Dumas says Mali Gone | Page 11 | Syracusefan.com

Dumas says Mali Gone

That's absolutely not true. There are many many more stories of regret for leaving early than staying too long.

How many former Syracuse players do you think regret leaving early?

That's absolutely not true. There are many many more stories of regret for leaving early than staying too long.

It's a crazy system that seems built on maximizing the likelihood of a bad outcome. The odds of Mali even having a pedestrian NBA career are low. It is ultra competitive to say the least. Yet the longer he waits it is just as likely his draft status erodes rather than improves. If he could be assured of first round status then I'd say go otherwise he's crazy unless he longs to play in the D league. Playing the probabilities - his best bet would be to stay in school and get a degree.

Not many have left early. I'll start with one well documented case: Donte' Greene. Name one Syracuse player that regrets not leaving early? Your side of the argument has hundreds more to choose from.

Last edited:
Not many have left early. I'll start with one well documented case: Donte' Greene.

Name one Syracuse player that regrets not leaving early?

paul harris should have left earlier...

Bacon, Beasley, Ingram, Crawford all had better Freshman seasons than Richardson. We need more offense as a team and Richardson averaged 13.6.

I like Richardson but he could take the leap to get his average up to 18 PPG.

How isn't improving your PPG 4-5 in one year something to boost his stock. If Richardson gets drafted this year it is mid-late first round. Hakim Warrick stayed 4 years, was a first team All-American and went 18th.

Richardson could stay another year make first team all-ACC and get drafted in the teens.
Scottie Reynolds was a first team All-American and didn't get drafted. I love Warrick but he was never gonna be a "stud" in the NBA. He was kind of a tweener position wise and his athleticism wasn't going to be as much of an advantage in the NBA as it was in college.

Mali has a clear cut NBA position and has the tools (that he has to get better at, obviously) and size that you want for a 2G.

Hard to compare him and Hak

Harris left early and later stated he regretted how his career ended at SU due to his own immaturity.

His decision to leave early, really wasn't his.

But you're right, his best bet may have been to leave after HS. Once in college it became apparent that his skills didn't translate to college like most thought.

The whole American concept of "someone else should go to college and not pursue their professional dream" slays me. If my son has a chance to go straight to playing soccer for money vs going to school first, heck yeah, go chase the dream. He can always go to school. And if he is older when he goes, it will be more about school and less about beer and women.
My attitude about that really changed back in law school. A classmate of mine had played 4 years of college baseball, and had gotten hurt in rookie ball. He actually got a call in our second semester to go to the Indians camp. I remarked how glad he must be that he had gotten his education to fall back on. He told if he had to do it over, he would have turned pro out of high school. He lost 4 years of chasing his dream.

Briancuse has dug himself a trench so deep on this position he has drilled through the earth's core and has ended up popping out of the other side of the planet.

Capt. Tuttle said:
The whole American concept of "someone else should go to college and not pursue their professional dream" slays me. If my son has a chance to go straight to playing soccer for money vs going to school first, heck yeah, go chase the dream. He can always go to school. And if he is older when he goes, it will be more about school and less about beer and women.

The argument isn't school vs $. It's $ vs $$$$$$$$$.

Not many have left early. I'll start with one well documented case: Donte' Greene. Name one Syracuse player that regrets not leaving early? Your side of the argument has hundreds more to choose from.

CJ Fair

Isn't one contract better than zero contracts?
So you think when he goes to the NBA (whenever that is) he won't have a contract.
Ideally, they want to sign the 2nd contract when under 30 YO, to maximize the $ and years.

So you think when he goes to the NBA (whenever that is) he won't have a contract.
Ideally, they want to sign the 2nd contract when under 30 YO, to maximize the $ and years.

Ok. I get and understand that. But wouldn't you want one contract instead of no contract?

Melo is the perfect example of this

Have you spoken to him lately?

Aren't you the one who said McCullough regretted it? Get out of here. Lol

Cj was on every draft board after his junior year, second round. Came back and nothing. You don't think there's regret?

The argument isn't school vs $. It's $ vs $$$$$$$$$.
Specifically speaking in Malachi's choice or as a general rule applying to 95% of draftees?
I would throw time in there as well to the general rule.

unc had a guard and a pf come back this year who were both probably ready for the pros. I know were not UNC, but its not like they were promised a title this year in any way or form.
His choice with a :) but kids don't necissarilly have to grow up so fast. Your only young once.
The NBA and the Dleague aren't crappy jobs though by any means.

Aren't you the one who said McCullough regretted it? Get out of here. Lol

Cj was on every draft board after his junior year, second round. Came back and nothing. You don't think there's regret?

His jumper didn't get worse.

I don't get the notion of having kids leave early before the college game "exposes" them. And it's kinda funny to think such a nut cutting industry as the NBA will invest a few years to stash and develop a kid.

Kids tend to get a lot better at SU the longer they stay. Mali going is nuts, he has nothing NBA ready or close. Lots of 6'5" volume shooters out there.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
whodatnatn

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom