Dumas says Mali Gone | Page 9 | Syracusefan.com

Dumas says Mali Gone

College basketball isn't a cutthroat situation? Ask Kaleb Joseph, top 50 recruit who isn't playing.

Kaleb Joseph has had every opportunity to play, and is still getting everything that all other scholarship players are getting. That hasn't changed.

If you don't perform in the NBA, you get cut and you don't have a job anymore.

Is it your opinion that every player on every team, made the right decision to go pro?

Not at all! Absolutely not there have been horrific moves going pro but here in Syracuse I think our former guys made the right decisions.

Kaleb Joseph has had every opportunity to play, and is still getting everything that all other scholarship players are getting. That hasn't changed.

If you don't perform in the NBA, you get cut and you don't have a job anymore.

And you have the money in the bank to finish college and be financially stable while you're doing it. So rough.

How about Buddy Hield who stayed 4 years, had he gone to the nba, he might have been a first round pick, now he is a top ten pick, because he worked on his game.

FWIW nbadraft.net has three upperclassmen in the lottery (2 Sr 1 Jr.)

How about Buddy Hield who stayed 4 years, had he gone to the nba, he might have been a first round pick, now he is a top ten pick, because he worked on his game.

Again, how many times does this happen? How many seniors or juniors are drafted in the lottery or even the entire draft compared to underclassmen?

Again, how many times does this happen? How many seniors or juniors are drafted in the lottery or even the entire draft compared to underclassmen?
Well, a big difference between going to in the lottery and going 32. Anyone that can go in the lottery, should go. No doubt about it. But I have my doubts that mali would go in the first round.

It happens more than you think, its not just upperclassmen, it could be that freshman who decides to stay for his soph year.

It happens more than you think, its not just upperclassmen, it could be that freshman who decides to stay for his soph year.

I totally get where you're coming from but there are expiration dates on these guys unless they do something remarkable like a Dunn or Heild

Well, a big difference between going to in the lottery and going 32. Anyone that can go in the lottery, should go. No doubt about it. But I have my doubts that mali would go in the first round.

I have my doubts as well and as I stated in a pervious post (this debate was about players in general not Mali) I think it's a big mistake if Mali leaves early. I'm not sure he's a first rounder.

I totally get where you're coming from but there are expiration dates on these guys unless they do something remarkable like a Dunn or Heild

I don't buy the whole expiration date reason.

Dunn's another guy, could have left early, came back had a great year, and is now a top five pick.

Why won't G be a lottery pick with his size, athleticism and stats?

Because he isn't quite lottery material, he wouldn't even be getting drafted if it wasn't for this terrific senior season that he had.

Because he isn't quite lottery material, he wouldn't even be getting drafted if it wasn't for this terrific senior season that he had.

What makes Mali lottery material and G not? If Mali played here for 4 years I honestly believe he'd have trouble matching Gs numbers from this year. G had all American numbers and Malis numbers weren't exactly impressive. 22% shooting on 2 point jump shots, under 40% from inside the arc total and his 3 point shot didn't exactly light the world on fire.

What makes Mali lottery material and G not? If Mali played here for 4 years I honestly believe he'd have trouble matching Gs numbers from this year. G had all American numbers and Malis numbers weren't exactly impressive. 22% shooting on 2 point jump shots, under 40% from inside the arc total and his 3 point shot didn't exactly light the world on fire.
Mali isn't getting drafted anywhere near the lottery.

Mali isn't getting drafted anywhere near the lottery.

Hypothetically if Mali stayed, what would he have to do to play into being a lottery pick next year?

If you can't stick with the NBA team the entire season I don't understand leaving early.

If Malachi want to go I support him 100%. I just don't see him not getting set down to the D league next year.

He would get paid but his development would be in a league where all the players are looking out for themselves and trying to get to the show. If he is a solid first round pick I get going but he is probably a prospect grabbed late for potential and those guys have to work their butts off. I hope he goes to the combine and listens to what the NBA people tell him. If they tell him go then go if they recommend another year come back.

Hypothetically if Mali stayed, what would he have to do to play into being a lottery pick next year?
College players improve the most from their Freshman to Sophomore year. Malachi is not a finished product. He can work on his mid-range game, work on posting up smaller guards, and improving his shooting.

He could improve big time. He wasn't one of the top 15 players in the ACC last year. How about doing that. Syracuse fans are too sensitive to this stuff. He isn't ready. If he goes to the combine and is told otherwise then go. If he goes he will be supported 100%

College players improve the most from their Freshman to Sophomore year. Malachi is not a finished product. He can work on his mid-range game, work on posting up smaller guards, and improving his shooting.

He could improve big time. He wasn't one of the top 15 players in the ACC last year. How about doing that. Syracuse fans are too sensitive to this stuff. He isn't ready. If he goes to the combine and is told otherwise then go. If he goes he will be supported 100%

I agree with you and I personally believe he should stay, but to improve his draft stock does he have to be a top 15 ACC player?

Substantial improvement by players needs to happen for them to go from undrafted to drafted or improve their stock. Mali can improve but if it's just a slight improvement it's possible he never gets the NBA call.

Again, that's hypothetical if he doesn't improve, I have zero doubt if Mali stayed he can put up a great season and boost his stock.

Bacon, Beasley, Ingram, Crawford all had better Freshman seasons than Richardson. We need more offense as a team and Richardson averaged 13.6.

I like Richardson but he could take the leap to get his average up to 18 PPG.

How isn't improving your PPG 4-5 in one year something to boost his stock. If Richardson gets drafted this year it is mid-late first round. Hakim Warrick stayed 4 years, was a first team All-American and went 18th.

Richardson could stay another year make first team all-ACC and get drafted in the teens.

This years draft class is considered one of the worst in years. The tourney has only reinforced this by the way teams lead by upperclassmen dominated by games. The reason that I think Malachi should at least "test the waters" this year is next year's draft class will be much better and if he has a bad year, which is completely possible since defenses will focus on him then he could completely lose the opportunity to get drafted in the first round. He is a 20yr old freshmen so age will become a factor by his junior year.

Allot of angst in this thread folks...let's enjoy the final 4 run we just had that nobody was expecting...see how it translates on the recruiting trail and let's see what Mali actually does before getting confused or frustrated by a decision that I don't think has even been made yet...rumor on recruiting board is we are looking good with Quade...that's a good thing...

If Mal comes back for another year he will be a lottery pick.

Bacon, Beasley, Ingram, Crawford all had better Freshman seasons than Richardson. We need more offense as a team and Richardson averaged 13.6.

I like Richardson but he could take the leap to get his average up to 18 PPG.

How isn't improving your PPG 4-5 in one year something to boost his stock. If Richardson gets drafted this year it is mid-late first round. Hakim Warrick stayed 4 years, was a first team All-American and went 18th.

Richardson could stay another year make first team all-ACC and get drafted in the teens.

In that scenario boosting his ppg total as well as improving his percentages.

I get what Warrick did but we're also talking a decade ago.

Look at the upperclassmen projected in the lottery, they had years that are just insane and years that are extremely hard to for any player to replicate.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
CuseEagle8

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom