Dumas says Mali Gone | Page 13 | Syracusefan.com

Dumas says Mali Gone

This is getting silly. Regret has nothing to do with it. You make the best, most informed choice for you. Then you live with it. If it were an easy choice everyone would make the same one. It's not. That's why it's best to leave it up the kid and sometimes his family.

It's funny how you quote my post about regret when every other poster in the thread is talking about regret on the other side.

I don't believe I ever claimed it was an easy choice and never said anything to the contrary to take it out of the kids and families hands which I actually stated that some families need help quicker than others like Dantes did and I even stated the 5 mil probably helped his family out more than it did playing for free in school. I'm sure you missed those posts as it didn't fit the agenda.

I've said 5 times in this thread and others the past 24 hours that I believe Mali is a guy who should stay but understand why every other guy who has left in the past decade I understand.

If the college game didn't expose weaknesses wouldn't every top 10 recruit be lottery picks every year?

CJ was absolutely exposed when he went from a 3rd option to the main option hence the reason he was slated to get drafted after his third year to sitting without hearing his name called after his senior year.

I used to lurk here when MCW declared and the same nonsense said about him and staying to develop his shot was needed. Well, I'm sure the dude has been working on his shot since he left and it didn't get better.

In Malis case if he gets a first round promise I think he should bolt, if he's 50/50 first or second round he needs to stay. You need to strike while the iron is hot because opportunities are few and far between in the league.

I'll admit I was wrong about MCW - what a lot of people found as a weakness (handle) didn't matter as much in the NBA - no undersized guys slapping at him all game long.

A first round promise to a guy like him, big promise. Guess we'll find out.

could game goes both ways.

mali has nothing to lose returning. some of us make it sound like oh its such a risk, well if you feel that way then syracuse is never going to win a title ever. Even if he gets hurt next year his draft stock would drop a bit, but he would still be drafted.
Hes got to good of seperation and driving game not to.

He he plays at the same level he did this year and doesn't improve then he won't get drafted after next year. I don't think that happens but I didn't think Kaleb would go from starting most of last year to not seeing the floor the second half of this season.

I'll admit I was wrong about MCW - what a lot of people found as a weakness (handle) didn't matter as much in the NBA - no undersized guys slapping at him all game long.

A first round promise to a guy like him, big promise. Guess we'll find out.

I always thought MCW would be better in the NBA than college because of the separation on the floor. If the dude wouldn't shoot as much as he does he'd be much better than he is now.

It should be interesting with Mali, he should stay because I think he is a guy that could just explode next year and actually improve his stock a lot.

That money goes quicker than you think, like other posters mentioned, its about that 2nd contract.
Which he was set to get from the Nets, then he got injured. More school wasn't preventing injury.

He's gotten other contracts making great money. They just weren't in the NBA.

Did you read the whole thing? Sounds more vague than me being "wrong", he sounds real regretful leaving early....

Melo also said he wanted to stay longer, he must be regretful too.

"Not saying I wasn't ready, but it would've been nice to have another year to be a kid. That said, I'm still in the league, still getting paid. There are guys from my class, at my position, that are out of the league right now and fighting to get back in. Guys that were drafted ahead of me."

Ghost said:
Good find, when this came up earlier, I was pretty sure Donte had stated explicitly he would have liked to have stayed another year.

And his reason is absolutely what many here have been saying. Gee a more mature person regrets not being a kid and the drag of the real world...even as a millionaire.

Shocking!

With absolutely no insight into the process, I would say the big difference is once you hit the NBA it's a lot more about how self-motivated you are. You have free time, money, distractions and if you aren't an Andrew Wiggins, you aren't going to be the priority.

If you're a mid to late round first round pick, or second round guy, they develop you in time for you to leave - to a certain extent it's not worth their time to go all out developing you. If you don't want to put the work in, they can take the hit.

In college, you're all in. The coaches are still dictating everything to you, you're still gunning for the NBA, the motivation is there and you will get better. In the NBA, eh, if you're having a lot of fun, and not putting in the work, you'll get passed over quickly and you may never notice it happening till you're overseas.

Who is that self-aware though to judge if they're that self-motivated? It's sort of like what JB said when speaking about kids giving effort, if you ask them they all think they're going 100% all of the time - if you show them the tape though, you can actually show them that they're not, and they don't get it until then. (I think he was speaking about Roberson when he said this)

If you're Wiggins, you're a franchise guy, they're going to put a lot of effort into ensuring you make it. Getting up into that range is huge, but that's only a handful of dudes.

You read that some teams, like the Pelicans are great with player development, and others suck. I'm sure the team matters a lot too.

Scottie Reynolds was a first team All-American and didn't get drafted. I love Warrick but he was never gonna be a "stud" in the NBA. He was kind of a tweener position wise and his athleticism wasn't going to be as much of an advantage in the NBA as it was in college.

Mali has a clear cut NBA position and has the tools (that he has to get better at, obviously) and size that you want for a 2G.

Hard to compare him and Hak

I can't believe how People on this board can't be objective and see that Mali to the NBA makes a lot more sense than a lot of these other early departures that SU has had to face in recent years.

two3zone said:
Did you read the whole thing? Sounds more vague than me being "wrong", he sounds real regretful leaving early.... Melo also said he wanted to stay longer, he must be regretful too. "Not saying I wasn't ready, but it would've been nice to have another year to be a kid. That said, I'm still in the league, still getting paid. There are guys from my class, at my position, that are out of the league right now and fighting to get back in. Guys that were drafted ahead of me."

You miss the first line stating he should have stayed another year?

It's kinda the point were trying to make here.

You asked me to find a player who regretting leaving when they did. I found one and now you don't like it.

Waaaah!

And his reason is absolutely what many here have been saying. Gee a more mature person regrets not being a kid and the drag of the real world...even as a millionaire.

Shocking!

You don't wish you had an extra year of no responsibilities?

Wow, an adult makes a statement stating he would love not to have responsibilities. That's shocking?

You miss the first line stating he should have stayed another year?

It's kinda the point were trying to make here.

You asked me to find a player who regretting leaving when they did. I found one and now you don't like it.

Waaaah!

Aren't you a classy moderator.

Pick and choose what you will about his quotes, he didn't sound regretful at all. But that doesn't fit your agenda.

Stay classy Mr Moderator.

two3zone said:
You don't wish you had an extra year of no responsibilities? Wow, an adult makes a statement stating he would love not to have responsibilities. That's shocking?

I was being sarcastic. Thought that was obvious.

I was being sarcastic. Thought that was obvious.

I know you were being sarcastic but I'm asking what human being wouldn't say that? Nothing written there about regrets and he reiterated that he was happy. But keep ignoring that quote.

AY5iqXxh.jpg

He had 5 million reasons to believe it, more reasons after shoe deals and other enforcements not including his money that was earned overseas.

Not a bad deal and enough money to go back and get an education if needed.

It would take somebody making 100k a year 50 years to earn what Donte did in 4 playing a game he loves fulfilling his dreams.

Agree that Green's case would qualify as a success. In the broader universe of college players there are wayyy wayyy too many players where leaving early would later be considered a big mistake. It's a crapshoot for a lot of these guys.

I wonder if Tim Duncan regretted coming back for 4 years. It's not for everybody, but there's something to be said for enjoying yourself and being a kid before it's too late. Once you leave, that part of your life is over and the pressure is on.

Aren't you a classy moderator.

Pick and choose what you will about his quotes, he didn't sound regretful at all. But that doesn't fit your agenda.

Stay classy Mr Moderator.

You're worse than a 3 year old. Seriously.

two3zone said:
Aren't you a classy moderator. Pick and choose what you will about his quotes, he didn't sound regretful at all. But that doesn't fit your agenda. Stay classy Mr Moderator.

Lol. Pick and choose quotes?

You asked me to find s player who regretted his decision to come out.

I found an article where players were asked specifically about their decision to leave after one year.

Donte's first response was "I would have stayed a second year".

And you claim I picking and choosing quotes. Holy crap-

Last edited:
Lol. Pick and choose quotes?

You asked me to find s player who regretted his decision to come out.

I found an article where players were asked specifically about their decision to leave after one year.

Donates first response was "I would have stayed a second year".

And you claim I picking and choosing quotes. Holy crap-

Why do you refuse to ignore the second paragraph where he's happy and making money?

He made a blanket statement that he'd love to be a kid again with no responsibilities like ANYBODY would and you take that as he's "regretful"? Come on Jake. You're much smarter than that.

two3zone said:
Why do you refuse to ignore the second paragraph where he's happy and making money? He made a blanket statement that he'd love to be a kid again with no responsibilities like ANYBODY would and you take that as he's "regretful"? Come on Jake. You're much smarter than that.

He said he would have stayed a second year. I don't know what to tell you. I don't know how more clearly he could be. The fact that you don't understand that is mind boggling.

I am smart enough to know that this means he wish he stayed. It's kind of a "mic drop" statement in this argument.

He said he would have stayed a second year. I don't know what to tell you. I don't know how more clearly he could be. The fact that you don't understand that is mind boggling.

I am smart enough to know that this means he wish he stayed. It's kind of a "mic drop" statement in this argument.

I read what he said and you've stated that multiple times, but it's easy to read the entire article about him and realize that it does not sound like a man who regrets his decision. I'll leave it at that and I see how you interpret it but the paragraph as a whole doesn't sound like somebody who regrets their decision.

doesn't sound like somebody who regrets their decision.

Gbinije come back this year he could have been making a paycheck. Look at Kris Dunn.
No reason to think Donte being the center of attention in 08-09 wasn't incentive for him to come back. That team lacked SF/PF the most and that was Donte's position. He bled orange. He doesn't have to say it publicly for us to read between the lines. Wonder what McCullough was thinking yesterday. We really could have used him out there.

When money is involved its always going to be black and white. I believe D league players make something around 40,000-50,000 a year last I checked. Thats pretty darn good money, and you get to be the center of attention. Who in their right mind would regret that fully? nobody that was making nothing their whole life, thats for sure.

Last edited:
Did you read the whole thing? Sounds more vague than me being "wrong", he sounds real regretful leaving early...

Melo also said he wanted to stay longer, he must be regretful too.

"Not saying I wasn't ready, but it would've been nice to have another year to be a kid. That said, I'm still in the league, still getting paid. There are guys from my class, at my position, that are out of the league right now and fighting to get back in. Guys that were drafted ahead of me."

Melo is a once in a generation player, if you are that good, of course you have to go, its the borderline kids who think they are ready that get hurt.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
KD95

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom