like the executive coach more than anything. I assume that's what he meant when he said "he" hasn't signed Dior Johnson or personally committed to anyone when DJ decommitted.

...and how did JB know the kid was hurting him? How did he know Duke was better without him? How did he know he was keeping others from playing? Was he there on the Duke practice court every day watching? Because if he wasn't, according to the JB's Law of Practices, he knows nothing. Unless of course those words were told to him by K, which in that case would make K look bad, may be K mentioned it to JB on a private chat knowing JB can't help but spill it publicly.

Last edited:

Our AAAA kids are playing out of position in a 100% zone defense. That hurts their professional aspirations.
JB talked about mixing in some man to man years ago in an effort to help recruiting when has he done that?

We can get those CJ Fair level players the problem is kids don’t want to sit on the bench and not play at all. If you have a really good team you can get away with it but those Fair type of kids will just transfer if they aren’t getting minutes as a freshman or sophomore.

We get them, they don't stay. It went from losing marginal lottery guys to the back of the first round to now just a camp spot. So JB being somewhat candid / pissy on a radio show doesn't seem to register.

My hope is Newton is one of those throwback kids who stays and develops.

Lot to cover since I've posted:

I posted the DragonflyJonez tweet because we should never be on his radar with stuff like this. If he's on it, it's not a good look and not the only one.

This whole thing is an unforced error by JB about a kid who was never going to really care about Duke, which Duke knew from the get go. When teams make these decisions, you need to deal with whatever happens.

We have potentially five or six regular season games left and we have ONE player at forward coming in for next year. How about JB focuses on his own house before going after a kid that's going lottery regardless of how you feel about his actions.

JB is perfectly capable of punting on the answer if he gets asked it. He knows what he's doing.

JB easily could’ve just said something like “he’s a talented kid, but sometimes the chemistry just isn’t right. Duke has been playing pretty well lately.”

Thing is CJ came right in and got minutes on a really good team.

Honestly thought early season Woody had some similarities to Fair, not in style of play but in “surprisingly” coming right in and looking like a solid contributor.

JB easily could’ve just said something like “he’s a talented kid, but sometimes the chemistry just isn’t right. Duke has been playing pretty well lately.”

Thing is CJ came right in and got minutes on a really good team.

Honestly thought early season Woody had some similarities to Fair, not in style of play but in “surprisingly” coming right in and looking like a solid contributor.
Exactly which is why Fair didn’t look to leave. He tried to go to the NBA after 2013 but came back because he wasn’t get drafted and the degree.

Status
Not open for further replies.