Embarrassed about our fan base | Page 2 | Syracusefan.com

Embarrassed about our fan base

Can we get off the fans asses, please? We double Toledo's attendance and they should have won yesterday.

Here are some major programs we beat in attendance: Top 10 Stanford, Maryland, Northwestern, Top 5 Boise State, Boston College, Duke, UConn, Cincinnati.

We equal (or are close to it) Top 25 USF's, Baylor, Arizona State, Indiana, and many others.

And the vast majority of those programs have much more attractive schedules than Syracuse (at this time).

Stop your bitching about the fans.

This very well may be true, however, one can argue none of the aforementioned schools has the rich tradition or history that SU has in football...this comparision kind of has the feel of when the bb team beats up on all them cupcakes every November/December...whip de do!

It's the perception it gives though, especially for recruits...the 'ol adage of you only have one shot for a good first impression...

Yes, it does happen EVERYWHERE as you imply. However, there's a huge difference (perception) when a few fannies leave a packed 90k stadium vs. a few leaving an already half empty 49k seat facility...

Being a fan is expensive, time consuming, and at times heart-wrenching. Some enjoy it more than others (like all of us here) If we are going to throw the responsibility of "RECRUITING" on the plate of being a casual fan...then things are really messed up. I am not going to pin recruiting wins/losses on high school players on the plate of the fans. It may matter, but what do you want to do have the Dome lock the doors at kickoff and not let people out? Yell at fans as they leave games? Revoke their tickets for future football events. It's insane the logic that is thrown around here.

Don't let other people NOT going or leaving early effect your enjoyment on the game. Why it would is beyond me. If it does bother you that much, seek some help!

I sat by a couple visiting friends in Syracuse - Mich fans who have been to Mich games - and they couldn't believe how loud it was in the Dome with it being only about half full. They came away impressed with the "potential" of how the Dome could really be very loud and a "factor" in pumping up the players like they do in Mich. They really felt bad for the team with so few fans and it being such a great game. They liked the experience and potential and hope Mich plays here one day - I really didn't know what to say except I'm a little embarrassed about our fan base.
On TV, the Dome and the home crowd and the atmosphere, make it like one of the worst D-1 college football venues in the country.

On TV, the Dome and the home crowd and the atmosphere, make it like one of the worst D-1 college football venues in the country.

typical negative post , are you ever happy?

Then you don't watch a lot of college football. I saw a North Carolina game a week or 2 ago that looked like it was being played on the LeMoyne Campus with a few thousand people there. Empty seats everywhere and a stadium which from the blimp view looked well, bad!

Being a fan is expensive, time consuming, and at times heart-wrenching. Some enjoy it more than others (like all of us here) If we are going to throw the responsibility of "RECRUITING" on the plate of being a casual fan...then things are really messed up. I am not going to pin recruiting wins/losses on high school players on the plate of the fans. It may matter, but what do you want to do have the Dome lock the doors at kickoff and not let people out? Yell at fans as they leave games? Revoke their tickets for future football events. It's insane the logic that is thrown around here.

Don't let other people NOT going or leaving early effect your enjoyment on the game. Why it would is beyond me. If it does bother you that much, seek some help!

It really doesn't have any affect of my enjoyment of the game or bother me personally...to each their own...it is what it is...the perception is real, however.

I have never in my life read or heard any Syracusan say traffic in Syracuse is horrible. Not once.

Just because people in Central NY don't like traffic doesn't mean they think traffic is bad in Syracuse. That's probably one of the reasons why many of them choose to reside in Syracuse...because the traffic is not bad in comparison to big cities.
Then you have not been reading these boards very long. Numerous posts every year on hoops and football boards about needing/wanting to get out early to avoid traffic.

Happens frequently.

44cuse

WVU played #1 LSU on prime time, National Television, College Gameday, etc.

SU played Toledo...at noon...on local broadcast.

Apples vs. oranges.

I never said it was the same thing. He just said it wasn't full and I corrected him. That's all... I do doubt that Syracuse would fill the dome against LSU, sadly

I never get this and never will....once again, how do other people NOT going to the game or other people leaving early effect YOUR ENJOYMENT OF THE GAME?

Why do you care what other people do? I saw a bunch of people leave once the 4th quarter ended, I think they are stupid. But I didn't think about it for more than 2 seconds or get worked up over it. Who cares! I don't care what other people do. It doesn't effect me or the time I had.
It doesn't effect my enjoyment of an individual game. But most intelligent fans see the correlation between attendance and recruiting. When recruits visit and have a great experience, but then see a half empty stadium, it doesn't reflect well on Syracuse. That hurts recruiting which hurts the product on the field. It's all connected. That's why it bothers a lot of fans because they know attendance and fan interest is very important in taking this program to the next level.

If they build it, they will come. If the program becomes successful again, people will come. It is also critical to play teams with more appeal than Toledo. Who the $#@! cares about Toledo.

I agree about people leaving early - don't understand it - I'm always there until the joyful or bitter end.

Let's Go Orange!

typical negative post , are you ever happy?
Well, I'm happy when I look on this forum and don't have to read one of your typical stating the obvious posts. BTW, have you been spending your time monitoring Dion's facebook page?

I don't know why it bothers me - and you're absolutely correct that it shouldn't bother me - but it does. I suppose I'm offended on behalf of the players and coaches who put in so much work yet get such a tepid response from their alleged supporters. And I'd be lying to say that I'm not concerned about the future of the program; as Rahme says, recruits notice this behavior.

I'm thrilled with the result of the game, though, and that's all that matters.

You have summed up my feelings beautifully. I feel the worst for the coaches, who have done a tremendous job getting this team back to respectability and the players who have to run out of the tunnel to polite applause and a half-filled stadium. Coach Marrone must just shake his head when he walks out of the tunnel to that nonsense. Oh well, I'll continue to make the drive up and hope that some of the locals can begin to care a little bit.

Well, I'm happy when I look on this forum and don't have to read one of your typical stating the obvious posts. BTW, have you been spending your time monitoring Dion's facebook page?

I txt him now and send him new pics of myself in front of the bathroom mirror.

If they build it, they will come. If the program becomes successful again, people will come. It is also critical to play teams with more appeal than Toledo. Who the $#@! cares about Toledo.

I agree about people leaving early - don't understand it - I'm always there until the joyful or bitter end.

Let's Go Orange!
The opponent shouldn't matter. You're there to watch YOUR team. I understand certain games with certain opponents have appeal. But Ohio State, Michigan, Alabama, etc have 100k when they play south west Texas state A&M tech. Our fan base makes excuses like "give me a better opponent" or "make things cheaper." they are old excuses, and just that, excuses.

The opponent shouldn't matter. You're there to watch YOUR team. I understand certain games with certain opponents have appeal. But Ohio State, Michigan, Alabama, etc have 100k when they play south west Texas state A&M tech. Our fan base makes excuses like "give me a better opponent" or "make things cheaper." they are old excuses, and just that, excuses.

Bingo!

Let's be pragmatic for a moment. The reason why Ohio State, Michigan, Alabama, PSU, LSU, etc. draw so well is because they are the team of the State in which they play. Nearly everyone in Pennsylvania (at least outside of immediate metro philly and metro pittsburgh) identifies with PSU as its State school. It's a source of pride for them, after all, they are all Pennsylvanians (not to mention they pump 15,ooo alumni out every year).

Who in NY identifies with Syracuse University, other than current students and alumni and locals (immediate Syracuse area)? I enjoyed the few years i lived in Central New York, but I can tell you, outside of metro Syracuse, everyone else thinks its a hole (I disagree but who the am I). Hell, I would wager 50% of the people that actually live in Syracuse would agree its glory days are well behind it.

As soon as folks on this board come to terms with what Syracuse University is, and where it is, they will be less disappointed to only see 38k in the Dome for Rutgers this weekend. I don't disagree that recruits want to play in a packed house in front of 100,000 fans, but the reality is that is not what Syracuse is. And with the academic reputation of the school falling, Marrone and Gross better be working extra hard at a new way of making Syracuse attractive to recruits.

Let's be pragmatic for a moment. The reason why Ohio State, Michigan, Alabama, PSU, LSU, etc. draw so well is because they are the team of the State in which they play. Nearly everyone in Pennsylvania (at least outside of immediate metro philly and metro pittsburgh) identifies with PSU as its State school. It's a source of pride for them, after all, they are all Pennsylvanians (not to mention they pump 15,ooo alumni out every year).

Who in NY identifies with Syracuse University, other than current students and alumni and locals (immediate Syracuse area)? I enjoyed the few years i lived in Central New York, but I can tell you, outside of metro Syracuse, everyone else thinks its a hole (I disagree but who the **** am I). Hell, I would wager 50% of the people that actually live in Syracuse would agree its glory days are well behind it.

As soon as folks on this board come to terms with what Syracuse University is, and where it is, they will be less disappointed to only see 38k in the Dome for Rutgers this weekend. I don't disagree that recruits want to play in a packed house in front of 100,000 fans, but the reality is that is not what Syracuse is. And with the academic reputation of the school falling, Marrone and Gross better be working extra hard at a new way of making Syracuse attractive to recruits.
But nothing you said there has anything to do with price or opponent which are the two excuses people in this area cling to as to why they don't go to games.

When I moved to Syracuse, one of the first funny things I discovered is how people complain about the traffic. If you're a local, sorry, but you have no idea how ridiculous you sound to outsiders. Bad traffic in CNY means it takes 12 minutes to get where you're going instead of 10.

I still remember when Channel 3 started a traffic report. Literally every morning they would throw a blank map on the screen and some voice over guy would talk about how nothing was wrong. They dropped it after only a month or so after someone (probably a non-local) finally figured out how ridiculous it looked.

Absolutely right! Knoxville traffic is 10 times as bad as Syracuse and even it isn't considered bad compared to major cities. One of the things I miss about CNY is the ease with which I could get around.

If a recruit doesn't want to come here cause Billy Bob and his wife in Sec 213 leaves early, then what does that say about the recruit? I mean seriously. This stuff happens EVERYWHERE!! It does!! But in a 90,000 seat stadium it goes un-noticed. In a 49,000 seat stadium it stands out more. But it happens everywhere. It's not a big deal. I mean the Yankees were winning the World Series in 2009 and in the top of the 9th for the final outs half the seats behind home plate were empty. People left or were in a bar inside the stadium. Is that an insult to Jeter and Rivera?

Actually it doesn't happen everywhere. We're not talking about people leaving in the middle of the 4th during a blow out. We're talking about people leaving during a tie game with their team having a chance to win. You'd never see that in the SEC or Big 10 (12). I'd venture to guess you wouldn't see that at WVU or VT games either (teams that we've been superior to or on par with for much of our existence). Also, you can't compare college football to MLB. It's apples to oranges. In regards to the recruit and what it says about him, it says he wants to play for a team whose fanbase cares, and I absolutely can't blame him for that. The recruits that we would like to eventually get are guys that can go wherever they want. Why play for a team with a good coach and a sucky fanbase ( e.g. SU) when you can play for a team with a good coach and a rabid fanbase (e.g. Alabama).

Hey Nirvana, do you want me to spell your handle correctly? You must have registered when the name was limited to 12 characters.

Sure, bees. If you could that'd be cool.

Then you have not been reading these boards very long. Numerous posts every year on hoops and football boards about needing/wanting to get out early to avoid traffic.

Happens frequently.

44cuse

Since 1999.

Just because someone wants to get out early to avoid traffic does not mean they think traffic is bad in Syracuse in comparison to other cities.

Actually it doesn't happen everywhere. We're not talking about people leaving in the middle of the 4th during a blow out. We're talking about people leaving during a tie game with their team having a chance to win. You'd never see that in the SEC or Big 10 (12). I'd venture to guess you wouldn't see that at WVU or VT games either (teams that we've been superior to or on par with for much of our existence). Also, you can't compare college football to MLB. It's apples to oranges. In regards to the recruit and what it says about him, it says he wants to play for a team whose fanbase cares, and I absolutely can't blame him for that. The recruits that we would like to eventually get are guys that can go wherever they want. Why play for a team with a good coach and a sucky fanbase ( e.g. SU) when you can play for a team with a good coach and a rabid fanbase (e.g. Alabama).

When we reach the point where we're only losing recruits to programs like Alabama and other SEC/Big Ten programs, then your argument will be more relevant. I hope we get to that point. THEN we can all whine about attendance.

When we reach the point where we're only losing recruits to programs like Alabama and other SEC/Big Ten programs, then your argument will be more relevant. I hope we get to that point. THEN we can all whine about attendance.

Not according to Dave Rahme.

Dave Rahme isn't god. His word isn't gospel. Sorry to break it to ya

Based upon your track record, I'll take Rahme's informed, insider perspective any day over your unsubstantiated viewpoint.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
AlCuse

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom