Eddie Lampkin #44 - DC not happy? | Page 6 | Syracusefan.com

Eddie Lampkin #44 - DC not happy?

I would argue Bing is our MJ not DC but that’s me. Forget the era he played in - Bing is that guy not DC.

Our most decorated player not named Bing is Melo who didn’t wear 44… not to mention the most relevant player to kids today. The time to make 44 an ongoing staple has long gone. If Eddie brings attention to it as someone else mentioned, without all the hoopla being it’s his old number then it could be a win win.
Yes

He is off base. He knocked Red while doing this. How is that helpful to our school and program? It isn't.
Yeah my biggest issue is that he’s calling out Red and staff in the tweet. DC seems to have some kind of beef with Red here as well and I was wondering if anything to do with him making 2 hires from “outside the family”.

This is only important to old men who’s prime is well in the rear view mirror.
As I said earlier, tradition is a very strong motivator. If the story is crafted correctly, and presented to young men by the right person, they will want to be part of that tradition.

The #44 could become a huge selling point for lottery pick big men.

Right now, it's lost in the past. But it doesn't have to be. Red breaking the ice with Lampkin might be the right strategic move.

Maybe he's got bigger moves on the horizon?

Just my opinion, but so what? If we were to give someone #15, I wouldn't freak out. To me, that number means more to me than 44 in basketball. View attachment 242359

44 means something in football. Basketball, not as much. We didn't retire 44 in hoops.

Was DC a great player? Absolutely. Wallace? Schayes? You betcha. But until they retire the number, it's still just a number.

Mandel Robinson wore 44 for football. I don't remember Jim Brown having an issue. Sometimes things work out, sometimes they don't.

Hopefully, Lampkin plays up to DC's level. If so, we're looking at a pretty good season. If not, it doesn't tarnish DC's legacy a bit.
No fanbase handwrings jerseys, uniforms, numbers and the way things used to be more than this one. Good gravy…who gives a crap?!?!

To be fair, Derrick Coleman may be as important as any player we've ever had. He stayed 4 years. His first team came within a foul shot or two of winning the championship for the first time for Syracuse. That was a great moment for SU. He has been a geat cheerleader, also.
DC was a very important player for Syracuse. But he is behind Bing, Pearl and Melo. And until now he has been a great cheerleader but so has Bing and Melo. And the late Pearl was as well.

DC was a very important player for Syracuse. But he is behind Bing, Pearl and Melo. And until now he has been a great cheerleader but so has Bing and Melo. And the late Pearl was as well.
Don't disagree, and wouldn't be upset if nobody ever wore their numbers.

Thank God the number is back I don't care what it took but the former players look selfish and like clowns trying to block this taking it out of circulation is one of the dumbest things the university has ever done. DC didn't have a problem with Wallace wearing it?

Derrick will get over it I'm sure give him a day or two.

Do I think he should have aired his grievances on Twitter rather than through a phone call? No.

Would I be pissed off if I were him? Absolutely.

Giving a one year mercenary who already tried to play the program THAT number probably wasn't a great decision. But whatever. Was probably a non-negotiable for Lambo Ed.
What if we offered Jesse Edwards it when he was negotiating with us and WVU? Might have convinced him to come back and we would have avoided the bad year we ended up having. What if this was one of Lampkins conditions to not take the TCU or A+M bag?

Just happy its back what a ridiculous and stupid move by Gross to kill our only tradition. We don't retire numbers just jerseys for players.

I think DC is mad because the university tried to stop him from using 44 for some business opportunities. It is messed up on their part. SU needs to back off that copyright claim with DC. He deserves some respect. That said, I don’t know why he’s calling out Red. Even if DC disagrees about giving Eddie #44, we don’t need any negativity around around our new coach, who’s a fellow Orange basketball alum!
Good point here the University did do something stupid and put lawyers on him when he was trying to make a few bucks off a number he wore throughout his NBA career.

Still I'm glad Lampkin stuck with it and look forward to it being back for football.

DC is a legend too bad he isnt acting like it.
He’s broke, he’s always been crazy

I take offense to him dragging boeheim into this after being critical of Jimmy too for his entire 4 years on the hill

DC needs to calm down. His voice is truly irrelevant to me . Let the school decide not guys living off their nba pension

What if we offered Jesse Edwards it when he was negotiating with us and WVU? Might have convinced him to come back and we would have avoided the bad year we ended up having. What if this was one of Lampkins conditions to not take the TCU or A+M bag?

Just happy its back what a ridiculous and stupid move by Gross to kill our only tradition. We don't retire numbers just jerseys for players.
What does Daryl Gross have to do with this?

44 was retired in football, not basketball.

We havent had guys lately that were worthy of it.

Going back I could see giving to:
Rick Jackson-solid career
Rak based on recruiting rep, although he didnt play like a DC or JW till Senior Year
DC 2.0 would have been perfect but had injury riddled career
Fab Melo, RIP, infamous ending
Chris McCullough, hyped but played 11 games
Darius Bazley-never made it to campus

Never thought of giving it to Brisset, Guerier, Marek, Benny etc

It just goes to show how far our talent has dropped that we are giving it to a 1 year mercenary rental but that's todays landscape

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
cusethunder

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom