Ennis Nba tidbit | Page 2 | Syracusefan.com

Ennis Nba tidbit

First, he really struggles to finish in transition. He's missed a ton of contested breakaway layups this year, way more than MCW ever did..

:crazy:

If anything... he tends to miss easy layups... he is excellent IMO with contested layups.

I'm not old enough to remember but that's the exact comparison my dad (a former college coach) makes.

When you watched Mo you always thought he was in slow motion and then the guy he just passed to scored, or he just made a midrange jumper, or he just beat you on the break or off the dribble. He was a master at change of speed and change of direction.

I kind of think Ennis would get eaten alive physically in the pros at this stage. He's gotta get much stronger and be able to get to the rim with more ease. He's got that almost down at this level, but the next level will be so much more difficult.

I kind of think Ennis would get eaten alive physically in the pros at this stage. He's gotta get much stronger and be able to get to the rim with more ease. He's got that almost down at this level, but the next level will be so much more difficult.
Another thing on that - when he gets to the rim he sometimes struggles to finish at this level. What's gonna happen in the NBA? He may literally shoot 30% if he goes pro.

Another thing on that - when he gets to the rim he sometimes struggles to finish at this level. What's gonna happen in the NBA? He may literally shoot 30% if he goes pro.

Yeah, exactly. Maybe he needs to continue excelling at the craftiness part of the game, but lately he has had more trouble getting to the rim. He's been settling for the short fadeaways. While he's made a good chunk of those, how will he do that against 6'5" NBA guards? More and more I think TE is a GREAT college PG, who will struggle with the athletic/physical portion of the NBA game.

I don't think it really is a surprise. With the slow pace that Ennis likes to play at, coupled with his relatively tiny frame, I don't think he is ready for NBA play.
People keep saying Ennis is small. Sure, when compared to MCW last year. But the average height of an NBA point guard is 6'1. So Ennis is average, not below average at his size.

tyler's game imo has dropped back a gear since all this NBA draft talk started. don't really know if it's the added weight of scrutiny or if finally all the minutes are taking a toll. either way he'll have a big decision to make this spring but i hope he can keep his head clear til the finish line.

Yes, I've noticed that, too. I think he's thinking out there a bit too much. He was playing a bit more instinctively earlier i the year.

For all the people talking about Ennis' flaws, remember that returning to college only works if he can dramatically fix them. With a young team next year, can he duplicate his success? Will SU be as good? There are a lot of factors that impact the timing of leaving, and improving on weaknesses is a very small portion.

The best way for any athlete to gain size and strength would be to be doing so under the training of pro S&C coaches and with the money to have a personal chef/nutritionist. It's not going to be living on Skytop and eating at Goldstein.

I thought exactly this same thing about MCW. MCW was FAR WORSE at finishing through contact than anybody else we've had in a long time (save Paul Harris who got blocked or stuffed by the rim about 65% of the time). Also MCW had to "work on his shot." So Ennis has exactly the same weaknesses MCW did except MCW has elite length and much better court vision. Ennis' major weakness is court vision - he misses open guys an awful lot. His second bggest weakness is running the fast break.

So if you combine his lack of size, relative weakness in vision and runningthe break - he is missing several things MCW has that have helped make him hugely successful in the NBA.

But this is all wasting time - Ennis is gonzo. Grant is gonzo. I know each and everyone of us can come up with reasons that that may not be true, but those are just emotions messing with us. They are not coming back.

I thought exactly this same thing about MCW. MCW was FAR WORSE at finishing through contact than anybody else we've had in a long time (save Paul Harris who got blocked or stuffed by the rim about 65% of the time). Also MCW had to "work on his shot." So Ennis has exactly the same weaknesses MCW did except MCW has elite length and much better court vision. Ennis' major weakness is court vision - he misses open guys an awful lot. His second bggest weakness is running the fast break.

So if you combine his lack of size, relative weakness in vision and runningthe break - he is missing several things MCW has that have helped make him hugely successful in the NBA.

But this is all wasting time - Ennis is gonzo. Grant is gonzo. I know each and everyone of us can come up with reasons that that may not be true, but those are just emotions messing with us. They are not coming back.

Good point on the court vision. Either it's a weakness of his or he plays way to conservative, especially in transition. MCW was always trying to attack, whether on the break or off the dribble. Ennis does that to an extent, as it what is there for him to take. MCW also found teammates for easy looks underneath a lot more often than Ennis has. I don't know if that's solely a result of their play or the pace/style in place.

If Ennis is always going to be a slow-it-down, game manager type PG, he'll probably have a lengthy NBA career, but it will certainly have a lower ceiling that your normal 1st round PG.

MCW had things that TE will never have...his height and length. And he may also have the innate ability to push the ball and take risks. MCW also takes the majority of his NBA shots inside the restricted area (402 out of 708), something I can't ever see Ennis doing at that level, while struggling at 40% from the floor. Here's his shot chart, by the way.

For all the people talking about Ennis' flaws, remember that returning to college only works if he can dramatically fix them. With a young team next year, can he duplicate his success? Will SU be as good? There are a lot of factors that impact the timing of leaving, and improving on weaknesses is a very small portion.

The best way for any athlete to gain size and strength would be to be doing so under the training of pro S&C coaches and with the money to have a personal chef/nutritionist. It's not going to be living on Skytop and eating at Goldstein.

I respectfully disagree about the size comment... I gained plenty at Goldstein... Not so much strength though! :)

I have just recently started paying attention to this, and you're right. He always looks for TC, which is good, but he misses other wings or open big men at times that he should see.

mike or henry?

tumblr_lp32i4YnIO1qay78vo1_400.jpg
I played one on one against him when he was on the Knicks. (Don't ask about the results)

If he comes back, he needs to do the one thing that Gerry McNamara never did - work on his body during the summer - use weight training and diet to get yourself in tremendous shape.

If GMac worked as hard on his body as J.J. Reddick did during his time at Duke, Gerry would still be in the NBA. If Ennis comes back and has the same body and the same physical skills that he has now, there wouldn't be much point. He needs to get stronger and he needs to get more explosive. His basketball skills are very good; it's his physical attributes that he needs to improve.

And remember, if you're good enough to go in the lottery, it's not about the first contract, it's about the second one. Nobody gets rich off their first contract anymore. The NBA's collective bargaining agreement has been driving down the cost of rookie contracts for over a decade now. It's the second contract that changes your life. The first contract, even if you're in the lottery, isn't that hard to go through after taxes, agent fees and buying yourself (or your mom) a house.

Would scouts have much of an idea either way?
The scouts are contacting family, HS coaches, college coaches, etc. Should we be scouting your guy for this year or next. They have to do the due diligence background checks, etc.

IthacaMatt said:
If he comes back, he needs to do the one thing that Gerry McNamara never did - work on his body during the summer - use weight training and diet to get yourself in tremendous shape. If GMac worked as hard on his body as J.J. Reddick did during his time at Duke, Gerry would still be in the NBA. If Ennis comes back and has the same body and the same physical skills that he has now, there wouldn't be much point. He needs to get stronger and he needs to get more explosive. His basketball skills are very good; it's his physical attributes that he needs to improve. And remember, if you're good enough to go in the lottery, it's not about the first contract, it's about the second one. Nobody gets rich off their first contract anymore. The NBA's collective bargaining agreement has been driving down the cost of rookie contracts for over a decade now. It's the second contract that changes your life. The first contract, even if you're in the lottery, isn't that hard to go through after taxes, agent fees and buying yourself (or your mom) a house.
matt, come on. Gmac was never an nba level guard no matter how hard he had worked.

Ennis is an over all better player with a much greater skill set than MCW had at this time last year. If you don't think so then ask yourself this. Who would you want running your team. I think most would say Ennis hands down.

Personally I hope he does stay. Way too easy for a kid to go pro these days. The NBA eats kids like this on a daily basis. Yeah there's the injury factor but IMFAO it's worth waiting a year to learn the game and enjoy being a kid while you can.

He's Maurice Cheeks if any of you guys are old enough to know who that is.

Mo Cheeks factoids

6' 1" 180

HS DuSable Chicago Il

College West Texas A & M 4 years where he scored 1227 points for 11.6 avg & dished out 6.4 assists per game for the last two years.

He was a 67.8% FT shooter

Cheeks was the #36 overall pick in the 1978 draft by Philly

Played 15 years, 11 with Philly

Four time all star

Had 3 trips to the NBA finals

Enjoyed one NBA championship in 1983

Known for unselfish play & defensive skills was named to 4 straight NBA defensive teams

Ranks 5th all time in steals & 1th in assists

Coached 3 different NBA teams in 9 seasons & was fired 3 times most recently this year by Detroit after 50 games

Last edited:

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
FbBarbie

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom