Dumas says Mali Gone | Page 14 | Syracusefan.com

Dumas says Mali Gone

Melo is a once in a generation player, if you are that good, of course you have to go, its the borderline kids who think they are ready that get hurt.

Oh trust me, I understand that, I'm just saying with Dantes quote that pretty much any person would like to be a kid an extra year before adulthood is pretty basic for any adult to say.

Gbinije come back this year he could have been making a paycheck. Look at Kris Dunn.
No reason to think Donte being the center of attention in 08-09 wasn't incentive for him to come back. That team lacked SF/PF the most and that was Donte's position. He bled orange. He doesn't have to say it publicly for us to read between the lines. Wonder what McCullough was thinking yesterday. We really could have used him out there.

When money is involved its always going to be black and white. I believe D league players make something around 40,000-50,000 a year last I checked. Thats pretty darn good money, and you get to be the center of attention. Who in their right mind would regret that fully? nobody that was making nothing their whole life, thats for sure.

G stayed because he wasn't getting drafted.

I'm sure McCullough is fine. Do you think G would change spots with him now? Cooney? Coleman? Joseph? I'd personally rather be in the NBA with a contract than play for the national championship.

Briancuse said:
Its not about being upset, its about what is best for the kid in the long run, and sometimes going back to school is whats best, its just sad that most kids just care about getting that first contract, and thats it.

I'm amazed by the number of people who think they know what's best for a kid.

I'm amazed by the number of people who think they know what's best for a kid.

Because people are talking about draft entering strategies they know what's best for the kid?

If one person says a kid should stay and the other says he should leave, aren't they both saying "they know what's best for the kid"?

two3zone said:
It's funny how you quote my post about regret when every other poster in the thread is talking about regret on the other side. I don't believe I ever claimed it was an easy choice and never said anything to the contrary to take it out of the kids and families hands which I actually stated that some families need help quicker than others like Dantes did and I even stated the 5 mil probably helped his family out more than it did playing for free in school. I'm sure you missed those posts as it didn't fit the agenda.

I don't have an agenda.

I think arguing over "sides" in this argument is an exercise in missing the point. Sorry it was your post I plucked; point remains: too many variables where we are privy to 1/3 of. And it's none of our business.

Because people are talking about draft entering strategies they know what's best for the kid?

If one person says a kid should stay and the other says he should leave, aren't they both saying "they know what's best for the kid"?

We watch all the games, we know our players strengths and weaknesses, no one is saying he should stay for four years, but the whole one and done thing is getting out of hand, so many players are leaving before they are ready, and they are hurting themselves in the long run, the Nba is always going to be there.

you and me are not division 1 college basketball players. neither have we played for syracuse. Lydon isn't richardson and richardson is lydon.

my point was D league money is good money, nobody regrets a decision that relates to good money. Heck half of america doesn't hesitate to move across the country for a good job opportunity. I don't believe any of these players that jump regret it fully. Even if we won it all in 08-09 donte probably still wouldn't have regretted it fully. I don't think Fab regrets syracuse for one second yet alot of us regret having him.

Briancuse said:
Do you think Malachi should declare for the draft?

I'm not an NBA GM so I have no idea. So I want him to stay? As a fan yes. Do I think he should stay? Who knows. Depends on what he and his family want/need and what the NBA people tell him.

Briancuse said:
We watch all the games, we know our players strengths and weaknesses, no one is saying he should stay for four years, but the whole one and done thing is getting out of hand, so many players are leaving before they are ready, and they are hurting themselves in the long run, the Nba is always going to be there.

In your opinion. We watch the games and think we have all the info.

If you're a player you're weighing:

- personal situation
- families situation
- girlfriends situation, maybe kids
- HoF coaches opinion
- AAU coaches opinion
- HS coaches opinion
- NBA scouts opinion
- outside influences (friends, mentors, etc)
- agents opinion
- academic realities

But yeah, you watch games and know. We have 1/10th the info.

I don't disagree with anything you're saying except that the NBA will always be there. It technically will be but the opportunity may not always be there.

In your opinion. We watch the games and think we have all the info.

If you're a player you're weighing:

- personal situation
- families situation
- girlfriends situation, maybe kids
- HoF coaches opinion
- AAU coaches opinion
- HS coaches opinion
- NBA scouts opinion
- outside influences (friends, mentors, etc)
- agents opinion
- academic realities

But yeah, you watch games and know. We have 1/10th the info.

Thats not what I am saying at all.

G stayed because he wasn't getting drafted.

I'm sure McCullough is fine. Do you think G would change spots with him now? Cooney? Coleman? Joseph? I'd personally rather be in the NBA with a contract than play for the national championship.
I couldn't disagree with this more. I have made my money. I am old now. If you told me that I could play 5 years in the nBA and make a million a year for those 5 years or I could play 4 years and make a million a year and play for the national championship that other year, no doubt for me. I would take the 4 years and the championship game. And never give it a second thought.

I couldn't disagree with this more. I have made my money. I am old now. If you told me that I could play 5 years in the nBA and make a million a year for those 5 years or I could play 4 years and make a million a year and play for the national championship that other year, no doubt for me. I would take the 4 years and the championship game. And never give it a second thought.

Can I have a million dollars?

What about winning the national championship and not playing a minute in the NBA and not making a dime in the NBA?

I do agree with you and your scenario though, id take the 4 years and the title as well.

Enlighten me

I think a kid should go through the process and get feedback, and if hes ready to go, then God bless, but if the feedback is he needs another year, he should come back.

What about winning the national championship and not playing a minute in the NBA and not making a dime in the NBA?

I do agree with you and your scenario though, id take the 4 years and the title as well.
You think that is a realistic choice? A guy doesn't go early one year and never gets another shot? I don't see it. And I am not advocating people staying. You pick fruit when it's ripe. But taking the long view, you only are young once. The older one gets, the more you realize that.

You think that is a realistic choice? A guy doesn't go early one year and never gets another shot? I don't see it. And I am not advocating people staying. You pick fruit when it's ripe. But taking the long view, you only are young once. The older one gets, the more you realize that.

I get that, I wish I took a year off between high school and college and toured Europe for the year and I didn't.

But it doesn't mean I regret my decision of not doing it, I just chose to do things differently and it all worked out. And by reading Dantes comments I was just looking at it with a similar scenario. Sure he would have loved to have stayed for another year but it doesn't sound like he regrets the decision. Hard to regret a decision that paid you millions and fulfilled your dreams.

A lot also depends on Mal's family situation. I was shocked, after watching Buddy Hield's piece on his family, that he came back. A lot of times the pressure to get your family and friends out of poverty weighs on you even if the better move is to come back. However, that year back is another year your loved ones struggle.

I get that, I wish I took a year off between high school and college and toured Europe for the year and I didn't.

But it doesn't mean I regret my decision of not doing it, I just chose to do things differently and it all worked out. And by reading Dantes comments I was just looking at it with a similar scenario. Sure he would have loved to have stayed for another year but it doesn't sound like he regrets the decision. Hard to regret a decision that paid you millions and fulfilled your dreams.

At the moment, but what about as he gets older?

At the moment, but what about as he gets older?

Maybe he goes back and forth, I really don't know. But I think that anybody who goes to college for one year and makes millions of dollars (I'm guesstimating he's probably made 6-8 million total) would be considered a success.

Dante is a strange case, if he stays who knows what happens, does his stock go up? Does it go down? Does he stick around for 4 years because the original options weren't open? Does he become a lottery pick? Lots of different questions and the one he chose wasn't the scariest scenario.

The only people who are affected by age are superstars.

If your a role player/average starter and enter the NBA at 22-23 you will be a FA by 27-28 and unless your a superstar you will get a decent contract in FA if your good.

Having to go into the league at 20-21 isn't the smartest thing unless you have preoven you are an NBA player as you may never get that second contract.

Look at a guy like Jae Crowder he went to JC and played 2 years at Marquette. Was a 2nd round pick played his rookie deal and now got 35 million last year by earning it.

NBA players ages don't matter it is all about being NBA ready to contribute in a rotation.

There's just so much risk involved in staying. To riff on two3zone's example, it's like being offered your dream job out of college (maybe working at Google or Goldman) right when you are about to go off and backpack Europe with your best friends. You can say no, backpack, and hope that you're just as desirable after a year, but it's a risk. Maybe next year you get an even better position in the same company because the economy is doing great and there's huge need. Or maybe they don't look at you the same way because you're older or the professor who recommended you isn't as influential anymore. You may not be successful if you take the job, but you may not even get the opportunity if you don't. There's no universal right answer, just choices and risk.

The only people who are affected by age are superstars.

If your a role player/average starter and enter the NBA at 22-23 you will be a FA by 27-28 and unless your a superstar you will get a decent contract in FA if your good.

Having to go into the league at 20-21 isn't the smartest thing unless you have preoven you are an NBA player as you may never get that second contract.

Look at a guy like Jae Crowder he went to JC and played 2 years at Marquette. Was a 2nd round pick played his rookie deal and now got 35 million last year by earning it.

NBA players ages don't matter it is all about being NBA ready to contribute in a rotation.

I tend to agree that ability matters the most. Of course! But what if you were never going to make it anyway? Look at KrisJo. I believe he made about 190k in the NBA. If he'd left after his sophomore year (or was it junior) I believe he was projected as a 1st rounder. If he'd done that, he'd have made around 1.5-2 mil. minimum. The difference between 190k and 2 mil is HUGE for a regular guy. That's the other risk. It's not always about making 35 million instead of 5 million, sometimes it's about making 2 instead of 0.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
CuseEagle8

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom