Duke's Jalen Johnson will forgo remainder of season, enter NBA Draft | Page 8 | Syracusefan.com

Duke's Jalen Johnson will forgo remainder of season, enter NBA Draft

Status
Not open for further replies.
Yeah I don’t know what is Pat is saying now.

I will say the negativity has reached the boiling point because of the status quo not changing.
I was harsher before the overall tone became harsh but have backed off as much as I don’t need to pile on.

I am a realist as I say. JB shouldn’t be commenting on Jalen Johnson. If he was asked about Duke. Just talk about Duke. Other coaches aren’t talking about Jalen Johnson.

The Wake Forest HC just played Duke and didn’t get into a discussion on Johnson.
JB should be smarter. If he isn’t and says what he did no matter if it’s right or wrong he opens himself up to nationally hot takers.

I am not going to say he was okay saying what he did when I don’t think it helps the program. Coach K wouldn’t say what JB said. Why not?

If the negativity is getting stronger and the team isn’t bottoming out what does that mean?
he was asked about Johnson not about Duke collectively

Whoever asked JB the question is the real culprit. They knew what his response would be.
IMO- this is really not that hard, fellas.
As Melo once famously said: "That's what Boeheim do". JB gonna JB, and after 40+ years its not totally unexpected. But that doesn't make it the least bit appropriate.
Why is he giving such toxic feedback on a kid who's not on his team? And no, "he was asked about it" doesn't qualify as justification, IMO. Frankly if I'm Coach K, I might be a little offended and try to protect the kid, regardless of whether he quit on me or not.
And I have no idea, nor do I want/need to know who Dragonfly Jonez is. But, yeah...I'm old so maybe I'm not as informed about "these kids today, with their MTV & whatnot". And if he is a big deal and is throwing this kinda shade at SU, then yeah...we should be somewhat concerned. Its just not a good look.
Bottom-line this was another stupid and insensitive comment about an issue he clearly could've punted on, and if I'm Jalen Johnson's parent or family member, I'm pissed about it. Very unnecessary, unhelpful, and tone deaf. JMHO

Last edited:
Who cares? The comment’s not even false, they HAVE been better since he left.

JJ doesn’t owe Duke anything, he made a business decision. Good for him, he’ll be richer than 92.6% of CNY in a calendar year.

Duke wished him well, he was on campus for all of 6 months, see ya later.

He made a big boy decision, and somebody made an insensitive comment about it and that’s a problem? JB’s a curmudgeon, it is what it is. If you want to use this as more ammo to build your case against him, tee off, if it’s not this it’s something else anyway.

if I quit my job for my own reasons to set up a better opportunity without “proper” notice, I’d be vilified too. Such is life.

God we’re so soft as a society sometimes.

Good luck JJ, sincerely. But I most likely won’t remember your name in three years.

Last edited:
He had 3 assists in 37 minutes last night and took the most shots for Arizona in their loss to UCLA. I actually watched the thing because I love Walton and Pasch.

That one game example is definitely true.

its also true he averages more assists per game than anyone on our team per 40. Including Kadary. Sooooooo...yeah

That one game example is definitely true.

its also true he averages more assists per game than anyone on our team per 40. Including Kadary. Sooooooo...yeah

I get back to my earlier point on that one that Hoya nation, as sparse and limited as it is, shrinking in relevance by the hour, appreciated JB on that one, backing up Ewing.

JB fed the hot take embrace debate ether that doesn’t care about context.
It just wants stuff to talk about.

JB needs to just be more careful.
JB doesn’t care but it freaking hurts the program for no reason.

I get back to my earlier point on that one that Hoya nation, as sparse and limited as it is, shrinking in relevance by the hour, appreciated JB on that one, backing up Ewing.

as long as it’s worth it to get props from Hoya fans vs getting dunked on by Bilas on espn and social media..I’m all for it.

as long as it’s worth it to get props from Hoya fans vs getting dunked on by Bilas on espn and social media..I’m all for it.

He backed up Ewing, he tends to back fellow coaches. Bilas on this knows that also. I find it more interesting that such a friend of Jim took a shot like that.

To me the story is that JB implied that Coach K kept better players on the bench to play Johnson and is now finding out that they are better players. I thought coaches see things in practice that tell them who the best players are and they play the players most likely to win the game for them.

This is JB being JB. He needs to keep his trap shut unless it deals with his own team. He acts like he needs to be the “protector” of college basketball. I would guess most coaches and fans could care less what a two-time NCAA infraction coach has to say about what is best about college basketball.

To me the story is that JB implied that Coach K kept better players on the bench to play Johnson and is now finding out that they are better players. I thought coaches see things in practice that tell them who the best players are and they play the players most likely to win the game for them.
Well said. And especially in light of the season-long back-n-forth re; Kadary, JG3, Buddy, Woody, et al. The irony speaks for itself.

Last edited:
You look at this fellow's site long enough it looks like we're close to having our own Jalen Johnson to worry about!!!!

"They got rid of a guy that wouldn't pass the ball to anybody and just shot it every time, and that's why they're good now," Boeheim said. "Patrick [Ewing] can't say that but I can. He lost two games for them by himself."

For as bold and out there as Boeheim's take on the Johnson situation is, however, it's not a totally far-out stance. Per data from Evan Miyakawa, who runs a college basketball advanced analytics site, Johnson is the only Duke player this season who has a negative team efficiency margin on the season factoring in impact and efficiency between offense and defense. Still, it's probably too soon to say whether it's going to help or hurt Duke in the long run."

Well said. And especially in light of the season-long back-n-forth re; Kadary, JG3, Buddy, & Woody, et al. The irony speaks for itself.
It would be like another coach saying man thank goodness Syracuse doesn’t play Woody Newton in the game. Or play Qadary more than he does.

JB is defending K for no reason when K won’t say what JB said publicly.

We need to cut ties with JB . This is highly inappropriate , should have kept his mouth shut. It’s not enough that our once proud program is in shambles now we get bad press to go with it.

Last edited:
You look at this fellow's site long enough it looks like we're close to having our own Jalen Johnson to worry about!!!!

I see what you did there.

Status
Not open for further replies.