Duke's match-ups vs Syracuse | Syracusefan.com

Duke's match-ups vs Syracuse

Trueblue25

Cali Award Magistrate; 2023 Cali Award Rushing Yds
Who on Duke will guard who on Syracuse's offense?

To start

Thornton on Ennis
Cook on Cooney
Hood on cj
Parker on Grant
Jefferson on Xmas

Plumlee takes Xmas when he gets in. Dawkins and Sulaiman get Cooney, when cook moves over to Ennis.
Assuming Hood will probably give Fair fits to say the least, and Cook is a good defender too, what are the favorable match ups for Syracuse?

I think Grant can take on Parker.

I think Xmas may be challenged, but if he stays active and tough he can win the matchup battle.

I don't know enough about Thornton or Dawkins as defenders.

I love several matchups. Duke doesn't play on either end like the types of teams that usually give us trouble. Sure, they could go crazy from three--and if they do, they'll be tough to beat [the same is true of any opponent we face].
--
That said, this is the first time they'll be facing the zone. Let's see how they execute against it--much easier said than done [and this point cannot be emphasized enough, IMO].

Let's Go Orange!!!

I think we could see Duke go with Cook, Sulaimon, Dawkins, Hood, Parker

They have played Parker at the 5 a number of games this year

Now that I think about it we're in a good position if Ennis can control the tempo of this game.

No matter who they put Hood on, it leaves competent scorers open.

If Hood's on Fair. Grant and Christmas should be free to cause havoc attacking the rim.

If Hood switches off to Grant, then Fair attacks the base line and 20 ft jumper.

Duke's defense plays right into us.

Cook has a bum ankle and it has been like that for a few games (it wasn't injured in the fsu game like shulman said tonight) from what I've heard. Not that it matters much.

If cooney can shake his defenders and knock down some threes, I think we'll be in good shape.

I have a lot of faith in Jerami and Ennis, both big game guys.

Cooney is absolutely huge in this game for us.

How far this dudes come.

BT-gxXACEAEBqOo.jpg

Never really heard of Dawkins until tonight. Looks like an x factor kind of guy.
From the games I've seen, he's a game changing offensive talent when he's on.

I think they'll at least start with Hood on Fair, but it wouldn't surprise me if Coach K tries to throw us a curveball at some point and moves him over to Grant and just takes his chances on CJ not feeling the mid-range jumper that day. I feel like that's probably what I would do anyways. Better to have Hood do his best on keeping Grant away from the hoop than to have Grant have his way with Jabari and get him in foul trouble.

At this point, if Grant is confident, is he guardable?

I love several matchups. Duke doesn't play on either end like the types of teams that usually give us trouble. Sure, they could go crazy from three--and if they do, they'll be tough to beat [the same is true of any opponent we face].
--
That said, this is the first time they'll be facing the zone. Let's see how they execute against it--much easier said than done [and this point cannot be emphasized enough, IMO].

Let's Go Orange!!!

All true but they have the rest of the week to prepare.

All true but they have the rest of the week to prepare.

Bring it.

We're not the #2 team for nothing. I've watched Duke all year--seen them play well, and seen them play poorly. I'd be shocked if our players don't come out breathing fire to take them on. We sure as hell won't be flat.

And when we're playing our game--I don't give a $@#$ who the opponent is, we're going to take them out.

I couldn't care less how much time they have to prepare. They haven't seen our zone--can't simulate it in practice.

Mail it in I guess . :(

I can routinely count on you to put words in my mouth.

K is one of the best strategists in basketball, so is our guy. They've coached side by side. JB even taught K the zone. Both teams will be well prepared.

I posted one sentence and you typed a snarky remark.

K is one of the best strategists in basketball, so is our guy. They've coached side by side. JB even taught K the zone. Both teams will be well prepared.

Welcome to my world

I was kidding with you.

Bring it.

We're not the #2 team for nothing. I've watched Duke all year--seen them play well, and seen them play poorly. I'd be shocked if our players don't come out breathing fire to take them on. We sure as hell won't be flat.

And when we're playing our game--I don't give a $@#$ who the opponent is, we're going to take them out.

I couldn't care less how much time they have to prepare. They haven't seen our zone--can't simulate it in practice.

I agree with this 100%, just saying K is brilliant and will have his team ready.

The one thing I was counting on, looking ahead to this matchup was having a huge rebounding edge. Duke has picked up that aspect of their game in the past few weeks, as Jefferson's gotten much better, Plumlee too. If we shoot well, we'll be fine, but if they go off from 3 like they did tonite, it could be tough. I hope Duke shot their wad tonight.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
DizzyNY

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom