Dungey To the Browns??? | Page 3 | Syracusefan.com

Dungey To the Browns???

That hip injury is going to get worse with every game. Mayfield has regressed even with Odell, I think his window is closing anyways. Why do you think they signed him? I assume he is 100% healthy and rested now and when they gave him a look a week ago they thought he could be a player.

Mayfield isn’t out. You said he had a serious injury. I thought I had missed something but obviously I didn’t.

That hip injury is going to get worse with every game. Mayfield has regressed even with Odell, I think his window is closing anyways. Why do you think they signed him? I assume he is 100% healthy and rested now and when they gave him a look a week ago they thought he could be a player.

He’s a #1 overall pick which means when they are out of the playoffs he’s getting shut down to be preserved for the future or just getting some time off.

Hopefully Dungey is doing well in practice.

No guarantee they don’t sign a guy with experience off the street instead of promoting Eric to the roster. But there’s not much out there. Patriots are wasting a spot on Cody Kessler and that dudes almost as bad as Gilbert.

He’s a #1 overall pick which means when they are out of the playoffs he’s getting shut down to be preserved for the future or just getting some time off.

No guarantee they don’t sign a guy with experience off the street instead of promoting Eric to the roster. But there’s not much out there. Patriots are wasting a spot on Cody Kessler and that dudes almost as bad as Gilbert.
The problem with drafting a QB from a super power factory school is that they never had the walls coming in on them like they do in the NFL or at less overall talented college teams like Syracuse. Not many of them can adjust to the constant defensive pressure and not seeing their receivers open by 5-10 yards. If they want to baby him because he's their no. 1 pick that's fine, but I havn't seen it work with many of those kind of guys.

I think Baker is ridiculously overrated. He has a moxie about him that's good at times, but overall, works against him. He's too cocky, especially when he's playing like crap. Looked great in college playing for one of the best offenses year in and year out. Biggest issue is this year is with his accuracy.

Their OL is not very good, so that's where a mobile QB would be more effective. Eric was incredible outside of the pocket. Better accuracy, moved the chains with his feet, allowed receivers to run free.

I would love to see the kid get a chance, but it's a long road to get there. Devlin Hodges for the Steelers started tonight, but that's after a season-ending injury to Big Ben and then a vicious concussion knocked Rudolph out last week. The chips need to fall nearly perfectly.

Best thing for Eric is that the longer he sticks, the more other front offices are aware of what he can do. He's slowly adding stops to his NFL resumé.

The problem with drafting a QB from a super power factory school is that they never had the walls coming in on them like they do in the NFL or at less overall talented college teams like Syracuse. Not many of them can adjust to the constant defensive pressure and not seeing their receivers open by 5-10 yards. If they want to baby him because he's their no. 1 pick that's fine, but I havn't seen it work with many of those kind of guys.

Yeah.

The best teams always got the best recruits in general but college quarterbacks not so much. Right now it’s clear the most talented guys are playing behind the best O Lines and throwing to the best WRs in college not used to seeing Bama or LSU have an elite QB.

I watched Td have a sec or two most of the time while I watch Oklahoma qb sit back there with 4-6 sec to throw with 3of 4 receivers open bye 5 yards. These aren’t used to pressure.

I watched Td have a sec or two most of the time while I watch Oklahoma qb sit back there with 4-6 sec to throw with 3of 4 receivers open bye 5 yards. These aren’t used to pressure.
They aren't use to struggling and losing either.

I think Baker is ridiculously overrated. He has a moxie about him that's good at times, but overall, works against him. He's too cocky, especially when he's playing like crap. Looked great in college playing for one of the best offenses year in and year out. Biggest issue is this year is with his accuracy.

Their OL is not very good, so that's where a mobile QB would be more effective. Eric was incredible outside of the pocket. Better accuracy, moved the chains with his feet, allowed receivers to run free.

I would love to see the kid get a chance, but it's a long road to get there. Devlin Hodges for the Steelers started tonight, but that's after a season-ending injury to Big Ben and then a vicious concussion knocked Rudolph out last week. The chips need to fall nearly perfectly.

Best thing for Eric is that the longer he sticks, the more other front offices are aware of what he can do. He's slowly adding stops to his NFL resumé.

I'm a life long Browns fan...so, I watch all of their games. This year I've seen the Browns/him play in person twice. On a Sunday night in Cleveland against the Rams, and last Monday night at San Francisco. Cleveland's O line is pretty piss poor, it was a huge question mark coming into the season. Baker is constantly running for his life, and has basically no time to go through his progressions if his number one option isn't open. Also, his receivers have dropped a -ton of "catchable" balls, especially for NFL level receivers. Many of those drops/deflections have ending up as interceptions.

For instance, in yesterday's game it was the case in 2 of his 3 picks. Last week in the San Francisco game, Callaway was running parallel with the goal line and should've caught the ball to bring the Browns to 14-10 halfway through the 2nd. Instead, Callaway acts as if he's trying out for a juggler in the circus, and he kicks it right to a SF defender who runs it back to mid-field. A few plays later, SF scores to make it 21-3...game over.

His accuracy or lack thereof this year is mostly tied to running for his life, and games where the Browns are down late and just trying to make a play, so forced.

On an aside, the Browns got hosed by the refs on several calls yesterday just atrocious at the NFL level as it clearly had an impact on the game's outcome. Many national commentators have mentioned this since yesterday's game.

Last edited:
I'm a life long Browns fan...so, I watch all of their games. This year I've seen the Browns/him play in person twice. On a Sunday night in Cleveland against the Rams, and last Monday night at San Francisco. Cleveland's O line is pretty piss poor, it was a huge question mark coming into the season. Baker is constantly running for his life, and has basically no time to go through his progressions if his number one option isn't open. Also, his receivers have dropped a -ton of "catchable" balls, especially for NFL level receivers. Many of those drops/deflections have ending up as interceptions.

For instance, in yesterday's game it was the case in 2 of his 3 picks. Last week in the San Francisco game, Callaway was running parallel with the goal line and should've caught the ball to bring the Browns to 14-10 halfway through the 2nd. Instead, Callaway acts as if he's trying out for a juggler in the circus, and he kicks it right to a SF defender who runs it back to mid-field. A few plays later, SF scores to make it 21-3...game over.

His accuracy or lack thereof this year is mostly tied to running for his life, and games where the Browns are down late and just trying to make a play, so forced.

On an aside, the Browns got hosed by the refs on several calls yesterday just atrocious at the NFL level as it clearly had an impact on the game's outcome. Many national commentators have mentioned this since yesterday's game.

I too am a life long browns fan and between Cleveland's disappointment and Syracuse's I'm ready to take a weekend off and go rake leaves for a change.

In that division, I don’t think they will be out of the playoffs early. 9-7 or even 8-8 could win that one.

In that division, I don’t think they will be out of the playoffs early. 9-7 or even 8-8 could win that one.
Their schedule is extremely front heavy, with SF, Rams, Seattle, NE and @Balt in their first 7 games while Balt has played Mia, AZ, Pitt and Cincy. The Browns will likely be 2-5 after the Pats but could go 8-1 to close out with their second half schedule.

I too am a life long browns fan and between Cleveland's disappointment and Syracuse's I'm ready to take a weekend off and go rake leaves for a change.
Same here. In fact I've been a Browns (probably 1974) fan longer than SU (1979) because I didn't watch college football really until our family moved and my new friends got me into it. The late 80s/ early 90s were great for me, football wise. The last 20 have pretty much sucked.
I was so excited for football this year and it's been a really tough 6 weeks.

Garrett Gilbert is the worst qb I’ve ever seen and only on the team due to his friendship with Mayfield. Good spot to be #3.

Didn’t they change the rule about letting 3rd QBs dress and not count towards the roster limit?
They dropped that availability a # of years ago.

5? 6?

With all the running QBs now, Dungey is perfect practice running game fodder for the 1s.

Then have your #2 do the passing plays.

They dropped that availability a # of years ago.

5? 6?

With all the running QBs now, Dungey is perfect practice running game fodder for the 1s.

Then have your #2 do the passing plays.
What running QB's?

Sure, there have been misses, but some of this blame is on Baker's shoulders. For instance, he has a high % of throws that have missed his targets too high. Yes, the OL is bad, so why isn't he running more? He was known for his mobility at Oklahoma, so all of sudden he's no longer capable of it? He's effective when he starts moving around.

I stand firm that Baker is overrated and last year he was the benefactor of a bunch of late game success in garbage time.

Sure, there have been misses, but some of this blame is on Baker's shoulders. For instance, he has a high % of throws that have missed his targets too high. Yes, the OL is bad, so why isn't he running more? He was known for his mobility at Oklahoma, so all of sudden he's no longer capable of it? He's effective when he starts moving around.

I stand firm that Baker is overrated and last year he was the benefactor of a bunch of late game success in garbage time.

They won 6 games with him as the starter.

He also ran for a TD Sunday.

By comparison Darnold won 4 games as a starter and was complete trash even in garbage time.

By comparison Darnold won 4 games as a starter and was complete trash even in garbage time.

I know he ran for a TD this Sunday, I have him in a 2-QB fantasy league. What happened after the hot start? Complete garbage.

I know he ran for a TD this Sunday, I have him in a 2-QB fantasy league. What happened after the hot start? Complete garbage.

Wasn’t my point. There’s a lot of evidence from last year he’s capable, but people create their own narrative.

I see you're a fantasy guy, well, that's enough for me to conclude you are fixated on stats vs. actually watching the games live in which he played in. And, your comment about being a benefactor of a bunch of late game success in garbage time solidifies your ignorance here. As many have discussed recently in the last couple of weeks relative to our offensive difficulties, stats hardly encompass the much broader picture.

I see you're a fantasy guy, well, that's enough for me to conclude you are fixated on stats vs. actually watching the games live in which he played in. And, your comment about being a benefactor of a bunch of late game success in garbage time solidifies your ignorance here. As many have discussed recently in the last couple of weeks relative to our offensive difficulties, stats hardly encompass the much broader picture.

LMAO. So you're placing my football knowledge on a fantasy comment?

Good grief, conversation over. Enjoy the Browns ineptitude at QB.

All I know is at this point, none of them are making me wish the Giants drafted a QB in 2018(I know Baker was off the board), the way many insisted they should have. And for that reason I’ve been following all those 2018 QBs very closely and I still think none of them are “can’t miss”, and all of them have a long ways to go - which is normal for young QBs. I’m not sold on any of them being future stars yet.

I’m very happy with the Barkley/Jones haul. And those that claim they should’ve went QB last year and defense this year...I’m as happy with Dexter Lawrence(17th pick), as I would be with any other defensive guys we could’ve picked at 6.

Kinda feel like a lot of teams are better off pounding the ball on the ground(Browns being one of them), and think the “ah just plug any old RB in) thing is overblown. The Giants have picked a lot of RBs in the late rounds the last decade or so, and almost every single one of them sucked.

Lamar Jackson, Patrick Mahomes, Deshaun Watson, Russell Wilson, even Aaron Rodgers.

They may not all run a lot downfield. But they are all mobile with reputations for making plays with their legs.
All those guys will run opportunistically but it's not designed plays that a defense can plan for. Kaiser just wants to continue putting Dungey down in a back handed manner. The reason ED ran at Syracuse was because he calculated, correctly, that the highest chance of making key plays was for him to do it himself. That kept defenses off balance and made last years o-line appear to be stronger than this years o-line, which it wasn't at least that much. Neither year could they line up and run the ball at will. They don't have the horses to do it. If Dungey played on a team with a real power run game, I'm sure he would have been more than happy to hand the ball off to a back and let them do the heavy lifting. He did what he had to do for the team to succeed.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
CoachDiddi

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom